BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    M5 CS - A Supercar In Disguise - Catchpole on Carfection

01-08-2022, 05:18 PM   #89
Chicane_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 CS + other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicane_ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlees View Post
Wish I'd bought one when they were discounted by 15k - harry etc al have pushed the price upto over 20k above MSRP
When was that exactly? 🧐
From announcement through to the first wave in August, you could get MSRP and small discounts. It was the drag race YouTube videos from Throttle House in early August that was the turning point (those videos got millions of views in a couple days). I had a small discount on my order which arrived in early August cause it seemed poised to depreciate like any M5, and I dropped out of it (as well as other life reasons). Big regret but I'll live.

Lesson learned, never drop out on a collector car with great 0-60 times. 0-60 times sell more than anything else, there is a reason Tesla is doing so well.

There were already great reviews from EVO and Chris Harris that were focused on driver dynamics (like this carfection video) prior to the first wave last year that had absolutely zero impact on the cars value.

The carfection video has only 115k views right now. If it was titled "M5 CS outdrags a Carrera GT" it would have 1.0 mil views.
A similar phenomenon happened with the 765LT. Interest levels spiked once the public realized it could run low-mid 9's without AWD or hybrid assist.
This is why BMW will probably never make a RWD M3 after this generation. The xdrive M3 dominates 0-60 and that's all that 90% of buyers care about.
Unfortunately that is an accurate assessment although I'm confident the CSL will be RWD. Hoping BMW hits it out of the park.
Appreciate 1
ScullyD5160.50
      01-08-2022, 06:05 PM   #90
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR4 | L405 SC SWB

fantastic videography as usual from this group

Instagram@particulardude
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 08:46 PM   #91
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2015 Renault RS275R  [9.50]
2019 Renault RS280  [10.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
Great vid & review as usual from Henry. I'm definitely not the demographic for the M5CS but it's obviously a great car.
Just glad to see they are still producing such high performance vehicles amongst the myriad of EV turds being served up with an M badge attached.
F87EVO4026.50
      01-08-2022, 10:23 PM   #92
neoprufrok
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
great video, but...

But the CS isn't close to supercar levels.. let's stop the nonsense. lol
Disagree. Drove my friends. It is the best car I've driven since my Touring and my 675LT. I own a supercar and a Manthey Racing GT3 Touring. This car is amazing. It is a 4 door supercar and driven properly is damn good.

Supercar levels is not about objective numbers. It's about the feel and the ability to place the car precisely and the power and brakes.. all things it has.
2018 Porsche Graphite Blue Metallic GT3 Touring Manthey Racing and Akrapovic
2018 BMW Yas Marina Blue M4 Competition Convertible
Appreciate 7
ScullyD5160.50
Chicane_1050.00
Davil6467.50
dazzapb1050.00
      01-09-2022, 06:40 AM   #93
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

Quote:
Quote:
Wish I'd bought one when they were discounted by 15k - harry etc al have pushed the price upto over 20k above MSRP
When was that exactly?
quote was originally from uk coast 2 coast cars when it first hit their discount car site, no one had driven it and everyone hated it - why would you buy a m5 that was £140k?

At the time bmw were knocking off 27k off a m5c, doing bmw divide (0% apr) and delivery in 10 weeks on a customised order..

guess which way I went
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 07:31 AM   #94
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
When was that exactly?
quote was originally from uk coast 2 coast cars when it first hit their discount car site, no one had driven it and everyone hated it - why would you buy a m5 that was £140k?

At the time bmw were knocking off 27k off a m5c, doing bmw divide (0% apr) and delivery in 10 weeks on a customised order..

guess which way I went
You bought a Benz?!
      01-09-2022, 03:55 PM   #95
x622
Forced Induction Connoisseur
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC / 23 720s

Garage List
2024 G87 M2  [0.00]
2023 Mclaren 720s  [0.00]
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
1964 Ford Mustang  [0.00]
1968 Pontiac GTO  [0.00]
Quote:
I had just gotten the 600LT, and i was kinda stuck at that time. Then when i tried to inquire about it, there was insane (and still is) insane ADM on it. I can't stomach 100k over for a car. So i found an out of state dealer who netted me a nice lump sum on the 600, and he had an allocation for a 720 spider, so i took it. Awaiting carrier assignment now..
Mac dealers are utter trash to deal with in my experience. I had the option to grab a 765LT at MSRP and passed on it, and I still don't really feel bad about it. I can't handle the interior build quality and how they fall apart with just a few thousand miles.

I'm looking forward to the '23 turbo s allocation significantly more. Have you looked into a SF90? Ferrari Scottsdale has a lot of allocations and will hand them out at MSRP without much fuss. Perhaps not a great take rate?

I will also say this, I love my M5CS so far, but I would be much more excited if they stuffed this exact same drivetrain into a much lighter 4 series chassis and gutted it. My issue with sedans is that they're always compromise cars compared to a real fuck-you supercar like I think you're trying to convey. If they shoved the S63 into a 4 series with AWD and gave you CSL level weight reduction, would that be a supercar in your definition or does it have to be a bespoke platform?

If it has to be a bespoke platform, are any mclarens supercars since they basically use the same Monocoque chassis?
      01-09-2022, 10:39 PM   #96
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

Overrated reviewer. Way too melodramatic. Hard to watch. Unsubbed a long time ago.

Hard pass on the M5 CS for me. The last good looking M5 was the E39 with the AC Schnitzer kit.
      01-10-2022, 08:51 AM   #97
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by x622 View Post
Mac dealers are utter trash to deal with in my experience. I had the option to grab a 765LT at MSRP and passed on it, and I still don't really feel bad about it. I can't handle the interior build quality and how they fall apart with just a few thousand miles.

I'm looking forward to the '23 turbo s allocation significantly more. Have you looked into a SF90? Ferrari Scottsdale has a lot of allocations and will hand them out at MSRP without much fuss. Perhaps not a great take rate?

I will also say this, I love my M5CS so far, but I would be much more excited if they stuffed this exact same drivetrain into a much lighter 4 series chassis and gutted it. My issue with sedans is that they're always compromise cars compared to a real fuck-you supercar like I think you're trying to convey. If they shoved the S63 into a 4 series with AWD and gave you CSL level weight reduction, would that be a supercar in your definition or does it have to be a bespoke platform?

If it has to be a bespoke platform, are any mclarens supercars since they basically use the same Monocoque chassis?

would agree with you about Mac dealers are trash. But i did find one good one for service (which i ship my car to, and i also live in between two dealers who i refuse to give my business to) they have been great with me. And as for my 720 purchase, the dealer i have been dealing with nw has been excellent so far.... we'll see if anything changes when 720 arrives.

SF90 doesn't interest me at all. Nice looking car and obviously blistering fast, but i'll stick to fuel... lol.

I dont think supercar in my mind has to be bespoke. But supercar to me definitelty isn't something weighing 4000 pounds. The feel is entirely different in a car weighing less
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 01:57 PM   #98
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: bicycle

The title of the video is "super car in disguise". Meaning it has the performance and guts of a super car but dressed with too many doors and the engine in the wrong place.

I like to use the lay or the non "car guy" person as my definer of super cars. If they see it and say it's a super car than it ls a super car. They don't ruin it with stats, performance numbers or similar arguments noted in this thread. Car guys ruin cars. Never will any of the non car people call out a 4 door car as a super car. And that's a good thing. Because they should stand out. A super car should be super eye catchy, super fast, super expensive and most importantly super sexy. all that is what makes them a super car. They should stand out in every way and never blend into the crowd. You buy this M5 because you want an awesome, fast and practical car and it's a nice humble brag. You buy a super car because of the exclusivity, rarity and to let everyone know you made it.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 02:24 PM   #99
Chicane_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSurfer View Post
The title of the video is "super car in disguise". Meaning it has the performance and guts of a super car but dressed with too many doors and the engine in the wrong place.

I like to use the lay or the non "car guy" person as my definer of super cars. If they see it and say it's a super car than it ls a super car. They don't ruin it with stats, performance numbers or similar arguments noted in this thread. Car guys ruin cars. Never will any of the non car people call out a 4 door car as a super car. And that's a good thing. Because they should stand out. A super car should be super eye catchy, super fast, super expensive and most importantly super sexy. all that is what makes them a super car. They should stand out in every way and never blend into the crowd. You buy this M5 because you want an awesome, fast and practical car and it's a nice humble brag. You buy a super car because of the exclusivity, rarity and to let everyone know you made it.
Interesting that you didn't mention anything about the driving experience in your last sentence. I think that's the primary reason why people buy supercars.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2022, 03:23 PM   #100
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Interesting that you didn't mention anything about the driving experience in your last sentence. I think that's the primary reason why people buy supercars.
If people bought super cars solely for driving experience, which is subjective I guess, most of the sales of those vehicles would be far lower than they are. I haven't driven many but I know Lamborghinis for a fact and as my example are insanity. The entire car is a blind spot, visibility is non existent, the cars are so low that you have to adjust your route based on the roads conditions. parking lots, parking garages and driveways? Forget about it unless you researched the spot prior. You can't even back a Lamborghini up without opening the door and sitting on the door sill or having someone guide you. All of that to me adds up to "driving experience". My M3 blows all of that out of the water. I can see everything, I can drive it on any public street and park it anywhere I want, plus the performance is more than enough for any public streets. Lamborghini on a track or an open road is probably a different story.

That being said, if money were no option, I would definitely throw a few super cars into the mix but not for the amazing "driving experience", I'm a car guy who likes beautiful cars and if I was on an island alone I'd still want one just for myself.
Appreciate 1
BMWM5NYC496.00
      01-11-2022, 04:17 PM   #101
malrash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M5 CS

^^^ I agree with you. Supercardom is about exclusivity more than the driving experience. Stepping out of a supercar would actually make me conscious and uncomfortable given the state of the world. I’d rather enjoy my relative good luck discreetly…..in an M5 CS
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 04:31 PM   #102
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
The funny part is, they made more McLaren 720s (765 cars globally) than BMW is going to make of the M5CS.

So, perhaps our M5CS is more of a supercar than some actual supercars. lol

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 2
      01-11-2022, 05:10 PM   #103
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Stig View Post
The funny part is, they made more McLaren 720s (765 cars globally) than BMW is going to make of the M5CS.

There are only 765 McLaren 720S globally? Doesn't seem right.
2024 718 GT4 RS | Arctic Grey
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 05:31 PM   #104
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiM3 View Post
There are only 765 McLaren 720S globally? Doesn't seem right.
You're right. I looked at the google results too quickly. There are only 765 of the 765LTs, globally.

There are probably thousands of 720s.

'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 06:11 PM   #105
Chicane_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If people bought super cars solely for driving experience, which is subjective I guess, most of the sales of those vehicles would be far lower than they are. I haven't driven many but I know Lamborghinis for a fact and as my example are insanity. The entire car is a blind spot, visibility is non existent, the cars are so low that you have to adjust your route based on the roads conditions. parking lots, parking garages and driveways? Forget about it unless you researched the spot prior. You can't even back a Lamborghini up without opening the door and sitting on the door sill or having someone guide you. All of that to me adds up to "driving experience". My M3 blows all of that out of the water. I can see everything, I can drive it on any public street and park it anywhere I want, plus the performance is more than enough for any public streets. Lamborghini on a track or an open road is probably a different story.

That being said, if money were no option, I would definitely throw a few super cars into the mix but not for the amazing "driving experience", I'm a car guy who likes beautiful cars and if I was on an island alone I'd still want one just for myself.
I never said solely for the driving experience, but rather it being a primary reason. There are people who buy these things for the experience rather than the image. In fact, the image/attention aspect may be more of a deterrent for some.

Comparing the practicality of a BMW with a Lambo is missing the point. Supercars should prioritize emotion over convenience or ease of use. My Countach offers near zero rearward visibility, has no power steering, a ridiculously stiff clutch, a useless A/C and takes 20 minutes to warm up before it changes gears smoothly (I use that term very loosely).

It's a big go kart with a bellowing V12 behind your head. I look forward to every drive.
Appreciate 1
BMWM5NYC496.00
      01-11-2022, 07:09 PM   #106
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:

yea buddy, you nailed it.

Dont say that in public, please.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 07:18 PM   #107
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I knew that would bait you into responding. Thanks for confirming. Lol

'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 3
      01-11-2022, 07:20 PM   #108
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

ok...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 08:55 PM   #109
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I knew that would bait you into responding. Thanks for confirming. Lol
Hook, line, and sinker - now reel him in
      01-11-2022, 10:17 PM   #110
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I never said solely for the driving experience, but rather it being a primary reason. There are people who buy these things for the experience rather than the image. In fact, the image/attention aspect may be more of a deterrent for some.

Comparing the practicality of a BMW with a Lambo is missing the point. Supercars should prioritize emotion over convenience or ease of use. My Countach offers near zero rearward visibility, has no power steering, a ridiculously stiff clutch, a useless A/C and takes 20 minutes to warm up before it changes gears smoothly (I use that term very loosely).

It's a big go kart with a bellowing V12 behind your head. I look forward to every drive.
I hear what you're saying but I only speak on what Ive experienced. Your lambo is what I would consider an enthusiasts super car. I bet you know just about every nut and bolt on the thing, not that I would assume you would wrench on such a classic yourself but I'll put money on the fact that you know your car and what it is far more than the guy with the aventador. I gave up talking to people at cars and coffee events with modern super cars because they seemed to have no idea what they were driving. They're not required to know anything but as a car guy I like to talk about cars and these guys just seem to struggle. I'll admit to stereotyping them but stereotypes don't come from smoke they come from experiences. Sure they're not all the same but in my world 80% are. And those 80% aren't at the car shows to check out other cars because clearly they don't care, they're there to show off their car. But that's my point, super cars are supposed to be off the wall silly, they're designed to be eye catchy, snotty and over the top, they're the middle finger to your average sedan and the "driving experience" is a byproduct of all that. The thrill of driving something so silly is captivating. So there are lighter, faster and more streetable cars compared to the latest $375,000 whatever for far less, so why not buy one of those? Less bragging rights or cool factor is my guess. Again I'd fill up my garage with them if I could but let's be honest with ourselves on the motivation or desire for these cars.
Appreciate 0