BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Door Rattling

01-24-2022, 11:13 AM   #1
ChalkyM5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M5C, 21 Taycan, 21 SQ8

Door Rattling

Does anyone else have a door rattle while driving? Both my driver and passenger doors are doing this. The last time the car was at BMW for maintenance, they said they didn't hear anything wrong with it

If so, any solutions?

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 01:38 PM   #2
Holset
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkyM5 View Post
Does anyone else have a door rattle while driving? Both my driver and passenger doors are doing this. The last time the car was at BMW for maintenance, they said they didn't hear anything wrong with it

If so, any solutions?

Haha yes exactly the same sound in my right front door there was some in the left front too but that has silenced.
Been doing that since basically new going to let the dealership take a look at it.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 02:36 PM   #3
WayneM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90M5

I just dropped my car off at the dealer 2 hours ago and one of the complaints was a rattle from the driver's door. I am not sure it is exactly what you posted as it is hard to make out but on mine I could get it to make the noise by just leaning on and off the armrest (you can really hear it when the car is off).
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 10:57 AM   #4
ChalkyM5
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneM3 View Post
I just dropped my car off at the dealer 2 hours ago and one of the complaints was a rattle from the driver's door. I am not sure it is exactly what you posted as it is hard to make out but on mine I could get it to make the noise by just leaning on and off the armrest (you can really hear it when the car is off).
If you could please let me know what their solution ends up being. Just made my appointment to drop my car off on 2/7 to have them look at it.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 01:34 PM   #5
italiabrain
Private
Rep
Drives: 19 M5 Comp

Mine doesn’t make the sound as fast, but I definitely have a similar sound. Dealer said they could reproduce and thought they fixed, but no success after 2 attempts. It’s the most expensive and most annoying interior I’ve ever owned. No amount of leather and gadgets can counterbalance the rattles.

Last edited by italiabrain; 01-26-2022 at 12:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 03:32 PM   #6
SSM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkyM5 View Post

If so, any solutions?

Do you have Full Leather ? I have had rubbing and clicking noises in the past with the extra leather.

2023 M5 Comp Skyscraper Grey,Executive Pack, Drivers Assistance, B&W, 789's.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 05:22 PM   #7
ChalkyM5
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM5 View Post
Do you have Full Leather ? I have had rubbing and clicking noises in the past with the extra leather.
Yes, full leather.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 04:29 AM   #8
italiabrain
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM5 View Post
Why do you think it has something to do with the full leather itself?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 06:42 AM   #9
dougpaper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

will follow this one, my 2019 just started making a sound like something loose even when lightly closing door.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 12:48 PM   #10
italiabrain
Private
Rep

Would be nice if someone on the forum has successfully gotten this fixed and there's a common failure that we could bring to our respective dealers to get addressed. It drives me nuts and I can hear it over the radio at reasonable volumes. It gets better when warm but it doesn't go away. It sounds like it's in the door card, but it's harder to say on mine because my wife doesn't like driving my car and it's on the passenger side.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 10:45 PM   #11
pcai
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
F90 M5  [0.00]
My front doors creak slightly when opening/closing. 2 different dealers tried to fix it unsuccessfully. And interior has its fair share of small rattles here and there. Try pressing down on all the trim pieces, most will make a cracking sound. Seems to be the norm with the F90.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 07:02 AM   #12
dougpaper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiabrain View Post
Would be nice if someone on the forum has successfully gotten this fixed and there's a common failure that we could bring to our respective dealers to get addressed. It drives me nuts and I can hear it over the radio at reasonable volumes. It gets better when warm but it doesn't go away. It sounds like it's in the door card, but it's harder to say on mine because my wife doesn't like driving my car and it's on the passenger side.
you may be mistaking you passenger seat belt rattling against the plastic between seat and frame. i pull my seatbelt over the passenger seat not strapped but it now wont rattle against plastic on side of car.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 11:32 AM   #13
italiabrain
Private
Rep

It’s not the seatbelt. I’ve put that over the bolster of the seat on every car I’ve ever owned. It’s also not something random in the cubby. This is what the inside of my car itself sounds like. I’ve been trying to get it fixed on and off for more than a year.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 01:42 PM   #14
WayneM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90M5

As I mentioned I brought my car in last week for the door rattle noise (among other things). It was there for 4 days and the solution was.....NOTHING! I am disappointed with the dealer because they heard the noise and basically said they can't fix it. I was told that BMW's procedures said to check for crumbs in the door leather. It is obviously not that and they "cleaned the leather" when I went to pick it up and of course it still makes the noise. I am sure it has something to do with the soft close mechanism. I will be taking it to a different dealer in a few weeks and hopefully they can fix it because I can't stand it.

It is definitely not the passenger seat belt hitting the pillar - it is right at the driver's elbow.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 03:07 PM   #15
DarrylW
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4(deceased)2018 M5

I had what I thought was rattles from my doors. I thought while driving it was passenger side. My wife and BMW service writer while riding in passenger seat though it was drivers side. Very confusing. I finally narrowed it down to the plastic cover over the dome light. And from the third brake light cover. I was able to hold pressure on it and stop the rattle. Give it a try
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 03:27 PM   #16
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneM3 View Post
As I mentioned I brought my car in last week for the door rattle noise (among other things). It was there for 4 days and the solution was.....NOTHING! I am disappointed with the dealer because they heard the noise and basically said they can't fix it. I was told that BMW's procedures said to check for crumbs in the door leather. It is obviously not that and they "cleaned the leather" when I went to pick it up and of course it still makes the noise. I am sure it has something to do with the soft close mechanism. I will be taking it to a different dealer in a few weeks and hopefully they can fix it because I can't stand it.

It is definitely not the passenger seat belt hitting the pillar - it is right at the driver's elbow.
So this just tell you, "we cannot resolve the rattling noise"? Did you attempt to escalate to management? They probably need to take the door apart which could go either way.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 05:09 AM   #17
italiabrain
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrylW View Post
I had what I thought was rattles from my doors. I thought while driving it was passenger side. My wife and BMW service writer while riding in passenger seat though it was drivers side. Very confusing. I finally narrowed it down to the plastic cover over the dome light. And from the third brake light cover. I was able to hold pressure on it and stop the rattle. Give it a try
I had a couple distinct rattles. One of them was the dome light cover but it was much quieter than the one in my video. I can’t reach the 3rd brake light from the driver’s seat so I guess I’m going to have to recruit the wife for testing on that one. Would be nice just to have an answer, but like others had mentioned I also had assumed that it was a part of the soft close system. There’s something about a kind of metallic tapping quality that made me think metal latch or linkage that’s loose. Who knows.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 09:27 AM   #18
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4CSL

Garage List
2024 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2005 Lotus Elise  [10.00]
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [10.00]
Just throwing this out there too: I've found the shifter paddles can vibrate a bit, especially larger, metallic aftermarket versions. It's a quiet rattle that took me time to find.
      02-01-2022, 03:44 PM   #19
adeuel
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Oxford Green M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrylW View Post

My kids narrowed down a rattle in the third brake light for me.
Was driving me nuts.
Took it in and they put felt tape inside the assembly and it was fixed.

For what it's worth, I've also noticed that some of the rear seatbelt receptacles also squeak when belted with tension and it was the plastic receptacle rubbing on the leather.
I put a small piece of adhesive fuzzy side velcro, like on the front seat receptacles and fixed that too.
Felt/velcro tape is very useful for these things.
2016 Med Blue 650ix GC : 2008 BSM 535i 6MT
1999 Jet Black 528i
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 04:13 AM   #20
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiabrain View Post
I had a couple distinct rattles. One of them was the dome light cover but it was much quieter than the one in my video. I can’t reach the 3rd brake light from the driver’s seat so I guess I’m going to have to recruit the wife for testing on that one. Would be nice just to have an answer, but like others had mentioned I also had assumed that it was a part of the soft close system. There’s something about a kind of metallic tapping quality that made me think metal latch or linkage that’s loose. Who knows.
Hello, sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have what sounds like exactly the same noise, a ticking, clicking noise from the passenger side, and it's impossible to pinpoint, wife says it's coming from the dash area but possibly the door. BMW said it was my windscreen that I had replaced but I was unsure, so I had the company remove and refit it with me watching and the noise is still there. It's driving me crazy as it's loud enough to hear over moderate music and with no radio on, it's just there all the time.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 09:51 AM   #21
adeuel
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Oxford Green M5C

I have a plastic on plastic rattle sound when going over larger road seams or bumps at a moderate speed.

I think I've narrowed it down to the front passenger seat belt tensioner.

Will bring it up the next service appointment.

Almost sounded like something bouncing around in the glove box or armrest storage, but I've taken everything out of both and it's still there.
2016 Med Blue 650ix GC : 2008 BSM 535i 6MT
1999 Jet Black 528i
Appreciate 0