BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Opinions on getting a M3 Instead of a M5

01-24-2022, 12:15 PM   #1
Amsgarage
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M8 comp, 2021 x7 50i

Opinions on getting a M3 Instead of a M5

Hey guys I have a situation I'm facing and would like other peoples opinions, I have a M5 on order and it probably won't be in my hands for 6+ more months minimum, I love the m8 and am sure I will love the M5 since it's the same power plant but more comfortable, I haven't ever gotten a chance to drive the new m3 and have no idea what it's like, but now I've found an in stock M3 comp rwd with specs that I'd love to have but it has a 10K markup, my question is what do the M5 owners that have driven the new M3 before think about it in comparison, and what do the new M3 owners that have driven the m5 think in comparison? Would it be a smart choice to pay 10K over msrp for the M3 just to get it right now, or should I keep on waiting for the M5 that I have "got at msrp"?

Thanks for all of the answers!
      01-24-2022, 12:24 PM   #2
Namelss
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport

Seems like a personal decision to me. I'd have a real hard time paying a 10k markup on anything. But, if you want it now, that seems to be the only way to do it these days.

How bad do you want it?

Edit: I guess I should have addressed the 3 vs. 5 question too. Personally, I wanted the 5 because I have kids and I think they’d be cramped in a 3. Also, I wanted the B&W in the 5 as I’ve heard the HK in the 3 isn’t great. Having said that, the 3 sounds like it would be more fun. That’s my .02! I ordered my M5 last July and it should hit the dealer any day now FWIW.

Last edited by Namelss; 01-24-2022 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 12:38 PM   #3
Amsgarage
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namelss View Post
Seems like a personal decision to me. I'd have a real hard time paying a 10k markup on anything. But, if you want it now, that seems to be the only way to do it these days.

How bad do you want it?
Thanks for the reply, extremely bad haha🥲 currently since I'm out of the parents house I don't have access to their cars anymore and I got myself just a normal little Toyota, nothing wrong with the car it's actually amazing and I'm super grateful to even have it since I know there's manny people that wish they could be in a position to even get a simple Toyota and they can't, but I really want a car that would make me happy and I'll love to drive, my thoughts are to possibly get the m3 and then trade it in for the 5 but that's hoping on the market conditions staying the same which will most likely not happen and is a big gamble, sadly these days suck for cars
      01-24-2022, 12:53 PM   #4
Namelss
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

To give you an idea of my situation, I ordered a CT5 Blackwing last March (!) and am still waiting for an allocation. I saw where it was going (nowhere) so I found an allocation for an M5 late July so I ordered that too.

I’m going to buy the M and see where the Caddy order goes, similar to your plan. I may trade the M when the time comes or may decide that I just like it too much to trade it. Or, maybe just buy both and start a new used car lot lol. I’m doubtful I’ll be able to recoup my money on the M either, so there’s that. These times do suck indeed. I don’t know, I find that I enjoy the process of selecting, spec’ing and waiting for the car so I’m not sure what the hell I’m gonna do when I finally get something! The thrill of the chase, if you will. I can’t chase women anymore, so…

I was also gonna mention but I didn’t know your age, get the 3 and have fun with it if you’re on the younger side. You have plenty of time to buy and drive the bigger cars. I had a mkII GTI when I was in my 20s and it remains one of my favorite cars to this day. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 03:28 PM   #5
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

OP seems young if he is just out of the parents’ house. Don’t buy an instant man’s luxury sport sedan like the M5. Buy a young man’s M2 or M4. Both can be tuned to be about as fast as an M5, still be plenty comfortable for a young guy, and have better road feel.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 04:10 PM   #6
xmanpro
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 M8C 24 X6MC 21 M3C

M3c - such fun
      01-24-2022, 05:20 PM   #7
MacOSR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16 X5M, 18 M550, 21 M5C, 23 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelsgarage View Post
Hey guys I have a situation I'm facing and would like other peoples opinions, I have a M5 on order and it probably won't be in my hands for 6+ more months minimum, I love the m8 and am sure I will love the M5 since it's the same power plant but more comfortable, I haven't ever gotten a chance to drive the new m3 and have no idea what it's like, but now I've found an in stock M3 comp rwd with specs that I'd love to have but it has a 10K markup, my question is what do the M5 owners that have driven the new M3 before think about it in comparison, and what do the new M3 owners that have driven the m5 think in comparison? Would it be a smart choice to pay 10K over msrp for the M3 just to get it right now, or should I keep on waiting for the M5 that I have "got at msrp"?

Thanks for all of the answers!
So a few thoughts: My first BMW was a 2006 M5 so I was a bit “spoiled” by having a 5 series M as my first M car. I have also owned many M’s since. At one point I had an M3 (about 4 years ago, previous gen) but only kept it for a few short months. It felt “cheap” by comparison to my M5 which I had as well at the time.

With that said, the current M3 is much different than the older M3. M5 is much more luxury feeling than an M3. Driving dynamics is much different although with the current M3 getting an auto transmission I am betting that the current M3 won’t feel as “raw” as the last gen.

I would really suggest you try and drive both a 5 series and a 3 series to get the feel for the size of each to see which you like more. Power and driving dynamics between the two as a daily driver will be very similar apart from size and how that affects the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 09:08 PM   #8
Hammer110!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 F90M5C, 22 X7M50i

IMO anyone who pays a market adjustment for something other than super rare car ( GT3 etc) gets what they have coming. Even in these times it’s practically impossible to justify much less amortize a 10K market adjustment by a gouging dealer.......you’ll be upside down immediately. Not to mention the OP sounds very young just being out of parents house, sounds like a foolish financial strategy.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 09:51 PM   #9
irablumberg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

If you really can't wait, go on Autotrader. I just checked and there are about 129 M3s and M4s on dealer lots, some xDrive others RWD. If you contact various dealers, you will find at least 1 wiling to sell you a car at sticker. Then depending on location, you can have it delivered for a few hundred bucks or fly to the dealer and have an adventure driving home.

As for M5 vs. M3, I have not driven the current gen M3, but by the spec sheet, it is a bit smaller and lighter than the M5, so unless you need the extra rear seat / trunk space, the M3 might be more fun. On the other hand, I would only consider the xDrive version. While the new RWD M3 is certainly supposed to be better than the previous gen, I had a previous gen M4 and it could NEVER put the power down. It just spun its wheels and would not hook up.

By contrast, the M5 always hooks up and just goes like a rocket. The new M3/4 xDrive is not quite as stout, but still does very well and will be more fun as a daily driver / hot rod with AWD. Also, if you ever expect to go north in the winter, you will be much better off with AWD and snow tires.

Good luck and never pay over sticker.
Appreciate 1
euro*1657.50
      01-24-2022, 10:34 PM   #10
euro*
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by irablumberg View Post
If you really can't wait, go on Autotrader. I just checked and there are about 129 M3s and M4s on dealer lots, some xDrive others RWD. If you contact various dealers, you will find at least 1 wiling to sell you a car at sticker. Then depending on location, you can have it delivered for a few hundred bucks or fly to the dealer and have an adventure driving home.

As for M5 vs. M3, I have not driven the current gen M3, but by the spec sheet, it is a bit smaller and lighter than the M5, so unless you need the extra rear seat / trunk space, the M3 might be more fun. On the other hand, I would only consider the xDrive version. While the new RWD M3 is certainly supposed to be better than the previous gen, I had a previous gen M4 and it could NEVER put the power down. It just spun its wheels and would not hook up.

By contrast, the M5 always hooks up and just goes like a rocket. The new M3/4 xDrive is not quite as stout, but still does very well and will be more fun as a daily driver / hot rod with AWD. Also, if you ever expect to go north in the winter, you will be much better off with AWD and snow tires.

Good luck and never pay over sticker.
Now that is proper advice!!

I agree, getting M3 at sticker is about doing the leg work nowadays, and calling all those dealers that have that vehicle in stock. I bet there will be a few that will let go for sticker
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 12:35 AM   #11
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Personally having driven both the m3 and m5, I gotta say the m3 feels more like an f10 m5 than anything else, it's big, it's bulky, and has around the same amount of power. I've driven both on and off track and couldn't get behind the idea of an m3 over the m5, if I want a big bulky car might as well get one that's more comfortable and has more power and on top of that can put the power down.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 06:16 AM   #12
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Ive driven the new M3/4 a few times now, in both RWD , and X Drive. To compare to the M5, i would say, you need to work the M3/4 motor harder, the torque isnt always instantaneous, as it is in the M5. The M5 feels like torque is always there, swelling at any given revs, and it pulls like a 747 heading down the runway. The M3/4 doesnt have the same feeling, of being hauled down that runway. It feels powerful when on song, but not quite there, as much as the M5. Obviously if tuned, these things are then different, but we are talking stock for stock ?. Handling will obviously be in the smaller cars favour, but the M5 hits back with never feeling its weight and size, on the road, imho. The luxury stakes go to the M5 also. There is something very satisfying just cruising in the M5. For me the M5 is still the better car, but i do look forward to seeing the new M4 CSL ?, but it would need to be very good to tempt me away from the M5.
Appreciate 1
snowbimmer5011.50
      01-25-2022, 10:28 AM   #13
irablumberg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Ive driven the new M3/4 a few times now, in both RWD , and X Drive. To compare to the M5, i would say, you need to work the M3/4 motor harder, the torque isnt always instantaneous, as it is in the M5. The M5 feels like torque is always there, swelling at any given revs, and it pulls like a 747 heading down the runway. The M3/4 doesnt have the same feeling, of being hauled down that runway. It feels powerful when on song, but not quite there, as much as the M5. Obviously if tuned, these things are then different, but we are talking stock for stock ?. Handling will obviously be in the smaller cars favour, but the M5 hits back with never feeling its weight and size, on the road, imho. The luxury stakes go to the M5 also. There is something very satisfying just cruising in the M5. For me the M5 is still the better car, but i do look forward to seeing the new M4 CSL ?, but it would need to be very good to tempt me away from the M5.
Good points, but with no back seat, the M4 CSL will appeal to a very different demographic than the M5 and will have to compete with the likes of Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 11:43 AM   #14
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
I wouldn't pay 10k over MSRP for anything unless it were a car that would appreciate in value, aka GT3, AMG Black, CS... A typical M5, M3, or any of its competitors won't either. This market right now is all over the place but should stabilize.

I've owned an M5CP for almost three years, and the most significant difference is in power and handling. M5 has power and the pull of a V8; it can handle, but the M3 is better sorted in the twisties, and I've driven the new m3/4 quite a few times on track. They also pull but not like the v8.

Interior/tech and space-wise, it's all a wash and personal preference.

In either case, you can't go wrong unless where talking a m3cp vs. M5CS.

Drive both and get what you want.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 11:46 AM   #15
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by irablumberg View Post
Good points, but with no back seat, the M4 CSL will appeal to a very different demographic than the M5 and will have to compete with the likes of Porsche.
Totally agree, it was just something i wanted to look at as a driving machine. I recently did a Porsche driving day, in their finest, and whilst the car was slightly quicker than our M5s, i would rather have the M5, especially for the price difference. If the M5 is in your blood, its very difficult to replace, with all its many facets, and qualities. Faster doesnt always mean better. Ive never thought about the Porsche again since, and really, you should be jumping up and down, and wanting to sell kidneys to swap, but im happy with BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 04:19 PM   #16
flanast
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
Personally having driven both the m3 and m5, I gotta say the m3 feels more like an f10 m5 than anything else, it's big, it's bulky, and has around the same amount of power. I've driven both on and off track and couldn't get behind the idea of an m3 over the m5, if I want a big bulky car might as well get one that's more comfortable and has more power and on top of that can put the power down.
I've had the same experience. M5 is a great street car but also extremely competent on the track. I found the M3 to be neither.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 07:45 PM   #17
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

I have owned an F82, F10, F90 and now G80.

F90 is more luxurious and the G80 is more of a drivers car. Both are incredible, but it depends on what you are looking for.

The F90 is brutally fast, but to me was very frustrating as a daily driver. Simply felt like a caged lion 98% of the time. Even cruising at 85-90 it was like I was using 10% of what was available. You definitely notice the size/weight when switching to something smaller and lighter as well.

The G80 is just as quick in daily use, but feels like more of the performance is accessible more of the time. The interior is a very nice place to be, but as I said above the materials are not quite at the same level as the M5. You should expect this since it is also $40K less expensive.

Regarding paying over MSRP, good luck buying anything right now and getting it for sticker. In all of Socal there were 3 M3's available at dealers. There are currently more GT3's than M3 for perspective and GT3's are getting $100K over. I also would expect some pretty steep increases in MSRP soon if inflation doesn't abate. If they just raise prices by 7% to keep up with 2021 inflation you would see a $6300 price increase and that is not counting anything for 2022.

So you can wait until 2023 to get a car at sticker (maybe) and gamble on what kind of increase BMW decides to throw out or negotiate what you can off ADM and drive your car for the next year. Either way there is about a 2% chance you will get a car at the current sticker price.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 08:00 PM   #18
sys999
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

M5 especially if there is markup on M3. F90 is absolutely incredible, brutally fast, interior is better, more room, and both are good / neither are optimal track tools anyways.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 08:14 PM   #19
Jakerx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp

Have some patience and wait for the M5.

/end thread
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 08:09 AM   #20
TEGRITY
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelsgarage View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namelss View Post

How bad do you want it?
Thanks for the reply, extremely bad haha🥲 currently since I'm out of the parents house I don't have access to their cars anymore and I got myself just a normal little Toyota, nothing wrong with the car it's actually amazing and I'm super grateful to even have it since I know there's manny people that wish they could be in a position to even get a simple Toyota and they can't, but I really want a car that would make me happy and I'll love to drive, my thoughts are to possibly get the m3 and then trade it in for the 5 but that's hoping on the market conditions staying the same which will most likely not happen and is a big gamble, sadly these days suck for cars
No judgements here. But if you are just out of your parents place, I am making a logical guess that you are fairly young(er). If yes, probably M3 is more fun especially, if it's YOUR first M car. Also M5 is a sleeper and doesn't attract a lot of attention unless you choose a bright colour or people who know their cars. It's a personal choice as some others said.

Tally up what you want vs don't want and then match it to the cars, don't go the other way round. You would end up more happier.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 09:42 PM   #21
Amsgarage
Private
United_States
Rep

Thank you all so much for the opinions and help, ended up going for the m3, I'm a very impatient person and by what everyone is saying it seems you can't go wrong with either of them so I picked the one that's gonna be accessible to me the quickest. I will drop some pictures as soon as I take delivery!
Attached Images

01-28-2022, 10:49 PM   #22
Namelss
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Nice! Good choice, can’t go wrong with Alpine White.
Appreciate 0