BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    ECU adjustment period after intakes?

04-22-2022, 09:11 PM   #1
DryBark
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M5 / X5

Garage List
2023 BMW X5  [0.00]
2018 BMW M5  [10.00]
ECU adjustment period after intakes?

Is there typically an adjustment period for the ECU to adjust to the increased ease of drawing air in after installing intakes? It's been a while since I put intakes on a car, so I can't recall how other cars have acted. With ours, I would have thought there's very little to go wrong given there's no MAF inline and all intakes are basically just pipe and a filter.

I ask because I ran my car for a bit after installing intakes tonight and it seemed a bit lumpy / dying out at times. When I parked in the garage and put the car in park it actually stalled. It's never done that before.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 10:30 PM   #2
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryBark View Post
Is there typically an adjustment period for the ECU to adjust to the increased ease of drawing air in after installing intakes? It's been a while since I put intakes on a car, so I can't recall how other cars have acted. With ours, I would have thought there's very little to go wrong given there's no MAF inline and all intakes are basically just pipe and a filter.

I ask because I ran my car for a bit after installing intakes tonight and it seemed a bit lumpy / dying out at times. When I parked in the garage and put the car in park it actually stalled. It's never done that before.
No it shouldn't take time. It measures the air mixture immediately and adjusts on the fly.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 08:14 AM   #3
DryBark
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X5  [0.00]
2018 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:

No it shouldn't take time. It measures the air mixture immediately and adjusts on the fly.
So I took it for a good ride this morning and found the problem. It's working terrific now - too embarrassed to say what the problem was 🤪
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 09:10 AM   #4
TheBigM5
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW M5

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So I took it for a good ride this morning and found the problem. It's working terrific now - too embarrassed to say what the problem was 🤪
Haha go on-in case i mess up too
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 10:43 AM   #5
DryBark
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X5  [0.00]
2018 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigM5 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well, one of my kids must have been climbing in the car after I installed. Someone pressed the auto off button, which I never use. Thought the car was dying out 😂
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 10:42 AM   #6
TheBigM5
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW M5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigM5 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well, one of my kids must have been climbing in the car after I installed. Someone pressed the auto off button, which I never use. Thought the car was dying out 😂
Haha thats not the worse! One time i put the a/f meter of an induction kit the other way around-called a recovery truck to sort it out..that was embarrassing 😂
Appreciate 0