Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

08-01-2015, 01:52 PM   #1
pertierr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Wrap questions for track

Hello,

I have little track experience, i've only done a few autocross/drag events before where only one car was on the course at a time. I am wanting to take the M4 on a road course with an instructor to learn more about how this car behaves. I found a local event, however they run multiple cars on the track with passing so I am concerned about damage to the car from gravel/rocks/etc.

I'm looking at 3 options, feel free to suggest others:
- TracWrap
- Installing a clear bra (Xpel)
- Wrapping the front with 3M 1080

Which one of these provides the most protection in terms of protecting the body from a rock impact?

Does installation of any of these damage the car in anyway? For example can heatgun application damage the paint or any adhesive used in these products?

The 3M 1080 wrap I mention because I thought a non-translucent wrap (like matte black) might be thicker/provide more protection. I'd be willing to wrap it in a different color if it will provide more protection from impacts.

Does anyone have pics of their preferred track solution installed on their M3/M4?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 05:41 PM   #2
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Need to wrap the rocker panels too, especially near the rear wheels. I have some marks in the paint from gravel in that area
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2015, 08:37 PM   #3
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

If you're worried about rock chips maybe try concours events. No matter what you do you're going to end up with rock chips, rubber marring , road rash etc. a friend of mine calls it a patina of a good life.

Just go out and have fun. Try not to worry too much about the car. You may get a chip or two here or there but it's worth it!
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2015, 03:13 PM   #4
jcote258
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 F95 X5M

Check this out. I am doing PCD with my M3 and I found a very inexpensive way to temporarily protect your paint. It's called Patco greenhouse tape. It's 5.5 mils thick and if your are really worried about it you can double up on the leading edge of the bumper and hood giving you 11 mils of protection. It's cheap, comes in over 100 foot rolls and it's under 25 bucks shipped with Prime! The guy that is doing my Xpel install once I get the car back home said that it will be perfectly fine to use and to double up on leading edges if I'm overly concerned with damage and as cheap as it is, I'm probably going to do that anyhow. Here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Patco-5068-Gre...reenhouse+tape

To be honest, even when I will get to my two or three track days per year, I will still use this wrap on top of my Xpel just to be safe, at the end of the day, it really is cheap insurance.

You could also do the Patco 5865 Heavy-Duty Removable Protective Film Tape, it's 8 mils thick and for one roll at 4 in. x 180 ft. it's 30 bucks. Really can't go wrong with the stuff, and I am hearing that it can weather a storm pretty good so you don't have to really worry about the edge of the tape coming up and flapping around if it gets wet. I would personally go with the Patco 5068 Greenhouse Repair Tape [Short Term] stuff as the adhesion rating as a lot higher than the heavy duty stuff so less of a chance having tape blowing around in the case of it getting wet.

Just search for Patco on findtape.com and you will see it right there.

Last edited by jcote258; 08-04-2015 at 03:27 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2015, 11:00 PM   #5
pertierr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Esq View Post
If you're worried about rock chips maybe try concours events.
Ha! Point taken. I'm not asking for the car to be intact, but I would like to give myself a fighting chance!

Thanks jcote258 for all the suggestions, I'm going to order some of that Patco tape, it's so cheap!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 08:34 AM   #6
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

even without plans to track, i think the bare minimum is XPEL ultimate of full front and 1/3 of the hood.

as for track protection, i just use colored masking tape (or "racer's tape), unless on track looks is really really that important to you.

i do the following:
-headlights
-fender flares (front and rear), the areas just aft of the wheel wells are important. but i also got rubber marks from the areas just forward as well.

you are gonna miss stuff, short of wrapping the entire car, the above should take care 80-85% of marks that you may encounter.
      08-10-2015, 08:10 PM   #7
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

i dig battle scars lol you should see my front end and windshield. yuck to some, hells yeah (!) to others haha

I saw some guy who had something called track wrap or something. It's like a plastidip except you roll it on with a paint roller. it looked like he put a bunch of tape on it and then peeled it off but the adhesive was still there. he says you just pour water on it and it peels off.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 09:14 PM   #8
Jadski
Like it a Lot
Rep
Drives: Hot Rod Red M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
I wrapped my entire car with 3m 1080 in April and have 4 track days on it since. I have 4 more coming soon. I have put about 5K miles on it and it's holding up well. So far very well pleased with the protection. The tire shrapnel marks come off easily. I have found 2 small rock chips on the hood where the wrap has been hit. No obvious dents and no break in the underlying paint. I also curbed my front spoiler and they were able to just add a small strip of wrap and it's hardly noticeable. My installer gave me a 2 year warranty on the installation and a 5 year warranty on the material. I'll uninstall it when I get ready to trade the car and hopefully the underlying paint will still be in pristine condition.

I went with a different color because I wanted red, and the SO wasn't my favorite red. I didn't want to pay for an individual color. I agree with using tape over the headlights if you want those protected as well. If you decide to go this route, make sure you get a quality installer. Picture below and think there are a few on another thread about wraps
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 07:24 AM   #9
Reid
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Esq View Post
If you're worried about rock chips maybe try concours events. No matter what you do you're going to end up with rock chips, rubber marring , road rash etc. a friend of mine calls it a patina of a good life.

Just go out and have fun. Try not to worry too much about the car. You may get a chip or two here or there but it's worth it!
I agree. Paint is a wear item.

Please keep in mind that while driving on the track is great fun and the only way to learn how to drive a car at its limit (and beyond), there is a very real possibility that the car may go home on a flatbed after an off track incident. These things are unfortunate, but they do happen, and I hope that people who are worried about rock chips are prepared for this occurrence.

A used track car may be cheaper than a full vehicle wrap and keep your M4 safe from harm.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 08:37 AM   #10
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid View Post
I agree. Paint is a wear item.

Please keep in mind that while driving on the track is great fun and the only way to learn how to drive a car at its limit (and beyond), there is a very real possibility that the car may go home on a flatbed after an off track incident. These things are unfortunate, but they do happen, and I hope that people who are worried about rock chips are prepared for this occurrence.

A used track car may be cheaper than a full vehicle wrap and keep your M4 safe from harm.
Yes that is the most extreme example but nonetheless always a possibility. It's also possible that someone slams into you on the public roads and the car leaves on a flatbed as well. I guess my point is OP don't let any of this deter you.
Appreciate 0