BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    What's after the F90?

09-20-2019, 12:40 PM   #89
FrozenB7
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpina B7

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkNewM5COMPETITION View Post
I felt the same way bud. It felt boring! Couldn't connect with the M5, so little options, no WOW factor. I honestly started to dread the car and sold it. Best decision i ever made for a car. Got the S560. Waiting for the 2020 911 Turbo S, its on way 😎
Interesting to hear you say that, I had a similar experience. I had an M5 on order and- much to my surprise- cancelled immediately after having the opportunity to drive an F90 Competition and new B7 back-to-back. Drove home in the B7.

IMO there is a lot of performance overlap between fast 7 series models (M760, B7) and the M5. Whatever 'sportiness' the B7 concedes to the F90, it makes up for that in comfort and luxury. At least for me.

The M5 gives up some luxury trying to be sport, and a lot of sport trying to be luxury. So much so that IMO its spot in the garage is best answered by two slots- a dedicated sports car and a dedicated luxury car.

For a driver with 1 or 2 other dedicated sports cars, I can see how the F90 would get lost in a sea of big, heavy, fast 4 doors. S63/65, AMG-GT, Urus, new RS7, etc. Drivers at this level have a lot of options and I don't see that the M5 does anything objectively better than its competitors, other than perhaps sounding and looking less offensive.

So for now, when I want a fast luxury car I'll drive the B7. Maybe next year I'll rock the new RS6 or Urus Peformante or Panamera Turbo S, who knows. But whenever I want to drive an M5, I'll take a drive in my E60 6MT with full exhaust
Attached Images