BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    2019 M5 CP launch control not working

06-06-2019, 07:55 PM   #1
F90freak
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5 Competition

2019 M5 CP launch control not working

Hi folks,

I am seeking help here. The launch control isn’t working on my M5. I took it to the dealership, they said that it needed a reset for the software. That was done, but still LC isn’t working. I am considering asking BMW to buy back the vehicle. Anybody experiencing same issue?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 08:39 PM   #2
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by F90freak View Post
Hi folks,

I am seeking help here. The launch control isn’t working on my M5. I took it to the dealership, they said that it needed a reset for the software. That was done, but still LC isn’t working. I am considering asking BMW to buy back the vehicle. Anybody experiencing same issue?
I don't see any world in which a 'buy back' occurs (or, in my opinion, should even be discussed) before they make a real attempt to fix it--why have you leapt to such a conclusion so quickly?

LC is software--a simple set of conditions that must be met before it'll engage--we/they just need to figure out what's missing.

Can you describe the steps you've tried?

PS: why did you accept the car back if the problem wasn't resolved? They can test whether LC engages without actually going through with it.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 09:11 PM   #3
F90freak
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
I don't see any world in which a 'buy back' occurs (or, in my opinion, should even be discussed) before they make a real attempt to fix it--why have you leapt to such a conclusion so quickly?

LC is software--a simple set of conditions that must be met before it'll engage--we/they just need to figure out what's missing.

Can you describe the steps you've tried?

PS: why did you accept the car back if the problem wasn't resolved? They can test whether LC engages without actually going through with it.

I have had several issues with the car. After I bought it, I discovered a stain on the front passenger seat, a scratch on the leather dashboard, a scratch on the driver’s door. My dashboard cam recorded the technician taking the car for a joy ride. Anyways, to activate the LC
The car has to be in operating temperature
Completely turn off the DSC
Put the car sport plus mode (all across the board, engine, suspension and steering wheel).
Put the transmission in S3 (manual).
Floor the brake pedal, while holding the brake pedal, floor the gas pedal. Tried it several times, not working.
Why I took the car, because they called me and said they can either test the car on the street (which I am very stingy about), or I can take it, but they are “sure” the software reset fixed the issue.

Can you please tell me how it can be tested without actually launching the car?

Last edited by F90freak; 06-06-2019 at 09:13 PM.. Reason: Adding a question
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 09:28 PM   #4
Demon Barber
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5, 2022 911 Turbo S

If you have a dashcam showing a technician taking it for a joyride, I think a sit down with the manager would be your next step. As for the launch control, I can tell you that it is finicky, and always has been. Has to be perfectly level, and completely up to operating temperature. Even then it is finicky. I would say that unless you are aiming for bragging rights using vbox results, mashing the pedal in 4wd and all other settings set to Max will give you the same rush. Hell, feel free to mash the brake while you do it, whether launch control officially engages or not. It still moves off the line like a rocket.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 09:34 PM   #5
F90freak
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Barber View Post
If you have a dashcam showing a technician taking it for a joyride, I think a sit down with the manager would be your next step. As for the launch control, I can tell you that it is finicky, and always has been. Has to be perfectly level, and completely up to operating temperature. Even then it is finicky. I would say that unless you are aiming for bragging rights using vbox results, mashing the pedal in 4wd and all other settings set to Max will give you the same rush. Hell, feel free to mash the brake while you do it, whether launch control officially engages or not. It still moves off the line like a rocket.
The LC disengages the alternator, the AC, and preps the engine to give you full torque right off the bat when you release the brake pedal, also, it auto shifts for you. The car had a faulty sensor which the dealership says they fixed, I’d rather have the LC working on a car that was priced at 127k.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 09:36 PM   #6
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Can you please tell me how it can be tested without actually launching the car?
Simply meet the pre-reqs (S3, DSC OFF, max engine response... nothing else) then mash the brake, mash the gas... it'll tell you in the gauge cluster if LC is engaged. If it is, simply let go of the gas and it all ends.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 09:39 PM   #7
F90freak
Rep

Quote:
Simply meet the pre-reqs (S3, DSC OFF, max engine response... nothing else) then mash the brake, mash the gas... it'll tell you in the gauge cluster if LC is engaged. If it is, simply let go of the gas and it all ends.
That’s what I did, does not work
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 09:41 PM   #8
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's not quite the same. LC uses specific transmission software to preserve the power throughout the shift cycle. You can get pretty close if you brake-torque with MDM (not DSC off) and short-shift manually around 5K RPM.

As for LC being tricky--I'd 100% agree on my prior M cars--but the F90 works every time thus far... just not back-to-back infinitely.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 09:41 PM   #9
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That’s what I did, does not work
Yup, then it's broken.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 09:48 PM   #10
Demon Barber
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5, 2022 911 Turbo S

Quote:
Yup, then it's broken.
Seems like yours is legitimately faulty. I've only had mine refuse to go into launch control once, and I don't know why. All other times, checkered flag was waiting for me. I still get a bigger rush flooring it halfway up the revs in 2nd gear than I ever did from launching, but that's just me.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 10:20 PM   #11
F90freak
Rep

Quote:
Seems like yours is legitimately faulty. I've only had mine refuse to go into launch control once, and I don't know why. All other times, checkered flag was waiting for me. I still get a bigger rush flooring it halfway up the revs in 2nd gear than I ever did from launching, but that's just me.
No kidding
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 10:25 PM   #12
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

The LC issue is annoying but still a SW fix. Did they fix the aesthetic issues or address the 'some mechanic took my car for a f#ckin joy ride'?

PS: do you have the video?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 10:59 PM   #13
F90freak
Rep

Quote:
The LC issue is annoying but still a SW fix. Did they fix the aesthetic issues or address the 'some mechanic took my car for a f#ckin joy ride'?

PS: do you have the video?
I do have the video. They did not fix any of the aesthetic issues (it’s been 7 months since i have been asking them to).to add to the agony, the technician also scraped the nose of the car while taking it out if the dealership, it’s a but steep and needs to be taken at an angle. Now also i have a rattling noise coming from the vents in the center of the dashboard also, the driver’s seatbelt does not tighten enough to measure the driver’s mass in case of a roll over (it used to tighten much more)
Appreciate 0