BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board    I still have a job, but I lost my second job - can I get unemployment?

08-07-2020, 01:19 PM   #23
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I lost everything when Covid-19 hit and as a freelancer, I seem to be invisible and was denied unemployment benefits. I moved out of my rental of five years to another state to my families home. The small jobs that I've worked aren't 15% of what I averaged over my twenty-six year career. Grow up? I've been hit with a big dose of reality but I do wish you well.
      08-07-2020, 01:22 PM   #24
SpacegrayMe90
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
No, I do not know your personal finances and I'm not implying anything; I'll come right out and say it. (Sarcasm Alert) I truly hate it that someone who makes almost 6 figures lost a little income this year over a side gig and wants to use unemployment to correct it. You could always do what the rest of the populace of the U.S. does when they lose money, make adjustments to their personal spending, pull the kid(s) out of private school and send them to public, sell the home and get something you can afford. These are the things normal people do but most don't even have these options. Most end up with cars repossessed, homes foreclosed on, credit ruined, homeless etc. Forgive my inability to feel empathy about your plight. I've completely lost my ass twice, then built everything back from the ground up....without filing for unemployment; and that was with my income being less than half of what you say you cant afford to pay bills with, then paying $600/month in child support on top of that. Unless you're eating Ramen and Spam making 6 figures, I'd find another source of income, lower standards and cut spending until you're able to consult again.

Also, ton of holes in your brief story. Consultant of intelligence? Yet you come to a BMW forum claiming to make almost 100k and ask for advice for unemployment? Perhaps you should have done some research of your own, formulate a game plan, then put it into action. Instead, you come here and ask our opinion/advice regarding unemployment benefits all while making more than most who actually need unemployment.

When you get to a point where you have lost your home, your cars, the wife, are homeless and need advice, then come to us and cry us a river. We'll listen then. Intelligence consultant.....and you come to a BMW forum for advice on money problems and unemployment claiming to make almost 100k. I'm F'n dying over here. Get mad at us and stay mad at us, but if you can't see your own hypocrisy, then you deserve the hazing until you figure out why your'e getting hazed.

BTW, I make half of what you do, single income, live alone and live like a king. I just can't feel sorry for you.

Private school??? There's a necessity! I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the intelligence consultant bit, not understanding how any of this works, refusal of making the effort to do it on your own, asking members of a BMW forum for advice.......and then calling other people idiots. Too rich.

Good luck to you sir.
You sound pretty angry, so I'm not going to waist my time further responding to you. Look up BI jobs since my story and job sound inconsistent.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 01:26 PM   #25
BimmerDimmer6
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 6MT / 2019 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
I lost everything when Covid-19 hit and as a freelancer, I seem to be invisible and was denied unemployment benefits. I moved out of my rental of five years to another state to my families home. The small jobs that I've worked aren't 15% of what I averaged over my twenty-six year career. Grow up? I've been hit with a big dose of reality but I do wish you well.

I am sorry to hear this. You shouldn't have been denied. Gig workers and freelancers are eligible for benefits per the CARES act.

Something went wrong. I'd contact your UE office and fight it. You're entitled to that money as long as you pay taxes.

It's retroactive, so you can receive payments from the time you were impacted.
Appreciate 4
VisualEcho6625.50
Dagamus_NM1639.50
chris7197273.00
      08-07-2020, 01:27 PM   #26
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacegrayMe90 View Post
You sound pretty angry, so I'm not going to waist my time further responding to you. Look up BI jobs since my story and job sound inconsistent.
Your sense of superiority is incredible
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
MJ6962.50
      08-07-2020, 01:33 PM   #27
someguywithanm3
Private
Rep
Drives: E92

If absolutely needed, you may look into Doordash or Amazon to make some extra income. I know it might not be up your alley, but you can make some side money while things are tough.

I would cut expenses first though. Good luck.
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2020, 01:34 PM   #28
C2YT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i

Great bathroom read!

Take a look in the mirror and be thankful for what you still have. Most people can't say the same, or even dream of being in your position.

Unemployment is for those who need it, not those who want it.
      08-07-2020, 01:34 PM   #29
SpacegrayMe90
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
It's called unemployment and not ilostsomeincomement for a reason.

Are you unemployed? No. Then you don't qualify. That should have been pretty obvious.

As for lashing out at people because you over-extended yourself on your mortgage and sent your kids to private school to keep up with the Joneses, that's hysterical!
"Over-extended yourself on your mortgage and sent your kids to private school to keep up with the Joneses." What a dickhead you are. So everyone was has sent there kid to private school is keeping up with the Joneses? F*ck boy statement! Judgmental much???

"Are you unemployed? No." How about the companies that, due to financial constraints they are paying their employees for four days a week only and the employee can either choose to use their employee benefit time or file unemployment to cover that day of missed wage. Are these employees completely unemployed, no!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 01:36 PM   #30
BimmerDimmer6
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 6MT / 2019 Raptor

Guys! Please stop arguing it's Friday for fucks sake!
Appreciate 3
VisualEcho6625.50
upstatedoc7555.50
JasonDot579.50
      08-07-2020, 01:38 PM   #31
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Appreciate 1
upstatedoc7555.50
      08-07-2020, 01:48 PM   #32
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
If you had three jobs with your main source of income now lost I recommend you contact your state unemployment office immediately to see what your options are. This is one of the worst places to find out how your state deals with unemployment benefits. This is also a different scenario to having a full time, main source of income and losing the part time job.
Thanks. Being 49 and having never filed for unemployment, I honestly never even thought to try.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 01:56 PM   #33
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Thanks. Being 49 and having never filed for unemployment, I honestly never even thought to try.
I wouldn't think twice about trying to get benefits if I lost my job. Employers pay a tax on a your earnings so that if you lose your job (fired or laid off, not quit), you are eligible for benefits. I see nothing wrong with working most of your life, having something out of your control happen, like being laid off, and then getting temporary help until you can find something else. There was money put in on your behalf for many years.
VisualEcho6625.50
      08-07-2020, 02:15 PM   #34
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Nah man, I'm not angry. In fact, I'm quite the opposite. I just don't buy into people's bullshit is all. In my darkest days, I found a way to embrace a solution for myself, then actively work toward that solution until it is reached. I'm not going to "waist" my time looking BI anything. Perhaps you should be using your time to look up jobs rather than "waisting" time on forums asking for advice and arguing with people over your own problems.

Before you begin looking for work though:

Waist - physical anatomy, below the ribs & above the hips
Waste - expending something carelessly, extravagantly, or to no purpose

There - in, at, or to that place or position.
Their - belonging to or associated with the people or things previously mentioned or easily identified.
They're - They are

Thank you for no longer waisting either of our time in replying.

Again, good luck to you. I hope you find a favorable outcome.
Appreciate 3
JasonDot579.50
BMWGUYinCO4049.00
MJ6962.50
      08-07-2020, 02:20 PM   #35
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Agreed.

But what of those among us, like myself, who have 3 jobs and have lost the main source of income?
in your case, you lost primary source of income.
your other 2 jobs are side gigs.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 02:21 PM   #36
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
I have nothing to add other than in before the thread gets closed.
upstatedoc7555.50
vreihen1614889.50
      08-07-2020, 02:31 PM   #37
Dagamus_NM
Dirka Dirka
Rep
Drives: 14 Dinan 550i, 10 m3, 91 332iC

Depends on the state and how much you are making. Underemployment is a thing.

Let's say you have one job and they cut your hours and pay, would you qualify for unemployment? You might get some percentage but likely not the full amount. Depends on how much you are still working/making. Some it might be monthly hours, others it might be percentage of income lost.

This is likely not the best place to get the advice you are seeking based on the above posts. If you have a day to burn, go talk to somebody at your unemployment office and find out what the specifics are in your situation.

To those thinking that unemployment is black and white, in most places it is not. Many shades of grey inbetween.

Good luck OP.
Appreciate 3
David701567.00
chris7197273.00
      08-07-2020, 02:31 PM   #38
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Quote:

Well *I* don't hope he finds a favourable outcome...this thread has quickly become amusing and I want to see if he becomes fully unhinged. I feel like with just a little prodding he could be close...

Tell you what Spacegray - you give us a budget of your expenses and we, the generous souls of BP, will help you find the areas you can cut back in. We'll - ahem - provide you the intelligence that you lack.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
MJ6962.50
      08-07-2020, 02:32 PM   #39
JasonDot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4, X3 and 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerDimmer6 View Post
Guys! Please stop arguing it's Friday for fucks sake!
It's Friday! Let's get weird!
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2020, 02:35 PM   #40
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
I have nothing to add other than in before the thread gets closed.
.....or at a minimum a thread title change.

I'll make a suggestion for the title change.

"I don't qualify for unemployment but I think I deserve it because I make less now and I can't be bothered to spend my time trying to solve my own problems" or (in true Rocky and Bullwinkle style - because two titles are better than one) "The inadvertent thread that sheds light on the fact that VisualEcho is a good dude that actually deserves some assistance."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Well *I* don't hope he finds a favourable outcome...this thread has quickly become amusing and I want to see if he becomes fully unhinged. I feel like with just a little prodding he could be close...

Tell you what Spacegray - you give us a budget of your expenses and we, the generous souls of BP, will help you find the areas you can cut back in. We'll - ahem - provide you the intelligence that you lack.
Shit. &

It would have been better served to have started with a "here's my situation" and to be followed by, "what suggestions do you guys have in order to assist," rather than jumping in the empty, plastic, kiddie pool of unemployment right off the bat.

What's even funnier is that he waited until the unemployment stimulus to end before he even ask about it. That's like writing yelp review about how he starved to death in the parking lot after the restaurant closed, but he has a feast, that most don't get, waiting at home.

Last edited by King Rudi; 08-07-2020 at 02:48 PM..
Appreciate 1
Joekerr7926.00
      08-07-2020, 02:50 PM   #41
SpacegrayMe90
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Nah man, I'm not angry. In fact, I'm quite the opposite. I just don't buy into people's bullshit is all. In my darkest days, I found a way to embrace a solution for myself, then actively work toward that solution until it is reached. I'm not going to "waist" my time looking BI anything. Perhaps you should be using your time to look up jobs rather than "waisting" time on forums asking for advice and arguing with people over your own problems.

Before you begin looking for work though:

Waist - physical anatomy, below the ribs & above the hips
Waste - expending something carelessly, extravagantly, or to no purpose

There - in, at, or to that place or position.
Their - belonging to or associated with the people or things previously mentioned or easily identified.
They're - They are

Thank you for no longer waisting either of our time in replying.

Thanks grammar police. I'm sure you have spelled everything perfectly in everyone of your threads. Typical chatter box tough guy talk once hiding behind the safety of your keyboard.

Last edited by SpacegrayMe90; 08-07-2020 at 03:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 02:56 PM   #42
SpacegrayMe90
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
.....or at a minimum a thread title change.

I'll make a suggestion for the title change.

"I don't qualify for unemployment but I think I deserve it because I make less now and I can't be bothered to spend my time trying to solve my own problems" or (in true Rocky and Bullwinkle style - because two titles are better than one) "The inadvertent thread that sheds light on the fact that VisualEcho is a good dude that actually deserves some assistance."

Shit. &

It would have been better served to have started with a "here's my situation" and to be followed by, "what suggestions do you guys have in order to assist," rather than jumping in the empty, plastic, kiddie pool of unemployment right off the bat.

What's even funnier is that he waited until the unemployment stimulus to end before he even ask about it. That's like writing yelp review about how he starved to death in the parking lot after the restaurant closed, but he has a feast, that most don't get, waiting at home.
You seem to be hurt by something, maybe lack of salary on your end??? I touched a nerve with my previous earnings much? The funny thing is I don't think my prior earnings is a lot of money...

You are a part of the problem with forums, can't ask a questions without having dicks like you!

Last edited by SpacegrayMe90; 08-07-2020 at 03:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 03:10 PM   #43
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I bought some fucking XSPA at the top... pretty sure that would qualify me for unemployment right?
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614889.50
      08-07-2020, 03:15 PM   #44
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Appreciate 1
upstatedoc7555.50