BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    Bavsound long term review

05-21-2022, 06:51 PM   #1
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 / M5

Bavsound long term review

Good - bad - ugly ?

Anyone upgrade the speakers from HK to Bavsound a while ago?

Did it really make a difference?

All thoughts appreciated - semi-retired bassist here and having a hard time with HK sound in the F90…

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 09:56 PM   #2
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyBuzzard View Post
Good - bad - ugly ?

All thoughts appreciated - semi-retired bassist here and having a hard time with HK sound in the F90…

Thanks in advance
Have HK in my pre-LCI. Only swapped both under seat subwoofers to the Ghost underseat sub kit. It's recommended as a good place to start if you're not satisfied with the HK. While I was dissatisfied overall, the lack of bass was the part that got me the most. I'm no audiophile like several owners on the board, and I didn't want to (would never) install two 12s in a ported box in the back lol. Not just because of the car's soundproofing, but because that's just not my style. I wanted something I could try without ripping apart the entire car, and without trying to feed in bass from the trunk. I just wanted to feel a little something, and the HK have absolutely no bass response whatsoever. After 4 months of the stock HK, I ordered the under seat kit. Installed both in about an hour, and I am not the modding pro like many of you guys. Not saying these are a mod, or that difficult. I'm just saying I'm not near the experience level of a lot of you who are constantly doing what I would think to be difficult/involved/complicated things to their cars and that I would need a professional for (but that I love!)

Worked flawlessly for months. One day, I got in the car and it sounded like there were no subs in the car. Filled out a warranty request online, received a notification that my new set was being mailed out before the end of the day. In 48 hours, the replacement set was at my door. I opened them up and it looked like screws had been torqued on the subs. Then I noticed a layer of dust. Reached out to their support team via email. They told me because they were sold out for about 30-45 days, they sent a pair that someone else had returned, but assured me that they were as good as new. I installed them and shipped back my original set. After the recommended break in period (which I actually think l was completed by the previous owner), I had a leg to stand on that they didn't sound great. I reached out to the same CSR that fulfilled my replacement order and before the end of the day, he had shipped me out another set. They arrived and were new. I installed them and was back to how my original set sounded after the break in period. Emailed them again and asked for a return label for the used (perhaps refurbished) set. They told me to throw them out and not worry about because of the trouble I had and that's exactly what I did. I've had that set in for a few months now, and a couple of weeks ago, I noticed only about 50% of the bass that they originally did. I haven't had the chance to reach out to them yet for another replacement set under warranty, but I will soon. I am sure they'll replace them again, and I'll update this post when I get around to contacting them.

When they're at 100%, they're amazing as compared to HK subs. I get a punchy rumble under my seat without it being overbearing. But each set I had didn't seem to last that long. From the research I've done, my experience was atypical. Perhaps just a fluke, albeit more than once. And at least they replaced it without difficulty each time. Annoying to have to pull the seats out and uninstall and reinstall, but I've got it down to about 15 minutes per side by now.

Three of my other cars have/had premium factory setups — Burmester, Meridian, and Bose. Burmester is the biggest waste of $5000 I've ever committed. The Merdian and Bose sound incredible for factory options. Does this make the sound comparable to the (clean, punch, no distortion) bass to my non-audiophile ears that those cars do? Absolutely not. Was it a million times better than the stock under seats? Without a shadow of a doubt.

I realize you're probably looking for info regarding the whole system, and I can't provide that. But if you want to try to increase your bass, for a reasonable price, with a company that will take everything back within 100 days if you're dissatisfied, and offers incredible warranty service, I'd give it a go.

Ordered BW on my incoming car, but obviously had to forego it. I will do the under seat kit in my new car for sure. I have been seriously contemplating the full stage one kit, but worry if I run into an issue that requires a warranty replacement as frequently as the under seat kit, it's going to be a lot more work to get the speakers out as opposed to just 8 bolts for the seats.

Also, I test drove an X6M with HK a few days ago. I turned up the bass and didn't hear even a little bit of it. Even operating at the 50% of capacity I'm estimating the current set is putting out now, the under seat kit is exponentially better than the stock HKs.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you decide.
shawnhayes1834.00
ed41367.50
      05-21-2022, 11:36 PM   #3
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
Quote:
Good - bad - ugly ?

Thanks in advance
Have HK in my pre-LCI. Only swapped both under seat subwoofers to the Ghost underseat sub kit. It's recommended as a good place to start if you're not satisfied with the HK. While I was dissatisfied overall, the lack of bass was the part that got me the most. I'm no audiophile like several owners on the board, and I didn't want to (would never) install two 12s in a ported box in the back lol. Not just because of the car's soundproofing, but because that's just not my style. I wanted something I could try without ripping apart the entire car, and without trying to feed in bass from the trunk. I just wanted to feel a little something, and the HK have absolutely no bass response whatsoever. After 4 months of the stock HK, I ordered the under seat kit. Installed both in about an hour, and I am not the modding pro like many of you guys. Not saying these are a mod, or that difficult. I'm just saying I'm not near the experience level of a lot of you who are constantly doing what I would think to be difficult/involved/complicated things to their cars and that I would need a professional for (but that I love!)

Worked flawlessly for months. One day, I got in the car and it sounded like there were no subs in the car. Filled out a warranty request online, received a notification that my new set was being mailed out before the end of the day. In 48 hours, the replacement set was at my door. I opened them up and it looked like screws had been torqued on the subs. Then I noticed a layer of dust. Reached out to their support team via email. They told me because they were sold out for about 30-45 days, they sent a pair that someone else had returned, but assured me that they were as good as new. I installed them and shipped back my original set. After the recommended break in period (which I actually think l was completed by the previous owner), I had a leg to stand on that they didn't sound great. I reached out to the same CSR that fulfilled my replacement order and before the end of the day, he had shipped me out another set. They arrived and were new. I installed them and was back to how my original set sounded after the break in period. Emailed them again and asked for a return label for the used (perhaps refurbished) set. They told me to throw them out and not worry about because of the trouble I had and that's exactly what I did. I've had that set in for a few months now, and a couple of weeks ago, I noticed only about 50% of the bass that they originally did. I haven't had the chance to reach out to them yet for another replacement set under warranty, but I will soon. I am sure they'll replace them again, and I'll update this post when I get around to contacting them.

When they're at 100%, they're amazing as compared to HK subs. I get a punchy rumble under my seat without it being overbearing. But each set I had didn't seem to last that long. From the research I've done, my experience was atypical. Perhaps just a fluke, albeit more than once. And at least they replaced it without difficulty each time. Annoying to have to pull the seats out and uninstall and reinstall, but I've got it down to about 15 minutes per side by now.

Three of my other cars have/had premium factory setups — Burmester, Meridian, and Bose. Burmester is the biggest waste of $5000 I've ever committed. The Merdian and Bose sound incredible for factory options. Does this make the sound comparable to the (clean, punch, no distortion) bass to my non-audiophile ears that those cars do? Absolutely not. Was it a million times better than the stock under seats? Without a shadow of a doubt.

I realize you're probably looking for info regarding the whole system, and I can't provide that. But if you want to try to increase your bass, for a reasonable price, with a company that will take everything back within 100 days if you're dissatisfied, and offers incredible warranty service, I'd give it a go.

Ordered BW on my incoming car, but obviously had to forego it. I will do the under seat kit in my new car for sure. I have been seriously contemplating the full stage one kit, but worry if I run into an issue that requires a warranty replacement as frequently as the under seat kit, it's going to be a lot more work to get the speakers out as opposed to just 8 bolts for the seats.

Also, I test drove an X6M with HK a few days ago. I turned up the bass and didn't hear even a little bit of it. Even operating at the 50% of capacity I'm estimating the current set is putting out now, the under seat kit is exponentially better than the stock HKs.

Appreciate this info and your taking the time to share
Appreciate 2
      05-21-2022, 11:42 PM   #4
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Good - bad - ugly ?

Thanks in advance

Appreciate this info and your taking the time to share
You're welcome! Any time!
      05-30-2022, 11:32 AM   #5
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Just wanted to update you that I reached out to BavSound and they did immediately offer to send me another replacement underseat Ghost subwoofer kit under warranty!

EDIT — It seems as though I may have spoken too soon. After sending me an email telling me they were going to replace them, I just received another email telling me they think the failure rate is rather high and they have asked me to first send them the defective units for testing. I'll update this thread when I have more info.
      06-02-2022, 12:41 PM   #6
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Just wanted to update you that I reached out to BavSound and they did immediately offer to send me another replacement underseat Ghost subwoofer kit under warranty!

EDIT — It seems as though I may have spoken too soon. After sending me an email telling me they were going to replace them, I just received another email telling me they think the failure rate is rather high and they have asked me to first send them the defective units for testing. I'll update this thread when I have more info.
haha....gotta love it. Dealer tried to do that to me when i put in a warranty claim on 2 of my BO speakers replaced trying to say it was odd that 2 would blow so it must be my fault (service manager, who no longer is employed there). I literally laughed at him and told him "nice try" as my wife drives the car and hates all things bass and "let me know when BMW NA approves the request"...which they did.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 02:47 PM   #7
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:

haha....gotta love it. Dealer tried to do that to me when i put in a warranty claim on 2 of my BO speakers replaced trying to say it was odd that 2 would blow so it must be my fault (service manager, who no longer is employed there). I literally laughed at him and told him "nice try" as my wife drives the car and hates all things bass and "let me know when BMW NA approves the request"...which they did.
I would think it's in the dealer's interest to do warranty work and get paid from BMW for it. But screw that guy. I hate those sheistery SAs/SMs who try to use frequency as a measuring stick to whether a needed repair is illegitimate because you happened to need it more than once.

Maybe you guys shouldn't have given me a crappy/defective product and it wouldn't need multiple replacements.

Glad you were able to get is resolved eventually.
      06-24-2022, 04:06 PM   #8
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Took a little while (nearly a month all said and done), but I did receive a replacement set under warranty again in the end. Installed them yesterday and working on chipping away at the break in period hours. But they are already so much better than the stock HKs!
      08-18-2022, 09:35 PM   #9
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Took a little while (nearly a month all said and done), but I did receive a replacement set under warranty again in the end. Installed them yesterday and working on chipping away at the break in period hours. But they are already so much better than the stock HKs!
Thoughts now that you have had them a while?
Appreciate 1
shawnhayes1834.00
      08-19-2022, 07:52 AM   #10
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Audi R8, 2023 Audi S8

I can tell you the big difference in sound will come from adding their DSP/amplifier.

The ability to delay and EQ speakers independently is the largest single improvement that can be made. Without a DSP we can't tune the system properly.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 07:44 PM   #11
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Thoughts now that you have had them a while?
I did receive the replacement set I mentioned in my first post on this thread. Had my pre-LCI at the time when they failed. By the time I got them, I had already traded it for my LCI. I installed them in my new car right away, and have been rocking with them daily, under pretty much full load, for a little more than two months.

This new set is better sounding, and has a wider range of bass than my previous sets did. As I conceded here before, I am not audiophile by any means. I might not even be using those terms right. But I just hated not having bass with the stock HK. The Ghost kit added the much needed and lacking sound to my otherwise stock setup, and I can hear and feel (a little bit) the difference. It's not rattling bass by any means. But it does provide a decent amount of bass if you manage your expectations and understand that you're not changing the amplifier that powers the stock woofers.

Prior to install, the HK was the worst higher end (relative term, I guess) factory audio system I've had in any of my numerous high end vehicles. The Ghost kit makes it pretty good under most circumstances for the music I listen to, with more marginal improvements for some other genres. Overall, for a mere $600, and being able to do the install yourself, not having to go with custom fabrication, and it being backed up by a 100 day no questions asked return policy, it's great. If you're looking at it from the perspective of, "its WAY better than it was," you'll be pleased I think. There is literally no harm in trying, they'll take it back, while being really nice about it, and you'll get all of your money back besides the shipping if you don't like how it sounds.

But, ROI is fantastic here! If you're on the fence, I really recommend you try them if you want a minimally involved audio upgrade. Again, I'm no audiophile. But it sounded like complete crap before, and now it sounds reasonably good; my ears didn't change, so I know the sound did. Still not where it should be for a car of this price that is the subject of marketing such that it is a luxury product.

Also worth noting, I've since come to find other direct replacements that use the original BMW wiring harness, and require no modification to the stock enclosure like the BavSound, and I may try the Rockford Fosgate ones at some point; probably purchased through Crutchfield because of their strong return policy and excellent customer service to attempt to match the service experience I've had from BavSound. But for now, I'm not fixing what isn't broken.

Hoping this set will last longer than previous ones. I'll report back if any issues arise.

Good luck! Take the plunge.
      08-19-2022, 07:51 PM   #12
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by subterFUSE View Post
I can tell you the big difference in sound will come from adding their DSP/amplifier.

The ability to delay and EQ speakers independently is the largest single improvement that can be made. Without a DSP we can't tune the system properly.
I was made to understand by one of their CSRs when I purchased my first set almost a few years ago now, that the amp upgrade was not possible for my base pre-LCI with HK (S688A); it was meant for vehicles with the Hi-Fi system (S676A); that is, the non-premium audio for non-M cars, which is not configurable on an M5, as the HK is the floor for that model. Have you been able to configure the amp with the HK in an M5? I've been waiting for this!

I still can't seem to find any amp on their website that isn't intended for either of the two HiFi systems — "standard" and "top."
      08-19-2022, 07:55 PM   #13
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep

I have not attempted any audio upgrades to my M5 because it is a lease, and the level of audio upgrades that I do to my cars take years to implement. I just won't own this car long enough to install a stereo in it.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 07:57 PM   #14
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep

If the amp upgrade doesn't work on the F90 then I cannot recommend anyone attempt to upgrade the audio in their car.

Just live with it. Or buy another car.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 08:08 PM   #15
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If the amp upgrade doesn't work on the F90 then I cannot recommend anyone attempt to upgrade the audio in their car.

Just live with it. Or buy another car.
I see what you're saying but that's an all or nothing approach. Have unlivable crap to tolerable, and some times pretty good bass. For $600. And one hour of time.

Admittedly I'm not an audiophile — maybe you hear the difference such that I can't comprehend, that even with the Ghost kit, it's "bad" sound to your ears.

The M5, to me, is perfect in every other regard (except the squeaky brakes). The presence of a marginally good, but an easily improved audio system is not reason for most buyers to pass on the car entirely.
      08-19-2022, 08:10 PM   #16
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have not attempted any audio upgrades to my M5 because it is a lease, and the level of audio upgrades that I do to my cars take years to implement. I just won't own this car long enough to install a stereo in it.
So were both of mine! That's why this makes so much sense! It's entirely reversible, on top of all the other perceived (by me) benefits. And you can put that set in your next leased car!
      08-28-2022, 10:20 PM   #17
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Just ordered the subwoofers and maybe /probably should have just ordered all of them.

🤞
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2022, 10:48 PM   #18
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just ordered the subwoofers and maybe /probably should have just ordered all of them.

🤞
I think you'll be super pleased! Keep us posted!
      09-11-2022, 11:51 AM   #19
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Just ordered the full kit. Figured I would do the whole thing at once. Plan is to install in 2 weeks…
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2022, 06:40 AM   #20
RalphT5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Just ordered the full kit. Figured I would do the whole thing at once. Plan is to install in 2 weeks…
Let us know how it goes! I'm contemplating the same for mine.
      09-21-2022, 10:07 AM   #21
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphT5 View Post
Quote:
Installing all speakers this Friday - will do…
Appreciate 2
RalphT5255.50
shawnhayes1834.00
      09-21-2022, 09:37 PM   #22
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphT5 View Post
Quote:
Installing all speakers this Friday - will do…
Can't wait to hear your thoughts! Give it 20 hours to break in, even though the insert says 12.