BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Do you need downpipes to run Jb4+

07-15-2023, 09:54 PM   #1
That.yellow.m5
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C Dakar Yellow 2

Do you need downpipes to run Jb4+

I’m planing on buying a plug n play tuner for my f90 (I’ll flash my ecu after warranty runs out) but don’t really want high flow downpipes right now so I was wondering if I could still run jb4+ (or any other plug n play tuners) with stock exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2023, 10:08 PM   #2
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

The piggybacks have stage 1 tunes for stock cars. Obviously make less power than a stage 2 tune and supporting mods, but they still wake the car up.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2023, 10:59 PM   #3
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by That.yellow.m5 View Post
I’m planing on buying a plug n play tuner for my f90 (I’ll flash my ecu after warranty runs out) but don’t really want high flow downpipes right now so I was wondering if I could still run jb4+ (or any other plug n play tuners) with stock exhaust.
I run RaceChip GTS Black with stock M Sport exhaust that is part of the Comp package. Problem free for a combined ~40K miles over two F90s. ~29K of which were run on my pre-LCI base (that obviously didn’t even have the M Sport Exhaust) and ~10K on my current LCI. ~5K with the exhaust valve flap actuator fuses unplugged (valves in the open position) all the time. Absolutely no problems either way, on either car whatsoever.

Agree with pbonsalb that it really wakes the car up. I can definitely tell when it’s been uninstalled for dealer service. Great bang for your buck for the price. You can always reach out to r33_RGSport for advice and guidance on this. He’s an awesome forum vendor that many of us have done business with and who everyone recommends — myself included. He sells RaceChips.

I haven’t personally used JB4, but I do know of someone running it on an F80 with the stock exhaust also. I have not seen anything anywhere that suggests you’d need DPs to make a piggyback work, but as mentioned above, it may be supportive of other mods, even a piggyback.
      07-16-2023, 05:22 AM   #4
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

You do know that the dealer can pick up if you have used a piggy back dont you?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 07:21 AM   #5
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Yes, it is well known that it is possible, though not immediately and very easily identifiable as with a flash tune.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 03:25 PM   #6
zman21
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Competition

Guys - FWIW, piggy backs can be detected by BMW. I have been down this road. Ended up making good friends with my local BMW M mechanic and he told me he can spot a deleted flash tune and now removed piggy, too, (via BMW software) as soon as he hooks up to the car. I don't know how, but their software systems are getting pretty sophisticated. So much so that it also immediately sends this info to corporate and flags your car permanently so you're pretty much screwed as far as your warranty. It will most likely be voided as soon as it's discovered and you have zero recourse. That said, there are things your mechanic can do to prevent the software from showing a piggy PRIOR to plugging in and sending to corporate, but you better have a good relationship and def. talk to them first. My 2 cents: If your car is under warranty and you want to keep it, it's not worth messing around with a flash/piggy. Wait until after it expires.

Last edited by zman21; 07-17-2023 at 08:09 PM..
Appreciate 0