BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    M5 2018 Warranty Speaker Issue

08-26-2019, 11:14 AM   #1
sleoni
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

Angry M5 2018 Warranty Speaker Issue

So I brought my M5 into the dealer in Miami as I thought the speaker was blown. Turns out the issue appears to be the speaker under the passenger seat is not perfect sealed allowing paper such as business cards to get into the speaker between the subwoofer and grille. Meaning when the radios on the paper hits the woofer and makes a sound whereby you would think its blown out. I was not aware that the floor speakers were designed to allow paper inside them and BMW wants to charge $750.00 to remove the paper while in for service. The dealer says "The speaker is under the front passenger seat and there looks like there is a small slot it could fit through. That is why the labor is what it is, the seat has to be removed". Has anyone heard of such a thing? If so, I think BMW should warn all driver that loose paper or change on the floor will fall into the speaker systems.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 11:25 AM   #2
yvnrg1981
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

It does not sound like a warranty issue. I'm surprised they didn't charge you labor for identifying the problem. I would not fault BMW for that. You don't have to fix it with them, now that you know where the problem is coming from. If you would have taken it to a private shop you would be replacing the speaker by now, or the amp. They didn't lie to you and told you what the problem is. It's up to you if you would like to proceed and fix it with them or on your own.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 12:57 PM   #3
LexProf
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

That sucks. I had the same issue, except with the B&W stereo in my M550ix. It sounded like the speaker under my passenger seat was blown, but it turns out a business card had fallen under the seat and made its way into the speaker. Luckily, I was able to grab it and pull it out by hand. Sorry to hear that wasn't possible in your case. It is silly that the system allows stuff like that to slip in. Bad design.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 01:51 PM   #4
FloridaM5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp RWD

Garage List
  [5.83]
Sorry to hear it's gonna cost you to get this fixed....not ideal for sure. I'd like to thank you for posting. I was about to have some speakers replaced because I thought one was blown...turns out there was some nonsense under the passenger seat that was vibrating. Was able to remove myself in this case.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 02:21 PM   #5
vitaly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: NA

If it was me, I'd be pushing for at least a courtesy/one-time fix under warranty. It's not like you're purposefully shoving quarters in there! A dropped business card or coin shouldn't muffle the speaker if it's designed sensibly, which apparently it's not. On a $100+k car that's just some BS. Try a different dealer and/or contact BMW directly. I'm not one to try freeloading off the manufacturer, but a dropped business card? Cmon now.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 05:08 PM   #6
A Need For Speed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp Nardo/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaly View Post
If it was me, I'd be pushing for at least a courtesy/one-time fix under warranty. It's not like you're purposefully shoving quarters in there! A dropped business card or coin shouldn't muffle the speaker if it's designed sensibly, which apparently it's not. On a $100+k car that's just some BS. Try a different dealer and/or contact BMW directly. I'm not one to try freeloading off the manufacturer, but a dropped business card? Cmon now.
I agree should be a warranty issue but its all in the presentation of the problem, my friend. Go to another dealer and tell them it has been there since you took delivery but you haven't had time to deal with it. You want it fixed under warranty and are not sure what it could be....a small detail that now makes it their problem. When they find the card, you never heard of that person, must have been a BMW salesman dropped it.

And BTW, I am definitely one to try to freeload off the manufacturer. 130K+ cars do that to me...

Last edited by A Need For Speed; 08-26-2019 at 05:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 05:16 PM   #7
vitaly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Need For Speed View Post
Quote:
I agree should be a warranty issue but its all in the presentation of the problem, my friend. Go to another dealer and tell them it has been there since you took delivery but you haven't had time to deal with it. You want it fixed under warranty and are not sure what it could be....

And BTW, I am definitely one to try to freeload off the manufacturer. 130K+ cars do that to me...
It'll be an interesting conversation when they find a business card with his name and it being there "since delivery" .

Freeloading vs expectations is a fine line
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 05:19 PM   #8
A Need For Speed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp Nardo/Aragon

Quote:
It'll be an interesting conversation when they find a business card with his name and it being there "since delivery" .

Freeloading vs expectations is a fine line
He didn't say it was his business card but if so, then shouldn't matter. If you have a speaker issue, whatever that may be, it should be covered. This is not a Geo Metro. Some dealers are assholes. Find another that has a better attitude and I bet it's covered.

Last edited by A Need For Speed; 08-26-2019 at 05:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 06:55 PM   #9
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

What the hell? How the PO&()*&# did such a bad design make it into production. A mesh covering could prevent this or make it much less likely to happen. No business cards are allowed in my car.

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 07:18 PM   #10
shellbmb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

My speaker under the driver's seat was indeed blown. They fixed it under warranty no problem. Can they see something in there? Yes, there are slits in the speaker cover, but its pretty far under the seat. Curious if they are giving you correct information.

They had to order a new part from Germany which took two weeks. They replaced it and problem solved.
Appreciate 0