Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNALUZU View Post
Quote:
Where did the yellow angel eyes go?
Quote:
And even then you don't get the retro-French yellow LED strip lights (only when you have the headlights on though – for daylight running legislation insists they glow white).
You may have missed this part in the article.
Can't read, thanks.

That sucks big time. Ugh.

It's funny that the law (apparently) dictates what color the front DRLs must be - E6x/9x had yellow - but they don't say the rear lights must be on in DRL mode... which they should be on because people also drive behind cars, you know. Had that coded on my car immediately.
«The law» on light colours is (and has been since 1971) quite strict in Europe.

Lights towards the front shall be white, except for turn signal lights (amber) and front fog lights (yellow or white).

Lights towards the side shall be amber

Lights towards the rear shall be red, except turn signal lights (amber) and reversing lights (white).

The E6x and E9x did not have yellow DRLs. What BMW did was using the loophole in the legislation that says that a front side marking light must be amber but allows «stray light» to be emitted towards the front. The amber light strip on a E6x has three amber LEDs toward the side, with a light strip going across the headlight. No light source with direct amber light towards the front.

Same loophole for the rear where a side marking light can emitt red light if it is integrated in the main rear light housing. A separate side marking light must be amber though.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 07:03 AM   #24
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
And even then you don't get the retro-French yellow LED strip lights (only when you have the headlights on though – for daylight running legislation insists they glow white).
Can't read, thanks.

It's funny that the law (apparently) dictates what color the front DRLs must be - E6x/9x had yellow - but they don't say the rear lights must be on in DRL mode... which they should be on because people also drive behind cars, you know. Had that coded on my car immediately.
"The law" on light colours is (and has been since 1971) quite strict in Europe.

Lights towards the front shall be white, except for turn signal lights (amber) and front fog lights (yellow or white).

Lights towards the rear shall be red, except turn signal lights (amber) and reversing lights (white).

The E6x and E9x did not have yellow DRLs. What BMW did was using the loophole in the legislation that says that a front side marking light must be amber but allows "stray light" to be emitted towards the front. The amber light strip on a E6x has three amber LEDs toward the side, with a light strip going across the headlight. No light source with direct amber light towards the front.

Same loophole for the rear where a side marking light can emitt red light if it is integrated in the main rear light housing. A separate side marking light must be amber though.
The halogen Angel eyes looked pretty yellow to me. The three amber dots were on only with the parking lights or low-beams. ECE E90 LCI.

Do you have a link to the legislation documents regarding this, thanks
      05-15-2021, 09:36 AM   #25
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Can't read, thanks.

"The law" on light colours is (and has been since 1971) quite strict in Europe.

The E6x and E9x did not have yellow DRLs. What BMW did was using the loophole in the legislation that says that a front side marking light must be amber but allows "stray light" to be emitted towards the front. The amber light strip on a E6x has three amber LEDs toward the side, with a light strip going across the headlight. No light source with direct amber light towards the front.

The halogen Angel eyes looked pretty yellow to me. The three amber dots were on only with the parking lights or low-beams. ECE E90 LCI.

Do you have a link to the legislation documents regarding this, thanks
They look yellow compared with todays colder white of the LEDs, but are still within the spectre of white.

Just like older halogen headlights also has a more warm white.

This is ECE Reg 48 which regulates light installation, ie number, position, electrical connections etc. There are also separate technical regulations with specific requirements for each type of light. You will see those regs referenced under each light type in ECE 48:

https://unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/tran...5/R048r12e.pdf
Appreciate 1
swagon13482.50
      05-15-2021, 01:07 PM   #26
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbeast7 View Post
i built my own m5cs. i ordered an m5 comp with no options. only CCB's and forged wheels.

im not a fan of the pewter accents and the red calipers on CCB's is offputting bc all the fake 5 series M models have red calipers.

that fact alone made the ccb mandatory for me , i dislike the dilution of the M mark a lot
I did very similar, factory order with CCBs ticked and visibility pack ticked, no comfort packs etc .
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 03:14 PM   #27
Puneet///M3
09 ///M3
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3 E92, M5CS,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
So this is available in non-limited number to everyone in the world but the U.S. only gets about 400
Canada is only getting 25 units?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 04:50 PM   #28
Chicane_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 CS + other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puneet///M3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
So this is available in non-limited number to everyone in the world but the U.S. only gets about 400
Canada is only getting 25 units?
Is that a question or a statement?
Appreciate 1
cncmastr1568.50
      05-15-2021, 05:09 PM   #29
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

I will make a smart guess knowing the brand for a long time ... BMW will produce a bunch meaning couple of thousands rather than what the dealers are saying 450 units to the US.
I could be wrong but it does not make sense for BMW to invest a lot of money in a CS version and limit production significantly and don't make their money back
for the M3/M4 version I think if you add both together , then numbers add up as compared if you look at each one alone .
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 05:40 PM   #30
Chicane_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 CS + other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PGH View Post
I will make a smart guess knowing the brand for a long time ... BMW will produce a bunch meaning couple of thousands rather than what the dealers are saying 450 units to the US.
I could be wrong but it does not make sense for BMW to invest a lot of money in a CS version and limit production significantly and don't make their money back
for the M3/M4 version I think if you add both together , then numbers add up as compared if you look at each one alone .
They'll produce as many as they can over the 1 year run. Keep in mind that demand for the M5C continues while the industry is also facing semiconductor shortages.

450 units for the US may in fact be what they've initially allocated to that region based on expected demand and their ability to supply. The number could increase if circumstances change.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 06:46 PM   #31
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Keep in mind that they only made 607 M3CS for the US for the 2018 year. So, I doubt that they will make "thousands" of the M5CS.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 1
AHall965.50
      05-15-2021, 09:55 PM   #32
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Does anyone know if the M5 CS can be leased? The M3 CS could not be leased.
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 10:38 PM   #33
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greer View Post
Programs have not been release yet so we don't know one way or another. I'm guessing that they learned their lesson from the M3CS and will have lease programs for the M5 variant.

'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 12:36 AM   #34
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Not originally but then they woke up and leased them like crazy - in the end most 3CS were leased not bought.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 04:03 AM   #35
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Wat? The M5 CS weighs “only” about 4000lbs? So they cut like 300lbs from the regular M5 competition....how?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 06:23 AM   #36
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingwan View Post
Wat? The M5 CS weighs “only” about 4000lbs? So they cut like 300lbs from the regular M5 competition....how?

read..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 07:07 AM   #37
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Keep in mind that they only made 607 M3CS for the US for the 2018 year. So, I doubt that they will make "thousands" of the M5CS.
Yes , but if you add the M4CS which is essentially the same car and was built over 2 model years , then the number will probably be closer to couple of thousands.
So I see them doing same with M5CS.
I don't know that for sure , but making a smart guess
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 09:32 AM   #38
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Yes , but if you add the M4CS which is essentially the same car and was built over 2 model years , then the number will probably be closer to couple of thousands.
So I see them doing same with M5CS.
I don't know that for sure , but making a smart guess
BMW never claimed that the M4CS would be built in limited numbers. It was build for more than one model year so I don't see how you can include that in any comparison.

'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 12:13 PM   #39
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:
They only made ~500 M2 CSs, and that had a bespoke roof and hood, plus countless hours tuning the suspension for adaptive dampers.

So yes they would sell a few only.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 08:15 PM   #40
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Not necessarily. The M5 CS was not just thought of during the middle of the G30 lifecycle, the entire 5er was planned to include a 5er, M5 and CS variants so pricing of all models would have likely covered any cost and R&D.

Can't say the same for the U.S market or any market for that matter but Canada is only getting 25 units so it's possible M5 CS production is fixed. Product bulletin has stated that production would run from March - June 2021.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 09:15 PM   #41
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Quote:
Not necessarily. The M5 CS was not just thought of during the middle of the G30 lifecycle, the entire 5er was planned to include a 5er, M5 and CS variants so pricing of all models would have likely covered any cost and R&D.

Can't say the same for the U.S market or any market for that matter but Canada is only getting 25 units so it's possible M5 CS production is fixed. Product bulletin has stated that production would run from March - June 2021.
Interesting how they are separating production times by country. Looks like US allocations are for July and November productions.

'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 02:22 AM   #42
RaTeD ///M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2K13 M5

Quote:
And no cup holders, no folding down rear seats, no guided cruise control, and of course no Bowers & Wi. audio for fine listening. LOL.
There cup holders in the front.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 09:42 AM   #43
Dark-Knight
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

I hate the radar controlled cruise, I would rather hear the motor than carry the weight of extra speakers
Appreciate 1