BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Parking sensors going off

04-28-2021, 05:38 AM   #1
H1R4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Audi A7

Parking sensors going off

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi guys,

Over the weekend I changed my Paddle shifters for some MMR ones. As you know you have disconnect the battery etc. After I put everything back together I'm getting sometimes either the front left or front right (sensors next to the numberplate) going crazy when I'm coming to a stop or getting to a stop. Has anyone ever had this issue? If so how do I rectify it. I don't really want to book the car in. I was thinking to purchase bimmerlink and clear any fault codes. It is saying to clean the sensors which I've done multiple times now. Not sure if anyone else can shed any light please?

Thanks

Raj
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 04:51 PM   #2
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

That is odd that disconnecting the battery would do that......might be one of those things that will work itself out over a few start up shut down cycles?

How are the paddles??? Photos?

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 05:38 AM   #3
H1R4
Enlisted Member
Rep

Car seems fine now. Will monitor it over the weekend.
Here are some images (had to screenshot from my Instagram page as I didn't save the pictures)

https://flic.kr/p/2kVAT4n
https://flic.kr/p/2kVETzs

The images I've probably done completely wrong I haven't uploaded to a fourm in ages so not sure which app is best to use
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 02:13 PM   #4
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Very nice....

Metal?

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 03:41 AM   #5
H1R4
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yes they're metal. Have a really nice feel to them. Cost around £200.

Parking sensors still going off so not sure what's going on. Might just book it into BMW
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 03:00 AM   #6
H1R4
Enlisted Member
Rep

Bump..

Now I'm getting the following errors
Driver assistance restricted
Lane departure warning
Steering assistant
Side collision warning
Lane change warning

Could disconnecting the battery for around an hour to install some new paddles & the carbon steering piece be the root cause of these problems? I've plugged in bimmerlink and tried to clear all the codes I was hoping this would fix it but it hasn't. Can anyone shed some light before I take it into the dealer?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 08:23 AM   #7
creedthings
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5 Comp

mine does something similar, every now and then when i'm backing into a spot it will think something is right behind me and literally WILL NOT let me back up so i look like an absolute moron who can't reverse into a spot. some guy literally yelled at me "come on buddy you can do it…" :
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 08:49 AM   #8
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 M5C

Could it be your battery has a low charge? Do you have a trickle charger to hook it to, to see if that might help? Lots of times these electrical “gremlins” seem to be symptomatic of a low battery voltage.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 03:56 AM   #9
H1R4
Enlisted Member
Rep

So, I've checked the charge of the battery and it was at 85% don't think that's the issue. I did have a guy connect up and it was showing a 030487 error steering wheel module vibration actuator line disconnected. So I dismantled the steering wheel again double checked all the connection on everything (including checking the vibration module 4 times). I'm not particularly sure why this is happening. I will be putting the oem trim and paddles back on and giving BMW a call to book it in. Seems like the car is really sensitive when you disconnect the battery which is stupid imo. I've tried to clear the faults and with my audi this would usually work
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 08:46 AM   #10
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by H1R4 View Post
So, I've checked the charge of the battery and it was at 85% don't think that's the issue. I did have a guy connect up and it was showing a 030487 error steering wheel module vibration actuator line disconnected. So I dismantled the steering wheel again double checked all the connection on everything (including checking the vibration module 4 times). I'm not particularly sure why this is happening. I will be putting the oem trim and paddles back on and giving BMW a call to book it in. Seems like the car is really sensitive when you disconnect the battery which is stupid imo. I've tried to clear the faults and with my audi this would usually work
Oh, so there is also this thing I have heard about before, where you sometimes have to “register” your battery to your car. Not sure whether that might be the case for you here or what, and unfortunately I also do not know how to do it, but since you have disconnected it, perhaps that is the case?
Appreciate 0