ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

07-07-2014, 07:30 PM   #89
nick3753
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
2017 Audi S6  [0.00]
1997 BMW 328i Touring  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3guy3 View Post
IMO i think its weird to see older people driving flashy sports car in general. like who are you trying to impress ? dont you have a wife lol!
Clearly not, otherwise he would be driving some more "practical".
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 01:04 AM   #90
UK6
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 & 330e

I'm sure that will help shift the corvette here in the UK and Europe , maybe sales upward of 9 this year.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 12:52 PM   #91
Dalko43
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail

Garage List
Quote:
I am not a person who mocks older people, trust me. I just think its weird to see older guys driving flashy cars. I understand if someone is very wealthy and they want a Lamborghini to add to the "collect".

IMO a AMG, or M car is less flashy, more something you can pull up to the office in. instead of that red corvette, that every 16 year old wants.
Certainly seemed like you were mocking C7 drivers when you said the below.

Quote:
IMO i think its weird to see older people driving flashy sports car in general. like who are you trying to impress ? dont you have a wife lol!
But anyway, that seems to be the double standard with Corvette owners in general...when a 40 something balding male buys one, he is "having a mid-life crisis." But when that same person buys a BMW M car or a high end porsche or ferrari, he is perceived as being normal....in that people assume he is just a normal rich douchebag buying a fancy car. I only half-kid on that last part and don't share that sentiment, just saying that's how a lot of people view owners of nice cars.

Anyway, it'll be more than 16 year olds and middle aged men buying this new generation of Corvettes.

And people on this forum shouldn't be criticizing C7 buyers as attention seekers, because let's be honest, there are far too many BMW owners who buy their cars and get senseless exhaust and appearance mods simply for the attention and cool factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms21 View Post
Thanks for the first hand research on the small penis buyers. Did you like the taste? What size penis do Porsche buyers, BMW buyers, etc. have? Just curious on your personal findings with those types of buyers.

Because people that buy sportscars do so solely to impress someone else huh. You fit the typical BMW stereotype perfectly
Well said.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 02:20 PM   #92
M3guy3
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalko43 View Post
Certainly seemed like you were mocking C7 drivers when you said the below.

But anyway, that seems to be the double standard with Corvette owners in general...when a 40 something balding male buys one, he is "having a mid-life crisis." But when that same person buys a BMW M car or a high end porsche or ferrari, he is perceived as being normal....in that people assume he is just a normal rich douchebag buying a fancy car. I only half-kid on that last part and don't share that sentiment, just saying that's how a lot of people view owners of nice cars.

Anyway, it'll be more than 16 year olds and middle aged men buying this new generation of Corvettes.

And people on this forum shouldn't be criticizing C7 buyers as attention seekers, because let's be honest, there are far too many BMW owners who buy their cars and get senseless exhaust and appearance mods simply for the attention and cool factor.

Well said.
i honestly don't understand why so many people think only middle aged guys buy corvettes. I am in my 20s, i can tell you everyone i know thinks corvettes are badass cars. AND has thought this way for as long as i know. even the last generations, not just the c7.

my biggest problem with corvettes is the fact that they become a overplayed car. Its not really a special car IMO. I like to have cars that mainly true car guys buy, and can relate to. your not going to see some blonde house wife driving a M3, but you would in a corvette. lol
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 02:41 PM   #93
Dalko43
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
i honestly don't understand why so many people think only middle aged guys buy corvettes. I am in my 20s, i can tell you everyone i know thinks corvettes are badass cars. AND has thought this way for as long as i know. even the last generations, not just the c7.
I'm not saying that corvette buyers are middle-aged men either..I'm just pointing out your double standard for those middle-aged men who do buy corvettes: "they look weird and seek attention" according to you.

Yet somehow that label doesn't apply to men of the same age who buy bmw's and porsches.

Quote:
my biggest problem with corvettes is the fact that they become a overplayed car. Its not really a special car IMO.
Overplayed? Don't know what you meant there. They are certainly cheaper so you'll see more of them. But you truly show how naive you are when it comes to cars when you say this:

Quote:
I like to have cars that mainly true car guys buy, and can relate to. your not going to see some blonde house wife driving a M3, but you would in a corvette. lol
There are a lot of true car guys, and gals, who buy cars like the corvette...because they don't care about marketing, image appeal, or bade pride. They buy cars that offer the best performance for their $ value, and very few cars can compete with Corvette in that regard. Whereas I see far too many people, who know nothing about cars, buy BMW's simply because of the badge or because they think its a status symbol.

Where do you live by the way? I don't know of many housewives, blonde or otherwise driving either the corvette or M3. You're more likely to see them driving a minivan or a lexus or Porsche Panamera than a sports car or sports coupe. But between the 2 brands, corvette and BMW, i certainly see more wives driving BMW.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 03:09 PM   #94
M3guy3
Captain
Rep

corvette is like the typical non cars persons car. If that makes sense. Its more of a iconic car that EVERYONE knows of. I see all different kinds of people buying corvette. young, old, the car people, blonde house wifes etc. the car appeals to everyone. Which is also why i don't like it as much. Not nearly as many people know what a M3 is. Its less main stream in that sense.

It feels better to me when i drive car other true car enthusiast drive. sure some people are not enthusiasts, i agree. But the ratio is much higher on the corvette.

whenever i see another M3 on the road, its exciting. I use to drive a mustang GT, because so many different people are driving mustangs. seeing another mustang on the road was no big deal. Plus half the time it was girls.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 03:26 PM   #95
Dalko43
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
corvette is like the typical non cars persons car.
Okay, now it's official. You are either trolling or really have no clue what you are talking about. Next time you get lapped by a c7 or the upcoming Z06, you just tell yourself, "it's okay, that driver is obviously not a car person."

Quote:
If that makes sense. Its more of a iconic car that EVERYONE knows of. I see all different kinds of people buying corvette. young, old, the car people, blonde house wifes etc. the car appeals to everyone. Which is also why i don't like it as much. Not nearly as many people know what a M3 is. Its less main stream in that sense.

It feels better to me when i drive car other true car enthusiast drive. sure some people are not enthusiasts, i agree. But the ratio is much higher on the corvette.

whenever i see another M3 on the road, its exciting. I use to drive a mustang GT, because so many different people are driving mustangs. seeing another mustang on the road was no big deal. Plus half the time it was girls.
The way you write it seems the only thing that is important to you about a car is how rare and exclusive it is. Those aspects are valued by many car enthusiasts, but they are not the only things that matter....reliability, cost/performance, maintenance, handling, looks...there many other things that factor in.

Corvettes are viewed as the blue-collared sports car among car enthusiasts, because they tick off all of the above boxes and they cost far less than most competitors. Thus they are much more prevalent on the roads. But that doesn't take away from their driving experience. M3's are also awesome driver's cars...i just think there are a lot more people who buy those cars because of the badge or perceived status symbolism.

I believe a true car enthusiast goes for the car that is truly fun and engaging to drive on the road, regardless of how exclusive the car is. Both the M3 and Corvette meet that standard, though in different ways.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 03:44 PM   #96
M3guy3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Okay, now it's official. You are either trolling or really have no clue what you are talking about. Next time you get lapped by a c7 or the upcoming Z06, you just tell yourself, "it's okay, that driver is obviously not a car person."

you missing the point. I am not trolling! I am saying if you ask any non car person. What is there favorite sports car is, most will say corvette or Lamborghini. because that is all they know. Its like the "go to car" for many.

It has zero to due with how good the car performs!

Also believe it or not. The c7 Z06 is on my list for cars i am looking to get next. I wouldn't dream of every buying a corvette, but i prefer large displacement v8s/SC V8s over small displacement turbo engines (which is what most european cars are going).
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 07:21 AM   #97
See5
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:

Where do you live by the way? I don't know of many housewives, blonde or otherwise driving either the corvette or M3. You're more likely to see them driving a minivan or a lexus or Porsche Panamera than a sports car or sports coupe. But between the 2 brands, corvette and BMW, i certainly see more wives driving BMW.
Exactly. In fact, the 911 and Corvette have the most male dominated owner profile of any regular production car in the industry.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 10:12 PM   #98
Dalko43
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sered View Post
The M4 makes more power and torque than the Stingray, weighs similar, but has tiny tires by comparison. No shit it's going to be a nightmare. We can blame BMW for not properly sizing the tires (again)
The Stingray has much more HP and Torque at the crank than the BMW m4 according to the advertised numbers. I know that there are some unusually high dyno tests for the M4 that over-eager fans are getting excited about.

Let's let the dust settle and give reviewers and magazines a chance to put the M4 through its paces before we start making exaggerated claims.

Last edited by Dalko43; 07-13-2014 at 09:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 09:15 AM   #99
JoshuaKM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

Just wanted to say that I highly recommend that any BMW enthusiast try to test drive the new C7 corvette coupe. I went for a test drive yesterday and I was blown away by the quality of the interior (almost all surfaces are covered with high quality napa leather on the 3LT option package) and the car's performance is just ridiculous. I'm not say that the C7 is "better" than the M3 but it deserves to be looked at. As one car reviewer recently said.... 911 guys will always be 911 guys, M3 guys will always be M3 guys. Part of the fun is testing out all these cars and seeing what these amazing engineers are capable of building. I have to say that i'm proud that we're producing this bad-ass car in Bowling Green, KY.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 10:19 AM   #100
alms21
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 GT-R

Agreed ^^^

Options are great to have. Nothing wrong with favoring one over the other or being a "BMW" "911" or "Vette" guy so long as you can appreciate others and give credit where its due. There is no denying that any one of these is a fantastic piece of machinery and I, personally, would be proud to have any of them parked in my garage. Just go with what works best for you from a purpose standpoint and makes you want to grab the keys. I could never DD a 911 or a Vette (I tried already). Having said that, I would not own an M3/M4/RS5/C63 type car as a weekend/fun car.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 02:06 PM   #101
bernpep
BMWCCA member #2429
Rep
Drives: '12M.C.Blue M3, '16 targa 4S

YES

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbeef View Post
I will refrain from commenting too much until I drive one...but the design elements of the car aren't speaking to me on paper. And the tech isn't all that special either.

Seems like a 335 M package more than a full blown M3. Not special enough.
Exactly what I've been saying
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 02:13 PM   #102
Wes Howell
www.facebook.com/weshowellcreative
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M4 Coupe Project Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernpep View Post
Exactly what I've been saying
You guys kill me.

It's like saying hey I don't want to lowball you but let me offer you half of what this car is worth...

Or

Hey don't take this personal but you're fat and ugly.

How can you call the car a 335 "M package" if you haven't driven it...or owned it?

No personal attacks here...it just seems funny to me. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I'd prefer people to drive the car before making judgments like that.

IMHO, the M4 is LEAPS and BOUNDS ahead of the E92. Even one with 600 HP. I drove the piss out of my E92 for 3 years. I didn't just switch to a 335 M package.... I can promise you that.

The new M4 is definitely an Mcar. Don't kid yourself. Oh yeah...and to get back on topic - the E92 would not hang in there with the new Vette on a track.....
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 07:19 PM   #103
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKM View Post
Just wanted to say that I highly recommend that any BMW enthusiast try to test drive the new C7 corvette coupe. I went for a test drive yesterday and I was blown away by the quality of the interior (almost all surfaces are covered with high quality napa leather on the 3LT option package) and the car's performance is just ridiculous. I'm not say that the C7 is "better" than the M3 but it deserves to be looked at. As one car reviewer recently said.... 911 guys will always be 911 guys, M3 guys will always be M3 guys. Part of the fun is testing out all these cars and seeing what these amazing engineers are capable of building. I have to say that i'm proud that we're producing this bad-ass car in Bowling Green, KY.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 07:41 AM   #104
JoeyBananas
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: NA

I dunno, Vettes always seemed Cheesy to me. If I wanted a two seat American muscle car, hands down. Viper.

Also, the Vette is a sports car,the M4 is more of a touring car or whatever the term is......

I've driven the new Vette, it's no doubt an AWESOME car, but I dunno, I always think, "meh, it's still a corvette"

Last edited by JoeyBananas; 07-25-2014 at 07:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 08:52 AM   #105
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

Quote:

my biggest problem with corvettes is the fact that they become a overplayed car. Its not really a special car IMO. I like to have cars that mainly true car guys buy, and can relate to. your not going to see some blonde house wife driving a M3, but you would in a corvette. lol
A couple of the guys on camaro5 race a local track for them where lap record is held by a woman in a full blown ZR1 track car.

Just saying... never make assumptions.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 10:53 AM   #106
JoeyBananas
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Look, I plan on picking up an M4 but c'mon......................... There is absolutely nothing exclusive about a BMW, especially an M car. BMW has one of the most lenient Leasing programs and probably the reason why I see so many guys in M3's who really cant afford 'em

lets not forget all these "M" performance packages BMW loves to slap on the entry level models
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 08:08 PM   #107
M3guy3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBananas View Post
Look, I plan on picking up an M4 but c'mon......................... There is absolutely nothing exclusive about a BMW, especially an M car. BMW has one of the most lenient Leasing programs and probably the reason why I see so many guys in M3's who really cant afford 'em

lets not forget all these "M" performance packages BMW loves to slap on the entry level models
personally I see many more corvettes than M cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 08:40 PM   #108
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
...but I dunno, I always think, "meh, it's still a corvette"
Don't think like that. The new C7 Corvette is the real deal. I think it's cool they think to compare the M4 to a car like Vette -- probably the greatest performance bang for buck in the world. That the M4 is so close in performance to the Corvette despite having a proper back seat and trunk and all the luxury is saying a lot for the M4. And even more so the M3.

Cheers.
      07-25-2014, 08:47 PM   #109
J50
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15' M4

Quote:
BMW has one of the most lenient Leasing programs and probably the reason why I see so many guys in M3's who really cant afford 'em
My 11' E92 was at the height of the good leases, for an M car in recent history anyway. The E93 did lease out better at the time (better residual), even though was a higher priced car. But still I got the E92 for $500 over invoice, $70k MSRP, no markup on rate. 36 months/12k/almost $6k out of pocket and was still about $768/month.

People who can't afford an M3, generally don't sign up for terms like that or have that type of $ to put down. And how do you know they can't afford them? You know personally their financial situations?

Last edited by J50; 07-25-2014 at 08:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 11:10 AM   #110
JoeyBananas
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J50 View Post
My 11' E92 was at the height of the good leases, for an M car in recent history anyway. The E93 did lease out better at the time (better residual), even though was a higher priced car. But still I got the E92 for $500 over invoice, $70k MSRP, no markup on rate. 36 months/12k/almost $6k out of pocket and was still about $768/month.

People who can't afford an M3, generally don't sign up for terms like that or have that type of $ to put down. And how do you know they can't afford them? You know personally their financial situations?
Of course I don't know everyone's financial situation however I have met quite a few (cars & coffee, track days etc) and after a while you get to see the same faces and talk etc. All I am saying is I have come across a lot of people that make $50-$60,000 a year, rent an apartment and drove an M3....... Just an observation is all.

I don't mean to come of like a huge DBAG, or judge-mental, just touching on the point that M cars aren't really that exclusive and are obtainable by pretty much anyone......

Still an awesome car and I can't wait to get my hands on one
Appreciate 0