BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    DME/Femto unlock questions

11-12-2023, 04:46 PM   #1
prestonharp
Registered
Rep
Drives: 20118 TTRS

DME/Femto unlock questions

Hello! First post in the dark side. Currently have a TTRS and am looking to get into a newer BMW. I've thoroughly read lots of forum threads and information regarding the DME unlock process for most of the new BMW's. From my understanding if you buy anything that was produced past 06/2020 you have to send it over to FEMTO and it's pretty pricey. For pre 06/2020 vehicles it seems they may just require a bench unlock depending on if BMW has done an update. I've been looking mostly at M5's and M8's because I'm not super interested in paying for nor doing the FEMTO unlock. My dilemma here is that I want a LCI (updated) M5. This update started in 2021, although the BUILD date if you run the vin is usually pre 06/2020 if you run the vin for the 2021’s.As long as the vehicle is produced before that date sending it to Femto shouldn't be required correct?
Or am I safer to just get a a 2018-2020 M5 that isn't a LCI... thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 12:51 PM   #2
afo818
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW F90 M5 Competition

Garage List
2019 F90 Comp  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by prestonharp View Post
Hello! First post in the dark side. Currently have a TTRS and am looking to get into a newer BMW. I've thoroughly read lots of forum threads and information regarding the DME unlock process for most of the new BMW's. From my understanding if you buy anything that was produced past 06/2020 you have to send it over to FEMTO and it's pretty pricey. For pre 06/2020 vehicles it seems they may just require a bench unlock depending on if BMW has done an update. I've been looking mostly at M5's and M8's because I'm not super interested in paying for nor doing the FEMTO unlock. My dilemma here is that I want a LCI (updated) M5. This update started in 2021, although the BUILD date if you run the vin is usually pre 06/2020 if you run the vin for the 2021’s.As long as the vehicle is produced before that date sending it to Femto shouldn't be required correct?
Or am I safer to just get a a 2018-2020 M5 that isn't a LCI... thanks.
Look for a 2019 or find a 2021 and send the vin to protuning freaks to check if Ecu is locked. Most likely all of them will be locked