BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Oil cooler guard modification

03-19-2021, 07:10 PM   #23
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Barber View Post
I decided I wanted an oil cooler guard, so I ordered the Fall Line Motorsports model from IND. I thought it would benefit from additional protection, so I had a stainless steel grating welded onto the opening to protect against smaller debris. I plan on installing this myself soon, and will update with the results. Just thought I'd throw out this idea in case there are folks like me who want a guard, but felt like the large openings would still leave the cooler too vulnerable.
Please Sell this setup....I'll order one.....

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 07:33 PM   #24
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
Quote:
I decided I wanted an oil cooler guard, so I ordered the Fall Line Motorsports model from IND. I thought it would benefit from additional protection, so I had a stainless steel grating welded onto the opening to protect against smaller debris. I plan on installing this myself soon, and will update with the results. Just thought I'd throw out this idea in case there are folks like me who want a guard, but felt like the large openings would still leave the cooler too vulnerable.

Mike
+1

What's concerning is just being careful isn't always enough. I don't think an impact that's capable of piercing the oil pan would necessarily be noticeable at highway speeds, listening to the radio, talking on the phone, etc. I think in most cases it would be, and would prompt most of us to pull over and examine everything, but I don't think that would always be the case. Peace of mind would be nice.

I don't see how the extra mesh would in any way restrict air flow/cooling

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 11:02 PM   #25
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Mike
+1

What's concerning is just being careful isn't always enough. I don't think an impact that's capable of piercing the oil pan would necessarily be noticeable at highway speeds, listening to the radio, talking on the phone, etc. I think in most cases it would be, and would prompt most of us to pull over and examine everything, but I don't think that would always be the case. Peace of mind would be nice.

I don't see how the extra mesh would in any way restrict air flow/cooling
That's because it doesn't restrict air flow.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 10:05 AM   #26
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

Hold on, if you add the mesh it will restrict air flow, that's not arguable. The question is how much of a change in flow and will it have any true, daily-normal-car-use, measurable effect on the actual oil temp? Again it would be truly nice if BMW engineers participated in such online forums.

Back in the 90's my dad had a new clutch put in his manual transmission M5 and the clutch felt way too light. He called the factory and actually spoke to the engineer who designed the new lighter clutch (for light weight drivers, read into that what you want, same group who wanted automatic transmission M3 at the same time period). The engineer spoke with him with great enthusiasm for an hour. Today, you can't get any input from the Fatherland. The marketing department has taken over BMW. Just look at the horrible grill no the 2021's. who posted here that they like that grill???? Or the new virtual cock pit display, Meh!!!

Mike

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 07:08 PM   #27
Demon Barber
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5, 2022 911 Turbo S

I've been running my modified version of the Fall Line Motorsports model for a while now, and even when pushing it hard the oil temp never climbs above pre-guard numbers. That guard is seriously heavy gauge steel, and with the thick perforated stainless plate I had welded onto it by my local machine shop, any road debris with substantial mass is going to have a really hard time perforating it and getting to the oil cooler.

Dealership had no complaints when I had it serviced recently, and I know they saw it. Per my request, they also swapped out my plastic oil filter cap for the Weistec aluminum model with a drain plug that I brought with me.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 07:35 AM   #28
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Hold on, if you add the mesh it will restrict air flow, that's not arguable. The question is how much of a change in flow and will it have any true, daily-normal-car-use, measurable effect on the actual oil temp? Again it would be truly nice if BMW engineers participated in such online forums.

Back in the 90's my dad had a new clutch put in his manual transmission M5 and the clutch felt way too light. He called the factory and actually spoke to the engineer who designed the new lighter clutch (for light weight drivers, read into that what you want, same group who wanted automatic transmission M3 at the same time period). The engineer spoke with him with great enthusiasm for an hour. Today, you can't get any input from the Fatherland. The marketing department has taken over BMW. Just look at the horrible grill no the 2021's. who posted here that they like that grill???? Or the new virtual cock pit display, Meh!!!

Mike
It doesn't restrict air flow because it is behind the cooler guard...not in front of it. Air flows through the bumper and DOWN through the cooler. Aerodynamics...
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 2
      03-22-2021, 01:31 PM   #29
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

Um, does your muffler restrict air flow? It's downstream from your intake. Of course it does.

This is fluid dynamics. Each stage of flow has an influence. If not then WHY THE HELL WOULD THE BOTTEM BE WIDE OPEN?

The question remains.....how much difference in cooling would one see if that space was closed over 1. with the grids being used or 2. with a sheet of plywood.

Mike

Appreciate 1
GTTC55.00
      03-22-2021, 10:47 PM   #30
Demon Barber
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5, 2022 911 Turbo S

No doubt it restricts airflow to some degree. The added resistance from the guard + perforated metal grating due to loss of cross sectional area is real, and around 10% from rough calculation since it's already non-laminar flow. I wager that over time, unguarded, the metal fins of the oil cooler radiator, being so exposed, will likely bend and restrict airflow at least as much. Ever looked at a several year old coolant radiator and wonder how much less efficiently air passes through it? It seems reasonable that most of the damage to the oil cooler over time would be from debris bouncing upward from the road, to which it is parallel.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 03:46 PM   #31
northtorque
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 2019

Quote:
No doubt it restricts airflow to some degree. The added resistance from the guard + perforated metal grating due to loss of cross sectional area is real, and around 10% from rough calculation since it's already non-laminar flow. I wager that over time, unguarded, the metal fins of the oil cooler radiator, being so exposed, will likely bend and restrict airflow at least as much. Ever looked at a several year old coolant radiator and wonder how much less efficiently air passes through it? It seems reasonable that most of the damage to the oil cooler over time would be from debris bouncing upward from the road, to which it is parallel.
Very good pro/con long view answer! Totally agree about the bending and debris component on an exposed cooler and minimal flow impact of a cooler guard. I don’t have one installed yet but it is on the horizon I think. If anything, the take away from the disasters that have resulted from a perforated cooler - if I even think I hit something or straddle road debris and hear a “tinkle” on the underbody then PULL OVER IMMEDIATELY AND SHUT ENGINE DOWN. That might make the difference between a minor part repair or major surgery!
Appreciate 1
19M541.00
      12-10-2023, 07:19 AM   #32
Angelo_GraysonMiniBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3,2020 Land Cruiser

Has anyone looked at or purchased the CR Racing oil cooler guard from Autotecknic? Any thoughts on that one, now that I’m freaked out about running over road debris and destroying my engine lol
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 08:48 AM   #33
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I like that design since it has a lot of smaller holes rather than giant ones.
Appreciate 0