E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > E90 Business > CCC Professional Navigation Retrofit

02-13-2011, 12:08 AM   #1
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep
Drives: LCi E60 530i

E90 Business > CCC Professional Navigation Retrofit

Twelve months ago I started buying parts to upgrade my mother’s 2005 E90 320i from business to professional navigation. I did a bit of homework to find out what parts to use by looking at the supersession history on the ETK. Attached are the following pdf files:

1) Official E90 nav bus to pro retrofit EBA guide
2) CCC computer supersession history from the ETK
3) Pro nav parts needed according to the official retrofit kit
I ended up buying by CCC and 8.8” wide screen off eBay out of Germany and the other parts required from www.bmminiparts.com who are HIGHLY recommended.

This is the CCC I bought:

And the monitor:

The official EBA guide is very good and should be the primary source of information to follow, so the next part of this DIY is just to supplement it by showing what I did.

First of all I pulled the dash trim back from the starter button which then allowed me to pull the climate control module out by just pulling it out too.

Then I pulled off the business nav surround, this is held in by about 6 metal pins and is just pull off with a bit of force.

I then pulled the business nav unit out by undoing the two screws that hold it in.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf E90 Nav Bus to Pro Retrofit.pdf (775.6 KB, 4753 views)
File Type: pdf CCC computer.pdf (106.8 KB, 2077 views)
File Type: pdf Prof Nav Parts.pdf (85.5 KB, 1823 views)
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 12:10 AM   #2
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep

Then I removed the business screen by undoing the two torx screws, tilting it forward and pulling it out. Disconnect the LDVS video line and the electrical connection from the back.

I then removed the navigation module holder and changed over the ventilation hose on the firewall so it is much shorter

Next was to install the microphone in the interior light in the roof lining and run the loom.

The microphone making note of the arrow

Remove the pillar trim and the sun visor running the loom down in to the dash

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 12:12 AM   #3
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep

Drop the roof lining a bit and run it through to the interior light and plug it in to the new microphone

Run the loom through to the navigation module and then insert two more speed nuts in to the holder as the professional navigation unit is held in by 4 screws, instead of the business navigation’s two.

The two electrical connection plugs X13813 and X13814 are sided and the socket housing I ordered was for the wrong side, so I had to file the tab off it so it worked and slotted in to the main X13812 plug. I inserted the pins in to the plugs as per the EBA without any problem.

Next I lifted up the centre console trim and replaced the controller which is held in by 4 torx screws. The iDrive knob and surround fits straight on to the new controller

I then ran the new professional navigation LDVS cable down the dash as per the EBA and tied back the old one which is clipped in and can’t be removed easily. Take note that the purple end goes to the screen.

Lastly I then fitted everything back up for the next step of coding it to the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 12:13 AM   #4
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep

Coding

When I turned the ignition on I thought at first it showed everything in German text but then when I turned it on again everything was in English which was a good sign, so I knew I hadn’t bought dud hardware!

I originally went to code it 8 months ago but didn’t have the FSC code so I put the business unit back in. BMW want an astronomical price for it and after 6 + months of trying to source it elsewhere I couldn’t so this weekend I just refitted the whole thing and coded it without the FSC voice activation code.

I connected my power supply which gives a constant 14.6V and connected my OPS head.

In the SSS I went to Load SW (software) and then the system scanned the car and created a measures plan based on the module fitted

The system asked me if I had replaced any modules, normally for retrofits it says to click on “No” but I clicked on “YES”.
The SSS then brought the modules up to date and it asked me to turn the ignition off and restart a new session. I did this and then went straight to retrofits but this time I said “NO” to have the modules been changed.

The system then based on the measures plan highlighted the modules that needed to be coded to bring them up to date with the car’s integration level.

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 12:14 AM   #5
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep

I then clicked on retrofits

And retrofits again

I next selected Pro nav from the list of potential retrofits

Click on Added

A confirmation screen to which I clicked on “CONTINUE”

I said that the battery had been changed, it really is the only option you can select otherwise it stops the coding.

Select “Yes”

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 12:15 AM   #6
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep

The system then starts to interrogate the VO

A Measures plan was created

The system then proposed a measures plan

The system proposed to import the FSC code as part of the coding retrofit which I didn’t have

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 12:16 AM   #7
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep

The SSS couldn’t find the FSC code so I continued on without it.

Now the measures plan was about to be carried out

During this period the screen and radio turned on and off multiples times and what appeared to be fault lines appeared in the LCD display, but it was all part of the coding process.

And the long coding wait begins

At the end of the long wait each of the subsequent modules were recoded for pro nav. This part moved fairly quickly in spots and I missed some of the screen shots, but they were all listed above anyway.

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 12:16 AM   #8
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep

I then got this prompt, I did the initialisation after everything had finished.

Last edited by NBTBRV8; 02-13-2011 at 04:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 12:17 AM   #9
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep

I then followed this prompt and disconnected the MOST connector but left the OPS connected to the diagnostic connector

The SSS is now writing the new VO

The final report, as you can see without the FSC code the voice activation failed

All the modules coded fine

Last edited by NBTBRV8; 02-13-2011 at 03:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 12:19 AM   #10
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep

And now I have professional navigation

As I didn’t have the FSC code I lost all voice input, so when I press the talking head button nothing happens. What’s happened is that the basic voice recognition function that was coded to business navigation has been coded out because the basic system is a part of the ULF control unit, this system was supposed to be used with the cars with a professional radio CD head or business nav SA606 unit rather than a CCC pro nav SA609 that I have just retrofitted. Cars with CCC pro nav I think are only available with option 620 full voice recognition as the voice recognition is processed and native in the CCC control unit where as the SA606 business nav uses the ULF control unit. So until I get the code and activate voice control I will have to live without it.

I haven’t been working on this full time obviously and was looking at selling my package there for a while but I am glad I didn’t. A BIG thank you to PW a master tech who has helped me a lot via email with this and other retrofits I have carried out. So that is how you retrofit a CCC professional nav.

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 03:11 AM   #11
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Wow, great information. Lots of detail. Good work!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 12:37 AM   #12
pp.jordan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport Coupe

nice work! where did you get the SSS software?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 03:54 AM   #13
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pp.jordan View Post
nice work! where did you get the SSS software?
I would recommend this guy:

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/atechpro...id=p4340.l2562
Appreciate 0