BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Stalling After Stage 2 BM3?? (Datalogs Included)

10-31-2022, 01:39 AM   #1
sharkf90
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

Stalling After Stage 2 BM3?? (Datalogs Included)

Hey everyone,

Recently I tuned my 2020 F90 to stage 2 using BM3. Prior to tuning I had downpipes installed along with step colder plugs to support the tune.

The issue/stalling occurs when I'm in third gear higher RPM. If I linger too long in one of the gears or if I launch it a certain way it will stall on me without any error message on the screen and I just have to hope for the best. Thankfully this has never happened at higher speeds or on the highway.

I have been able to datalog one of these stalls after about 30 mins of highway driving:

1st log is a launch from a complete deadstop:
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=6358...729b9ba1d4d3c8

2nd log is from a rolling pull where you can see the car stalls out at top of third gear:
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=6358...0b43fb5fff6e34

I made sure to log my fuel pump psi while doing these runs and the fuel pump does not seem to be the issue here.

Has anyone else experienced this issue with BM3 stage 2? Would I need to pair the stage 2 with a tcu tune as well to possibly fix this issue?

Protuningfreakz has been unresponsive to assist me after sending the datalogs which is why I'm asking here.

Any help or advice is appreciated!!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2022, 08:06 AM   #2
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Any codes show up with a high level scan tool? Did you do any customization prior to flashing? I have no trouble with BM3 Stage 2 OTS 93 on my 2018. I have read about people having to unlock ECU on their 2020 or newer but I don’t know the exact cutoff date in 2020. I think one person got the engine ECU to flash but not the trans ECU (the BM3 tune like any other flash tune modifies both since they work closely together — this modification is different from something like an XHP flash tune).
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2022, 09:57 AM   #3
sharkf90
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Any codes show up with a high level scan tool? Did you do any customization prior to flashing? I have no trouble with BM3 Stage 2 OTS 93 on my 2018. I have read about people having to unlock ECU on their 2020 or newer but I don’t know the exact cutoff date in 2020. I think one person got the engine ECU to flash but not the trans ECU (the BM3 tune like any other flash tune modifies both since they work closely together — this modification is different from something like an XHP flash tune).
I only have access to BM3’s DCT scanner and did not pick up anything. I did have to get a bench unlock to be able to tune my car. Would an XHP flash tune bypass the BM3s inability to tune the transmission? if not what do you mean that it’s different?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2022, 11:39 AM   #4
EPTXM5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Sharkf90. I sent u a pm on your spark plugs
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2022, 04:03 PM   #5
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkf90 View Post
Would an XHP flash tune bypass the BM3s inability to tune the transmission? if not what do you mean that it’s different?
I don’t know but XHP is different than what comes with an engine tune although an engine tune flashed both the engine and trans ECUs.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2023, 08:47 AM   #6
IlyaUA
Registered
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkf90 View Post
Hey everyone,

Recently I tuned my 2020 F90 to stage 2 using BM3. Prior to tuning I had downpipes installed along with step colder plugs to support the tune.

The issue/stalling occurs when I'm in third gear higher RPM. If I linger too long in one of the gears or if I launch it a certain way it will stall on me without any error message on the screen and I just have to hope for the best. Thankfully this has never happened at higher speeds or on the highway.

I have been able to datalog one of these stalls after about 30 mins of highway driving:

1st log is a launch from a complete deadstop:
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=6358...729b9ba1d4d3c8

2nd log is from a rolling pull where you can see the car stalls out at top of third gear:
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=6358...0b43fb5fff6e34

I made sure to log my fuel pump psi while doing these runs and the fuel pump does not seem to be the issue here.

Has anyone else experienced this issue with BM3 stage 2? Would I need to pair the stage 2 with a tcu tune as well to possibly fix this issue?

Protuningfreakz has been unresponsive to assist me after sending the datalogs which is why I'm asking here.

Any help or advice is appreciated!!

I don't know if you have addressed the issue already, but judging from these datalogs your car is overboosting and closing throttle and it has very high overboost. BM3 software is known to run on small overboost with small throttle closures, but here high turbo pressure could be the case.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 08:58 AM   #7
F90king
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Hello sharkf90 were you able to find the solution to this problem. I am currently having the same issue on my M5. Would really appreciate any help.
Appreciate 0