BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Asking a stupid question...

11-04-2021, 02:47 PM   #1
omgmike
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M5C

Asking a stupid question...

I keep seeing pics of M5s with either "stealth" or "frozen" paint jobs. When I ordered my M5C at the beginning of October, neither of those were presented as an available option.

1) What's the difference between stealth/frozen, or is it just semantics?

2) Is this a special "off menu" option you can request?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 03:26 PM   #2
shellbmb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgmike View Post
I keep seeing pics of M5s with either "stealth" or "frozen" paint jobs. When I ordered my M5C at the beginning of October, neither of those were presented as an available option.

Stealth/frozen usually is referring to a matte paint job which can be accomplished either from the factory or via an aftermarket wrap.

When I ordered mine in July, Frozen Bluestone was an option without going individual. If you go individual and pay the extra 5k, then I think you can order just about any paint you want gloss or matte. But right now it's adding months to the delivery which is already delayed.

There are plenty of threads on individual colors and even a brochure floating around of the known available colors.
Appreciate 1
omgmike358.00
      11-04-2021, 03:31 PM   #3
omgmike
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbmb View Post
Stealth/frozen usually is referring to a matte paint job which can be accomplished either from the factory or via an aftermarket wrap.

When I ordered mine in July, Frozen Bluestone was an option without going individual. If you go individual and pay the extra 5k, then I think you can order just about any paint you want gloss or matte. But right now it's adding months to the delivery which is already delayed.

There are plenty of threads on individual colors and even a brochure floating around of the known available colors.
Thanks for the quick response. My CA was extremely new, so I'm guessing he didn't know anymore about the Individual paint options than I did.

How long did they tell you yours was going to take? Placed my order on 10/8 and was told "approximately April" for delivery. I went to Hendrick down south.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 04:07 PM   #4
Asaym87
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 competition

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response. My CA was extremely new, so I'm guessing he didn't know anymore about the Individual paint options than I did.

How long did they tell you yours was going to take? Placed my order on 10/8 and was told "approximately April" for delivery. I went to Hendrick down south.

I ordered frozen bluestone metallic- my CA told me it could take an extra 2-4 weeks to build because of the paint which seems pretty accurate. It's not considered an 'individual color' though in the sense where it's truly custom. From what I understand, frozen bluestone metallic was the only frozen color available without making it an 'individual' color.
Appreciate 1
omgmike358.00
      11-04-2021, 04:31 PM   #5
RAUDERRIPPER
Captain
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:

'Frozen' refers to BMWs term for matte, which is a 5,000$ option

'Stealth' refers to the XPEL Paint Protection Film (PPF) that has a satin finish to protect the paint.
      11-04-2021, 05:54 PM   #6
omgmike
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAUDERRIPPER View Post
'Frozen' refers to BMWs term for matte, which is a 5,000$ option

'Stealth' refers to the XPEL Paint Protection Film (PPF) that has a satin finish to protect the paint.
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 06:09 PM   #7
BlueString
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i, 2021 F90 M5

Quote:

1) It's just a matte finish.

2) Here's the BMW individual visualizer. https://visualizer.bmw-individual.co...=en&dc=1-1#top

You really need to be in touch with a dealer that knows how to fill out the proper paper work and request for individual colors. Most dealerships don't want to deal with the hassle or not experienced in submitting additional paperwork for this request. Basically, your car will need to be pulled off the assembly line to be hand painted per the requested/selected individual color at the main Dingolfing plant while going into assembly. Only the Ms, 5, 7 and 8 series manufactured at the main Dingolfing plant are available for individual color since only this plant offers this setup. Hence, the additional delay with any car tagged with "individual" color. Also note that any individual color will delete lane assist feature since the hand painted panels are thicker in paint so blocks interferes with the signal. You can Google that to read more on that deletion. I believe the M5 has 2 priority individual colors (these are not full-on individual colors) Aventurine Red and Frozen Bluestone which should be on the standard ordering guide.

Last edited by BlueString; 11-04-2021 at 06:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
omgmike358.00