BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Buying Used High Mileage M5??

10-31-2021, 01:35 PM   #1
VinnyS
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Buying Used High Mileage M5??

Hey Everyone, still in the market for a used F90 M5. These cars are selling fast. One just came up without any details (nothing from the BMW website with no VIN attached yet) but the dealer did write the mileage which was 46K miles for a 2019.

What are all your thoughts on buying a high mileage M5? I’ve purchased a high mileage E90 328i in the past and got a great deal. I usually keep my Bavarian sweethearts for a long time. I’m planning on keep this one for a long time.

Let know what your thoughts are on this particular model.

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 01:43 PM   #2
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

The obvious answers not provided are price and history which you seem to not know. I am not aware of any systemic issues with the F90. I would be more concerned with the history of each particular car. How was it maintained, any prior issues, has the car been modified in any way, etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 03:46 PM   #3
VinnyS
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Totally hear you there.

I sent an email to the dealer. We’ll see if there’s any history of accidents, mods, history of maintenance including type of driving.

My high mileage E90 I had was a highway salesmen, so wasn’t always on the brakes and sure enough, it lasted me a long time.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 06:07 PM   #4
Damzz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition MBB

Not really sure you can compare high mileage 328i to M5. For one maintenance and repair cost of the first is much less inexpensive to the second; even if considering both were thoroughly abused. And as previously mentioned, you'd need the history of the car. At ~15k mi/yr for the M5, it was driven a lot and as it should, it's phenomenal car. Personally, I wouldn't consider a mileage that high.
Appreciate 1
bcparker2103.50
      10-31-2021, 07:08 PM   #5
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

If I were the OP I would only purchase a high mileage F90 from someone on this board where I could see all the records on the car and have an owner to meet and speak with. To go to a dealer lot and purchase a mystery M5 would not make me feel good about my purchase.
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 08:01 PM   #6
arsenim5
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyS View Post
Hey Everyone, still in the market for a used F90 M5. These cars are selling fast. One just came up without any details (nothing from the BMW website with no VIN attached yet) but the dealer did write the mileage which was 46K miles for a 2019.

What are all your thoughts on buying a high mileage M5? I’ve purchased a high mileage E90 328i in the past and got a great deal. I usually keep my Bavarian sweethearts for a long time. I’m planning on keep this one for a long time.

Let know what your thoughts are on this particular model.

Thanks all!
Got my m5 2019 back in august, found a guy in South Carolina who was ready to sell it because he was pre ordering 2022 m5comp. Flew there and picked up the car: 35 k miles no issues , no damage and also bunch of warranties were still on it as extended one and wheel and tire protection, the only issue I had is bunch of bunch of rock chips on front bumper, hood and windshield. That's basically it.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 09:45 PM   #7
Rup91
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5/ 2024 X7 40i

Just got my 2018 M5 2 weeks ago with 49,853 miles. Bought it sight unseen (yeah I know) but here is why I did it.

1.) no reported accidents to Carfax or Autocheck

2.) previous owner performed all maintenance at BMW dealership, even after comp maintenance. Spark plugs, brakes, tires, everything was in accordance to BMW maintenance booklet. I'm sure they pushed the car a few times given how many times the tires were replaced but it didn't scare me from it. Oil was changed at a much sooner interval as well.

3.) I requested pics and live video to see vehicle myself. They even lifted the vehicle and removed the shields to view into the tranny and engine for oil leaks.

4.) I work at a dealership so I made sure I was able to buy a platinum coverage warranty for the M5. I probably wouldn't of done it if there was no coverage available for it.

5.) confirmed that the vehicle has no prior tuner or at least a flagged VIN by BMW

High milage doesn't scare me, poorly maintenanced vehicles do.

Ymmv, I got lucky. Car was transported over 1500 miles. All I encountered was a ton of dust (open carrier transport) but an extra soapy wash took care of it. Risky? Very. Worth it? Hell yeah.
Appreciate 1
Jamesmick131.00
      11-01-2021, 10:11 PM   #8
Camarejh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rup91 View Post
Just got my 2018 M5 2 weeks ago with 49,853 miles. Bought it sight unseen (yeah I know) but here is why I did it.

1.) no reported accidents to Carfax or Autocheck

2.) previous owner performed all maintenance at BMW dealership, even after comp maintenance. Spark plugs, brakes, tires, everything was in accordance to BMW maintenance booklet. I'm sure they pushed the car a few times given how many times the tires were replaced but it didn't scare me from it. Oil was changed at a much sooner interval as well.

3.) I requested pics and live video to see vehicle myself. They even lifted the vehicle and removed the shields to view into the tranny and engine for oil leaks.

4.) I work at a dealership so I made sure I was able to buy a platinum coverage warranty for the M5. I probably wouldn't of done it if there was no coverage available for it.

5.) confirmed that the vehicle has no prior tuner or at least a flagged VIN by BMW

High milage doesn't scare me, poorly maintenanced vehicles do.

Ymmv, I got lucky. Car was transported over 1500 miles. All I encountered was a ton of dust (open carrier transport) but an extra soapy wash took care of it. Risky? Very. Worth it? Hell yeah.
A month ago i got a CPO 2018 M5 with 49k miles. Car is nearly prestine and i have a warranty til july of 2023. Mileage also doesnt scare me as the carfax maintenance was on point and the car was also 10-15 grand less than M5s with 20-30,000 miles. Im just a hard working navy dude so i had to do what i had to in order to get one. I had a 2015 M3 that was full bolt on and i put 70,000 spirited miles on it and through its entire life with me i only had the intercooler pump go out on me. I kept up on the maintenance and she did me proud. The guy i sold it to almost a year ago before i deployed has 80+ thousand miles on it with no issues. YMMV but i am extremely happy with my decision and i also had no choice because its all i could afford haha
Appreciate 1
Jamesmick131.00