BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    M5 Comp vs M5 CS engine power difference?

10-28-2021, 10:35 AM   #1
AngryInch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Comp

M5 Comp vs M5 CS engine power difference?

What is the difference between engines to obtain the extra HP in the CS? Did they simply increase boost higher in the rpm range or is there other tuning, or physical changes?

Facts pls
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 10:58 AM   #2
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
My guess is that it is just a tune.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 11:22 AM   #3
RAUDERRIPPER
Captain
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Tune.

Can't wait to tune mine even more when it's here 😂.
      10-28-2021, 12:02 PM   #4
AngryInch
Lieutenant
Rep

Ya they should rip due to weighing less.. if someone went full out, they would hold m5 record for sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 02:56 PM   #5
irablumberg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

I think BMW raised the red-line on the CS by a few hundred RPM which yields the additional HP (same torque at higher RPM = more HP). I believe this is the same trick BMW used to raise the HP on the Comp versus the base M5.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 04:13 PM   #6
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Torque peak is at lower rpm, so can’t they just program the wastegates to allow more boost only at high rpm? Even with a 7000 rpm limit, you can program boost to leave torque peak the same yet have more peak power. Also, does peak power occur at peak rpm? Usually it does not but I have not studied the power curve recently.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 04:52 PM   #7
AngryInch
Lieutenant
Rep

There is definitely more to it than raised redline… comp cars make more boost than regular m5 from what I’ve seen in jb4 logs…
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2021, 05:21 PM   #8
bimmerbeast7
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M5C - '04 m3 manual coupe

tuned different yes, but I also read that the turbine wheel in the turbos are different. sharper angle. spools faster.
so there's that..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 05:23 PM   #9
bimmerbeast7
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryInch View Post
There is definitely more to it than raised redline… comp cars make more boost than regular m5 from what I’ve seen in jb4 logs…
Redline is controlled through tune , as well as boost, when the boost comes, how much. all that stuff is tunable through the DME/ECU.. but physical changes ...

like I said the turbine wheels are different .. that i know
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 05:24 PM   #10
bimmerbeast7
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What is the difference between engines to obtain the extra HP in the CS? Did they simply increase boost higher in the rpm range or is there other tuning, or physical changes?

Facts pls
The turbine wheels on the turbos are different to allow faster spooling I do know that
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 05:43 PM   #11
Chicane_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 CS + other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbeast7 View Post
Quote:

Facts pls
The turbine wheels on the turbos are different to allow faster spooling I do know that
The CS turbine wheel is different than the Comp's? I didn't know that. Is this mentioned in an article or technical briefing? Link?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 06:10 PM   #12
AngryInch
Lieutenant
Rep

I doubt they’re different… likely just a bit of tuning…
Appreciate 1
JOHNBMWM51989.00
      10-28-2021, 08:29 PM   #13
MSchfiftyFive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '23 M5 Comp

Quote:
That hasn't been documented anywhere, or mentioned in a -single- review. BMW's press release would play this up as "revised turbochargers" and it would be a major supply chain change for a low volume seller that's not anywhere near as cost effective as just barely adjusting tuning to ramp up boost (literally) the claimed 200RPM faster. All of the 1/4 testing so far shows the CS to be near identical to the Comp in acceleration, weight reduction alone accounts for the differences. Color me wildly skeptical on that claim without any documentation.
      10-28-2021, 09:44 PM   #14
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
I doubt they’re different… likely just a bit of tuning…
I agree.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 09:46 PM   #15
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Agreed - changing a part for a 10 hp gain that can be done via a simple (reliable) tune bump would make 0 sense.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 03:29 AM   #16
bimmerbeast7
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchfiftyFive View Post
That hasn't been documented anywhere, or mentioned in a -single- review. BMW's press release would play this up as "revised turbochargers" and it would be a major supply chain change for a low volume seller that's not anywhere near as cost effective as just barely adjusting tuning to ramp up boost (literally) the claimed 200RPM faster. All of the 1/4 testing so far shows the CS to be near identical to the Comp in acceleration, weight reduction alone accounts for the differences. Color me wildly skeptical on that claim without any documentation.
i'm not going to completely discount that I may have dreamt it, but I remember reading it and being jealous, because I've been following the CS since February/March and I too was like meh, it's just carbon fiber and a tune and then I read that and I was like fuuuuu.. dont doubt BMW.. That is an impactful but small simple easy change.

when they planned to make it they just put in an order for that kind of turbine on the turbos from garrett.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 03:41 AM   #17
bimmerbeast7
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
Agreed - changing a part for a 10 hp gain that can be done via a simple (reliable) tune bump would make 0 sense.
You're focusing too much on the max horsepower number, which has been deemed really irrelevant since its only 10 hp more than my '21 M5c with CCB's, yet its so much more 'brilliant' or 'amazing'

....it's all about the other factors .. like it has been said before ..the whole feeling of the car .. which I'm sure they went just a little further than strictly suspension like we know , or just stripped the sound deadening as well
look at how they engraved the carbon bonnet. and all of it.

i love it. but i could never mod that special edition ,
i'm sure it is amazing and more fun to look at but I doubt it's ever going to make your hair stand up like I've made mine do for me(unless of course u do my mods) like I said I wouldn't mod the cs and I doubt many people will .. I mean for starters I don't know how i'd keep my gold bronze exhaust tips if I change the exhaust.

It sounds good in the vids but it doesn't do it justice and I still need to get better footage, like from outside.

Last edited by bimmerbeast7; 10-29-2021 at 03:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 03:48 AM   #18
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Quote:
You're focusing too much on the max horsepower number, which has been deemed really irrelevant since its only 10 hp more than my '21 M5c with CCB's, yet its so much more 'brilliant' or 'amazing' it's all about the other factors .. like it has been said before ..the whole feeling of the car .. which I'm sure they went just a little further than strictly suspension like we know , or just stripped the sound deadening as well

i'm sure it is amazing and more fun to look at but I doubt it's ever going to make your hair stand up like I've made mine do for me(unless of course u do my mods) like I said I wouldn't do it and I doubt many people will ..

It sounds good in the vids but it doesn't do it justice and I still need to get better footage, like from outside.

Im quite jealous of you Guys over there, with no OPFs, and still with pops and bangs. I have an LCI, which is just so quiet, no pops and bangs, and an exhaust vibration, that seems unfixable by BMW, im pretty fed up with it.
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2021, 03:53 AM   #19
bimmerbeast7
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Im quite jealous of you Guys over there, with no OPFs, and still with pops and bangs. I have an LCI, which is just so quiet, no pops and bangs, and an exhaust vibration, that seems unfixable by BMW, im pretty fed up with it.
tell me more about OPF.. its got a module that plugs in? Surely there's a bypass for that if you want to do a full exhaust right?

And I don't have pops and bangs I have fucking gunshots and mini grenades

it's nasty .. great for when somebody's riding my ass which happens often. or press the button and be silent
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 06:33 AM   #20
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Quote:
tell me more about OPF.. its got a module that plugs in? Surely there's a bypass for that if you want to do a full exhaust right?

it's nasty .. great for when somebody's riding my ass which happens often. or press the button and be silent
Yes, there is now a device, that can be plugged in, to bypass the readings for the OPF, fooling the car into thinking they are still in place. But thats not our main problem. We have the pops and bangs actively mapped out now, so it is pretty much silent. The car still sounds good, going through the rev range on WOT, but it still lacks the
character, of a few bangs etc. This is the device, one of a few on the market atm.
https://www.leib-engineering.de/en/l...er-bmw-x3m-f97
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 07:18 AM   #21
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Quote:
You're focusing too much on the max horsepower number, which has been deemed really irrelevant since its only 10 hp more than my '21 M5c with CCB's, yet its so much more 'brilliant' or 'amazing'

....it's all about the other factors .. like it has been said before ..the whole feeling of the car .. which I'm sure they went just a little further than strictly suspension like we know , or just stripped the sound deadening as well

i'm sure it is amazing and more fun to look at but I doubt it's ever going to make your hair stand up like I've made mine do for me(unless of course u do my mods) like I said I wouldn't mod the cs and I doubt many people will .. I mean for starters I don't know how i'd keep my gold bronze exhaust tips if I change the exhaust.

I was just referring to the power increase, not overall car.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 08:27 AM   #22
M5C_Uber_Alles
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 comp

Quote:

This pisses me off so much. My straight piped V8 Tundra sounds like an old school Shelby while my M5 sounds like a tuned Civic. I just want the damn thing to sound like it should without having to do a crazy amount of tuning, and since they’ve been mapped out, it still would only do so much.
Appreciate 1
Slugsy01155.50