BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Bowers and Wilkins no longer an option on BMWUsa configurator?

10-12-2021, 08:40 PM   #45
bohoya32
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by alevy View Post
Ordered by the dealer. It's a MY22 Comp.
Dealer told me not offered right now but they expect it to be available in Q1. My build won't be ready until March so I'm hoping to add it.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 12:59 PM   #46
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

I could live without the Bowers & Wilkens stereo, but I must have the heads-up display. Is it true that some 2022 M5's won't have it?
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 01:35 PM   #47
ThomasM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greer View Post
I could live without the Bowers & Wilkens stereo, but I must have the heads-up display. Is it true that some 2022 M5's won't have it?
Apparently this wasn't correct, all M cars will still be able to get the heads up display.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 08:18 PM   #48
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by alevy View Post
Ordered by the dealer. It's a MY22 Comp.
The dealer may have ordered the B&W, but that doesn't mean when it arrives, it will have it.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 02:42 PM   #49
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasM4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greer View Post
Apparently this wasn't correct, all M cars will still be able to get the heads up display.
Was mentioned in here about some cars not being able to get HUD, but this is a random quote from a random CA, so who knows how accurate it is, or what cars it might pertain to, even if accurate…I can't imagine that would be the case.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=28139310

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 05:04 PM   #50
italiabrain
Private
Rep
Drives: 19 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantastic 5 View Post
Honestly, the Bowers & Wilkins system is amazing IF calibrated right. Get it configured the right way and you will be impressed.
I’ve seen this sentiment several places on the forum, but I can’t replicate it. Not directed specifically at you, but this always seems to be followed by some vague reference to a strategy for calibrating or a “this worked in my x5/7, close enough” as if the giant internal volume makes no difference.

My experience has been that the mid/high clarity is good. The bass kinda sucks, and the overall setup is above average for a factory car system, but far from stellar.

If there are magic settings please share by line item!

Again, not directed at you personally — but this comes across as “if you don’t like it you’re wrong and it’s your fault” when never followed by the settings.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 06:27 PM   #51
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiabrain View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantastic 5 View Post
Honestly, the Bowers & Wilkins system is amazing IF calibrated right. Get it configured the right way and you will be impressed.
I’ve seen this sentiment several places on the forum, but I can’t replicate it. Not directed specifically at you, but this always seems to be followed by some vague reference to a strategy for calibrating or a “this worked in my x5/7, close enough” as if the giant internal volume makes no difference.

My experience has been that the mid/high clarity is good. The bass kinda sucks, and the overall setup is above average for a factory car system, but far from stellar.

Again, not directed at you personally — but this comes across as “if you don’t like it you’re wrong and it’s your fault” when never followed by the settings.
I ended up using this and have been mostly happy with it. I agree it's nothing *amazing*, but on a lease, the B&W is a no-brainer option imho, if available of course.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26895486

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 1
Jamesmick131.00
      10-24-2021, 11:35 PM   #52
supershaft
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 992 GT3, Cayenne Turbo

Quote:

I tried the settings and still B&W sucks with the bass. The last good system is the B&O in the F10 M5 I had now that you could get the bass to rattle your core without sounding like a muddy mess.

Maybe the next M5 they will get it right
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 03:28 AM   #53
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
I tried the settings and still B&W sucks with the bass. The last good system is the B&O in the F10 M5 I had now that you could get the bass to rattle your core without sounding like a muddy mess.

Maybe the next M5 they will get it right
Could you share your settings ?

I have a lot of bass with the B&W sound system.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 05:32 AM   #54
M5C_Uber_Alles
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can-am View Post
Could you share your settings ?

I have a lot of bass with the B&W sound system.
Im not an audiophile by any means, but I’ve had aftermarket sound systems in all my cars except the M5. I seem to have plenty of bass, but a lot of other stuff is lacking. Granted I haven’t done any sort of calibration at all since I usually drive with the music off.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 04:50 PM   #55
Hammer110!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 F90M5C, 22 X7M50i

Quote:

Can I ask what source material you’re using? We’ve a big discussion on X7 board and seem consensus is that while internal DAC of B&W won’t allow 1495kps that Tidal Master tracks stream in, as well as a 48Khz limitation for Apple Car Play (CD quality) that the use of high quality source material (streamed or storage device) that the system sounds very good. The H&K in my F10 M5 doesn’t even come close to the B&W system in wife’s new 2022 M50i X7 using same source material and tuned EQ settings. I was very satisfied with the 3400.00 option charge and results with EQ and DSP settings as well as high quality source material. This of course all has to take into consideration that this is a car stereo and not an audiophile home set up w exoctic DAC’s, amps and speakers.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 01:18 AM   #56
neoprufrok
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer110! View Post
Can I ask what source material you’re using? We’ve a big discussion on X7 board and seem consensus is that while internal DAC of B&W won’t allow 1495kps that Tidal Master tracks stream in, as well as a 48Khz limitation for Apple Car Play (CD quality) that the use of high quality source material (streamed or storage device) that the system sounds very good. The H&K in my F10 M5 doesn’t even come close to the B&W system in wife’s new 2022 M50i X7 using same source material and tuned EQ settings. I was very satisfied with the 3400.00 option charge and results with EQ and DSP settings as well as high quality source material. This of course all has to take into consideration that this is a car stereo and not an audiophile home set up w exoctic DAC’s, amps and speakers.
As I'm waiting to pick up my car in a few days... i'm curious what is the best source for the B&W?
2018 Porsche Graphite Blue Metallic GT3 Touring Manthey Racing and Akrapovic
2018 BMW Yas Marina Blue M4 Competition Convertible
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 07:19 AM   #57
Hammer110!
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoprufrok View Post
As I'm waiting to pick up my car in a few days... i'm curious what is the best source for the B&W?
There are several out there depending on your preferences. Tracks recorded in AAC or FLAK to a drive, streaming services like Tidal, Deezer etc that offer high bit rate streaming. Sirius XM and standard Pandora, Spotify etc are all low bit rate.
Personally I like Tidal. Over 70MM tracks in their library, ability to download so you can listen in off line mode etc. Best Buy has a program that will allow you to get a 12 mos subscription of their HiFi service (high bit rate) for 120.00. 10.00/mo is pretty reasonable.

Check out the X7 forum on this same platform and look for a thread called Bowers and Wilkins debate. Lots of good info
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2021, 08:18 AM   #58
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Audi R8, 2023 Audi S8

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoprufrok View Post
Quote:
Apple Lossless is supported up to 24/48 resolution via the Music app.

I have not attempted anything higher than that yet. I suppose you could run a different music app like Onkyo which plays DSD or 24/192 files, but I doubt the MOST network can process anything above 16/44.1 so anything that gets fed to it will be dithered and resampled to a rate it can use.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 01:26 PM   #59
Hammer110!
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterFUSE View Post
Apple Lossless is supported up to 24/48 resolution via the Music app.

I have not attempted anything higher than that yet. I suppose you could run a different music app like Onkyo which plays DSD or 24/192 files, but I doubt the MOST network can process anything above 16/44.1 so anything that gets fed to it will be dithered and resampled to a rate it can use.
Seems to be much consensus on the other board that the DAC is the limiting factor here. Wifi can easily handle the bit rate transmission. Also looks like the Car Play interface is limited to 48 KHz which is CD quality.

Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 01:48 PM   #60
neoprufrok
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp

Quote:
There are several out there depending on your preferences. Tracks recorded in AAC or FLAK to a drive, streaming services like Tidal, Deezer etc that offer high bit rate streaming. Sirius XM and standard Pandora, Spotify etc are all low bit rate.
Personally I like Tidal. Over 70MM tracks in their library, ability to download so you can listen in off line mode etc. Best Buy has a program that will allow you to get a 12 mos subscription of their HiFi service (high bit rate) for 120.00. 10.00/mo is pretty reasonable.

Check out the X7 forum on this same platform and look for a thread called Bowers and Wilkins debate. Lots of good info
Thanks - I am a subscriber for tidal too as I use a McIntosh pre/pro at home and McIntosh portable DAC and tidal works well with it. Will look into it thanks!
2018 Porsche Graphite Blue Metallic GT3 Touring Manthey Racing and Akrapovic
2018 BMW Yas Marina Blue M4 Competition Convertible
Appreciate 0