BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Limit on LC?

02-11-2021, 11:51 AM   #67
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Thanks for posting that. It's the first time I've seen written confirmation (assuming that excerpt wasn't just somebody's copy-and-pasted opinion hence carrying as much credibility as a wiki).
That was posted nearly 6 years ago, for an X1, have BMW, technology, and times not changed since then ?.
Wouldn't know. Didn't know then and only learned it was public knowledge yesterday.
Appreciate 1
Simon H876.00
      02-11-2021, 11:53 AM   #68
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOne_322 View Post
I've never formally launched my M5...
And you are in the majority.

I launch often—usually from traffic lights against minivans driven by parents whose expression at the subsequent light clearly conveys their admiration and appreciation for my efforts.
Appreciate 8
rccarps2340.50
Neptune71432.50
The_Werm212.00
lsal137.50
BSdoc44.50
F30Andy1774.00
      02-11-2021, 12:08 PM   #69
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpdriver17 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
OP has an M5 with the HP75. They replaced it with the 76 which has stronger solenoids to assure trouble free 1st to 2nd shifts under full load. The 75 is not able to cope with the S63 launches.
But limeypride has the 76 in his M8 and said it still has a limiter.

How is it legal to sell a car that limits its performance after a while? They shouldn't be allowed to advertise/sell the car one way, then let it detune itself to prevent warranty issues when you use it.
unfortunately it's legal. engines and cars in general degrade with time. that's why cars depreciation comes from. while it's usually small, a 500 hp engine in 1980 might only make 490 in 2000 and 480 hp I 2020. it's not illegal and you can't sue them.

also launch control isn't really advertisements and its not rising to the level high enough to be "false advertisement"
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 12:14 PM   #70
Mcc420
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX

Garage List
2023 g80x  [0.00]
  [0.00]
I talked to XHP and that seems like the only solution. I'll write more of my response later. I'm at work right now.
Attached Images

F90 Comp, Hcp custom e40 meth, 9.76@143, 174ml/h 1/2ml 60-130 5.53

F10 M5, HCP Tune ,BM3, 10:8@137, 166.05 1/2ml.
Ig @mcc420
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 12:36 PM   #71
euro*
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcc420 View Post
I talked to XHP and that seems like the only solution. I'll write more of my response later. I'm at work right now.
HOLYYYYYY, THIS IS REALLY BOTHERING ME, as an owner of this car
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 01:44 PM   #72
gpdriver17
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
unfortunately it's legal. engines and cars in general degrade with time. that's why cars depreciation comes from. while it's usually small, a 500 hp engine in 1980 might only make 490 in 2000 and 480 hp I 2020. it's not illegal and you can't sue them.

also launch control isn't really advertisements and its not rising to the level high enough to be "false advertisement"
That's not the same at all. Obviously cars will mechanically degrade over time. But self degradation is different. Apple got sued and lost a few years ago when they were slowing down the cpu of some iphones to save the battery. This is the exact same fing thing!
2023 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2021, 01:46 PM   #73
Quinn A
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Launchgate here we come.
2022 Cayenne Turbo coupe Catless/ Tune
2022 Huracan STO
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2021, 02:00 PM   #74
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That's not the same at all. Obviously cars will mechanically degrade over time. But self degradation is different. Apple got sued and lost a few years ago when they were slowing down the cpu of some iphones to save the battery. This is the exact same fing thing!
Apple lost because the took their product and later reduced capacity with new software to help sell their new phones.

It's completely different than a car sold with a restricted built in and never modified by BMW. Not similar at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 02:01 PM   #75
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn A View Post
Launchgate here we come.
Lol; good luck! Seriously I hope you're successful, but I wouldn't hold your breath!

Launch counters isn't the same of VW emissions scandal or Apple phones. It's not even close.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 02:55 PM   #76
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Audi R8, 2023 Audi S8

Quote:
Quote:

I launch often—usually from traffic lights against minivans driven by parents whose expression at the subsequent light clearly conveys their admiration and appreciation for my efforts.
Or disbelief that, despite your attempt, you still got stuck at the same light as them. 😂😉
Appreciate 1
limeypride4425.00
      02-11-2021, 03:08 PM   #77
gpdriver17
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Apple lost because the took their product and later reduced capacity with new software to help sell their new phones.

It's completely different than a car sold with a restricted built in and never modified by BMW. Not similar at all.
So if Apple just has the existing software limit the cpu after 2 years without an update, that's totally fine?
2023 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 03:42 PM   #78
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

So if Apple just has the existing software limit the cpu after 2 years without an update, that's totally fine?
The issue in the Apple case didn't address that issue. The court ruling only stated that Apple can't release new software to limit old hardware in a specific effort to drive customers to buy the phones.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 03:43 PM   #79
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterFUSE View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Or disbelief that, despite your attempt, you still got stuck at the same light as them. 😂😉
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 06:05 PM   #80
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
FSociety
Didn't mean to say it doesn't fix it, but from what I saw on some cars the 0-60 didn't really improve but it did help in the other gears.

Quote:
He was speaking about the older M5's < 2020 MY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
Like already discussed a few times before, as from 09/19 the ZF8HP75 was replaced by the ZF8HP76 which eliminated launch control issues. The M8 got the 76 trans from the commercial launch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpGLqvgwtFM

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 06:15 PM   #81
SigForLife
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Comp

Quote:
The issue in the Apple case didn't address that issue. The court ruling only stated that Apple can't release new software to limit old hardware in a specific effort to drive customers to buy the phones.
I’ve handled enough class actions that if I can find an expert, who can testify that BMW is in fact limiting cars after 100 launches, I’ll take the case.
Appreciate 3
Mcc420475.00
bubbaboy107.50
      02-11-2021, 06:39 PM   #82
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigForLife View Post
Quote:
I’ve handled enough class actions that if I can find an expert, who can testify that BMW is in fact limiting cars after 100 launches, I’ll take the case.
Well, they apparently say so in their documentation so what exactly would the basis of your case be?

If you do, however, I'm in as a (hopefully) credible witness or whatever.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 07:04 PM   #83
SigForLife
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Comp

Quote:
Well, they apparently say so in their documentation so what exactly would the basis of your case be?

I want to see something in writing or a BMW Tech willing to tell me and testify as to the Ms, not an X1, that BMW is limiting the cars to 100 launches.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2021, 07:15 PM   #84
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigForLife View Post
Quote:

I want to see something in writing or a BMW Tech willing to tell me and testify as to the Ms, not an X1, that BMW is limiting the cars to 100 launches.
G'luck! While I've no interest in digging that up, it's reasonable to assume that the X1 text cited earlier is boilerplate text.
Appreciate 2
Mcc420475.00
      02-12-2021, 08:31 AM   #85
italiabrain
Private
Rep
Drives: 19 M5 Comp

Quote:

If that documentation isn't clearly disclosed to the customer in advance to "clarify" (narrow) their advertisements, that doesn't seem relevant that it's buried in a book somewhere. It's like EULAs when they're only realistically presented after purchase, which is why they often don't hold up.

On the Apple comparison... both Apple and BMW have a plausible claim that they didn't have ill intent. Apple's was that they were trying to prevent unpredictable failures/crashes on older phones with old batteries. BMW's is that they're trying to prevent failures of a part that's already "well used". Both may have the effect of people trading in the old product early and both were poorly disclosed if they were disclosed at all. Both were performed via arbitrary software decisions that hamper functionality that was present when the product was originally purchased.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 09:22 AM   #86
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiabrain View Post
Quote:

If that documentation isn't clearly disclosed to the customer in advance to "clarify" (narrow) their advertisements, that doesn't seem relevant that it's buried in a book somewhere. It's like EULAs when they're only realistically presented after purchase, which is why they often don't hold up.

On the Apple comparison... both Apple and BMW have a plausible claim that they didn't have ill intent. Apple's was that they were trying to prevent unpredictable failures/crashes on older phones with old batteries. BMW's is that they're trying to prevent failures of a part that's already "well used". Both may have the effect of people trading in the old product early and both were poorly disclosed if they were disclosed at all. Both were performed via arbitrary software decisions that hamper functionality that was present when the product was originally purchased.
Cool. Let us know when one of you lawyers here decides to take a run at it—I'm in.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 09:41 AM   #87
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Cool. Let us know when one of you lawyers here decides to take a run at it—I'm in.
I'm willing to help the good fight; however, based my legal training, knowledge, and experience I'm willing to bet we will lose every time. The odds of beating BMW in this type of case with the facts we have is 1 in a million. You have a better change of winning the Lottery.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 09:47 AM   #88
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm willing to help the good fight; however, based my legal training, knowledge, and experience I'm willing to bet we will lose every time. The odds of beating BMW in this type of case with the facts we have is 1 in a million. You have a better change of winning the Lottery.
That's my assumption, too, but I've no fu#king idea what I'm talking about so there's that.

Others here seem more optimistic—my take is they're focusing on some sort of reasonable disclosure requirement that, well, isn't reasonably disclosed and ultimately negatively impacts the product. :
Appreciate 2