BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Thinking of doing downpipes and tune

08-14-2023, 04:18 PM   #1
Christianct203
Registered
Rep
Drives: M5

Thinking of doing downpipes and tune

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Im thinking of doing catless downpipes and a tune. Not sure of the brand yet. I’ve been hearing mixed reviews on whether the motor is strong enough or not. Lmk what you guys think
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 04:39 PM   #2
hookson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 2015, M5 2019

Yes.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 05:30 PM   #3
jivom5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: audi a7, c7 grandsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christianct203 View Post
Im thinking of doing catless downpipes and a tune. Not sure of the brand yet. I’ve been hearing mixed reviews on whether the motor is strong enough or not. Lmk what you guys think
FWIW, not sure if your lci/pre lci but im 09/21 build femto unlocked at stage 1 e30 for over 25k miles now and haven't had a single issue besides my fuel pump going out which was a very easy fix. these motors tend to send rods to the moon after 750wtq so on an ots stage 2 you'll be fine
2021 panamera 4s
2021 M5
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2023, 07:25 AM   #4
frozenRedm5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M5, M3, X5M

Is this for bragging rights or tracking? Am I the only one satisfied with the power it puts out straight from the factory???
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 07:36 AM   #5
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I think most people are satisfied with stock power. I was not so I modified along the lines of what the OP is considering plus some more.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 08:49 AM   #6
LouK
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram TRX F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenRedm5 View Post
Is this for bragging rights or tracking? Am I the only one satisfied with the power it puts out straight from the factory???
I am happy with the stock power, feels great…. However I have been contemplating a little boost “just because” doesn’t need it by any means.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 10:02 AM   #7
jm490
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21' F90 M5c

I was very satisfied with the stock power. But seeing that a simple 10 min racechip mod gives it a good amount more oomph it was a no brainer. Downpipes tune all that other stuff isnt worth it to me simply because this is not a racecar to me. I used my GTR for that. This with the racechip is as fast as I want my luxury sports sedan to go lol
Appreciate 2
      08-15-2023, 11:01 AM   #8
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

GTR isn’t any quicker than the M5 except around a track. Most of us spend most of our time driving on the street, though, and mostly on fairly straight roads. The M5 does that more comfortably and practically than the GTR. The M5 is a great car, whether stock or modded.

Last edited by pbonsalb; 08-15-2023 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 03:43 PM   #9
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm490 View Post
I was very satisfied with the stock power. But seeing that a simple 10 min racechip mod gives it a good amount more oomph it was a no brainer. Downpipes tune all that other stuff isnt worth it to me simply because this is not a racecar to me. I used my GTR for that. This with the racechip is as fast as I want my luxury sports sedan to go lol
+1 on this. Have been using RC and otherwise stock over two DDed M5s now combined for 40K+ miles. Bang for the buck is incredible. I can definitely feel less violence in a straight line pull without it, and I’m Dragy confirmed 0.1 to 0.2 seconds shaved off 0-60 without 1 foot rollout. I’ve mentioned on the forum before that the car feels extremely boring without it. So much so that I used to remove it at home before driving to the dealership for service, but now I pull over two blocks before and remove it then so I don’t have to endure ~30 minutes without it.

I’m not chasing any more performance on the M5 than this. That’s what other toys are for, but, I can understand others wanting to squeeze even more power out of this platform.
      08-15-2023, 05:52 PM   #10
jm490
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21' F90 M5c

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
GTR isn’t any quicker than the M5 except around a track. Most of us spend most of our time driving on the street, though, and mostly on fairly straight roads. The M5 does that more comfortably and practically than the GTR. The M5 is a great car, whether stock or modded.

Yes of course stock for stock but we are talking specifically about modding here. A few bolt ons and a quick tune from Linney and my GTR was much faster than my M5 with a racechip on any road.

Now that I have a kid and no need for an extremely fast car the M5 with the racechip seems so perfectly balanced and as fast as I’d ever need in a car I’m not racing. That you are absolutely spot on about.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 09:21 AM   #11
fan51
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm490 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
+1 on this. Have been using RC and otherwise stock over two DDed M5s now combined for 40K+ miles. Bang for the buck is incredible. I can definitely feel less violence in a straight line pull without it, and I’m Dragy confirmed 0.1 to 0.2 seconds shaved off 0-60 without 1 foot rollout. I’ve mentioned on the forum before that the car feels extremely boring without it. So much so that I used to remove it at home before driving to the dealership for service, but now I pull over two blocks before and remove it then so I don’t have to endure ~30 minutes without it.

I’m not chasing any more performance on the M5 than this. That’s what other toys are for, but, I can understand others wanting to squeeze even more power out of this platform.
Tell me more about the race chip guys. What kind of power did you make? What kind of improvement over stock 1/4 mile? How was the install? Once removed, is dealership capable of seeing it was once installed? I need more info!
Appreciate 2
      08-19-2023, 06:11 PM   #12
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fan51 View Post
Tell me more about the race chip guys. What kind of power did you make? What kind of improvement over stock 1/4 mile? How was the install? Once removed, is dealership capable of seeing it was once installed? I need more info!
Beyond Dragy before and after 0-60, I didn’t create or keep any records, and I have not done 1/4 mile stock v. RC because I’m not chasing times on this car as it’s my DD, but I know a lot of owners are. Just Dragy-ed out of curiousity and it answered my question.

Anecdotally, butt dyno notices a huge difference and so do passengers with v. without it. Had a passenger that said that it didn’t feel like their face was forced backwards without the RC. As I mentioned, I won’t even drive to the dealership without when headed there for service.

Install is 5 mins after giving the car ten
minutes to clear electricity. Unplug turbo boost pressure sensor A (driver’s side IIRC), then B (passenger side IIRC). Plug A side cable into RC wiring harness, then B. Plug A side of the harness back into engine bay, then B. Set to Map 7 and forget it. Reverse the process to revert to stock before heading to the dealership.

I’ll touch on detectability as briefly as possible because this has been covered ad nauseum in other threads. Does ISTA immediately detect the car as having a tune and prompting the “possible tune detected” flag? Not for me it hasn’t, but I’ve never needed anything beyond regular service and scheduled maintenance, (with the exception of a HPFP — unrelated to RC). I’ve never seen another owner on here say otherwise either. Now, if you blow the motor somehow, and BMW rips it apart and does a deep dive? The general consensus is that it would be detectable. There are two general schools of thought as to how the RC operates with regard to sending ECU values back to the engine. Some (including the manufacturer) say that the RC controller sends non outside expected parameters values back to the engine, i.e. the boost pressure is reported back in the “normal” range. Others say the controller has no way to “lie” to the engine about the parameters, and the changed values are reported to the engine and logged into the car’s ECU; i.e., the car logs the higher boost pressure the RC forces the car to make. There’s been dozens of debates on this throughout other threads. If the former is true, detectability would be very difficult with all physical traces removed. If the latter is true, no matter what you do, BMW will find out about if they want to, but likely not simply by hooking it up to ISTA as is the case will a “full” flash tune (as opposed to a piggy back).

It’s an awesome little “mod” without doing any actual mods, so it’s great for me. I’m stock otherwise. Many owners on this forum have the RC whether it’s the only “mod” they have (like me), or whether they have involved builds. It seems that almost everyone gets something out of it. I recommend and will continue to use it as I’ve never had any issues with it whatsoever.

If you decide you’re in the market, reach out to r33_RGSport. He is a reputable forum vendor and super friendly and will help you with anything you want to know about the RC, and, you won’t have to wait for shipping from Germany.

Sorry for the threadjack, OP!