BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Introducing the 2019 BMW M5 Competition! Pricing Starts at $110,995

05-09-2018, 08:09 PM   #155
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotor_2000 View Post
Not sure what the surprise is. BMW did the same on the F10... there were rumors from Day #1 of a Competition. If a buyer really wanted the ZCP, they should have waited. There are several reasons people want the latest and greatest:

1. The attention from going to a car meet or whatever with everyone ogling the rare F90 m5 only lasts 6 months. 90% of folks can't tell the difference to a regular 5 series.
2. Actual performance of the car and suiting their preference
3. Having the newest model at any given time

People can chose to spend their $$ in any which way they want. No point in blaming BMW... they can control supply and hence the market and buying patterns. I am sure they have some MBA types analyzing all these scenarios!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljb View Post
I agree. There should be no surprise at all.

Does everyone need a reminder of the F90 M5 models on offer for MY18 in Australia;

• M5 First Edition (limited to 400 cars)

• M5 Launch Edition (limited to first model year)

Buying one of these models you'd be silly to not be expecting something else coming in the very near future. Unless they are just going to sell the M5 Competition after the MY18 cars are sold out

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4LAKA View Post
I agree. I put a deposit on my m5 last August.
I wanted to be first to get a m4 back in 2014, I had to settle for launch colours. If I waited 3-4 months I could have done individual.
I told my self never again. I got offered a launch edition model, I said no thank you, let me know when I can get a individual colour. Then we had multiple rumblings of a competition package, I said I'll wait until end of May, if nothing announced I'll just order a individual M5 and not wait for competition.

Current new M5 owners have no one to blame but themselves. Righting was on the wall. We all knew this was coming since before Geneva auto show.

No one is saying this is a surprise - at least not the regular members. Let's not argue straw men. I think most of us (myself included) concedes that it comes as no surprise. But the issue is - why should this situation even exist in the first place? Even if we knew for certain the M5 Comp was eventually coming - why shouldn't (and wouldn't) BMW roll these out simultaneously, rather than staggering them by mere months.

As stated in my last post - it makes no sense from any business perspective. Everyone including BMW and customers stands to gain from an earlier roll out. BMW gains potential additional sales of the comp pack, and gives each and every customer at least the option of spending more money if they want. BMW certainly had the time to develop the comp pack for simultaneous release with the M5. And they had every incentive to do so. It certainly wouldn't cause LOST sales. That MB (whom BMW is paralleling here) structures it this way is significant.

By all appearances, BMW simply botched getting the Comp pack ready in time (i.e. missed internal deadlines) to release simultaneously with the base M5.

Un. Forced. Error.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 1
tcw495271.00
      05-09-2018, 08:58 PM   #156
usmabmass
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 550i, 23 i4 M50, 24 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Quote:
Not sure what the surprise is. BMW did the same on the F10... there were rumors from Day #1 of a Competition. If a buyer really wanted the ZCP, they should have waited. There are several reasons people want the latest and greatest:

1. The attention from going to a car meet or whatever with everyone ogling the rare F90 m5 only lasts 6 months. 90% of folks can't tell the difference to a regular 5 series.

People can chose to spend their $$ in any which way they want. No point in blaming BMW... they can control supply and hence the market and buying patterns. I am sure they have some MBA types analyzing all these scenarios!
Quote:

Does everyone need a reminder of the F90 M5 models on offer for MY18 in Australia;

Buying one of these models you'd be silly to not be expecting something else coming in the very near future. Unless they are just going to sell the M5 Competition after the MY18 cars are sold out

Quote:
I wanted to be first to get a m4 back in 2014, I had to settle for launch colours. If I waited 3-4 months I could have done individual.
I told my self never again. I got offered a launch edition model, I said no thank you, let me know when I can get a individual colour. Then we had multiple rumblings of a competition package, I said I'll wait until end of May, if nothing announced I'll just order a individual M5 and not wait for competition.

Current new M5 owners have no one to blame but themselves. Righting was on the wall. We all knew this was coming since before Geneva auto show.

No one is saying this is a surprise - at least not the regular members. Let's not argue straw men. I think most of us (myself included) concedes that it comes as no surprise. But the issue is - why should this situation even exist in the first place? Even if we knew for certain the M5 Comp was eventually coming - why shouldn't (and wouldn't) BMW roll these out simultaneously, rather than staggering them by mere months.

As stated in my last post - it makes no sense from any business perspective. Everyone including BMW and customers stands to gain from an earlier roll out. BMW gains potential additional sales of the comp pack, and gives each and every customer at least the option of spending more money if they want. BMW certainly had the time to develop the comp pack for simultaneous release with the M5. And they had every incentive to do so. It certainly wouldn't cause LOST sales. That MB (whom BMW is paralleling here) structures it this way is significant.

By all appearances, BMW simply botched getting the Comp pack ready in time (i.e. missed internal deadlines) to release simultaneously with the base M5.

Un. Forced. Error.
I absolutely get what you're saying, but in reality, there are four options:

1: delay cp for 1-2 years so early buyers can enjoy some perceived limelight (obviously bad)

2: delay base m5 until cp testing is complete, release both at same time (good for early adopting enthusiasts, bad for lessees on a time crunch or people who want the m5 and dont care about cp)

3: rush cp development so it launches at same time base is ready (good for people unwilling to wait and for enthusiast lessees on a time crunch, bad for anybody who cares about cp quality/value)

4: release m5 as soon as ready, release cp as soon as ready - best balance, but requires paying attention to rumors/leaks etc.

BMW probably should have announced the timeline more widely, but i think the current approach (option 4) is the best of what was available. Delaying one or rushing the other would still create unhappiness in one group or the other.
Appreciate 1
M4LAKA112.50
      05-09-2018, 09:07 PM   #157
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmabmass View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Un. Forced. Error.

1: delay cp for 1-2 years so early buyers can enjoy some perceived limelight (obviously bad)

2: delay base m5 until cp testing is complete, release both at same time (good for early adopting enthusiasts, bad for lessees on a time crunch or people who want the m5 and dont care about cp)

3: rush cp development so it launches at same time base is ready (good for people unwilling to wait and for enthusiast lessees on a time crunch, bad for anybody who cares about cp quality/value)

4: release m5 as soon as ready, release cp as soon as ready - best balance, but requires paying attention to rumors/leaks etc.

BMW probably should have announced the timeline more widely, but i think the current approach (option 4) is the best of what was available. Delaying one or rushing the other would still create unhappiness in one group or the other.
Good breakdown - but all of it assumes that BMW just didn't have enough time to develop the CP side by side with the base model - an assumption that doesn't really play out. BMW had years to develop this car. It's a new model preceded by a 7 year life cycle. Not to mention that BMW actually rolled out the regular m5 late compared to prior gens. It had extra time this time through. And finally, Mercedes is able to do it- so can BMW.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 09:20 PM   #158
tcw495
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmabmass View Post

I think the issue is not so much broadcasting the timeline of the base/CP releases, but also what is included in each.

For example, if I had waited for the CP this time around, I'd be pissed I waited because I don't like the wheels and all of the other cosmetic mods can be done by wrap or aftermarket parts. I don't need 17bhp and 7mm for $10k.

If they're going to stagger the release, they need to announce them side by side at least so people can decide which options are better.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 09:24 PM   #159
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Yeah I too wish they didn't do the M sport treatment to the rear bumper. Other than that I think it looks good and will definitely consider a lightly used one of these in the next couple of years.
Appreciate 1
esquire477.50
      05-09-2018, 10:35 PM   #160
BM dnobagaV
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 528i

"Lol" at that price tag.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 10:51 PM   #161
ljb
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C

Everyone complaining that it's a 17bhp power upgrade need to do the math and remember your getting the exact same 441kW or 460kW car from Germany as the rest of us.

If we want to start using BHP to represent the power of the car the "base" M5 doesn't even have 600bhp.

The "base" F90 M5 is 591bhp

441kW = 591bhp
460kW = 617bhp (Competition)

Thats a power upgrade of +26bhp. Not +17bhp.

If you want to keep saying your cars 600hp you better get back to using the metric system cause your car is 599 metric horsepower rounded up to 600. Not 600bhp.

Therefore the M5 Competition would also be quoted in metric horsepower not BHP. 460kW = 625hp (metric horsepower)

There is a 25/26hp power upgrade however you wish too look at it.
441kW - 460kW =19kW (26bhp or 25hp)

So now we can start calling the comp pack for what it is, just like the BMW press video, just like the BMW website. 625hp.
Appreciate 3
esquire477.50
gmd2003351.50
      05-10-2018, 01:36 AM   #162
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

so now it's a competitive car? because before the added 17hp it wasn't? their nomenclature needs revising more than their vehicles.
      05-10-2018, 06:38 AM   #163
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
so now it's a competitive car? because before the added 17hp it wasn't? their nomenclature needs revising more than their vehicles.
Sigh , it's 625 PS CP vs 600 metric or 591 bhp vs 617 bhp . The base car does not have 600bhp . It's a 25 hp bump , with a lot of suspension upgrades that will make it more fun to drive and have less understeer , no more no less .
Appreciate 1
ljb203.50
      05-10-2018, 08:24 AM   #164
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

M4 Standard 425 base Horsepower Test by Car and Driver

Zero to 60 mph: 3.7 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 8.5 secc
Zero to 130 mph: 14.5 sec
Zero to 160 mph: 25.7 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 4.7 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 2.2 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 2.7 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.0 sec @ 119 mph
Appreciate 1
Brake_Late1936.50
      05-10-2018, 08:26 AM   #165
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

M4 Competition Package 444 Horsepower (+19hp) Test by Car and Driver

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 3.8 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 8.6 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 14.8 sec
Zero to 150 mph: 21.9 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 4.4 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 2.2 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 2.9 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.1 sec @ 119
Appreciate 1
Brake_Late1936.50
      05-10-2018, 08:29 AM   #166
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Same type results with the F10 base vs Comp package. Nice suspension modifications, but extending the top 1500rpm hp curve.........

BMW ALWAY brings more power to the crank than advertised. Both are awesome packages !
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 11:40 AM   #167
allmotor_2000
F10 1/4 WR: 9.9s / 142.5mph 1/2 WR: 175.5mph
Rep
Drives: 2018 RS3, 991 Turbo

There are many ways to extend the power curve. The s63tu is awesome and the tu4 is even better with the additional fuel pressure.
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      05-10-2018, 12:01 PM   #168
basque76
Not a BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12' BMW 535i (dec.), 19' M5

What a bunch of racer boy puffrey! Look how delicate, black gloss this, black gloss that, inclination change, mm suspension change, measley ~20 HP bump, blah, blah. How about you dicks just make those all options like MB (rhetorical). I rather have ceramic controls, electric side sun shades, alcantara roof, video recording and storage, invisible car door dent preventer, caltrop drop box or any other more practical options than these gimmicky gewgaws.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 02:15 PM   #169
Punitive
Private First Class
Rep

Are the margins that tight that they have to come up with BS packages to make an additional $7400 for essentially zero additional cost to BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 03:03 PM   #170
allmotor_2000
F10 1/4 WR: 9.9s / 142.5mph 1/2 WR: 175.5mph
Rep
Drives: 2018 RS3, 991 Turbo

Their cost delta is < $1000 (larger tires... ). Maybe the paint booth needs special programming.

Good margins!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 03:06 PM   #171
BM dnobagaV
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by basque76 View Post
What a bunch of racer boy puffrey! Look how delicate, black gloss this, black gloss that, inclination change, mm suspension change, measley ~20 HP bump, blah, blah. How about you dicks just make those all options like MB (rhetorical). I rather have ceramic controls, electric side sun shades, alcantara roof, video recording and storage, invisible car door dent preventer, caltrop drop box or any other more practical options than these gimmicky gewgaws.
Somewhat concur. I just don't get the purpose of releasing competition or performance packages. Just release the damn best, most quality car you can. Don't say, "oh, we made the suspension 17% better..... well why wasn't it 17% better originally?"
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 03:17 PM   #172
josec70
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22' Individual Chalk M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punitive View Post
Are the margins that tight that they have to come up with BS packages to make an additional $7400 for essentially zero additional cost to BMW.
People will pay for it .... look at the F10 M5 and the # of ZCP's sold as a number of total M5's. BMW knows exactly who their buyers are and that this amount is not meaningful to the majority of its target demographic.
GONE: 13' F10 M5|SG|BLACK|AKRA|KW|IND
LONG GONE: 09' E60 M5|02' E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 03:29 PM   #173
Punitive
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by josec70 View Post
People will pay for it .... look at the F10 M5 and the # of ZCP's sold as a number of total M5's. BMW knows exactly who their buyers are and that this amount is not meaningful to the majority of its target demographic.
Agreed, but the market was flooded with F10's and those cars were sold at significant discounts. The demand was misjudged. Look forward to nice deals on these cars 6 months to a year from now.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 03:33 PM   #174
josec70
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22' Individual Chalk M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punitive View Post
Agreed, but the market was flooded with F10's and those cars were sold at significant discounts. The demand was misjudged. Look forward to nice deals on these cars 6 months to a year from now.
No doubt! I strictly lease so my exit strategy's predefined but agree w/ someone else taking the initial hit and picking up a used one if you buy.

The cars don't hold value well IMO especially late in the cycle.
GONE: 13' F10 M5|SG|BLACK|AKRA|KW|IND
LONG GONE: 09' E60 M5|02' E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 04:09 PM   #175
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM dnobagaV View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by basque76 View Post
Somewhat concur. I just don't get the purpose of releasing competition or performance packages. Just release the damn best, most quality car you can. Don't say, "oh, we made the suspension 17% better..... well why wasn't it 17% better originally?"
Then why build anything above a 530?

Just make the 530 best evar.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 04:11 PM   #176
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

I for one am all about different options/choices.

Even us (most of us) that shop/own these cars still have a budget, and different goals/likes.

/// However, release them together for Christ's sake.

//////Slashies
Appreciate 1
esquire477.50