BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    M5 gets a switchable AWD ?!

12-23-2016, 05:13 PM   #45
Halim@HCP
Banned
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if you already know but. I can confirm it's going to be:

BMW M5 F90
Engine: S63B44T4

I'll share more as time allows Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 02:22 PM   #46
RaTeD ///M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2K13 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
This defeats the purpose entirely. For me, AWD is stupid for a performance car because it ADDS weight. Provided the weight distribution is good and the AWD is rear biased, it won't under steer. A RWD setting just means your car is rwd with a stupid amount of weight added for no reason. I mean honestly...
I disagree u can only put so much power to the ground on a RWD. You'll get spanked by the competition whom already converted to AWD off the line because you'll spin. AWD with DCT and you'll about smoke anything off the line. The added weight is minimal and u can always add more power to offset or reduce weight by taking stuff off if so your so concern with it. AWD will allow u to put more power to the ground! Additionally, I love the fact I can drive it in snow as RWD fucking sucks ball sacks.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 04:19 PM   #47
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaTeD ///M View Post
Quote:
This defeats the purpose entirely. For me, AWD is stupid for a performance car because it ADDS weight. Provided the weight distribution is good and the AWD is rear biased, it won't under steer. A RWD setting just means your car is rwd with a stupid amount of weight added for no reason. I mean honestly...
I disagree u can only put so much power to the ground on a RWD. You'll get spanked by the competition whom already converted to AWD off the line because you'll spin. AWD with DCT and you'll about smoke anything off the line. The added weight is minimal and u can always add more power to offset or reduce weight by taking stuff off if so your so concern with it. AWD will allow u to put more power to the ground! Additionally, I love the fact I can drive it in snow as RWD fucking sucks ball sacks.
RWD only sucks in the snow if you have shit tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 12:55 AM   #48
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 09:46 AM   #49
apexit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 SO M3

I've had awd and rwd with winters. There is no comparison. My M3 is horrible in the snow with snow tires. Don't think I'd do a rwd car as my only car again as long as I live in an area that gets snow.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 03:52 PM   #50
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit View Post
I've had awd and rwd with winters. There is no comparison. My M3 is horrible in the snow with snow tires. Don't think I'd do a rwd car as my only car again as long as I live in an area that gets snow.
I dunno man maybe you got a lemon? Mine is totally fine in the snow* with the 1 exception that the front fairings are really low so you scrape on 3 inches or more of snow off the ground.

Otherwise with the M differential and my Blizzaks I am fully confident in the car within the limits of my own capabilities in snowy weather. I've legit gone right by a 330xi that was completely spinning its brains out clawing for traction in the right lane (obviously had all seasons or summers on) with no extra effort whatsoever.

Tires are responsible for 80% of winter driving capability if not more.

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 2
JTO245246.50
      01-13-2017, 04:43 PM   #51
apexit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 SO M3

I was going to mention hill but saw that you are close enough that we probably use the same roads. I think the biggest thing for me is that I have to work unless it's a state of emergency type blizzard. My office also happens to be near the water so it's uphill in every direction. On flat roads it's not so bad but on those hills I had a really steep learning curve coming from awd.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 10:18 AM   #52
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianeck View Post
I dunno man maybe you got a lemon? Mine is totally fine in the snow* with the 1 exception that the front fairings are really low so you scrape on 3 inches or more of snow off the ground.

Otherwise with the M differential and my Blizzaks I am fully confident in the car within the limits of my own capabilities in snowy weather. I've legit gone right by a 330xi that was completely spinning its brains out clawing for traction in the right lane (obviously had all seasons or summers on) with no extra effort whatsoever.

Tires are responsible for 80% of winter driving capability if not more.
This.. my F80 with Blizzaks was incredible in the snow. The only minor issue was ground clearance due to being lowered but even that wasn't a problem.

The M diff with proper tires works wonders in snow.. totally comfortable and predictable. I never once got stuck.
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 12:48 PM   #53
Beemer323
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30 330i, e39 530i ESS e61 M5.

Quote:
Stupid amount of weight? Not sure how the M5 will go about it but the Fezza FF AWD added less than 90 pounds extra weight...that's SFA in the grand scheme of things with a 2 tonne barge.

I think you need an M2. Or maybe your intelligence level can only control a Miata?

Last edited by Beemer323; 01-20-2017 at 01:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 12:51 PM   #54
Beemer323
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
Haha wow that 318i sounded SUPER ghey.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 12:57 PM   #55
Beemer323
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Eddie and Dom, sitting in a tree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominNYE24 View Post
Just buy some decent snow tires, it won't add any weight and you guys would be fine in any conditions! Leave M5 RWD as it should be!!
Please follow Eddies lead...

Last edited by Beemer323; 01-20-2017 at 01:10 PM.. Reason: Auto correct was incorrect.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 01:08 PM   #56
Beemer323
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Sir, you are becoming so tiring. If your panties are in such a twist and you DO ever buy a new M5...go and take the front half shafts out and get over it.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 01:15 PM   #57
Beemer323
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Your spot on...coz my e61 m5 with 'shit' new Michelins couldn't handle a light sprinkling of a few inches of powder at the beginning of winter.

You won, Mr stick shift, RWD, 2 door 2500lb coupe fan boy.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 02:44 PM   #58
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer323 View Post
Your spot on...coz my e61 m5 with 'shit' new Michelins couldn't handle a light sprinkling of a few inches of powder at the beginning of winter.

You had my attention at E61 M5 You win.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 04:09 PM   #59
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Stupid amount of weight? Not sure how the M5 will go about it but the Fezza FF AWD added less than 90 pounds extra weight...that's SFA in the grand scheme of things with a 2 tonne barge.

I think you need an M2. Or maybe your intelligence level can only control a Miata?
Well considering manual driving requires more "intelligence" than automatic driving, I'd say the car for the less intelligent would be the M2/5. And for the record, weight is weight regardless of how much.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 04:11 PM   #60
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Relax man haha. And when did I mention anything about 2500 lbs and a coupe? Everyone on here is so sensitive. Sorry my opinion disagree with yours I didn't mean to offend you.

And for the record the e60 m5 is my favorite M car.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 03:56 PM   #61
IshR
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

The pro-awd people, keep banging on about being beaten by competition off the line - I.e 0-60.

Seriously grow up, are you all like in kindergarten? Driving is a lot more then simply planting your foot down at the lights!!

Braking, Cornering and mid-gear acceleration (for over taking) are far far more important!!!

Switchable rwd makes no sense, extra weight of awd system doesn't disappear at the switch of a button. So what's the point? To do donuts?

Also there is power loss through transmission of awd systems - hence why the f10 and e60 m5 pull so hard at 70 mph+ compared to awd competition.

awd is just a gimmick, a bragging right (0-60) and most of all for ppl who haven't got the skill to handle rear wheel drive power delivery.

Very disappointed with BMW, first we lose the naturally aspirated v10 and now losing rwd.

A triumph for folks with more money then driving ability I'm afraid.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 04:01 PM   #62
mvigod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshR View Post
The pro-awd people, keep banging on about being beaten by competition off the line - I.e 0-60.

Seriously grow up, are you all like in kindergarten? Driving is a lot more then simply planting your foot down at the lights!!

Braking, Cornering and mid-gear acceleration (for over taking) are far far more important!!!

Switchable rwd makes no sense, extra weight of awd system doesn't disappear at the switch of a button. So what's the point? To do donuts?

Also there is power loss through transmission of awd systems - hence why the f10 and e60 m5 pull so hard at 70 mph+ compared to awd competition.

awd is just a gimmick, a bragging right (0-60) and most of all for ppl who haven't got the skill to handle rear wheel drive power delivery.

Very disappointed with BMW, first we lose the naturally aspirated v10 and now losing rwd.

A triumph for folks with more money then driving ability I'm afraid.
A gimmick? Care to explain how the heavier and underpowered 918 beat the P1 and LaFerrari around every track? If you listen to those who tested it they said it was the extra traction provided by the AWD system pulling out of the corners.

So there it is in real world practice. AWD beating two cars with MORE power and less weight. Aero was not a factor as the other two cars arguably also had more of that too.

The tradeoff of weight is WELL worth it as proven by the 918 in every track shoot out
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 05:17 PM   #63
IshR
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigod View Post
A gimmick? Care to explain how the heavier and underpowered 918 beat the P1 and LaFerrari around every track? If you listen to those who tested it they said it was the extra traction provided by the AWD system pulling out of the corners.

So there it is in real world practice. AWD beating two cars with MORE power and less weight. Aero was not a factor as the other two cars arguably also had more of that too.

The tradeoff of weight is WELL worth it as proven by the 918 in every track shoot out
When I say gimmick, I refer to the 0-60 / I can slam my foot on the pedal / my 0-60 is quicker then yours.

There are many many factors which affect lap times.
In the wet yes awd is quicker around a track, but in the dry it's better to be lighter with rwd, unless you're a woman or very unskilled behind the wheel 😄

Look at the current f10 m5 vs rs6 : it's widely accepted that the BMW is the superior car despite having a slower 0-60
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 05:25 PM   #64
Beemer323
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Relax man haha. And when did I mention anything about 2500 lbs and a coupe? Everyone on here is so sensitive. Sorry my opinion disagree with yours I didn't mean to offend you.

And for the record the e60 m5 is my favorite M car.
Hey Eddie you sure are correct that everyone is sensitive on here

At the end of the day it's a sensitive topic and no, everyone can't have their desired cake and eat it...

My reference to 2500lb vehicles was a hint at the past era of the e24/e30 and how luxo barges will never be anything like that again.

E60/61 is my favourite car also...hence why I picked up a 10k mile example for keeps when I knew there would he no more unique engines.

PS! Sure the SMG is an auto but at least you still need to modulate the throttle between changes. You give me a system whereby an individual with a severed spinal cord can drive with 3 pedals and I will press for a manual M5 Touring from BMW! Otherwise I will be satisfied with a B5 Touring.

Thank you. And no offence implied or taken
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 05:27 PM   #65
Beemer323
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
When I say gimmick, I refer to the 0-60 / I can slam my foot on the pedal / my 0-60 is quicker then yours.

In the wet yes awd is quicker around a track, but in the dry it's better to be lighter with rwd, unless you're a woman or very unskilled behind the wheel 😄

Look at the current f10 m5 vs rs6 : it's widely accepted that the BMW is the superior car despite having a slower 0-60
Not a pleasant stab at women but I'm sure we all agree with your last point...hence why we are all following the developments so eagerly!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 05:32 PM   #66
mvigod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Garage List
Quote:

Sorry but you are plain wrong. The 918 was tested against the lighter more powerful P1 and LaFerrari on DRY pavement racetracks. It won all the time. Suggest you go look at some of the shootouts and reviews.

AWD is superior and I'll go against you with your RWD on a track and I'll take the same car with AWD and you are not going to win. You may have more fun hanging out the rear of the car but drifting makes for slower lap times.
Appreciate 0