BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    Tire Replacement

01-29-2024, 10:11 AM   #1
DEW67
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 Comp

Tire Replacement

Hi

Apologies if a similar post has been made but I did search before posting this. I have a 2023 M5 Comp with about 11,000 miles. The rear tires have about 2mm left before they need to be replaced. I've had a terrible time with nails and screws and over the weekend, I patched one of the rear tires for the 3rd time. I'm getting the rear replaced tomorrow. I have a couple of questions.

1) Do I need to get the front tires done at the same time?
2) Where do you guys typically get your tires?. Dealer, Pep Boys, Discount Tire or a specialty wheel and tire shop.

Thank you
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2024, 10:56 AM   #2
WayneM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90M5

I know most people would not do this but I generally buy my tires used on eBay with high tread. I just bought 2 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S fronts that have 7mm tread depth (compared to new which is about 8mm) for under $210 each compared with over $400 on TireRack. Neither one has any patches. I have found that if you add the item to your Watch List, they generally make you a better offer within a few days. This method doesn't work if you need a tire today but I bought these for when I remove the snow tires in a few months and have them on hand and ready. I have a local tire place in Queens that has good machines and charges me $20 each for mounting and balancing.

I just replaced all 4 tires on my brother's 540i M Sport with Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 and found that Costco was the same price as TireRack, had an $80 instant rebate, included mounting & balancing as well as free repairs, tire rotation and a pro-rated 45,000 mile warranty. I thought that was a good deal.
Appreciate 1
Oz M546.50
      01-29-2024, 12:11 PM   #3
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
What’s the remaining tread on the front set? Are they the same age?

My rear passenger side tire also hit its third nail/screw that was noticed when I did my seasonal changeover last month. I ended up getting a replacement for that.

I always use my dealership for OE star marked summer tires. My winters are not OE BMW star marked (Pirelli SottoZero III winter performance), however. I purchased them from Tire Rack and had them shipped to the dealership which then did the seasonal changeover and stores my off season tires.
      01-29-2024, 12:40 PM   #4
DEW67
Enlisted Member
Rep

I didn't even consider having tires shipped to the dealer. My SA said she would price match so I'm heading to Discount Tire at lunch to get a quote.

The tires are the same age. I think I have about 5mm left on the front. Odd the rear have less tread left :-)

When I found out I had a screw in the tire, before they took the tire off, one place noticed a plug and said they wouldn't do it. I went to Pep Boys and they said I actually have 2 plugs already and this will make it 3. They had me sign something stating that I'm aware of the condition of the tire which I'm fine doing. Got me out of a bind.
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2024, 01:27 PM   #5
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEW67 View Post
I didn't even consider having tires shipped to the dealer. My SA said she would price match so I'm heading to Discount Tire at lunch to get a quote.

The tires are the same age. I think I have about 5mm left on the front. Odd the rear have less tread left :-)

When I found out I had a screw in the tire, before they took the tire off, one place noticed a plug and said they wouldn't do it. I went to Pep Boys and they said I actually have 2 plugs already and this will make it 3. They had me sign something stating that I'm aware of the condition of the tire which I'm fine doing. Got me out of a bind.
Not all dealers will do this, but it’s worth looking into. If they’ll price match for you though, you may not even need that. I’m assuming you have OE 20 inches wheels. Here’s the price for OE BMW star marked PS4S shipped to Las Vegas. Right around market prices.

You don’t absolutely have to do the fronts with 5 mm remaining, but it’s worth keeping an eye to see when you’ll get to 4 mm, and by 3 mm it’s probably time to replace them.

In my personal experience, the rears tend to wear faster than the fronts. However, if you have extremely uneven wear (which I don’t think is necessarily the case here) it’s worth looking into toe, camber, or even misalignment. If you’re driving in 2WD frequently, that could be a contributing factor as well. Even in 4WD mode, the car is rear biased, so there is that as well.

There could also be no underlying issue at all, and you’re just wearing the rears faster based on driving style.
Attached Images

01-29-2024, 02:17 PM   #6
LouK
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram TRX F90 M5

Quote:
1) Do I need to get the front tires done at the same time?
2) Where do you guys typically get your tires?. Dealer, Pep Boys, Discount Tire or a specialty wheel and tire shop.

Thank you
1) I was always told to keep the tires on AWD within a shout of each other. At a minimum to replace same axle. My fronts had a small amount of life left but had them done as the same time as the rears just so I wouldn’t have to waste time going back.
2) discount tire did my last set with zero issue. I went with an A/S setup due to driving more and having a longer treadlife. No complaints on driving dynamics, I don’t track the car just the occasional spirited driving.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 05:33 PM   #7
DEW67
Enlisted Member
Rep

Smile

Thank you for the replies. Going in Friday to have them replace all 4. I wish I would have chosen the tire protection when I bought the car. Oh well. Maybe on the next M5 I buy
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2024, 06:28 PM   #8
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you for the replies. Going in Friday to have them replace all 4. I wish I would have chosen the tire protection when I bought the car. Oh well. Maybe on the next M5 I buy
Replacing all four is the most prudent route.

Tire and wheel protection would not cover general wear to the tires (though it would have covered your nail/screw occurrences) so you’d be out of pocket on the worn ones anyways (unless they also happened to have irreparable nail/screw damage). It’s not unheard of for people with these packages to drive over a handful of screws, one tire at a time, until all four are replaced over a short period of time; but of course, it’s unscrupulous.

Depending on your driving, you may be better off just paying out of pocket on tire/wheel issues as they occur. When I was DDing Range Rovers, I’d always get the tire and wheel package given to me at cost ($1000) for a three year lease. Get two new tires and it’ll basically pay for itself. Made a lot of sense.

On the M5 however, it was offered to me at $3800 for 36 months. Sure I have had a couple of curb rash instances, and some nails/screws, and I’m sure I’ll have a few more before my lease is up, but I highly doubt $3800 worth. I’ve spent a few hundred bucks so far on a couple of patches and rim refinishes. Made more sense to go out of pocket at that high protection plan cost.
      01-30-2024, 11:45 AM   #9
DEW67
Enlisted Member
Rep

I don't recall what they were going to charge me for the wheel and tire protection. $3,800 is a lot and if that's what it was, that's why I turned it down. Can't wait to try out the new tires on Friday.
Appreciate 0