BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    No spare tire?

11-22-2022, 12:14 PM   #23
Blake M550i
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Last set
Attached Images

Southlake, TX
Appreciate 2
      11-22-2022, 12:26 PM   #24
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Thanks for going to the trouble to show us all of the kit. BMW doesn’t include a jack to lift the car?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 12:45 PM   #25
Blake M550i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
Thanks for going to the trouble to show us all of the kit. BMW doesn’t include a jack to lift the car?
The jack is in the little black foam circle that fits in the spare tire. The jack is black so hard to see, but it is there.
Attached Images

Southlake, TX
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2022, 01:12 PM   #26
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Thanks Blake M550i for going through an extreme amount of labor to provide this info for us. You rock!

I'll be looking at starting to gather parts towards the end of the week.
      11-22-2022, 01:39 PM   #27
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake M550i View Post
The jack is in the little black foam circle that fits in the spare tire. The jack is black so hard to see, but it is there.
Thanks, I wasn't sure what that was. ECS has the F10 version of the BMW spare on their site for $800, but not the F90. ModernSpare is looking more attractive at their price level.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 01:45 PM   #28
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

That is a pretty fancy and complete factory kit! Would really reduce my trunk capacity, though. You would not believe what I put in there. Had 2 holding sawhorses, Milwaukee tanks saw and stand, 3 large bags of Milwaukee power tools, etc. in there last weekend. If I gave up 4” of trunk height, it would not all have fit. I had the back seat down also, but my miter saw and more stuff was there.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 02:15 PM   #29
Blake M550i
No_Country
Rep

No problem guys. Happy to do it. Unfortunately my M550i was totaled back at the beginning of October, so I took the opportunity to upgrade to a M5. Cool pic of getting the spare tire kit out of M550i and transferring it over to my M5. The BMW collision center guy drove my old car out so it was easier to transfer. Old car next to new to me car…lol.
Attached Images

Southlake, TX
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 02:24 PM   #30
Blake M550i
No_Country
Rep

Also, for reference, my M550i was spec'd with non run flat tires and that came with the space saver spare tire kit. Here is a snippet of the build sheet that shows the option package code.
Attached Images

Southlake, TX
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2022, 11:49 AM   #31
Jarmadon
Private
Rep
Drives: 22' F90 M5C

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmadon View Post
Just google modern spare and you'll find their website.
I like the space savings we get with the Modern Spare tire and wheel, but I wonder if the required spacer affects the engagement of the lug bolt. Have you mounted the Modern Spare to see the fit? How much of the stock lug bolt engages the threads in the hub? When you put the stock lug bolt through the Modern Spare and spacer, what is the length of the exposed bolt?

EDIT: I asked this question before looking closely at the supplied spacer from Modern Spare. I feel stupid after asking it! Just so no one reading my question is misled, the spacer doesn't affect lug bolt engagement at all. Your stock lug bolts attach the spacer to the hub, then the threaded studs on the spacer are used to mount the Modern Spare wheel. They supply lug nuts for doing that.
They don't advertise it for some reason, but the kit they sent me is a newer 19" wheel that doesn't even require a spacer. I've test mounted it just to be sure and it clears the calipers. Now if you have CCBs you'd need a spacer still.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2022, 12:49 PM   #32
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmadon View Post
They don't advertise it for some reason, but the kit they sent me is a newer 19" wheel that doesn't even require a spacer. I've test mounted it just to be sure and it clears the calipers. Now if you have CCBs you'd need a spacer still.
Interesting. I hope I get the 19” wheel. I sent my stupid spacer question to Modern Spare also, but no response, not even to tell me I’m getting the 19” wheel without the need for a spacer. Supposed to ship soon, so I guess I’ll find out. BMW’s space saver spare is 19” also, at least for the F10, on the ECS site. I wonder if the Modern Spare is from the same company but with the F90 bolt pattern? Huge difference in pricing from ECS.

If there's no need for a spacer, those that have installed studs in their hubs will be able to use the Modern Spare also.

Last edited by Used2be; 11-24-2022 at 12:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2022, 03:15 PM   #33
Jarmadon
Private
Rep
Drives: 22' F90 M5C

Quote:

Interesting. I hope I get the 19" wheel. I sent my stupid spacer question to Modern Spare also, but no response, not even to tell me I'm getting the 19" wheel without the need for a spacer. Supposed to ship soon, so I guess I'll find out. BMW's space saver spare is 19" also, at least for the F10, on the ECS site. I wonder if the Modern Spare is from the same company but with the F90 bolt pattern? Huge difference in pricing from ECS.

If there's no need for a spacer, those that have installed studs in their hubs will be able to use the Modern Spare also.
I attached the email they sent me, this was back in January/February I believe.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 02:24 PM   #34
NCRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5C

Maybe a dumb question but I’m gonna ask anyway: Would having something like that Modern Spare system (assuming ~ 50lbs?) sitting in the trunk affect speed? Or lower car over rear wheels any?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 02:56 PM   #35
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRob View Post
Maybe a dumb question but I'm gonna ask anyway: Would having something like that Modern Spare system (assuming ~ 50lbs?) sitting in the trunk affect speed? Or lower car over rear wheels any?
I did weigh the kit when I first got it. It is 50 pounds for the all inclusive kit with the jack, tire iron, mounting point protectors, and tire tote for the removed tire inside the protective zip up bag (but not including the spacer). I did test putting it in the trunk, and it did not lower the car at all. I have put a couple hundred pounds of payload in the trunk before without it lowering.

As for speed, while I didn't test the before and after, say, with Dragy, I don't feel the car being any slower with it, nor up to that same couple hundred pounds of payload.
      12-24-2022, 03:43 PM   #36
NCRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
I did weight the kit when I first got it. It is 50 pounds for the all inclusive kit with the jack, tire iron, mounting point protectors, and tire tote for the removed tire inside the protective zip up bag (but not including the spacer). I did test putting it in the trunk, and it did not lower the car at all. I have put a couple hundred pounds of payload in the trunk before without it lowering.

As for speed, while I didn't test the before and after, say, with Dragy, I don't feel the car being any slower with it, nor up to that same couple hundred pounds of payload.
Thanks, I need to lose a few lbs myself so maybe I can split the difference
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 02:14 PM   #37
pmsteinm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M5C, 19 X5

Garage List
I am resurrecting this old thread.

Have those of you with the Modern spare had to use it yet? I see the rolling diameter is 1" smaller which seems like a that wouldn't be great for xDrive. But better than being stuck I suppose.

I was debating just buying their jack so I don't need to carry my large floor jack. I have a 2nd set of OEM wheels to act as a spare. I know the compact spare takes less space, but if you are on a trip with a full trunk where do you put the OEM wheel when you remove it? For that reason I would just use a full size wheel for the spare. The other option is just carry a licorice plug kit but I would still need the jack to get the wheel off to fix it in the first place.

For now I've been relying on the goo the car comes with but depending on the damage that might not get you home (same with the plug kit).
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2023, 03:31 PM   #38
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

There is side to side and front to rear variation. Let’s say you bring a spare front 275/35/20 wheel/tire but suffer a rear flat. Does having a 285/35/20 on one side and 275/35/20 on the other side matter? Seems like it would affect the rear diff.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 09:48 PM   #39
pmsteinm
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
There is side to side and front to rear variation. Let’s say you bring a spare front 275/35/20 wheel/tire but suffer a rear flat. Does having a 285/35/20 on one side and 275/35/20 on the other side matter? Seems like it would affect the rear diff.
The stock sized front to rear are within 1%. They might be even closer because the rear wheel is 1/2 in wider than the standard width for a 285 tire which reduces the diameter a bit. The spare is 4% smaller than the fronts. So using a 275 on the rear would be closer than the donut. I assume a smaller wheel is just going to wear the clutches in the differential more but probably is negligible if it's only to get home.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 10:55 PM   #40
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsteinm View Post
I am resurrecting this old thread.

Have those of you with the Modern spare had to use it yet? I see the rolling diameter is 1" smaller which seems like a that wouldn't be great for xDrive. But better than being stuck I suppose.

I was debating just buying their jack so I don't need to carry my large floor jack. I have a 2nd set of OEM wheels to act as a spare. I know the compact spare takes less space, but if you are on a trip with a full trunk where do you put the OEM wheel when you remove it? For that reason I would just use a full size wheel for the spare. The other option is just carry a licorice plug kit but I would still need the jack to get the wheel off to fix it in the first place.

For now I've been relying on the goo the car comes with but depending on the damage that might not get you home (same with the plug kit).
I have yet to test fit in (which is quite contra my typical pragmatic nature) but I did rely on some reliable outside resources at the time of purchase.

As far as for where the OEM wheels goes upon removal…
Attached Images

10-03-2023, 07:14 AM   #41
pmsteinm
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
I have yet to test fit in (which is quite contra my typical pragmatic nature) but I did rely on some reliable outside resources at the time of purchase.

As far as for where the OEM wheels goes upon removal…
I might get the roof rails. I'm hesitant because I bought them for my wife's E90 and probably used them 4 times in 12 years. But when the kids get older the luggage pod could be handy.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2023, 11:20 AM   #42
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I might get the roof rails. I'm hesitant because I bought them for my wife's E90 and probably used them 4 times in 12 years. But when the kids get older the luggage pod could be handy.
I was half joking as even if you had rails and the roof box, you probably wouldn’t have those installed all the time. But I did get them for a road trip last year. The Modern Spare kit fits up there, as does a 706M wheel with tire. I’ve personally confirmed that, so you’d definitely be able to get an OE tire and wheel up there in the event you need to use the spare on a road trip and the trunk is full.

These are OE BMW roof rails and a Thule Force XT large size box. IIRC, it’s rated for 90mph, but sustained triple digit speeds are no problem. That size is perfect to not have too much overhang over the windshield. You can barely see it when it’s up there from inside the cabin. There is a slight bit of increased noise, but for something of its mass, it’s surprisingly not too bad.
      10-03-2023, 05:38 PM   #43
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
The stock sized front to rear are within 1%. They might be even closer because the rear wheel is 1/2 in wider than the standard width for a 285 tire which reduces the diameter a bit. The spare is 4% smaller than the fronts. So using a 275 on the rear would be closer than the donut. I assume a smaller wheel is just going to wear the clutches in the differential more but probably is negligible if it's only to get home.
What if you carried a spare rear wheel on trips and used RWD if necessary?
Appreciate 0