Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > 330i Winter set-up Help!!!

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-18-2005, 12:31 PM   #1
shad951
Private
Rep
Drives: Garage is Empty

330i Winter set-up Help!!!

Well I found out the hard way that obviously some of the wheel tire places out there have no clue to what will actually fit on E90. I have a 2006 330i sport and ordered 245/45R17 Dunlop M3 DSST for winter from Tire Rack. They did not have much of a selection at all on 17" wheels (I think 5 or 6 total to pick from). So I ordered wheels elsewhere. I ordered replicas that closely resemble the 162's on there now from Victoria Tire. The salesman "assured" me on 3 different calls guaranteed fit on a 2006 330i. Well, got the wheels yesterday UPS and took the car to the dealer today and the wheels do not fit. They rub the brake calipers and the backing plate. So, I had to have my original 162's/tires put back on the car until I can find a 17" wheel to fit. I already called Victoria Tire and they are taking the wheels back no problem. My question is this. The dealer tried telling me today that I should have stuck with an 18" setup in a snow tire and wheel package. From my experience and from reading on here I was under the impression its always best to go down one size smaller for winter for better traction. Anyone else here with 330i sport who has had any problem with a 17" winter tire/wheel combo? From what I have read it here it seems like 17" has worked fine for many. Any suggestions on a alternate 17" winter wheel for this car would be greatly appreciated.......Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2005, 12:35 PM   #2
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Your right to want to step down in size for the winter setup, its just better As for your new wheels not fitting, that sucks and it sounds like they sold you a setup with the wrong offset. I was wondering, are the rubbing on the caliper on the front face, or on the top ? If its the front face, then you may be able to solve the problem with a 5 or 10mm spacer.

If its the top, then its a diameter problem Maybee the design of those 17s is a bit different design than most.
      11-18-2005, 01:41 PM   #3
Pretender
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i, 07 328i, 16 X1, >17M2

Garage List
06 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shad951
Well I found out the hard way that obviously some of the wheel tire places out there have no clue to what will actually fit on E90. I have a 2006 330i sport and ordered 245/45R17 Dunlop M3 DSST for winter from Tire Rack. They did not have much of a selection at all on 17" wheels (I think 5 or 6 total to pick from). So I ordered wheels elsewhere. I ordered replicas that closely resemble the 162's on there now from Victoria Tire. The salesman "assured" me on 3 different calls guaranteed fit on a 2006 330i. Well, got the wheels yesterday UPS and took the car to the dealer today and the wheels do not fit. They rub the brake calipers and the backing plate. So, I had to have my original 162's/tires put back on the car until I can find a 17" wheel to fit. I already called Victoria Tire and they are taking the wheels back no problem. My question is this. The dealer tried telling me today that I should have stuck with an 18" setup in a snow tire and wheel package. From my experience and from reading on here I was under the impression its always best to go down one size smaller for winter for better traction. Anyone else here with 330i sport who has had any problem with a 17" winter tire/wheel combo? From what I have read it here it seems like 17" has worked fine for many. Any suggestions on a alternate 17" winter wheel for this car would be greatly appreciated.......Thanks
When you replace the wheels, make sure to look for wheels with offset from 30mm-40mm and the width of 8-8.5". For 17" wheels, 225/45/17 is the recommended tire size for non-sport e90. With 245/45/17, you get ~0.7" more in wheel diameter which is also okay. Lots of 17" wheels on ebay with the offset from 35-38mm. Just check them out.
Appreciate 0