BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos    In case you weren’t aware, the VW I.D. R set the Pike's Peak record back in June

12-10-2018, 09:44 PM   #1
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

In case you weren’t aware, the VW I.D. R set the Pike's Peak record back in June

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/v...s-peak-record/

Amazing. I thought hybrids that could brake and recovery the energy and then use it to slingshot would become the standard racing machines in the near future, but technology might just completely bypass that.
      12-10-2018, 09:55 PM   #2
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Looks very kool. I think I realized while reading the article why I will likely never own an EV or Hybrid. The technology is amazing, but I realize that I love old cars. I recently bought a newer car, a 2015 MB and as nice as it is I worry about all the technology. The creature comforts are great, I'm hoping that I don't have too many troubles with it as I'd like to keep it for a very long time, in the mean time I have my old Porsche and I just love how little tech it has. I don't think EV's are quite ready for prime time but I'm sure their time will come, just not likely for me.
Appreciate 1
Biginboca3759.50
      12-11-2018, 05:19 PM   #3
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
Looks very kool. I think I realized while reading the article why I will likely never own an EV or Hybrid. The technology is amazing, but I realize that I love old cars. I recently bought a newer car, a 2015 MB and as nice as it is I worry about all the technology. The creature comforts are great, I'm hoping that I don't have too many troubles with it as I'd like to keep it for a very long time, in the mean time I have my old Porsche and I just love how little tech it has. I don't think EV's are quite ready for prime time but I'm sure their time will come, just not likely for me.
I don't think we are far off though, just maybe 2 years, before an EV takes the Nurburgring record and from that point on, I highly doubt it'll be broken by a non-EV. Sure, it won't do Le Mans or a longer track race due to battery capacity for a while, that'll take more years, but density is already approaching the levels where for a short lap or race, it'll put down more torque faster and do it.