BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    This car is a freak of nature

11-29-2018, 08:28 PM   #1
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT3 Touring, 993 C4S, M2C

This car is a freak of nature

Finally got to put my new car through it's paces tonight.

Unreal.

This car is the size of an early 90s 7 series and a Cadillac Sedan de Ville. It really boggles the mind.

The engine is winner - although it's got good torque down low, it's surprisingly responsive and likes to rev than most turbos I've driven. Power seems to really come on aggressively at >4000 RPM. I really can't perceive much lag at all. I was expecting a somewhat boring torque monster that peters out up top, but this one has character. Probably my biggest surprise. Say what you want about BMW - every single one I've ever owned has had a killer engine. This one is no different.

I haven't driven the regular M5, but the Competition moves really well. Movements are controlled and the grip is absolutely enormous. Overall, very poised.

The main criticism I have, so far, is the sound. I hate the artificial overrun farts. I hated in my GT4, 911 Turbo and RS3 and I hate it in this. Annoying and pointless.

Just some thoughts. I bought this car sight unseen and undriven. I knew it would be good, but this thing is turning out to be a legitimately awesome car.

It's popular nowadays to rag on BMW- I've done my fair share. But this M5 is truly underrated.
Appreciate 3
      11-29-2018, 08:36 PM   #2
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotk View Post

Unreal.

This car is the size of an early 90s 7 series and a Cadillac Sedan de Ville. It really boggles the mind.

The engine is winner - although it's got good torque down low, it's surprisingly responsive and likes to rev than most turbos I've driven. Power seems to really come on aggressively at >4000 RPM. I really can't perceive much lag at all. I was expecting a somewhat boring torque monster that peters out up top, but this one has character. Probably my biggest surprise. Say what you want about BMW - every single one I've ever owned has had a killer engine. This one is no different.

I haven't driven the regular M5, but the Competition moves really well. Movements are controlled and the grip is absolutely enormous. Overall, very poised.

The main criticism I have, so far, is the sound. I hate the artificial overrun farts. I hated in my GT4, 911 Turbo and RS3 and I hate it in this. Annoying and pointless.

Just some thoughts. I bought this car sight unseen and undriven. I knew it would be good, but this thing is turning out to be a legitimately awesome car.

It's popular nowadays to rag on BMW- I've done my fair share. But this M5 is truly underrated.
Killer. Add a RaceChip and it really wakes up !
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12967.50
      11-29-2018, 08:49 PM   #3
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

Yes it is
Congrats on the car, pictures please.
I couldn't stand the sound at all but, it was a easy fix. I changed to full Eisenmann exhaust with lower down pipes
r33_RGSport12967.50
      11-29-2018, 09:00 PM   #4
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko M View Post
Yes it is
Congrats on the car, pictures please.
I couldn't stand the sound at all but, it was a easy fix. I changed to full Eisenmann exhaust with lower down pipes
Nice and simple. Black on black. Forgot to mention that this car looks incredible - for me it throws back to some of the great looking BMWs of the past. Purposeful, clean lines. Mean.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      11-29-2018, 09:39 PM   #5
Ryno 27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition, X5 M50i

Great head shot!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 02:18 PM   #6
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

More pics please
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 02:37 PM   #7
tcw495
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Pics look incredible! Need more!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 04:40 PM   #8
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep

Got a couple of projects down. Installed my dashcam, IND painted side markers and disconnected the fake engine sound amplifier. Gave the car a coat of Sonax Spray and Seal.

Car is way quieter without the vroom vroom sounds, but I'd rather it be authentic. IND reflectors were a PITA to install, but the final result looks really good.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rk-d; 12-02-2018 at 06:10 PM..
Appreciate 4
      12-02-2018, 04:54 PM   #9
fstezaws
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 911 S — 2022 X5 M50

I agree 100% that this car is unreal. I’ve had mine a full 30 days now, and posted my write up after 24 hours.

The car gets better and better. Took it out last night and really romped on it. This time I kept the trans in D3 and let it do it’s thing and it was always in the right gear coming out of turns and descents. I’m so impressed by how much better this auto is than the F10 DCT. Car is just amazing. Best part is how you can get the biggest thrill out of a windy canyon, and then press 1 button and it’s so docile. Change up the seat position and it’s a glorious cruiser. Best jekyl and Hyde car ever!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 05:34 PM   #10
zuschnell
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 m5, '18 991.2 gt3,

Car looks great in black and the reflector delete completes the look! Thanks for sharing!

Current: ?13 e92 m3 ESS 585, 22 f95 x5m Comp, Track - '18 manual 991.2 GT3, Wife's family truckster - '20 Volvo XC90 T8
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 05:39 PM   #11
trackday96
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 CS, Porsche 911 GT3 RS

Garage List
2022 BMW M5 CS  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Looks great! The comp wheels on the black body look really nice.

Congrats!
      12-03-2018, 10:04 AM   #12
windtendo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Got a couple of projects down. Installed my dashcam, IND painted side markers and disconnected the fake engine sound amplifier. Gave the car a coat of Sonax Spray and Seal.

Car is way quieter without the vroom vroom sounds, but I'd rather it be authentic. IND reflectors were a PITA to install, but the final result looks really good.
Very cool pictures! How was the install process with the dashcam? What model and do you have some pics of the finished install?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 04:59 PM   #13
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by windtendo View Post
Very cool pictures! How was the install process with the dashcam? What model and do you have some pics of the finished install?
Mounted it on the dot matrix with the lens poking out into the clear part of the windshield. Had to be mounted upside down to do it, but the firmware lets the camera auto flip the videos. Wires are tucked into the headliner all the way to the trunk and I just plugged it into the cigarette jack there. Wires are completely invisible inside the car. Wanted to hardwire it to the trunk fuse board that sits right there, but my Add-a-fuse taps don't want to lock into the BMW fuse board, so I will have to figure that out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 05:43 PM   #14
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Unreal.

Same track, same day runs by vtknight shows the TurboS is 0.1 tenth and 1 mph faster. That’s heads up. How do you compare Noise, vibration and harshness ? Overall comfort ?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 06:16 PM   #15
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Same track, same day runs by vtknight shows the TurboS is 0.1 tenth and 1 mph faster. That’s heads up. How do you compare Noise, vibration and harshness ? Overall comfort ?
The M5 is more isolated - You can hear whistles and blow off like sounds in the Turbo and overall road/tire noise is a higher. The M5 is much quieter. Now that I've disconnected Active Sound, it's that much more quieter. Sometimes I like that. Sometimes I wish it was more extroverted. All that said, the stock Turbo exhaust/engine doesn't sound *great* in general. I don't feel like I'm missing much with the M5 being quieter. In comparison, the GT4 is absolutely beautiful sounding.

Ride quality, from what I remember, is actually pretty similar between the two when in Sport-plus. Comfort in the M5 is definitely more cushy than the Turbo.

The Turbo is a very well engineered car - there aren't any nasty NVH issues. The M5 actually has a little more interior panel rattle than the Porsche.

The Turbo is a great GT car and pretty luxurious feeling for a 911. It's got massive power delivered with refined violence. Think Patrick Bateman in American Psycho. Though the M5 matches the numbers, the Turbo still *feels* more powerful when driving around town (though it has more lag). The complete lack of lag in the M5 is a huge winner for me. The M5 reminds me of James Bond - just as deadly, but in a tux and less unhinged.

So there are pros/cons for each, but these are both absolutely exceptional, epic cars.
Appreciate 1
auggiem3295.00
      12-03-2018, 11:13 PM   #16
stealth70mde
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Quote:
Think Patrick Bateman in American Psycho. Though the M5 matches the numbers, the Turbo still *feels* more powerful when driving around town (though it has more lag). The complete lack of lag in the M5 is a huge winner for me. The M5 reminds me of James Bond - just as deadly, but in a tux and less unhinged.

So there are pros/cons for each, but these are both absolutely exceptional, epic cars.
Liked the Patrick Bateman reference. Awesome movie that also brings me back...
      12-03-2018, 11:49 PM   #17
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The M5 is more isolated - You can hear whistles and blow off like sounds in the Turbo and overall road/tire noise is a higher. The M5 is much quieter. Now that I've disconnected Active Sound, it's that much more quieter. Sometimes I like that. Sometimes I wish it was more extroverted. All that said, the stock Turbo exhaust/engine doesn't sound *great* in general. I don't feel like I'm missing much with the M5 being quieter. In comparison, the GT4 is absolutely beautiful sounding.

Ride quality, from what I remember, is actually pretty similar between the two when in Sport-plus. Comfort in the M5 is definitely more cushy than the Turbo.

The Turbo is a very well engineered car - there aren't any nasty NVH issues. The M5 actually has a little more interior panel rattle than the Porsche.

The Turbo is a great GT car and pretty luxurious feeling for a 911. It's got massive power delivered with refined violence. Think Patrick Bateman in American Psycho. Though the M5 matches the numbers, the Turbo still *feels* more powerful when driving around town (though it has more lag). The complete lack of lag in the M5 is a huge winner for me. The M5 reminds me of James Bond - just as deadly, but in a tux and less unhinged.

Thanks for the review. Very insightful. A Turbo S is still on my radar but the acceleration delta just is not there (yet). I would accept the compromises you listed if it was as fast as a GT2RS.

How would you compare the forward and rearward visibility ?

Also step in, step out access. The M5 kills the ZO6 in these two categories.
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2018, 10:36 AM   #18
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Quote:

Great review, enjoyed reading that. Just awaiting better deals here in the uk, then im in, on the Comp Pack M5.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 12:29 PM   #19
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Thanks for the review. Very insightful. A Turbo S is still on my radar but the acceleration delta just is not there (yet). I would accept the compromises you listed if it was as fast as a GT2RS.

How would you compare the forward and rearward visibility ?

Also step in, step out access. The M5 kills the ZO6 in these two categories.
Visibility is always great in 911s. nice big windows. Not having them side by side - can't really compare the two. The M5 is easier to step out, but the Turbo was pretty easy with the 14 way seats. 18 ways are a little tougher I think.

I think the Turbo is closer to an M5 than it is to a GT2RS.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 02:06 PM   #20
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Thanks again. Turbo S is definitely close to the M5. GT2RS is on another planet. Low 10 second car at 140ish. Almost as quick as a 720S. The new 992 turbo S coming might step it up. Trading a M5 for a 991.2 TurboS for acceleration is a waste. It will have to be GT2RS or 720S acceleration to be an upgrade (for me). Then comfort and NVH comes into the equation.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 04:46 PM   #21
Punitive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

I just got my car yesterday. Absolutely amazing. I am questioning myself why I waited so long to get it. F10 is a dinosaur compared to this thing.

Some here have really high or unrealistic expectations of what they expect from a sedan.

Engine-Amazing the revisions they have done from the F10, it seems like an entirely different engine. The responsiveness, tuning, power curve are amazing.

Transmission-The ZF8 haters can go elsewhere. DCT is a far distant memory. This is probably the biggest improvement on the car. The stop and go clunkiness of the DCT was so annoying that any benefit it gave was forgotten by me. BMW spent a lot of time getting the shift patterns/programs on this and it shows. I can admire Benz making their transmissions in-house, but I think it is time they gave up on MCT.

Chasis-is solid and similar to the F10, squeak free and damping is excellent on everyday crappy roads.

The Bower and Wilkins sound leaves more to be desired, can't believe they can charge this and get away with it. Otherwise, the infotainment is spot on much better and easier to use than the Benz touchpads etc.

Paint-This is the biggest complaint. What is BMW doing, one day old and rock chips already. The carbon fiber splitters are catching the most hell. Why even factory install those without PPF.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 07:18 PM   #22
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C & E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth70mde View Post
Quote:
Think Patrick Bateman in American Psycho. Though the M5 matches the numbers, the Turbo still *feels* more powerful when driving around town (though it has more lag). The complete lack of lag in the M5 is a huge winner for me. The M5 reminds me of James Bond - just as deadly, but in a tux and less unhinged.

Liked the Patrick Bateman reference. Awesome movie that also brings me back...
That makes two of us. Love the American Psycho analogy.
Appreciate 0