BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

BPM

12-24-2014, 09:54 AM   #1
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Hay guys. If you have 4 people getting out of your car try not to use the unlock button while they're furiously yanking on the door handles trying to get out because they've never experienced BMW's lovely double-locking feature before and are confused and annoyed and panicking because they think they're stuck in the car. Otherwise next time YOU'LL be the one stuck in the car.

I came back to go home from work after taking a car full of people to lunch found my car would not unlock any of its doors with the remote. I could hear it trying to lock when using the lock button, but unlocking made no effort on any of the doors. Trunk yes. Windows with fob, yes (didn't think of this until later, could have Duke-boysed it.) Climbed in through trunk (yay folding seats!), hooked up my fancy diagnostic BMWhat app, nothing. Tried coding the lock/access module to cause a reset, nothing. Because BMW, I assumed a module had shat the bed, but luckily my actual car-maintenance skills haven't atrophied completely and I checked the fuses before giving up and selling it after I got home. Ding! Dumbass. Oh, by the way, if this fuse is blown the double locking feature means the actuator will not allow the door to open no matter how many times you yank the handle.

It was fuse #62, a 15-amp mini fuse in the glovebox fusebox. Which by the way is a super annoying place for fuses, especially if you can't open the damn door.

So if all 4 door locks won't unlock, but you can lock the doors and hear the lock function but not unlock clicking, look there first. This concludes the PSA.
      12-24-2014, 08:19 PM   #2
Stainless 45
Captain
Rep
Drives: Last of the V-8 Interceptors

Great safety feature. So your car ends up in a lake, and water gets to the fuses, you can't open the doors? Sweet.
Blue Thunder -2011 LeMans Blue e92 DCT, ZCP, European Delivery. BPM Stage II. Dinan 3.45 Rear. Borla/Encore Innovation Exhaust, LUX Angel Eyes, Forgestar F14's, Turner road armor. "Last of the V-8 Interceptors, a real piece of history..."
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 08:32 PM   #3
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Just make sure you hit the water hard enough to trigger the emergency auto unlock before the water gets to the fuses, lol