BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    UK set and forget tune - best option

02-23-2020, 07:08 AM   #1
RS61
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi RS6

UK set and forget tune - best option

Hey guys,

I'm about to upgrade from a C7 RS6 to a F90 M5C. The audi has had an MTM piggyback and Miktek exhaust since day one, 720 bhp, and has been bulletproof for 6 years straight. I had this done at QST who have done 3 audis for me.

Is there an equivalent (I'm in the UK) for the F90? I live right in the middle of London and so don't have anywhere to do test runs, so any kind of manual tuning and tweaking is out of the question. I just want to take it somewhere, have it upped to the maximum possible stage 1 tune, and leave that as is. So far all I've seen is Evolve who do this and seem to have experience. Is there anyone else in the UK and which is the best?

A related followup question. Are there any power gains from upgrading the exhaust? On the audi there is, but I don't know if the M5C already has what it needs. I'm not keen to change the downpipes to decats as I'd then have to swap them back for each Mot. But I do want to get the maximum possible software tune so totally up for changing the exhaust if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 03:29 PM   #2
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS61 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm about to upgrade from a C7 RS6 to a F90 M5C. The audi has had an MTM piggyback and Miktek exhaust since day one, 720 bhp, and has been bulletproof for 6 years straight. I had this done at QST who have done 3 audis for me.

Is there an equivalent (I'm in the UK) for the F90? I live right in the middle of London and so don't have anywhere to do test runs, so any kind of manual tuning and tweaking is out of the question. I just want to take it somewhere, have it upped to the maximum possible stage 1 tune, and leave that as is. So far all I've seen is Evolve who do this and seem to have experience. Is there anyone else in the UK and which is the best?

A related followup question. Are there any power gains from upgrading the exhaust? On the audi there is, but I don't know if the M5C already has what it needs. I'm not keen to change the downpipes to decats as I'd then have to swap them back for each Mot. But I do want to get the maximum possible software tune so totally up for changing the exhaust if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
The M5C can make 720hp to all 4 wheels with a piggyback alone, no other mods. ECU tunes may yield more. Contact Imran from Evolve to discuss your options on that front.

The piggies don't implicitly kick your warranty to the curb, ECU tunes will—BMW are on top of this now and have their own TD1 equivalent flag of warranty refusal following drivetrain mods.

JB4 and Racechip are the two most popular options for piggies. Evolve and DME are popular in the UK for ECU tunes.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2020, 01:24 PM   #3
DannyA
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C8 RS6

I also went from a C7 RS6 Miltek. So far I have just put a RaceChip on it and in my opinion that is all you need. Make sure you put PS4's on it as well.
2016 F10 M5
2010 C6 RS6

Last edited by DannyA; 02-29-2020 at 09:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 08:42 AM   #4
RS61
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi RS6

Yeah PS4s are a must. The best I could get on the C7 was PSS because of the wheel size.

OK great, thanks everyone, so basically just a RC or JB4 and home install.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 09:26 AM   #5
Nikolov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 F90 M5C, '17 911 TTS

One more vote for Imran at Evolve if you're after an ECU tune. Otherwise a JB4 will probably provide the numbers you're after.