BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Jb4 0-60 times and custom map

02-12-2020, 03:29 PM   #67
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

0-60 is a really difficult measure to base tuning around because stock tuning can run in the 2s also in the right conditions. It's really less about the tuning more about how perfect launch control works and the car hooks.

1/4 mile trap speed or 60-130 is a better measure for tuning but requires a longer track.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 09:14 PM   #68
JBA87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5

I got DME tune now too so I'll test more
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 09:25 PM   #69
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBA87 View Post
I got DME tune now too so I'll test more
WHAT!?! Now you're stacking the tunes?

Are you familiar with the adage, "walk before you run"? You're going too fast, dude (and I don't mean the car ). The incremental steps are necessary to understand what worked and what didn't.

My overbearing attitude (sorry) aside: at least disable or remove the JB4--you are nowhere near needing both unless the JB is purely for logging.
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2020, 09:39 PM   #70
JBA87
Lieutenant
Rep

I just find burgertuning too unresponsive .. they don't even have a phone number

At lease DME got on the phone with me and talked me through some solutions And will assist with some of the custom mapping for map 6 to suit my needs

In my business that's called customer service. I like that

FWIW I logged a 60-130 (admittedly with a horrible launch because my GF called before launching and I accidentally put the car in second before launching) and ran an 8.22, which is a stock time on map 1 after the duty cycle changes

Ignore the early part of the log because that's my idiotic 2nd gear accidental launch control launch

Admittedly, although invalid due to greater than >1% slope, I managed to pull a 2.90 sec 0-60 after the duty cycle changes
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 09:40 PM   #71
JBA87
Lieutenant
Rep

The 0-60 was a separate run from the messed up launch fyi
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 10:21 PM   #72
gpdriver17
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Looks like it's still pulling timing. Did you put in any of the 260GT or octane booster?
2023 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 10:25 PM   #73
JBA87
Lieutenant
Rep

No. I switched back to Map 1 from Map 2 and changed duty bias to 20 per terry

Still on 93
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 10:46 PM   #74
gpdriver17
Lieutenant
Rep

You should try some better gas.

Is anyone doing better than 2.90 0-60 on pump gas? As far as I know everyone in the 2.5-2.7 range is running race gas, octane booster or E30.

Boost + timing = power

You're throwing plenty of boost at it, even before the adjustment you were. You need more timing, which you'll probably get with better gas and a few days or week to adapt to it.
2023 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 11:15 PM   #75
Hockeytyme
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5C

Quote:
The 0-60 was a separate run from the messed up launch fyi
Once you tried the car again with the duty bias changes did you send those logs to Terry? It might need more changes and continue to improve.

Like Limey said, DME is a good tune as well but just make sure you put you JB4 onto map0.

Also, you don't have to start from a dead stop to do a 60-130. As a matter of fact, you should have slightly faster times starting at around 40mph
IG: @hockeytyme All runs on street with no prep on 21 inch wheels and PS4S tires
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 06:00 AM   #76
JBA87
Lieutenant
Rep

I need to re-run.

Apparently Terry wanted me to add 20 to duty cycle across the boar not change to 20 across the board So I'll redo that this morning and relog.

Also, if I can consistently run a 2.90 w this mapping on pump 93 I'd be happy. The issue was the inability to break into the 2s. I was very dissatisfied with consistently run north of 3.2. Meh.

DME is going to help me integrate the two maps using Map 6. But I primarily intend to run DME alone (assuming the tune put down good numbers, which is really all I car about. they claim they put down better times than HCP or evolve even though I don't actually see DME consistently ranking close to them on the dragy leaderboard for stage 1)z I'll likely keep JB4 on Map 0 (instead of the custom Map 6 DME will help me build) or flash DME back to stock with my laptop and simply run JB4 at my leisure. It will also provide for some interesting comparison.

I feel The combo gives flexibility for me and the ability to log still. Plus when I add downpipes I'll have DME to code out the CEL. I'll probably grab bootmod3 too when it's out so I can even switch tuners down the road if I so choose

jA
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 10:20 AM   #77
gpdriver17
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I need to re-run.

Apparently Terry wanted me to add 20 to duty cycle across the boar not change to 20 across the board So I'll redo that this morning and relog.

Also, if I can consistently run a 2.90 w this mapping on pump 93 I'd be happy. The issue was the inability to break into the 2s. I was very dissatisfied with consistently run north of 3.2. Meh.

DME is going to help me integrate the two maps using Map 6. But I primarily intend to run DME alone (assuming the tune put down good numbers, which is really all I car about. they claim they put down better times than HCP or evolve even though I don't actually see DME consistently ranking close to them on the dragy leaderboard for stage 1)z I'll likely keep JB4 on Map 0 (instead of the custom Map 6 DME will help me build) or flash DME back to stock with my laptop and simply run JB4 at my leisure. It will also provide for some interesting comparison.

I feel The combo gives flexibility for me and the ability to log still. Plus when I add downpipes I'll have DME to code out the CEL. I'll probably grab bootmod3 too when it's out so I can even switch tuners down the road if I so choose

jA
The reason for low timing is because the engine is detecting pre-ignition or possible pre-ignition. This is caused by running gas that doesn't have enough octane for the compression ratio you're at. More boost pushes more air into the engine, this increasing the compression ratio. Tuners cannot change these facts. They primarily adjust boost, timing and fuel. As I've already stated you need both timing and boost to get power. You won't get more timing without better fuel. Throwing even more boost at it is only going increase the chance of pre-ignition. Pre-ignition is the main reason for engine failure on these cars. Your engine is clearly asking for better fuel for the amount of boost you're giving it. Everyone here has said it. This quest you're on to go faster with straight pump gas isn't going to end well for you.
2023 Porsche 911 Turbo S

Last edited by gpdriver17; 02-13-2020 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 2
ss_m572.50
      02-13-2020, 03:01 PM   #78
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeytyme View Post
Open up your JB4 and click on "settings"
Then click on "User Adjustment"
On the right had side of this page you will see "Duty Bias". He wants you to add 20 to each number. So if it says 10, 10, 15, 20, 30...
you would change them to read 30, 30, 35, 40, 50...

After you're done click save at the bottom and log some runs and send them back to him.

It's also very hard to tell what your car is doing from 0-60 runs. It's much better to do 4th gear pulls or 60-130 runs as there is much less variables to consider.
OP read the posts in your own damn thread. It seems you have no idea what you're doing and you're gonna blow your motor or trans, or diff trying to launch the car 20 times a day, every day. Take your car into a shop familiar with the JB4 and let them fix your car, Hockey explained how to change the duty cycles and you just set them all to 20, jesus fucking christ.
Appreciate 2
      02-13-2020, 07:49 PM   #79
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

Everything I've seen looks fine on the logs, although you only added one cylinder to your photo above so I can't see it all. Most people run best with the default JB4 settings so not sure what you're trying to do here? You're asking for our help here to customize your settings and then you say it's way too much work for you to customize things? Then run the default settings and enjoy?
Appreciate 1
MNoob1539.50
      02-13-2020, 07:56 PM   #80
JBA87
Lieutenant
Rep

Everyone is so sensitive here

I've switched everything back to map 1 / default settings on JB4 for now.

I'm not launching 20 times a day.

It's been maybe 3x a day for last few days .

DME is going on tomorrow and I'll switch JB4 to map 0, and let DME handle the calibration for a map 6

This stuff is beyond my level of expertise

I wish Jb4 provided a basic user manual / guide with their product and had a telephone number / technicians available to help new users

In any event, I'll get the DME basic 93 octane map

I'll test that out for a little

If I still am not satisfied, then I'll start messing with the fuel mixture to increase the timing for more power

But ideally I simply want a good 93 octane map since that's what I'm using the car for .. I don't intend to frequently mix boostane, ethanol or race gas

Just want to pump and go 95% of the time

With that said .. let's see how the DME performs without any changes in fuel mix and testing (but I really need to read up on everything before doing that)

And then I'll start tinkering w fuel

I appreciate everyone's feedback

Still think the car is a little slow for stock / map 1 on 93 octane .. I get that better fuel will increase power .. but this still doesn't seem to answer my main question: why are the times weak relative to other cars on pump gas w similar mods
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 08:02 PM   #81
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

we'll see how fast she is on Saturday.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 08:05 PM   #82
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
It's not sensitivity, it's irritation...FuelIt explained why.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 08:09 PM   #83
JBA87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel-It! View Post
Everything I've seen looks fine on the logs, although you only added one cylinder to your photo above so I can't see it all. Most people run best with the default JB4 settings so not sure what you're trying to do here? You're asking for our help here to customize your settings and then you say it's way too much work for you to customize things? Then run the default settings and enjoy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel-It! View Post
In fairness, I'm not sure what I'm trying to accomplish with JB4 other than to get good times . I came from Audi, and tuning was simple with just a full ECU flash that appear to provide good consistent power, and times that matches the tuners advertised numbers on pump gas.

I was hoping / expecting for consistent sub 3 second times on 0-60 with JB4 Map 1 or Map 2 (given what I saw on dragy) but wasn't getting near those times st first. Thus, I figured I needed a custom mapping, and the guidance from people who are more experienced with tinkering with the mapping than I(admittedly, I have no idea how all of that works)... but JB4 is apparently much more complicated than I thought. It's strengths are clearly intended for an advanced user .. but I find that there is very limited customer support / guidance for a new user to learn the in and outs of the system.

While I could spend the time to learn all this, I feel like it might takes months and months of study to get "good." And I want something more immediate currrently (like the easy plug and play of Audi).

I'd like to learn the JB4 system, but I would really need someone available to chat on the phone to tinker with it together so I could learn directly from someone knowledgeable.

Shit .. I didn't even know how to change the duty cycle (I'm obviously in over my head here)

In any event, DME will be easier for me I think, and I can let them mess with the system

The Jb4 is cool and I'll probably keep it to experiment with overtime

I still think my car has some performance weakness from the factory

And all this chatter about the car having low timing makes me wonder if it's not just a fuel issue

No one has seemed to answe why the timing on my map 0 is so low too .. everyone says "fuel" but that implies that bmw did not intent for pump gas to be in the car , no? Or is the timing on pump gas similar to others experience on a stock file ?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 08:21 PM   #84
gpdriver17
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No one has seemed to answe why the timing on my map 0 is so low too .. everyone says "fuel" but that implies that bmw did not intent for pump gas to be in the car , no? Or is the timing on pump gas similar to others experience on a stock file ?
The timing on map 0 was likely low because you made those logs after a map 2 run. The car will slowly try to increase the timing (over a period of several drives) and back it off any time it detects a knock or thinks it did.

We aren't sensitive. But we tell you to try better fuel, you say ok, then post more logs the next day with 93. Again we say try better fuel, you say ok, then post logs with 93 again the next day. Again we said better fuel, and you just don't seem to listen so I don't know what you expect us to do.

Who here are you referring to that has posted good times on pump gas? I don't know of anyone. I'm not running pump, FloridaM5 , Hockeytyme , limeypride and the times posted on BMS's website, all are not running straight pump gas either.

If there's an E85 station near you, it's pretty easy to just throw in a few gallons of that with every fill up. You're really at a dead end on pump gas though. You can try all the tunes you want, none of them are going to safely get you where you want to be. It's much easier to at least try better gas once and see if that's your problem then to try different tunes and tell us you don't think gas is your problem.
2023 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2020, 08:25 PM   #85
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

Quote:
Sound like a smart dude calling people sensitive that are trying to stop you from blowing your motor. We really don't care to see 30 new posts from some noob blaming BMS and the JB4 platform after your car kabooms when you are clearly "in over your head." Like i said, Hockey literally posted what to do to change the duty cycle and you just ignored his post and set it to 20, imagine if you set it all to 2020. If you're not sure about something, just don't do it the Florida way, just wait, be patient and you would get answers and help from BMS and the sensitive forum community
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 08:27 PM   #86
JBA87
Lieutenant
Rep

I'll try the better gas (in fact is intended to this weekend). But I ask you this: Do you think the Map 1 JB4 should not be able to put down a 2.8 sec on pump? I would have thought that that would have been pretty easy. So I was just taken aback by the fact that it's been so challenging to do thatZ

Also, Isn't the HCP time on dragy on Costco 93 or is that just BS.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 08:33 PM   #87
JBA87
Lieutenant
Rep

I didn't ignore his post

What happened is I turned on the JB4 after reading his post while in the house (not connected to the car) so I could examine the "default settings," which were all set to 0. So I added 20 to 0, and said ok "when I connect I'll do 20 across the board." What I came to learn, however, after talking w Terry is that the defaults don't populate until the car is Connected. So the default duty cycle curve I saw when reviewing hockeyes post was not correct. In effect, I added 20 to the wrong numbers (because they hadn't populated) not because I disregarded his guidance
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 09:00 PM   #88
Hockeytyme
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5C

Quote:
I didn't ignore his post

What happened is I turned on the JB4 after reading his post while in the house (not connected to the car) so I could examine the "default settings," which were all set to 0. So I added 20 to 0, and said ok "when I connect I'll do 20 across the board." What I came to learn, however, after talking w Terry is that the defaults don't populate until the car is Connected. So the default duty cycle curve I saw when reviewing hockeyes post was not correct. In effect, I added 20 to the wrong numbers (because they hadn't populated) not because I disregarded his guidance
Fair enough, and I can see how that mistake can happen.

Just for your reference so you can compare. I have kept a log on a notepad of all my cars times with the DA, mods, maps, etc. so you can get an idea of what is expected. I logged 0-60, 1/4, and 60-130's. But, here is the 0-60 and 1/4 mile comparisons with just the JB4 so you can get an idea of what to expect. Keep in mind, I'm a professional.. lol

Completely Stock: DA 2673 3.08 10.79
Intake and exhaust: DA 2023 2.82 10.63
Downpipes Jb4map1: DA 2673 2.75 10.42
MS101 and JB4map2: DA 1505 2.55 10.15
MS109 and JB4Map6: DA 1096 2.54 10.05

I believe that map1 was toned down a bit in the new firmware.

I did this over many weeks and a ton of logs doing mainly 60-130 runs. Once the logs looked as good as we could get them I would then make the fuel a little better and try 1/4 mile runs.

JB4 is a powerful tool but it takes time to get what you want out of it. Also, the mods make a big difference as you can see. However, with zero mods Limey was able to get a 10.33 with just JB4 and some octane booster.

I get that it's a lot of work and not for most people. I think you'll be happy with the DME tune as it's flashed and you're done
IG: @hockeytyme All runs on street with no prep on 21 inch wheels and PS4S tires

Last edited by Hockeytyme; 02-13-2020 at 09:06 PM..
Appreciate 0