BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    M5 Competition question???

10-15-2019, 02:23 PM   #89
luca09
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Alright, looks like I have to find a tuner who will make a software tune in order to get the burbles/crackles back.

Now the question is if it is somehow possible to get the pre july 2020 software and install it to the car, as I want the stock crackles/burbles from the car and not sonething else..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 04:32 PM   #90
Nikolov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 F90 M5C, '17 911 TTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by luca09 View Post
Alright, looks like I have to find a tuner who will make a software tune in order to get the burbles/crackles back.

Now the question is if it is somehow possible to get the pre july 2020 software and install it to the car, as I want the stock crackles/burbles from the car and not sonething else..
I think it should be possible, yes, but that would still count as an ECU flash and void your warranty. Might as well go with a proper tune.
      10-18-2019, 03:49 AM   #91
luca09
Enlisted Member
Rep

Maybe there is a solution: Talked to a local tuner today. He said he can possibly bring back the sound effects (crackles, grumble). I'm not an ecu tune expert but in his opinion there somewhere seems to be a so called „back-to-stock" button which will bring back the old software of the pre July 2019 production modell. Hope somebody can say something to that.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 10:49 AM   #92
luca09
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian335xd View Post
Quote:
Not sure if a new exhaust or a new ecu will bring back the crackles and Pops ..
I have been looking on the BMW ETK parts catalogue and cars with and without the crackles have the same part numbers for the complete exhaust system including the PPF so I guess it must be a software change.
Im not sure about that.. just found a video of an EU-Car with Id7. It doesn't seem like a simple ecu change to me, there are not just missing crackles and pops even the overall sound seems much quieter. Compared to the EU id6 car there is a lot noise and aggressiveness missing. I'm wondering if thats possible just with an ecu change.. In my opinion they changed something in the exhaust maybe a larger GPF or something.

Can somebody confirm that these two models share the same exhaust, like Ian335xd did?

Eu Car with Id7:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...;v=QteqJGJEIpg

Eu car with ID6, watch from 1:12min:
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 10:03 AM   #93
nlaak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M5

Quote:
Im not sure about that.. just found a video of an EU-Car with Id7. It doesn't seem like a simple ecu change to me, there are not just missing crackles and pops even the overall sound seems much quieter. Compared to the EU id6 car there is a lot noise and aggressiveness missing. I'm wondering if thats possible just with an ecu change.. In my opinion they changed something in the exhaust maybe a larger GPF or something.

Can somebody confirm that these two models share the same exhaust, like Ian335xd did?

Eu Car with Id7:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=QteqJGJEIpg

Eu car with ID6, watch from 1:12min:
They might have locked the exhaust valves closed.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 08:52 AM   #94
Br0adSw0rd
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGillies View Post
MSX, All, the bottom line is that the 2020 regulations have necessitated the inclusion of a PPF which is not compatible with the Competition exhaust so in effect it renders it useless and the sound is equivalent to the standard irrespective of M2 mode.

However due to timing and the fact I am one of the people who test drove several cars that did have the pop's and bangs etc... and this being a contributor to the purchase decision I have taken a video of a Sytner Nottingham car with modes and noise impact (standard to M2) and believe that BMW have a case to answer for misrepresentation. The competition pack includes an M Performance exhaust which is a cost within the pack price, so either they have to "fix" my car (I do not think they will) or at very least compensate me for the difference.

In 3 months time as people drive the new 2020 model and experience the quieter exhaust and continue to advance to order they will not have a case however at this moment of change there is an opportunity to push BMW.

Impossible to deal direct with BMW so I have my dealer principle involved, however I have had to use very formal legal language to drive action. I have also withheld payment for my running in service until a resolve is achieved.

It is fair to say the dealer is also unhappy as they were not made a ware and have used the noise to sell this car since its release so they do have skin in the game!

More to come as this unfolds, however suffice to say I am extremely disappointed.
Hi DGillies - I'm also in the same position. Picked up my M5 Comp (2020 build) last week and the exhaust is muted. Following your thread I've also put in a letter (email) of complaint into BMW UK in the hope they do something. I don't think they'll be able to fix the issue (aka make it sound like I expected it to) but its worth a shot. The more people complain it may add extra weight I suppose....

...I suspect I'll be searching around for a SW mod for the extra squirts of fuel.. and/or a new back box...

Very annoying as otherwise a very happy customer.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 10:00 AM   #95
DGillies
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Comp. MBB

Br0adSw0rd: I certainly feel the pain, please keep pushing BMW, the more people complain the more likely they are to find a resolve. I am chasing daily however so far have nothing from BMW, Sytner Nottingham are doing the chasing.

Interestingly Sytners are working hard as they have 5 customers in the same position as myself all of whom ordered the car after driving the Sytner demo model. One client ordered an M5 (non-comp) and paid for the MPE and is devastated, I feel the same as the car is not the same without the improved noise.

What made it worse was Sytner Nottingham gave me their car for two weeks while they were trying to resolve my own, it had the MPE and sounded fantastic so it was a "look what you could of had" moment!

Keep pushing BMW, please keep complaining!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 10:51 AM   #96
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Br0adSw0rd: I certainly feel the pain, please keep pushing BMW, the more people complain the more likely they are to find a resolve. I am chasing daily however so far have nothing from BMW, Sytner Nottingham are doing the chasing.

Interestingly Sytners are working hard as they have 5 customers in the same position as myself all of whom ordered the car after driving the Sytner demo model. One client ordered an M5 (non-comp) and paid for the MPE and is devastated, I feel the same as the car is not the same without the improved noise.

What made it worse was Sytner Nottingham gave me their car for two weeks while they were trying to resolve my own, it had the MPE and sounded fantastic so it was a "look what you could of had" moment!

Sorry to say.............. nothing is going to change as new rules if you like came from these EU layabouts reducing Noise levels in exhaust systems.
This applies to ALL new cars in the EU. BMW UK can do nout.
      10-22-2019, 12:32 PM   #97
luca09
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hey Ian335xd
I remember you wrote that the particulate filters haven't changed between id6 and Id7 version, is that right ?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 03:27 AM   #98
Ian335xd
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5 2019

Quote:
Hey Ian335xd
I remember you wrote that the particulate filters haven't changed between id6 and Id7 version, is that right ?
Yes that's right I have checked 3 or 4 cars before and after the id6 and id7 versions and there exhaust and particulate filters are the same part numbers.I have access to ETK parts look up which is what the main dealers use
Appreciate 1
luca094.00
      10-23-2019, 06:36 AM   #99
Br0adSw0rd
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Quote:

Just checking.. have you had your running in service yet? If yes, has this made a difference to the sound?

Seems this is purely a SW change rather than anything hardware..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 07:35 AM   #100
luca09
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0adSw0rd View Post
Quote:

Just checking.. have you had your running in service yet? If yes, has this made a difference to the sound?

Seems this is purely a SW change rather than anything hardware..
Don't think a software change can quieten the overall sound of an engine.. you can for example quieten the cold start or deactivate pops and bangs, but not the overall sound.

For me the reason for the quieter overall sound could be the fact the valves are closed. So the problem should be fixed with a manual valve control

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...;v=QteqJGJEIpg
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 10:45 AM   #101
Mightyhoof
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 COMP

Garage List
2019 BMW M5  [0.00]
I can confirm NO crackles even after the runin period......M5 comp 14 days old. Sad AF.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 03:00 AM   #102
Mightyhoof
Private
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M5  [0.00]
Guys do you think they "blocked" it on software or hardware level?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 03:03 AM   #103
Nikolov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 F90 M5C, '17 911 TTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyhoof View Post
It's probably software, related to the ECU map.
      10-24-2019, 03:51 AM   #104
UC
Rep
Drives: F90

The valves definitely open and close so this is not the issue. I would say the exhaust isn't any quieter or louder but is actually beefier/deeper in tone than pre iDrive 7. The pops/bangs/burbles have been totally removed though.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 04:06 AM   #105
luca09
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UC View Post
The valves definitely open and close so this is not the issue. I would say the exhaust isn't any quieter or louder but is actually beefier/deeper in tone than pre iDrive 7. The pops/bangs/burbles have been totally removed though.
But they didn't change anything in hardware, exhaust and gpf are exactly the same. How come that the overall sound sounds different than pre id7?? It must be identical because you can not change the sound via software, you can only get rid of sound effects (crackles ..) with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 04:36 AM   #106
UC
Rep
Drives: F90

It doesn't make sense I agree but the sound is definitely different in tone. Less raspy and more throaty. I compared with a 2019 side by side. Both non comp with M sport exhausts. I should have filmed it
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 06:07 AM   #107
Mightyhoof
Private
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UC View Post
It doesn't make sense I agree but the sound is definitely different in tone. Less raspy and more throaty. I compared with a 2019 side by side. Both non comp with M sport exhausts. I should have filmed it
So in your opinion what is the cause?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 06:10 AM   #108
powerenhancer
Private
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Software. They are artificially created via the overrun map. More and more manufacturers are toning them down or removing them completely due to:

A. Noise restrictions and

B. Potential damage to the particulate filter/s.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 06:27 AM   #109
Mightyhoof
Private
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerenhancer View Post
Software. They are artificially created via the overrun map. More and more manufacturers are toning them down or removing them completely due to:

A. Noise restrictions and

B. Potential damage to the particulate filter/s.
So without accessing ECU and subsequently voiding the warranty you cant do anything?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 06:30 AM   #110
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
So without accessing ECU and subsequently voiding the warranty you cant do anything?
Correct this is how it's going be whatever car you buy.................. like it...no way............. we have to lump it.
Luckily my 2019 (March) F90 Comp has a nice sound.