BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    M5 Competition question???

09-14-2019, 07:49 PM   #23
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
Can't say I ever heard of that 🤔
Long thread; heard of what?
Car being miss programmed
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 10:09 AM   #24
DGillies
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Comp. MBB

The saga continues, BMW have now had my car for 10 days and responded with BMW have changed the 2020 model which has removed the "M Competition" model being shown on start up and quietened the exhaust due to the addition of a fuel filter.

I feel as though they have just fobbed me off with the easy answer, have BMW made such a change? Any comments from the members on this? Anyone experiencing the same of a 2020 car with the new live dashboard and delivered in the last 4 weeks??
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 02:20 PM   #25
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGillies View Post
The saga continues, BMW have now had my car for 10 days and responded with BMW have changed the 2020 model which has removed the "M Competition" model being shown on start up and quietened the exhaust due to the addition of a fuel filter.

I feel as though they have just fobbed me off with the easy answer, have BMW made such a change? Any comments from the members on this? Anyone experiencing the same of a 2020 car with the new live dashboard and delivered in the last 4 weeks??
My dashboard is Live Cockpit but I most certainly have the pops and bangs. What's your car's build date?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 02:48 PM   #26
Ryno 27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition, X5 M50i

I have a 2020, and just a ///M logo on the startup splash screen.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 03:13 PM   #27
DGillies
United Kingdom
Rep

My build date is late July / early August 2019, delivered September 1st with live cockpit and pretty quiet exhaust. There is no impact on the exhaust note when selecting M2 mode which is set to maximum in all aspects. I am currently driving a 2019 model year demonstrator (while BMW have mine) and it sounds incredible!

BMW are stating there was a build change in in July and claim the competition now has the "M" logo on the dashboard on start up (in place of the "M Competition") and the exhaust note is quietened due to the addition of an inline fuel particulate filter that stops un-burnt fuel in the exhaust which was used to create the pop's and bangs. Finding it very difficult to believe BMW would change the noise of the comp given how well it was received. My car sounds muted and frankly a bit dull.

I have also checked the BMW web page and when describing the competition they no longer reference the sports exhaust!

Appreciate anyone's guidance on this, I feel a little broken!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 03:19 PM   #28
M135iXdriver
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competiton
Location: Northwestern Switzerland veeeeery close to the German Autobahn

Quote:
My build date is late July / early August 2019, delivered September 1st with live cockpit and pretty quiet exhaust. There is no impact on the exhaust note when selecting M2 mode which is set to maximum in all aspects. I am currently driving a 2019 model year demonstrator (while BMW have mine) and it sounds incredible!

BMW are stating there was a build change in in July and claim the competition now has the "M" logo on the dashboard on start up (in place of the "M Competition") and the exhaust note is quietened due to the addition of an inline fuel particulate filter that stops un-burnt fuel in the exhaust which was used to create the pop's and bangs. Finding it very difficult to believe BMW would change the noise of the comp given how well it was received. My car sounds muted and frankly a bit dull.

I have also checked the BMW web page and when describing the competition they no longer reference the sports exhaust!

In Switzerland they still refer to the M sport exhaust. You can have it as an option for the M and it comes as standard for the M competition.
2010 - Mazda 3 MPS BL 2.3 (256 bhp) (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 03:25 AM   #29
DGillies
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
My dashboard is Live Cockpit but I most certainly have the pops and bangs. What's your car's build date?
Limeypride, can you confirm if you have the "M" logo only on start up or if you have the "M" logo with COMPETITION underneath it on the main dashboard (behind steering wheel) for the few seconds on start up.

You seem to have the correct exhaust note so can you share your build date and chassis number which I can use to reference?

Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 07:04 AM   #30
StevenJMenna
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M5

I have a 2020 Comp received last month. Just "M" logo on mine. Exhaust sounds great on my end with plenty of crackle with sport+
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 07:08 AM   #31
StevenJMenna
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M5

Have a 35 JAHRE coming in a couple weeks too. Will take note of this thread and respond with what I see on that one and inquire.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 08:32 AM   #32
Ian335xd
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5 2019

Quote:

I bought a new M5 (Non Comp)last week with the new dash and sports exhaust and my car makes no pop and bangs, I test drove a M5 with the sports exhaust and the noise from the exhaust was fantastic.
I have looked into the petrol particulate filter and from what I can see on BMW's part catalogue the car I test drove has the same filters fitted as mine and I was led to believe that these filters have been fitted for sometime.

I am like you I am really disappointed and has been a waste of money paying extra for the sports exhaust.

Please let me know how you get on with BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 08:58 AM   #33
Ian335xd
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5 2019

I have checking some M5's from the BMW website and I checked the earliest car listed(build date 12/12/17) and that doesn't have a PPF fitted,I then checked another(build date 09/04/18) and that does have a PPF and to confirm this the emissions levels changed as well, from 241 to 246 with the PPF fitted.

So I am not sure when they were fitted from but I would guess in between the above dates.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 10:42 AM   #34
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Limeypride, can you confirm if you have the "M" logo only on start up or if you have the "M" logo with COMPETITION underneath it on the main dashboard (behind steering wheel) for the few seconds on start up.

You seem to have the correct exhaust note so can you share your build date and chassis number which I can use to reference?

Thank you in advance.
Just the M logo.

VIN WBSJF0C07LB448803
Prod. Date 2019-07-02
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 01:21 PM   #35
DGillies
United Kingdom
Rep

Limeypride, Ian335xd, Thank you for the information it is very helpful. I will keep you both posted on how this situation develops.

Today I wrote a formal letter of complaint to BMW requesting a formal written statement to reflect BMW's perspective on the respective changes and impact to the cars performance and exhaust note. I suggested BMW should be comfortable to stand behind their written statement if a legal situation were to develop.

This seems to have changed things a little and they have re-engaged to try and find a resolution! I also located a competition car in Sytner Sheffield built in August 2019 (3 weeks after my own car) which has the exhaust note, I took a video of the car, chassis number and build date which really blew their position out of the water given they were made on the same production line 3 weeks apart.

Let's see, I feel really uncomfortable with Sytner Nottingham and how they have handled it. I believe they have tried a few standard things and then communicated what was they thought would be the easiest way out, not acceptable!

More to come.
Appreciate 1
limeypride4418.50
      10-08-2019, 11:26 PM   #36
Jakerx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp

None of the 2020 M5 Comp models say "Competition" during startup.

Have you tried revving the engine in Sport Plus mode with the exhaust button activated (green light on) to get the sound for which you're looking?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 12:32 AM   #37
Burnsey
Just A Regular Guy
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition X-Drive

Garage List
DGillies, would you share (by PM?) the contact used at BMW UK to instil a response please?

I have an issue, dealt with poorly by the dealer, but getting to the right department at BMW seems elusive.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 03:37 AM   #38
Iben
Registered
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

This looks and feels like the new EU-regulations for 2020 cars (noise) and since you cold buy 2020 model cars in late 2019 they could be effected.
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2019, 09:29 AM   #39
M135iXdriver
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competiton
Location: Northwestern Switzerland veeeeery close to the German Autobahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iben View Post
This looks and feels like the new EU-regulations for 2020 cars (noise) and since you cold buy 2020 model cars in late 2019 they could be effected.
You are right! Take a look at the M8 review from carwow. There they do mention this. Bangs and pops are gone! They could at least code an option for non EU members with bangs and pops.
2010 - Mazda 3 MPS BL 2.3 (256 bhp) (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 04:04 PM   #40
bradleyjs
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5B, 2006 E60 550i

Garage List
Quote:
Just took delivery (1st Sept.) of my M5 Comp. still running in with 500 miles to date, however I note when I start the car the dashboard shows an "M" logo only and does not have the "M" with COMPETITION written below it, why would be this be on a competition car?

Every other competition car I have seen welcomes you with the M logo underneath which is the word competition, seems to make sense on a competition variant.

Also my exhaust seems quiet, no crackles, pop's or bangs as per the many YouTube reviews out there. Am I to assume both issues wll be addressed at the running in service (1200 miles)?

Can anyone comment or help clarify, should I challenge my dealer on this or not?
The logo can be coded. There are a list of options to choose from allowing you to select which one you want. The Carly BMW tool has the options.

I have the M5B (Base) so I’m sure about the Comp logo.

Via Carly for BMW:

iDrive start logo
• BMW Connected Drive (Version 1)
• BMW Connected Drive (Version 2)
• M Performance
• Alpina Tuning
• BMW i
• BMW white
• BMW brown
• Mini
• Rolls Royce
• BMW Christmas
Logo that is displayed when starting the iDrive system. (codable in NBT)
iDrive start animated
• not animated
• animated
• black screen
Logo that is displayed when starting the iDrive system is animated. Alternatively a black screen without any logo can be displayed. (codable in NBT)

http://support.mycarly.com/knowledge...n=home#acc-561

Last edited by bradleyjs; 10-10-2019 at 03:29 AM.. Reason: Added URL
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 09:53 PM   #41
vtknight
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Competition

Wow - what a turn! I started reading this and went from; that's strange, to you're kidding? to @#!! I do not want to add to your stress - but you are very much correct to go after BMW to make it right. So bizarre that they would add all of these changes and not make any of it public.

Sorry this is happening to the 2020 owners.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 10:29 PM   #42
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtknight View Post
Wow - what a turn! I started reading this and went from; that's strange, to you're kidding? to @#!! I do not want to add to your stress - but you are very much correct to go after BMW to make it right. So bizarre that they would add all of these changes and not make any of it public.

Sorry this is happening to the 2020 owners.
Not me thus far but my appointment tomorrow at BMW Bellevue includes a software upgrade across the entire car—that ain't happening.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 09:24 AM   #43
Nikolov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 F90 M5C, '17 911 TTS

I have an EU 2019 Comp (build date is 7/2018), which has the PPF and I have the pops and bangs.

I was looking to install the MPE on my car and found out that it's not compatible with cars that have the PPF. Also it's only offered in the US and BMW do not allow retailers to ship it outside of the US (got that information from getbmwparts.com). According to realoem.com the MPE is compatible with cars with build date up to 03/2019. I'm assuming that US cars built after 03/2019 have the PPF installed. Still, that shouldn't remove the pops and bangs, although it did for the X3/4 M, so who knows...

Perhaps getting some information from BMW themselves would be the best approach.
      10-10-2019, 10:20 AM   #44
Ryno 27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition, X5 M50i

I have a 2020 competition and had the MPE installed at the port...sounds AMAZING
Appreciate 0