BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls    DIY Oil Change with some photos

09-17-2019, 11:52 AM   #23
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm5bullit View Post
I like the post and the information. I happen to be lucky enough to have a lift at my house as I have been building hot rods since I started to drive. My M is always on the lift for different reasons but my favorite is to put it on the lift for doing cosmetic work. Claybar, ceramic coat, etc.
My original text said....

"Unless your mad, good set of ramps. I have seen videos of people doing this kind of work on Jacks and/or Jack Stands. D'ooh. And I have had patients in the Trauma Bay who did this kind of work on Jacks and/or Jack stands. If you have a lift, YOU SUCK, JK"

But I removed that as it was insensitive. I'd joke about getting a lift just to make waxing it easier. LMAO.

I want a lift dam it. My prior house (custom) had 12 foot hight ceiling in the garage, three bays, extra wide and deep with concrete pad in middle bay thickened for a lift.....but moved....current house does not have the height. Dam it. LOL.

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 01:08 PM   #24
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
That is why I have the plants under the ramps, it adds 3 inches of height and a more gradual approach. I did it for my RS6 as that was lower than the M5. Works great. And because the ramps are captivated on the boards, the ramps don't move as you pull up them.

Mike
Those ramps remind me of my VAG days when dealer service was a crap shoot. got fed up and built my own service ramps and just bought all of the tools over the years. always found a reason to get under the car. Thanks for the oil service light info. that could save trip if the tech forgets to do it.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 01:15 PM   #25
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
I want a lift dam it. My prior house (custom) had 12 foot hight ceiling in the garage, three bays, extra wide and deep with concrete pad in middle bay thickened for a lift.....but moved....current house does not have the height. Dam it. LOL.
I would love to have a proper lift, but didn't plan for it when I built the house I'm now in. But the QuickJack BL-6000XLT is a big help when I need to get under the car for an oil change, or whatever. It gets the car 20" off the floor and that's adequate for the sort of maintenance or mods a home owner is likely to do. I've made reference to QJ a few times on this forum, but I'm really not a shill for the company, just like their product. They're at quick jack.com if you want to see it.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 01:45 PM   #26
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
I would love to have a proper lift, but didn't plan for it when I built the house I'm now in. But the QuickJack BL-6000XLT is a big help when I need to get under the car for an oil change, or whatever. It gets the car 20" off the floor and that's adequate for the sort of maintenance or mods a home owner is likely to do. I've made reference to QJ a few times on this forum, but I'm really not a shill for the company, just like their product. They're at quick jack.com if you want to see it.
I have been eying those, but did not pull the trigger. LOL

Mike

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 07:20 PM   #27
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Need For Speed View Post

We hire others to screw them in, Sparky.

Hilarious....the guy with no M5 has to chime in every time....go oil your bicycle, Trevor.

dealer is doing it.
Appreciate 2
      09-18-2019, 12:18 PM   #28
Next Phase
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Thanks for the write up, I do all my own maintenance and also plan to handle my own oil changes for the BMW.

Typically change my oil every 4k miles for the daily drivers. I change oil after every track day also on the track cars.

(I have a lift, so that makes the job a little easier / enjoyable.)
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 05:22 PM   #29
GaGolfer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 - Singapore Gray

Thanks as well for the writeup.

Good taste in vehicles! I have the 2019 M5 & the wife has a 2017 Q7.

Mike
Appreciate 1
Aronis2267.00
      09-25-2019, 04:46 PM   #30
bm5bullit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Quote:
My original text said....

"Unless your mad, good set of ramps. I have seen videos of people doing this kind of work on Jacks and/or Jack Stands. D'ooh. And I have had patients in the Trauma Bay who did this kind of work on Jacks and/or Jack stands. If you have a lift, YOU SUCK, JK"

But I removed that as it was insensitive. I'd joke about getting a lift just to make waxing it easier. LMAO.

Mike
No worries. But yes, I have a 3 car garage and a separate garage with a 12 foot ceiling height in that one - designed with the lift in mind. I will post a quick pic as soon as I get a chance.
2020 Chev. ZR2 Bison truck, Daily Driver
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 07:34 PM   #31
Stealth7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: No BMWs Right Now!

Quote:
Hello, just finished my F90 oil change. It took me about 2 hours due to set up, work, clean up, etc.

Oil Filter is passenger side, drain plug driver's side at rear of engine. Easy to get at each without removing anything, which is very nice. Good clear drainage from each sight also, but a little splash spill as you pull the filter housing off.

Items needed.

Unless your mad, good set of ramps. I have seen videos of people doing this kind of work on Jacks and/or Jack Stands. D'ooh. And I have had patients in the Trauma Bay who did this kind of work on Jacks and/or Jack stands. I wish I had a lift.

8 MM Allen Wrench (I used a small hand held one but had to back it up with a wrench since it was very tight) and picked up an 8 mm Allen socket when I ran to pick up the adjustable filter wrench. The one I had already was the smaller version...d'ooh.

86 mm socket for the oil filter is preferred, I used the adjustable one as I could not find an 86 mm one locally, that is coming in 2 days from Amazon for the next oil change. I should have bought it with the oil kit from ECS but thought I could get one locally. But no.

Oil Filter with o-ring and seal for oil pan plug. ECS sent kit with Oil, filter, and new oil pan plug. Was $152 shipped. It came with 11 Liters, but the car calls for 10 Liters. I think ECS was thinking 10.6 QUARTS, so they sent 11 bottles which are liters. So I have extra. LOL.

The drain plug is under a nice cover. Comes off with a quick twist. The filter housing kind of looks like there is supposed to be a cover over that also, perhaps someone can peak at their's and let me know.

Torque specs for drain plug 25 NM (18 ftlbs) and the same for the filter housing, which is basically hand tight.

The filter housing had about a 1/2 liter of oil in it when I took it off, maybe close to 3/4, so be careful, and let it drain inverted before pulling the filter cartridge out or it is messy.

I have to go for a ride (30 minutes)before I can check the oil level. I put in 9.5 liters and have the other 500 ml waiting as I did not want to overfill.

Mike
Great thread and photos. I used your pictures to order my oil filters from BMW.

Do you happen to know the part number or model number of the 0-30 W Mobil 1 oil that could be used as OEM? For example, does it have or require dexos to? Again, thanks for the great work!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 04:51 PM   #32
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

I ordered the oil and filter from ECS tuning. They sent this oil and I used it.

The car calls for a particular type. Longlife 01 FE But I would doubt anyone at the BMW shop actually looks that closely. LOL.

The Longlife 01 is not quite the same for fuel efficiency standards, but is fine to use. The grade 5W-30, 0W-30, etc, is your call.

My intent is to source the Longlife 01FE in the future and use that. I don't want to quibble over a few bucks. I will be interested to see what oil they actual use at my next 'on them' service in the spring.
I want to see the bottle!

Mike
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 05:31 PM   #33
marcvtec
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

Nice Thread !

We did an oil change at my indy shop.
Agree 9.5 litres is the perfect amount.
We also took down the aluminum pan around the filter as some spilled in there while removing the filter, unless you put some rags in the al housing area.
I use redline 0w30 LL01. motor purrs after.
I also do mine every 5,000 KM. I like clean oil.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 08:20 PM   #34
Stealth7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: No BMWs Right Now!

When I checked the vehicle's Owner's manual in terms of type of oil, it specified simply 0 – 30 W synthetic oil. From other vehicles I note that the newer oils have been adding Dexos 2. The manual also says to contact the dealer if you want more information.

Today I contacted the dealer for more information. The dealer checked with the shop foreman who indicated that any full synthetic 0 – 30w oil will be fine. He indicated that the dealership uses shell purchased in bulk. Interesting given the references to BMW long life oil, etc.

Accordingly, I will get some mobile one full synthetic 0-30 w which indicates that it is compatible with my vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 06:03 AM   #35
cream
Private
Rep
Drives: 19' BSM M5

Quote:
Hello, just finished my F90 oil change. It took me about 2 hours due to set up, work, clean up, etc.

Oil Filter is passenger side, drain plug driver's side at rear of engine. Easy to get at each without removing anything, which is very nice. Good clear drainage from each sight also, but a little splash spill as you pull the filter housing off.

Items needed.

Unless your mad, good set of ramps. I have seen videos of people doing this kind of work on Jacks and/or Jack Stands. D'ooh. And I have had patients in the Trauma Bay who did this kind of work on Jacks and/or Jack stands. I wish I had a lift.

8 MM Allen Wrench (I used a small hand held one but had to back it up with a wrench since it was very tight) and picked up an 8 mm Allen socket when I ran to pick up the adjustable filter wrench. The one I had already was the smaller version...d'ooh.

86 mm socket for the oil filter is preferred, I used the adjustable one as I could not find an 86 mm one locally, that is coming in 2 days from Amazon for the next oil change. I should have bought it with the oil kit from ECS but thought I could get one locally. But no.

Oil Filter with o-ring and seal for oil pan plug. ECS sent kit with Oil, filter, and new oil pan plug. Was $152 shipped. It came with 11 Liters, but the car calls for 10 Liters. I think ECS was thinking 10.6 QUARTS, so they sent 11 bottles which are liters. So I have extra. LOL.

The drain plug is under a nice cover. Comes off with a quick twist. The filter housing kind of looks like there is supposed to be a cover over that also, perhaps someone can peak at their's and let me know.

Torque specs for drain plug 25 NM (18 ftlbs) and the same for the filter housing, which is basically hand tight.

The filter housing had about a 1/2 liter of oil in it when I took it off, maybe close to 3/4, so be careful, and let it drain inverted before pulling the filter cartridge out or it is messy.

I have to go for a ride (30 minutes)before I can check the oil level. I put in 9.5 liters and have the other 500 ml waiting as I did not want to overfill.

Mike
Thank you for this write up I did my oil change today 6000KM after my break-in oil change at the dealer. My car is tuned so I wanted to cut the service interval in half so the next time I'm due at the dealer I will get the free oil change again.

I just wanted to confirm in your last picture; in the bag with the 2 washers and O-rings I only used the large O-ring for the oil filter housing and the larger washer for drain plug is this correct? I think the smaller O-ring and washer are not used and possibly for a different engine since this kit is used for the F10 platform as well as many others.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 03:04 PM   #36
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cream View Post
Thank you for this write up I did my oil change today 6000KM after my break-in oil change at the dealer. My car is tuned so I wanted to cut the service interval in half so the next time I'm due at the dealer I will get the free oil change again.

I just wanted to confirm in your last picture; in the bag with the 2 washers and O-rings I only used the large O-ring for the oil filter housing and the larger washer for drain plug is this correct? I think the smaller O-ring and washer are not used and possibly for a different engine since this kit is used for the F10 platform as well as many others.
Yes, the filter 'kit' has rings for several applications.

Mike

Appreciate 1
cream45.50
      04-28-2020, 08:06 PM   #37
lporschef10m5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 M5

Garage List
2022 GLS 63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes, BMW has paid for three oil changes in the first 8800 miles....the third was probably not necessary and I don't think they reset the timer at the 5k service. The light was not on at that time, and before having service I noted that all the items were green. Anyway it was done at the 1200 mile service, again at 5000 miles and then again at 8800 miles. I had been back and forth for a few minor issues with the car rebuilding. The service guy really should have told me they were planning on doing the oil service and I could have nipped that in the bud. They ate that.

Now I have 16,000 miles and the light was on since 15,000. So if 1200 was scheduled and 5000 was schedule then the next should have been 15000. So I guess I could have waited until 20k by my calculation. At first I thought the car called for the service because of driving style, but I don't really drive this car that hard. I put about 7000 miles on the car in what three months? WOW, 2500 was going to NC twice to visit my brother (long sad story).

The real issue with going in for just an oil change is where the dealer that I use is located. They are 2 hours 20 minutes away.. So about 5 hours driving and a few hours at the dealer for an oil change? Part of my return to BMW from Audi was for local service. I had heard many complaints about the local place but it was owned by the same company that owned the local Audi dealer when they still had the franchise. In fact the service manager used to be the guy at Audi. And I know several of the mechanics. etc.

I also have been weary about going to my local dealer since the service was an issue with my crash and they did not disclose to me that they are not a BMW certified crash repair shop. This caused issues and delays. So my relationship with that dealership is strained. They did the 1200 mile service but I was very concerned over the proper oil being used in the differentials. They were going to use the same stuff from the prior M5, which is not the correct oil for the rear differential. I actually bought the correct oil when I was at a shop in Nashua New Hampshire and had them with me. I made them SHOW me their bottles before letting them do the service. Had I not been on top of that they would have put the wrong differential fluid in and I would not have known until a failure. I may end up going back there but I still am on the fence. I suppose if the car shit the bed for some reason, I would take it there.

Anyway I can DIY in under an hour, first time was slower as you can imagine, but on the next I'll have the proper Socket to open and re-torque the filter housing, as well as the proper 8mm Allen in socket form, again so I can use a torque wrench to reseal it.

And it's fun.

This car is so much easier to do an oil change on than my RS6. I did oil changes on that car every 5000 miles (so about ?25 times in 14 years). It required removing the undershield, PITA, had to drop the roll bar, little pITA, and removing a filter that was on the side of the engine and had to be tipped open end down to get out of its hiding space, PITA, MESSY, PITA. I did not own the M2 long enough to do an oil change. LOL. The '97 M3 was a snap to do the oil service, as the filter was on the top of the engine and the oil drain plug was about 18 inches from the very front of the car, no lift or ramps needed.

Mike

Thanks for the write up
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 02:01 PM   #38
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

You are very welcome.

I forgot to post this tool.

I was able to use an adjustable ratchet type to remove the filter but those only untighten, one way design. I did it finger tight until I got this tool. You cannot get a regular oil filter tool into this space, way too tight. The next oil change will be much easier.

Mike
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
YanoM5500.50
      08-25-2020, 06:32 PM   #39
TheRealBob
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 Bluestone M5

Smile

Mike,

Thanks for the great write-up. Knowing exactly what I was going to need made it much easier.

Bob
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 08:28 AM   #40
MikeStammer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C DG

Garage List
2021 M5 Comp  [0.00]
so what are people's thoughts on 30w vs 40w?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 07:05 PM   #41
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStammer View Post
so what are people's thoughts on 30w vs 40w?
BMW is pretty set on using the correct oil. They will test oil if you engine has an issue that may be oil related. I'd stick with what ever BMW says.

Mike

Appreciate 1
      02-15-2021, 01:13 PM   #42
carseatsm5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

This is a really great write up. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 04:56 PM   #43
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carseatsm5 View Post
This is a really great write up. Thanks!
You are very welcome.

Mike

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 04:58 PM   #44
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ht=brake+fluid

other thread.