BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls    Cylinder Mis-fire Data

02-28-2019, 04:11 PM   #1
lgreenlee
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Cylinder Mis-fire Data

Does anyone else have a OBD-II reader that can pull mis-fire statistics for a drive of 20 minutes or longer?

I recently purchased an M5 Competition and within the first 200 miles cylinder 4's fuel injector failed and had to be replaced. Out of an abundance of caution I have started to monitor the engine. Today I've found that all of cylinders *except* 4 are mis-firing a handful of times over a drive time of 15-20 minutes.

Seems like this is probably not normal given that I've had the car such a short time.

Any help is appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 11:49 PM   #2
ACF90M5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Unless you have a tune, downpipes, or anything that would void the warranty why would you not just bring it back to the dealer in this situation? I understand you just got the car but the this is something you should have service handle before it turns worse.

I don't know much about how cars are handled during shipping but either something was missed during the pre-delivery inspection or the spark plugs are bad.
      03-04-2019, 03:06 PM   #3
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACF90M5 View Post
Unless you have a tune, downpipes, or anything that would void the warranty why would you not just bring it back to the dealer in this situation? I understand you just got the car but the this is something you should have service handle before it turns worse.

I don't know much about how cars are handled during shipping but either something was missed during the pre-delivery inspection or the spark plugs are bad.
+1
Appreciate 1
ACF90M520.50
      03-09-2019, 09:50 PM   #4
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

If not I would love to help you but I haven't done remotely yet
I do have the software that Bmw uses to read the codes
If your car is stock take it to the dealership
      03-17-2019, 05:35 AM   #5
bluem2
Private
Rep
Drives: lbb m2

Mine has been misfiring and switching from cylinder from cylinder and the techs have no idea what to do
They thought it was a cool in cylinder 3, they fixed it and tested the car for 2 days before releasing the car back to me
I drove it for 2 minutes before the drive train error came back with the same issue
Now the techs are saying cylinder 6 has an issue

Can my cat back Remus exhaust throw the cars Ecu off so much to cause so much issues with misfire and drive train errors ?
So far I have yet to hear any forum members with this issue even with an aftermarket exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 10:17 PM   #6
lgreenlee
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluem2 View Post
Mine has been misfiring and switching from cylinder from cylinder and the techs have no idea what to do
They thought it was a cool in cylinder 3, they fixed it and tested the car for 2 days before releasing the car back to me
I drove it for 2 minutes before the drive train error came back with the same issue
Now the techs are saying cylinder 6 has an issue

Can my cat back Remus exhaust throw the cars Ecu off so much to cause so much issues with misfire and drive train errors ?
So far I have yet to hear any forum members with this issue even with an aftermarket exhaust
That's unfortunate. I don't have an aftermarket exhaust if that helps. So far the car has been fine. The mis-fire counts are below the threshold of triggering codes, but they do accumulate over the drive and can be read with my OBD reader.

Does your state have any lemon laws?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 01:50 AM   #7
bluem2
Private
Rep
Drives: lbb m2

So far the code hasn’t come back since they removed and cleaned all the excess oil ( so the tech claims )
However I feel that the car has lost power and responsiveness. In my post on another thread the hp indicator on sport display is only till about 540-560 range and not near the 600 mark where it used to be
Also the burbles and cracks has been reduced to much shorter cracks
Will continue to monitor
I live in south east Asia where cars are 2-3x of that in the US and not much choices when it comes to cars and customs orders and builds
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 08:51 PM   #8
MDM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: /// 2022 M8C

Interesting....I had the dreaded "Drive Train Malfunction" for what turned out to be a miss fire in cylinder #7. They changed the spark plug and coil pack for that cylinder. However before that I was experiencing long crank times. They did a software update to the car to "fix" that issue. But now just like you I'm seeing lower power and tourgue numbers and less pops and burbles. Now I have to take it back again!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 04:56 PM   #9
Bmw.mozambique
Rep
Drives: M5 F90 Competion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko M View Post
what's the software you use? can you let us know and where to purchase it
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 05:44 PM   #10
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw.mozambique View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko M View Post
what's the software you use? can you let us know and where to purchase it
It's ISTA from Rhinegoldusa.net

This is pretty much what BMW uses

The software is HUGE and requires fast laptop and huge memory, otherwise it won't run.

Make sure before you purchase your laptop meets the requirements that they ask otherwise you are waisting your money.

Be prepared to go through hell trying to download it and make it work.
Took me over 2 hours with online help support.

https://rheingoldusa.net/conc/index....egory=16152033