BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)    XPEL Stealth removal from a frozen paint

09-18-2018, 04:23 PM   #1
Carmelle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

XPEL Stealth removal from a frozen paint

Has anyone had experience removing xpel stealth, suntek, or similar from frozen colors down the road? I'm wondering if I'll run into issues later should I wrap my car and need to replace the wrap or remove it.
      09-19-2018, 09:00 AM   #2
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelle View Post
Has anyone had experience removing xpel stealth, suntek, or similar from frozen colors down the road? I'm wondering if I'll run into issues later should I wrap my car and need to replace the wrap or remove it.
I have not removed mine yet, the shop said there won't be any issues at all, or so they say.....

But wrap does make cleaning very easy, never have to worry about using the wrong detergent or wax (because you always say no to wax).
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2018, 09:32 AM   #3
shellbmb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

It wasn't on a frozen color, but when I removed the Suntek PPF on my F10, the color underneath was pristine. The wrap had started to "yellow" a bit so I removed it.
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2018, 09:42 AM   #4
frisky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M5 Individual

Ive had mine on for 3+ years now without an issue. When I got it installed I specifically asked how easy it is to take out and return the car to stock without any damage. Any stealth xpel installer worth their weight can take it out without a trace it of ever being there. Thats what these things are made for. Nothing to worry about.
2016 ///M5 Individual | Frozen Cashmere Silver Metallic | Amaro Brown Full Leather w/ Custom Special Order White Contrast Stitching | Piano Black Trim | Custom Headliner | Competition Package w/ 601M wheels | Executive Package | Drivers Assistance Package | Bang & Olufsen |
European Delivery: October 10 2015 [Pictures here]
@friskygeek
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2018, 09:42 AM   #5
tiger4366
Private
Rep
Drives: F90 - 2018 M5

How long can one expect a wrap like this to last if mostly kept in garage apart from road use?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 10:37 AM   #6
ACF90M5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

XPEL comes with a 10 year warranty.

The removal is process is very much based on how skilled the shop that puts it on is and how much time and detail they put into putting it on.
      09-19-2018, 02:31 PM   #7
ntingle
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: i8

I'm wondering, why get frozen paint and then wrap it, given you could just get a matte wrap and produce the frozen effect without the US$5k paint?

Or are you only wrapping part of the car, in which case how good a match is the matte wrap with the frozen paint?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 03:47 PM   #8
Carmelle
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntingle View Post
I'm wondering, why get frozen paint and then wrap it, given you could just get a matte wrap and produce the frozen effect without the US$5k paint?

Or are you only wrapping part of the car, in which case how good a match is the matte wrap with the frozen paint?
I picked up a First Edition car last week, so just looking to use the wrap for its intended purpose; protecting what's already there

But when I get rid of the car, if I need to get the wrap off, just wanted to make sure I wasn't digging myself into a hole
      09-19-2018, 11:56 PM   #9
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:

Stealth wrap is also matte so it preserves the look of the frozen paint.

As for why not just get matte wrap, there is dullness in the typical matte wrap that you won't see in a real frozen paint, even with stealth wrap on it.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 07:46 AM   #10
frisky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M5 Individual

Quote:

Not only does it protect the paint without changing the look of the car, washing it is a breeze! In my 3 years Ive had my car, Ive always hand washed it and not once have I put it thru the car wash (didnt have to). Dont even need to get it detailed if I wash it every couple of weeks. Its worth it for that alone.

f.
2016 ///M5 Individual | Frozen Cashmere Silver Metallic | Amaro Brown Full Leather w/ Custom Special Order White Contrast Stitching | Piano Black Trim | Custom Headliner | Competition Package w/ 601M wheels | Executive Package | Drivers Assistance Package | Bang & Olufsen |
European Delivery: October 10 2015 [Pictures here]
@friskygeek
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2018, 09:20 AM   #11
Hashtag_M_Rated
///M Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 First Edition M5

Garage List
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I picked up a First Edition car last week, so just looking to use the wrap for its intended purpose; protecting what's already there

But when I get rid of the car, if I need to get the wrap off, just wanted to make sure I wasn't digging myself into a hole
congrats on your first edition! I got one too, wrapped it most of the car with the matte wrap and I can assure you it's a perfect match to the parts that are not wrapped. I thought that wrapping a big part like the hood for example would make it pretty visible but you never really notice it. the rain effect is pretty amazing on the hood while you're driving lol
      09-21-2018, 04:13 AM   #12
Carmelle
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashtag_M_Rated View Post
congrats on your first edition! I got one too, wrapped it most of the car with the matte wrap and I can assure you it's a perfect match to the parts that are not wrapped. I thought that wrapping a big part like the hood for example would make it pretty visible but you never really notice it. the rain effect is pretty amazing on the hood while you're driving lol
thanks! got a few qs you can hopefully answer:

- which film did you use?
- was it wrapped all the way around the edges? trying to figure out if its worth getting the body panels all taken apart or not
- did you do a ceramic coat after?
      09-21-2018, 09:13 AM   #13
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 30Jahre M5 plus a few more M's

Garage List
FYI I had a defect develop in my xpel stealth on the 30jahre M5. Hood and trunk redone after 3yrs and no issues at all. As previously stated 10yr warrantee. My opinion is 80% installer and 20% product so pick your shop well. (Same for cost.....)there is a huge variation among shops, from personal experience....
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
15 Turbo S (Kobb tune and Kline exhaust)
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 10:58 PM   #14
Carmelle
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
FYI I had a defect develop in my xpel stealth on the 30jahre M5. Hood and trunk redone after 3yrs and no issues at all. As previously stated 10yr warrantee. My opinion is 80% installer and 20% product so pick your shop well. (Same for cost.....)there is a huge variation among shops, from personal experience....
yea that's made it really difficult to find a good place to do it...just a huge variation in cost, and hard to tell how reflective it is of the quality of work
      09-22-2018, 11:00 PM   #15
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Are you in NorCal?
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 01:37 AM   #16
Carmelle
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Are you in NorCal?
yup! bay area
      09-29-2018, 04:04 PM   #17
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Are you in NorCal?
yup! bay area
I think premier autofilms are the one of the best if not the best.
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
Appreciate 0