BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Real Talk- RC Black or JB4 or..?

03-28-2022, 07:07 PM   #1
Pimpsy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Real Talk- RC Black or JB4 or..?

Hey all. I want to spice up my 2019 M5C and would like to hear thoughts on which way to go. I will run 93 with probably no other mods. There's so much info out there it's tough to digest, especially with new Dinan and Carbahn stuff out there.

What should I do? Would love as much power as possible without really going to Stage 2.

Thanks for sharing any experience and info!
      03-29-2022, 12:11 AM   #2
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpsy View Post
Hey all. I want to spice up my 2019 M5C and would like to hear thoughts on which way to go. I will run 93 with probably no other mods. There's so much info out there it's tough to digest, especially with new Dinan and Carbahn stuff out there.

What should I do? Would love as much power as possible without really going to Stage 2.

Starting off this post by conceding I don't have any personal experience with JB4, but my RC GTS Black on my otherwise stock base 19 M5 using 93 has been fantastic. Putting down better numbers all around as confirmed by my Dragy. Never threw any CELs, no harsh starts, no knocking, etc. either.

There are definitely people here way more
experienced than me who will give you varying opinions on this. But such a simple mod that gives a lot of power compared to how minimal the required effort is.
      03-29-2022, 09:35 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

The JB4 is the most advanced piggyback on the market with the most features, safety failsafes, ability to read and delete codes + datalog.

You can use it as a set and forget its tune as it will default on map one, which works for all stages. Or you can fine-tune it and choose different maps.

With that being said, both options will give you more than enough power and are safe to use. You can't be wrong with either one.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 12:09 AM   #4
Pimpsy
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the input, guys.
I'm surprised that no one is lauding Dinan or Carbahn? I was thinking that either might be a viable way to go.
      03-30-2022, 06:27 AM   #5
CarEnthusiast29
Rep
Drives: 22BMW M5CS 2021 LamboSVJ Rdstr

Quote:

I have a jb4 on my m5 CS and love it. I didn't go flash tune because I didn't want to instantly blow my warranty. The power difference is noticeable. The car feels that much faster and even more fun to drive now. And it's so cheap for the gains you get.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 10:01 AM   #6
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Racechip Black GTS here, no issues thus far, no CEL. Noticeable gains. Never dyno'd, and dont have a draggy. But definitely can tell its pulling harder. For sure more noticeable on rolling/freeway.

Ive been happy with it. I have no to reason to believe a JB4 is worse. I'm sure very similar. I don't recall the reason I went RC vs JB4, but i'm sure I would have been happy with either.

I'll add I regularly use a combo of 91 and 95 race fuel, or straight 95 , because there is gas station near me that sells 95 and 100 octane in the pumps.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 10:50 AM   #7
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Racechip is easier to install, but for the same reason also has less potential due to the reduced inputs/outputs, compared to JB4. It also does not offer meth integration like the JB4 if you want the added performance that higher octane offers and do not have access to E85 or want to buy race gas. I have used a JB4 with meth but will soon change to a BM3 with the JB4 just controlling meth.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 03:31 PM   #8
Ron1n
Speed Demon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Garage List
2021 M5 Competition  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2011 335is  [0.00]
2009 E93 M3  [10.00]
2010 335d  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEnthusiast29 View Post
I have a jb4 on my m5 CS and love it. I didn't go flash tune because I didn't want to instantly blow my warranty. The power difference is noticeable. The car feels that much faster and even more fun to drive now. And it's so cheap for the gains you get.
You can't go flash tune on your CS (right now, unless you wanted to send your ECUs to Russia), so there's that, too.

Current: '21 M5C, '15 X6 50i Previous: '18 M550i, '16 550i, '11 335is, '09 E93 M3 DCT, '10 E90 335d, '07 E90 328i
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 06:37 PM   #9
euro*
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Quote:

That's a myth about warranty with piggyback vs flash. Your car stores all of it's running data and parameters, like boost levels and etc.

If something happens to your motor, and BMW digs in, they will see all the data and know that you were tuned, warranty goodbye….
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 07:08 PM   #10
BMA89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M5 CS

Quote:

I have a RC GTS Black and absolutely love it, it's a massively noticeable improvement in power and pulls so much better/harder now! As everyone has said you won't go wrong with either so whichever you can get a better deal on I guess?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 10:50 PM   #11
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro* View Post
That's a myth about warranty with piggyback vs flash. Your car stores all of it's running data and parameters, like boost levels and etc.

If something happens to your motor, and BMW digs in, they will see all the data and know that you were tuned, warranty goodbye….

I have a question in regard to how these piggy backs work, and possible warranty voiding case to fight... Need some input from others...

Is something like RaceChip basically tricking the boost pressure sensor? To give it more boost? Im sure there is more to it than that. But my point is this:

If I go into service, even oil changes, or minor things, I pull the entire racechip out, unplug and remove completely. So it wont be flagged.

But, if BMW were to dig in and see increased boost, and couldn't prove you plugged in racechip, wouldn't it be hard to prove the racechip ever existed? Obviously it would see increase boost pressure, obviously caused by Racechip which we know... but wouldn't a pretty viable defense be, to ask if there is ANY POSSIBILITY AT ALL, that the boost sensor could be failing, or acting up. Could BMW GUARANTEE with out a shadow of a doubt, that the boost sensor didn't fail? Or intermittently fail? Or some other sensor or aspect of the car cause the discrepancy? Wouldn't they have to prove with out a shadow of a doubt you altered the car, and that there was NO way it was a system malfunction causing the increased boost?

With a flash tune, I imagine this could be easier to prove. With a piggy back, its just tricking sensors correct? ECU stores the data, but what caused the data to read that way, is what would be in question right? Malfunction? Racechip? They'd have to prove it was a Race Chip causing the increased boost, I would have to think.

One more thought.... On cars like the CS where is the extra power coming from CS from Comp, and Comp from Base? Is there added boost?

Would be interested to know what the difference between the models is. Engine tuning , Engine internals? Other items?

Only wondering because, if all the internals, engine, everything is the same, and it's simply tuned differently. A good lawyer could argue that BMW basically increased power on those cars with guess what... a TUNE, but those warranties arent affected? LOL.

Im not a lawyer, but could be a good argument and food for thought.

Asking for a friend of course and it's very possible there is a lot more to the racechip than tricking a boost pressure sensor. I legitimately don't know how they work.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 06:16 AM   #12
CarEnthusiast29
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1n View Post
Quote:
You can't go flash tune on your CS (right now, unless you wanted to send your ECUs to Russia), so there's that, too.
Yeah but people like DME would send it out and then flash it, so you can do a flash tune if you want. Like I said, I didn't want a blown warranty right now
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 09:59 AM   #13
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G30/M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Racechip is easier to install, but for the same reason also has less potential due to the reduced inputs/outputs, compared to JB4. It also does not offer meth integration like the JB4 if you want the added performance that higher octane offers and do not have access to E85 or want to buy race gas. I have used a JB4 with meth but will soon change to a BM3 with the JB4 just controlling meth.
Good Gawd !

DM me when you're going to run at the track. I want to see this !
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 10:51 AM   #14
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 F82 M4 ZCP Black/Black

Quote:
Yeah but people like DME would send it out and then flash it, so you can do a flash tune if you want. Like I said, I didn't want a blown warranty right now

True but they send it to Russia, not sure it will ever come back with what's going on over there right now. I considered it for my new m8 and was told they are not sending any new one's and are "hoping" eventually it will calm down. Mission in cali says they are beta testing an in house flash, so fingers crossed for those willing to go flash vs piggy.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 04:02 PM   #15
GranitM5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So you'd rather wait and find out that you have no warranty after your engine blows?

You'll get caught either way. When you mod your car, you just pray that nothing fails. If it does, they will dig in and see.
Appreciate 1
euro*1657.50
      04-01-2022, 04:10 PM   #16
CarEnthusiast29
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitM5 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So you'd rather wait and find out that you have no warranty after your engine blows?

You'll get caught either way. When you mod your car, you just pray that nothing fails. If it does, they will dig in and see.
That's not true, first a Jb4 can be removed. Second bmw does not bust balls for exhaust or intakes etc. a flash tune automatically voids your warranty where a piggy back does not always.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 04:15 PM   #17
GranitM5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's not true, first a Jb4 can be removed. Second bmw does not bust balls for exhaust or intakes etc. a flash tune automatically voids your warranty where a piggy back does not always.
You think if you lower you car and you have a suspension issue that they'll pay the bill?

I have tuned every car I have ever had and never had my warranty blown. I have also been fortunate that I never had a major issue.

Removing the jb4 or bm3 or Rc won't do anything. When they get to digging, they will find what they need.

This topic has been covered many times on this forum. Don't be misinformed.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 04:18 PM   #18
CarEnthusiast29
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You think if you lower you car and you have a suspension issue that they'll pay the bill?

I have tuned every car I have ever had and never had my warranty blown. I have also been fortunate that I never had a major issue.

Removing the jb4 or bm3 or Rc won't do anything. When they get to digging, they will find what they need.

I've also had a tuned car with exhaust blow a transmission and got it covered under warranty. I'm not misinformed I just know which routes are safer or better for resale. Not everyone likes buying a flashed car. My SVJ is fully straight piped with a flash tune and I know if my engine blows in probably dropping 100k to fix it. I make decisions and access the risk and what's the possibility of something happening as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 04:21 PM   #19
GranitM5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I've also had a tuned car with exhaust blow a transmission and got it covered under warranty. I'm not misinformed I just know which routes are safer or better for resale. Not everyone likes buying a flashed car. My SVJ is fully straight piped with a flash tune and I know if my engine blows in probably dropping 100k to fix it. I make decisions and access the risk and what's the possibility of something happening as well.
I can agree on that, most people wouldn't want to buy a tuned car. As long as people are aware of the risks, then mod away👌🏽
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2022, 04:22 PM   #20
CarEnthusiast29
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I can agree on that, most people wouldn't want to buy a tuned car. As long as people are aware of the risks, then mod away👌🏽
100%!
Appreciate 1
GranitM5366.00
      04-01-2022, 09:53 PM   #21
Pimpsy
Captain
Rep

I was checking out tunes and now can't remember...which one has a valet mode?

Very appealing to me, I hate handing my car over to valets...
      04-02-2022, 02:02 AM   #22
MaybeanM5
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I was told by my local shop that some downpipes would bet about 20/30 whp but would throw a CEL
Appreciate 0