BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Real Talk- RC Black or JB4 or..?

01-09-2024, 11:53 PM   #89
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kponti View Post
Exxon 93 octane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruppa View Post
Wow great time, I thought setting 7 was only for 100 octane.
I don’t have the supporting mods that Kponti does, but I have run the GTS Black for ~45k miles of service over two F90s on Map 7 since the break in was completed solely on 93 octane with no issues whatsoever.
      01-11-2024, 11:25 AM   #90
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Exxon 93 octane
Quote:
Wow great time, I thought setting 7 was only for 100 octane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
I don’t have the supporting mods that Kponti does, but I have run the GTS Black for ~47k miles of service over two F90s on Map 7 since the break in was completed solely on 93 octane with no issues whatsoever.

When you say you are not experiencing any issues, I'm assuming this is based on the car's driving and you are not looking at any logs for this confirmation.

it's important to consider that even if the car seems to run fine, this is because the DME is adjusting the ignition timing to protect the engine from an overly aggressive map. This protective measure leads to reduced power output compared to a well-balanced map that adds a moderate amount of boost without causing the DME to reduce ignition timing.

More importantly, constantly relying on the DME to retard ignition as a safety measure can transition from seemingly perfect driving conditions to serious engine damage in a split second. It's not recommended to depend on this mechanism for tuning your car, as it isn't a safe long term solution.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 05:14 PM   #91
Kponti
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8C comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
When you say you are not experiencing any issues, I'm assuming this is based on the car's driving and you are not looking at any logs for this confirmation.

it's important to consider that even if the car seems to run fine, this is because the DME is adjusting the ignition timing to protect the engine from an overly aggressive map. This protective measure leads to reduced power output compared to a well-balanced map that adds a moderate amount of boost without causing the DME to reduce ignition timing.

More importantly, constantly relying on the DME to retard ignition as a safety measure can transition from seemingly perfect driving conditions to serious engine damage in a split second. It's not recommended to depend on this mechanism for tuning your car, as it isn't a safe long term solution.
I am not a fan of piggies in general but since I have a locked ECU, this is one of the best choices I have for now.

That being said, I have been tuning German, domestic, and Japanese-boosted (turbo and superchargers) cars since the late 90s. The above statement is not exactly accurate in the context it is used.

Piggybacks will not be able to increase boost as much as an actual tune does or can, so in that regard, most real tunes tend to run more boost than piggybacks.
As a result of that, timing is reduced in real tunes to keep it from detonating at that higher boost level. Something that is not required of a good quality Piggyback map for a given octane level.
The engine and fuel (not tune type) determine what amount of boost and timing the engine can safely tolerate.

So the moderate levels of boost are usually found more in Piggybacks than in real tunes. Real tunes allow you to raise either boost or timing or both beyond moderate levels more so than a piggyback can or will.
That's why they make so much less power

Real tunes also rely on factory knock sensors to retard timing if detonation is detected (so do factory stock tunes). The key is not to raise either boost or timing too much to make it knock on a piggyback or a real tune
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 10:59 AM   #92
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am not a fan of piggies in general but since I have a locked ECU, this is one of the best choices I have for now.

That being said, I have been tuning German, domestic, and Japanese-boosted (turbo and superchargers) cars since the late 90s. The above statement is not exactly accurate in the context it is used.

Piggybacks will not be able to increase boost as much as an actual tune does or can, so in that regard, most real tunes tend to run more boost than piggybacks.
As a result of that, timing is reduced in real tunes to keep it from detonating at that higher boost level. Something that is not required of a good quality Piggyback map for a given octane level.
The engine and fuel (not tune type) determine what amount of boost and timing the engine can safely tolerate.

So the moderate levels of boost are usually found more in Piggybacks than in real tunes. Real tunes allow you to raise either boost or timing or both beyond moderate levels more so than a piggyback can or will.
That's why they make so much less power

Real tunes also rely on factory knock sensors to retard timing if detonation is detected (so do factory stock tunes). The key is not to raise either boost or timing too much to make it knock on a piggyback or a real tune
Your post contains misunderstandings about tuning. However, to keep our discussion focused, especially since you've indicated that you disagree with my previous post, I'll address only the points I raised.

Our conversation is specifically about two piggyback systems: Race Chip and JB4. I'm not sure why there's a shift to comparing flash tunes with piggybacks, as that's not the topic at hand nor was it the subject of my post.

Here is a recap of my post
"When running a piggyback that cannot datalog such as the race chip, you should not run aggressive maps since you can't see if the ignition timing is dropping because the boost is too high for your octane. The car might run fine but that does not mean your map is good for your car, relying on the DME failsafe is not a safe or effective method of tuning"

Which part of my post don't you agree with?

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 06:46 PM   #93
Kruppa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Comp & 2024 X7

Quote:
Your post contains misunderstandings about tuning. However, to keep our discussion focused, especially since you've indicated that you disagree with my previous post, I'll address only the points I raised.

Our conversation is specifically about two piggyback systems: Race Chip and JB4. I'm not sure why there's a shift to comparing flash tunes with piggybacks, as that's not the topic at hand nor was it the subject of my post.

"When running a piggyback that cannot datalog such as the race chip, you should not run aggressive maps since you can't see if the ignition timing is dropping because the boost is too high for your octane. The car might run fine but that does not mean your map is good for your car, relying on the DME failsafe is not a safe or effective method of tuning"

Thanks for the info! So on 93 I think map 5 or 6 max is recommended? I tried both and got .01 variance in 1/4 time so just left it on 5.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 11:17 AM   #94
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info! So on 93 I think map 5 or 6 max is recommended? I tried both and got .01 variance in 1/4 time so just left it on 5.
Map Guide as of v9 firmware:

Map 0: Stock operation, JB4 disabled
Map 1: Default performance map, 3psi peak request over stock. Compatible with 91+ octane. Suggested for most applications.
Map 2: 4psi peak over stock, a more aggressive version of map1 suitable for 93+ octane in most applications.
Map 3: 6psi peak over stock, a much more aggressive map suggested for E20 E85 mixtures, quality 93+ octane, octane booster, or unleaded race gas mixtures. Note in many cases like with the competition package map2 may be more aggressive than map3.
Map 4: 26psi absolute boost profile
Map 5: 27psi absolute boost profile
Map 6: User adjustable map. RPM1500 values of less than 6psi make map6 additive target based, values over 7psi make map6 absolute target based.
Map 7: Water/meth (WMI) progressive safety map, boost target determined by WMI additive
Map 8: Low boost VALET & safety map

Map 6 is the custom map, you need to input your own boost to work properly.

Per the guide above, lots of options for 93. If you are using map 3 or map 5 and you are not mixing with E85, I recommend you datalog to ensure that the 93 octane from that gas station is high quality.

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 09:27 AM   #95
Boosted_8
Captain
Rep
Drives: M550i

As far as I know Racechip only test their boost profiles on pump fuel, so logic suggests level 7 is for 93/94 Octane and work backward from there. With JB4 they publish guidance on which map to use with which fuel so you just have to be literate to succeed.

All in all the boost increments with the piggy backs is low single digit increases. The same sort of difference in boost pressure from driving at sea level Vs driving in the Rockies.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 09:35 AM   #96
Kruppa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Comp & 2024 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted_8 View Post
As far as I know Racechip only test their boost profiles on pump fuel, so logic suggests level 7 is for 93/94 Octane and work backward from there. With JB4 they publish guidance on which map to use with which fuel so you just have to be literate to succeed.

All in all the boost increments with the piggy backs is low single digit increases. The same sort of difference in boost pressure from driving at sea level Vs driving in the Rockies.
I have CarBahn piggyback which is supposedly Racechip. In their software you first choose 91, 93, or 100 octane. From there you can adjust within ranges...in their 1-7 mapping you can choose map 1-4 on 91 octane, 4-6 on 93 octane and 6-7 on 100 octane. So if you choose 93 octane you can't even select 7 as an option. Never been sure what to use and on 93 if 5 is "better" than 6, if running 93 but saying you're on 100 and choosing map 7 is ok, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 10:43 AM   #97
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted_8 View Post

The problem with Racecehip and similar tunes is that they don't disclose how much boost each map adds.

They also don't officially recommend any maps.

this plus the fact that you cannot datalog is a dangerous combination and you can't blame them for any damages because they never officially said which maps are for which octane.

But since the BMW DME is so good, a lot of tuners can get away with a lot of things.

Its better to be safe than sorry in my opinion. If you are using a tune that does not datalog and does not disclose how much boost each map is adding, stay with the conservative maps. map 5 for 91, map 6 for 93, map 7 for E85

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 02:44 PM   #98
Boosted_8
Captain
Rep
Drives: M550i

I don't know if it's possible in BMW land but on my last Audi I had a piggy with no logging, so I used my phone in combo with a OBD2 Bluetooth dongle to log boost and ign. The frequency was poor but it told me peak boost, ignition advance and a few other things to judge if the box was a grenade waiting to go off or not.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 09:53 PM   #99
Kponti
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8C comp

Quote:

Easy enough to datalog even with Racechip. Max boost I've seen on Map7 is just under 4psi. Average is 3-4 psi.
Haven't tried any of the other maps to see

We can agree to disagree on my tuning understanding lol. I have tuned too many cars to count some personally some via other tuners. Loads of datalogs I've poured over .....
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2024, 08:28 AM   #100
johnny5ive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Map Guide as of v9 firmware:

Map 0: Stock operation, JB4 disabled
Map 1: Default performance map, 3psi peak request over stock. Compatible with 91+ octane. Suggested for most applications.
Map 2: 4psi peak over stock, a more aggressive version of map1 suitable for 93+ octane in most applications.
Map 3: 6psi peak over stock, a much more aggressive map suggested for E20 E85 mixtures, quality 93+ octane, octane booster, or unleaded race gas mixtures. Note in many cases like with the competition package map2 may be more aggressive than map3.
Map 4: 26psi absolute boost profile
Map 5: 27psi absolute boost profile
Map 6: User adjustable map. RPM1500 values of less than 6psi make map6 additive target based, values over 7psi make map6 absolute target based.
Map 7: Water/meth (WMI) progressive safety map, boost target determined by WMI additive
Map 8: Low boost VALET & safety map

Map 6 is the custom map, you need to input your own boost to work properly.

Per the guide above, lots of options for 93. If you are using map 3 or map 5 and you are not mixing with E85, I recommend you datalog to ensure that the 93 octane from that gas station is high quality.
I've got a RaceChip GTS Black coming this week, I have 93 and 94 Octaine near me. From what I've been reading I'll probably run Map 5. Does it matter if I'm on 93 or 94?

I've got no other mods but I'm debating secondary downpipes and a new cold air intake (either standard or front mount).
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 10:14 AM   #101
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny5ive View Post
I've got a RaceChip GTS Black coming this week, I have 93 and 94 Octaine near me. From what I've been reading I'll probably run Map 5. Does it matter if I'm on 93 or 94?

I've got no other mods but I'm debating secondary downpipes and a new cold air intake (either standard or front mount).
You can run map 6 on 93 or 94 with no issues.

Let me know once you make a decision on the downpipes and intake and i can help

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 03:27 PM   #102
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny5ive View Post

I’ve got not empirical data on this, but as an anecdotal piece of information, I can confirm that I’ve run the GTS Black on Map 7 with no other supporting mods and have ran 93 for a combined ~45k between pre-LCI and LCI. No issues whatsoever.

I’m not an engineer, I would assume you’d be just fine running Map 5 on 93.

EDIT — Apologies, I didn’t realize this was the thread that I had posted this info on (earlier in the thread).