E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Trading in my brand new 330xi

03-12-2006, 01:51 PM   #23
clutch09
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh
Have you ever had an automatic before? When was the last time you had it(as a daily driver)?

because if you are really manual oriented, steptronic or any automatic for that matter will feel literally like CRAP. Even me(i personally prefer automatic. actually, if there was no traffic in this world, I would pick manual no matter what), it took time to adjust to steptronic. Manual is so much more fun to drive. If you find the transmission factor as a problem, I HIGHLY suggest you make your decision fast. because you'll seriously regret later. Transmission is a huge factor in a car. Get what you really want.

Forget how much you'll lose right now. Few thousand dollar loss is worth the amount of extra happyness(satisfaction) you'll acheive down the road.
Would it be possible to get a consensus on how much I would lose. This is just for curiosity sake. After reading your replies I think I will stick with the car and get the tires/wheels checked tomorrow morning.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 01:58 PM   #24
clutch09
Lieutenant
Rep

I just want to make clear that this vibration occurs even when I'm at idle rpm (550) and not just when I'm driving.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 02:03 PM   #25
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanishkl
Well I used their money to buy the car (I'm studying at Carnegie Mellon and my parents are great) but they have seen the stuff I do with a manual car and they put a lot of pressure on me to stay away from the stick
Did you mad dorifto or something?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 02:04 PM   #26
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

10-20%
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 02:08 PM   #27
carnuts3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver 325i
I agree some people are so dumb and waste so much money!
Maybe it's the parents' money they are wasting - makes it easier to through away!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 02:09 PM   #28
clutch09
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
You'll take a bath on the depreciation. Try using DS mode on the step - it's not quite the same but will feel more like manual box. I also agree that you should check the balance on your front wheels - but, have you ever had a BMW before? You do "feel" the road - that is part of what BMW is about. Try some different types of roads to be sure you're not just feeling vibration from a roughly paved road.

I've got a better one for ya... there is a lady in my neighborhood who just bought a Lexus IS... I mean like a few weeks ago... and she just sold it because she HEARD there MIGHT be a battery problem. Go figure.
Hahaha thats hilarious. I'm trying to stay away from DS till I get past 1200 miles. Once again I just want to mention that this 'problem' is existent even when idle at 550rpm. I've carried out tests in the past week on the issue of the road and have concluded that it is not the road and that the vibration in the footwells is being caused by something else. I will get it checked tomorrow. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 02:12 PM   #29
clutch09
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKsBimmer
I would definitely take the car in and have it checked out regarding the vibration. That's a problem that can usually be solved fairly simply.

If you really prefer a manual transmission and just can't bear the thought of driving the steptronic for the next few years that's more of a consideration. I do think it's important to have a car equipped the way you prefer to bring you true driving satisfaction.

If you do decide to trade or sell you may not do too badly on initial depreciation. 1000 miles on a BMW is really nothing. You'll do better selling the car yourself than trading for another model at the dealer. Check sites like cars.com, carmax.com, autotrader.com and other auto buying/selling sites to see what the market is for slightly used cars similar to yours.

Either way good luck in your decision.
I agree with you on the fact that I shouldn't do too badly on the depreciation scale because it only has 1000 miles. I just talked to someone at Longbeach BMW and she said $3000 below invoice. Since I bought the car at $500 over invoice that means I should be losing 3500. With a manual transmission the car cost would come down by $1275 which means I owuld have to add in $2225. Just some interesting information.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 02:15 PM   #30
clutch09
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
Did you mad dorifto or something?
Sorry man I have no idea what you're saying
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 02:20 PM   #31
carnuts3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 535i

Quote:
Well I used their money to buy the car (I'm studying at Carnegie Mellon and my parents are great) but they have seen the stuff I do with a manual car and they put a lot of pressure on me to stay away from the stick
Sounds like they gave you the money with conditions. If you accepted the conditions you should live with the car. If you really didn't want the auto trans you should have spoken up and held your ground BEFORE you bought the car... If it boiled down to BMW (or any other car) with auto trans - no manual (and you didn't have your own money to buy your own car), then be happy with the auto trans. How many guys in your situation drive around in new BMWs?? After you graduate and get a job you can go out and buy whatever car you can afford - no asking and no conditions.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 02:20 PM   #32
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry man I have no idea what you're saying
What "stuff" did you do in a stickshift that convinced your parents that you should stay away from it?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 02:33 PM   #33
clutch09
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What "stuff" did you do in a stickshift that convinced your parents that you should stay away from it?
I just drive a lot faster than I do with an Auto and pull the usual amount of spins etc, when there is some open space. I grew up in Indonesia so you have to realize that there fear also stems from the fact that I'm on the other side of the world with no one hear to look after me if something happens. They're paying for the car so I really couldn't say much at the time.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 02:42 PM   #34
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

sell it and buy a Caterham.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 03:04 PM   #35
sdorn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Jet Black 325i

Quote:
I agree with you on the fact that I shouldn't do too badly on the depreciation scale because it only has 1000 miles. I just talked to someone at Longbeach BMW and she said $3000 below invoice. Since I bought the car at $500 over invoice that means I should be losing 3500. With a manual transmission the car cost would come down by $1275 which means I owuld have to add in $2225. Just some interesting information.
If the dealership is really offering to let you swap out for $2,225, take it. You will be much happier with the manual if that's what you want. Otherwise it is going to eat at you for the entire time you own the car.
2006 Jet Black 325i (SOLD)
2001 Bullitt Mustang (450rwhp - SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 03:14 PM   #36
clutch09
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnuts3
Sounds like they gave you the money with conditions. If you accepted the conditions you should live with the car. If you really didn't want the auto trans you should have spoken up and held your ground BEFORE you bought the car... If it boiled down to BMW (or any other car) with auto trans - no manual (and you didn't have your own money to buy your own car), then be happy with the auto trans. How many guys in your situation drive around in new BMWs?? After you graduate and get a job you can go out and buy whatever car you can afford - no asking and no conditions.
I'm sorry man but I don't need a lesson in what I should have done. People make mistakes sometimes and I have the ability to correct a mistake I might have made in choosing a car. As for your earlier comment that I disregarded, I am not throwing money away. If you want to see my report card from Carnegie Mellon I'll be happy to send it to you. Some kids who have rich parents still have to work hard to get what they want. I'd appreciate if you would kindly keep these types of comments to yourself.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 03:17 PM   #37
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

Quote:
I'm sorry man but I don't need a lesson in what I should have done. People make mistakes sometimes and I have the ability to correct a mistake I might have made in choosing a car. As for your earlier comment that I disregarded, I am not throwing money away. If you want to see my report card from Carnegie Mellon I'll be happy to send it to you. Some kids who have rich parents still have to work hard to get what they want. I'd appreciate if you would kindly keep these types of comments to yourself.

Well said.

Step is awesome when you're working the manual shifting between 5-7k RPM (after break-in!!! )...it makes my heart beat a whole lot faster to tap that shifter with no clutch...I'm at 120km/h in 5th and the engine is still accelerating.....and that's in a 325!!! I think a Step in a 330xi would not be a huge compromise...

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 03:18 PM   #38
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Please tell me how to make insta-cash from getting good grades!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 03:19 PM   #39
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewtheBassman
Well said.

If 2k is all it costs, and the folks are okay with it.....go for it man!
The folks AREN'T okay with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 03:22 PM   #40
clutch09
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
sell it and buy a Caterham.
Lol
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 03:27 PM   #41
clutch09
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The folks AREN'T okay with it.
Actually the folks ARE okay with it.. It's upto me. And with regard to your question about insta-cash, it's not insta-cash. You work hard for two years to achieve the grades your parents have asked from you in order to buy you a $42K car. If you make a mistake in that process and can rectifiy it quickly and with minimal damage, then do it. I am lucky enough to have parents who don't mind spending another $2.5K in order for me to be happy. I am not saying I am trading the car in, my first priority is still to get that vibration fixed and then see how I enjoy the car. However, if I don't I do have the option to get a built-to-order manual 330xi with the same options.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 03:29 PM   #42
clutch09
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewtheBassman
Well said.

Step is awesome when you're working the manual shifting between 5-7k RPM (after break-in!!! )...it makes my heart beat a whole lot faster to tap that shifter with no clutch...I'm at 120km/h in 5th and the engine is still accelerating.....and that's in a 325!!! I think a Step in a 330xi would not be a huge compromise...
Thanks for your response. I want to get this vibration problem fixed after which I think I can truly get a sense of whether I am enjoying this step or not. I had an oil sensor problem the day I pulled out of the lot and now this vibration problem is annoying me so I think these two things are clouding my judgment. You know how it is when you get a brand new car, you wan't everything to be perfect and when it's not, your mind wanders.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 03:34 PM   #43
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Actually the folks ARE okay with it.. It's upto me. And with regard to your question about insta-cash, it's not insta-cash. You work hard for two years to achieve the grades your parents have asked from you in order to buy you a $42K car. If you make a mistake in that process and can rectifiy it quickly and with minimal damage, then do it. I am lucky enough to have parents who don't mind spending another $2.5K in order for me to be happy. I am not saying I am trading the car in, my first priority is still to get that vibration fixed and then see how I enjoy the car. However, if I don't I do have the option to get a built-to-order manual 330xi with the same options.
I'm in the same boat as you, but even if I get a 4.0, I'd STILL feel as if I don't really deserve this car. I just see it as the ultimate loaner.

If you can raise the extra cash for the switch yourself, by all means, go for it. Personally, I'd feel even more guilty for leeching some more off car money off of my folks.

Note: I really have no right to say anything regarding this matter.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 03:39 PM   #44
clutch09
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm in the same boat as you, but even if I get a 4.0, I'd STILL feel as if I don't really deserve this car. I just see it as the ultimate loaner.

If you can raise the extra cash for the switch yourself, by all means, go for it. Personally, I'd feel even more guilty for leeching some more off car money off of my folks.

Note: I really have no right to say anything regarding this matter.
No I actually appreciate the comments you make. I do agree with the fact that I don't really feel I deserve this car at this age but once you've got it, I think you should get something you really enjoy and if you're not enjoying it as much the way it is, then get something you will enjoy because you're gonna keep it for a long time to come.
Appreciate 0