Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Time for another!

04-12-2024, 01:29 PM   #1
Funboy78
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘72’ BMW M340d G20 LCI

Time for another!

Here I am, 5 months later and wanting another BMW. Those that remember me (including the member who has one of my previous cars ) know that I change a lot so this is of no surprise!

In November I changed from my 72’ M340d into an Audi, then recently changed into the new Mercedes A35h. Needless to say they are all different cars but no comparison to BMW in terms of quality and reliability amongst many other things……
As always, the idea is to save money, reduce outgoings, but the exact opposite happens, could’ve easily bought these cars outright by now but hey, it’s my guilty pleasure!!

Looking at another M340D, I know people will argue the M340i but personally I prefer diesel. I want up my spec this time, so just after opinions on the following:

M Sport seats
Sunroof (is it worth it)
Estate or Saloon (probably just a preference, I’ve always had saloons)

Cheers
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2024, 05:38 PM   #2
Arthur55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport touring

I've got the electric function on my sports seats......first time.....but love them. The memory function is a brilliant. So worth it after someone else has driven the car. Alcantara seat pad and centre backrest better thab full leather in my opinion. But the seats are a little harder than my sport seats in my old X1.

I've got the tourer. Dog and Grandchild it's a no brainer. To just open the glass rear window, rather than the whole tailgate is lovely.
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2024, 06:34 PM   #3
Stooo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

Dude, you’ve got issues…
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 03:13 AM   #4
Funboy78
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stooo View Post
Dude, you’ve got issues…

Oh come on….. you telling me you don’t waste money on anything
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 03:27 AM   #5
Funboy78
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur55 View Post
I've got the electric function on my sports seats......first time.....but love them. The memory function is a brilliant. So worth it after someone else has driven the car. Alcantara seat pad and centre backrest better thab full leather in my opinion. But the seats are a little harder than my sport seats in my old X1.

I've got the tourer. Dog and Grandchild it's a no brainer. To just open the glass rear window, rather than the whole tailgate is lovely.
So slightly harder seats the M Sport? Noticeable and annoying or just an observation? I do like the tourer but it’s mainly me that drives, but I’m not going to rule it out completely just yet.

So far, my car spec is:

Saloon M340d
Brooklyn Grey (maybe white)
Tech Plus Pack
Comfort Plus Pack
Electric Sunroof
M Sport seats
Carbon Fibre Interior Trim

RRP £68k
Offered £58.5k

It’s quite specific and I can be impatient, but the second hand market doesn’t have what I’m after. For me, Tech Plus & Comfort Plus are a must, no compromise. I thought I could trade off Carbon, sunroof, sport seats for each other depending what’s available second hand, for example previously saw one without sunroof but had the rest.
If I end up going new then I want it all, but, just needed info on opinions re seats, sunroof and tourer……

Thanks for help and opinion
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 04:35 AM   #6
alFR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series

I’d go touring (and did), but I’ve always preferred the line of an estate car to a saloon (and like the practicality too). M Sport seats are great for me, firm but not uncomfortable at all even on long drives: mine are full leather though, no alcantara, not sure if they’ve changed that for the current ones but maybe check if that’s a dealbreaker for you. Seat comfort is a very personal thing so YMMV on that too. I skipped the pan roof: I know a lot of reviewers say it’s essential esp. on the touring as it opens the cabin up but I’ve never really felt the need, even with a black interior. Agree with you on the packs, DAP is great.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2024, 05:54 AM   #7
Arthur55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport touring

Agree. Seats are a personal thing. Mine are harder, but not that I regret buying the car.

Additional items are again personal choice. My car was pre specd. One thing that I have that is terrific is the head up display....so so useful.

I love the touring version, and since going from an 69 plate X1 have not noticed the length increase.......but I've noticed the handling difference!!
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2024, 02:48 PM   #8
Charlisdad
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340D, 320d M Sport

Saloon over Touring would be my choice and not fussed about sunroofs. Got the pano roof in the other half’s Evoque and I keep the curtain closed anyway.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2024, 04:27 PM   #9
Nham68
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: M340i touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funboy78 View Post
So slightly harder seats the M Sport? Noticeable and annoying or just an observation? I do like the tourer but it’s mainly me that drives, but I’m not going to rule it out completely just yet.

So far, my car spec is:

Saloon M340d
Brooklyn Grey (maybe white)
Tech Plus Pack
Comfort Plus Pack
Electric Sunroof
M Sport seats
Carbon Fibre Interior Trim

RRP £68k
Offered £58.5k

It’s quite specific and I can be impatient, but the second hand market doesn’t have what I’m after. For me, Tech Plus & Comfort Plus are a must, no compromise. I thought I could trade off Carbon, sunroof, sport seats for each other depending what’s available second hand, for example previously saw one without sunroof but had the rest.
If I end up going new then I want it all, but, just needed info on opinions re seats, sunroof and tourer……

Thanks for help and opinion
I just paid £56k for a m340i touring with sunroof / tech plus / comfort plus / carbon inlays , in Brooklyn .
Had 3K miles on it .
No budge on price at all by dealer . They had other booking in to drive it.. They had and identical m340d touring m same spec , but it was sold and gone the same day I drove the 340i. (It’s now parked on he next street to me funnily enough ). Well specced second hand / low mileage ones don’t stay on forecourt for long .
Not sure on the discounts for new at the moment l Carwow was offering me 7% from new (64K). So I just went with the used .

Touring is so good. The rear window opening is just genius . It’s just a does everything car with the rear space . And I think touring makes it a bit more of a Q car somehow.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2024, 06:50 PM   #10
HeebieJeebies
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G21 320d xdrive, G22M440i xdri

What made my mind up on a Touring (albeit poverty spec 4pot) was what Chris Harris said about the 3 Series Touring “all the car you’ll ever need” and it is, sold!

Except I also need a 2 door coupe I’m my life

Touring over a saloon for me also, the lines are superb
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2024, 03:16 PM   #11
Stooo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

Seriously consider if you do want the diesel over the petrol. If you change cars every 6-12 months, you’ll find the petrol considerably easier to sell for the price you want.
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2024, 03:33 PM   #12
Funboy78
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks all for the replies and opinions, all are greatly appreciated as I want this purchase to last longer than weeks, months! Hopefully a good couple of years, 3yrs if I'm lucky!

Well it's been an interesting couple of days, I've narrowed down now to:

OPTION 1 (£58K)
Saloon - M340d
White
Tech Plus & Comfort Plus packs
M Sport seats, alcantara with blue stitching
Sunroof
Carbon interior

OPTION 2 (£60K)
Touring - M340d
Brooklyn Grey
Tech Plus & Comfort Plus packs
M Sport seats, alcantara with blue stitching
Sunroof
Carbon interior

Found out today, as of the 1st April the B57 Diesel engine is no more! After the remaining build slots are gone, that's it

I'm now leaning towards the tourer, although I love saloons and have always owned saloons, I think for longevity reasons I'm hoping I would keep a tourer longer…….

Spec wise on both options, other than a towbar it's every extra outside of paint colours and leather. I’m hoping being the highest spec it should mean I keep it longer!

Decision time, I have until 9am Tue 16th to make my final choice!

Last edited by Funboy78; 04-16-2024 at 02:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 03:47 PM   #13
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 325ti Compact Sport, G21 M340i

I have a G21 (Tourer) with the M Sport seats, and I do find them considrably more comfortable than the standard vernasca leather seats in the other cars I tested.

For me, the tourer is better looking, more practical, and also harder to find, so that might help with residuals.

I wanted the pan roof, but my car does not have it, but it does not bother me that much at all, we don't see much sun up in Scotland anyway.
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2024, 03:51 PM   #14
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 325ti Compact Sport, G21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stooo View Post
Seriously consider if you do want the diesel over the petrol. If you change cars every 6-12 months, you’ll find the petrol considerably easier to sell for the price you want.
Maybe for some, but if I did the miles, I'd buy a car with the B57 engine over the B58 every time. Sure, the B58 is great engine, but realisically, you just can't use that performance often on the road, so the benifits of fuel economy of the diesel make that the better buy. To me anyway. But then again... if you live in London, that's different matter, with ULEZ etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 12:09 PM   #15
Funboy78
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So I finally decided to go with Option 2.

I would have ordered white if a saloon, but it doesn't look as good on a tourer imo (only have pictures to go on, so no offence anyone), so decided to go Brooklyn Grey touring.

The dealer is working on swapping the saloon diesel build slot they had left (last 1) with another dealer in exchange for a touring build slot, waiting to hear on that..... hard now apparently as they discontinue the engine, apparently after June there are no further build slots.

They have offered (which I accepted) ceramic coating at £599. Normally I wouldn't use a dealer, but pricing seems in line with most places (unless I'm wrong). Anyone any experience or even heard of BMW doing paint correction and ceramic coatings from new!?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 02:39 PM   #16
HeebieJeebies
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
They have offered (which I accepted) ceramic coating at £599. Normally I wouldn't use a dealer, but pricing seems in line with most places (unless I'm wrong). Anyone any experience or even heard of BMW doing paint correction and ceramic coatings from new!?
Congrats on the choice

Now the stuff that the dealer is offering, paint correction? A coating is on thing, is it Guard X? Save your cash and go to a proper detailer, they will take a day for a new car correction and a further day for the the ceramic coating to cure.

Unless the dealer is using a proper under the lights job by a third party, I’d source my own ‘correction’ and the correct people to do it and apply the ceramic coat.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 03:28 PM   #17
Funboy78
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeebieJeebies View Post
Congrats on the choice

Now the stuff that the dealer is offering, paint correction? A coating is on thing, is it Guard X? Save your cash and go to a proper detailer, they will take a day for a new car correction and a further day for the the ceramic coating to cure.

Unless the dealer is using a proper under the lights job by a third party, I’d source my own ‘correction’ and the correct people to do it and apply the ceramic coat.
Cheers!

I'm really unsure what it is, I was busy this morning and late for a meeting so I said if it's paint correction and proper ceramic then fine, I was told it was.
I'm going to question some more tomorrow, I want to know exactly what it is and what it entails for the exact reasons you say.....

Just wondered if anyone else buying recently has been offered it and know more about this?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 04:14 PM   #18
Nham68
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: M340i touring

Quote:
Cheers!

I'm really unsure what it is, I was busy this morning and late for a meeting so I said if it's paint correction and proper ceramic then fine, I was told it was.
I'm going to question some more tomorrow, I want to know exactly what it is and what it entails for the exact reasons you say.....

Just wondered if anyone else buying recently has been offered it and know more about this?
My dealer offered me ceramic for £650. Told me it would add best part of the day .
My normal detailer, it takes 3 days . 1 day for full clean / decontamination / and polish. 1 day for full coating . 1 day under curing lamps .
If the dealer tells you they can do it in a day , keep your money .. a proper job will cost you close to £1000.
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2024, 05:19 PM   #19
HeebieJeebies
Private First Class
Rep

I think I’ve been offered these ‘coatings’ from dealers for nearly every car I’ve bought, new or second hand, for about the last 20years. My present 2 year old M440i I’ve recently bought is booked in early May for paint correction, ceramic coating along with glass and leather coatings, 3 days this is gonna take. But on the company I’m using, their website, states quite clearly, that they’re not rubbishing every dealership offer, as more and more are offering a bespoke service by third parties.

Yes, certainly dig deeper when you get time
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2024, 03:15 PM   #20
supest
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i

Quote:
Cheers!

I had it offered by the dealer and managed to get it done on the house. They used Autoglym and it took them three days to apply it on the bodywork, interior and glass. It came with a 'lifetime' guarantee which means you can have re-applied if it starts to wear off. Not too sure about the guarantee, but the coating is holding up quite well so far.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 05:57 AM   #21
Funboy78
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by supest View Post
I had it offered by the dealer and managed to get it done on the house. They used Autoglym and it took them three days to apply it on the bodywork, interior and glass. It came with a 'lifetime' guarantee which means you can have re-applied if it starts to wear off. Not too sure about the guarantee, but the coating is holding up quite well so far.
See, this worries me. Autoglym imo is not a £600 product/job. I see Autoglym as a diy product, a home detailers kit like spray wax and other coatings. If I’m paying £600 I want a proper job as outlined above, even if this means paying a little more. The fact yours was thrown in tells me this is not the same level of professionalism.

I will be making a call tomorrow, should have done this sooner but been busy with work. Keep you posted!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 08:27 AM   #22
supest
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i

Quote:
See, this worries me. Autoglym imo is not a £600 product/job. I see Autoglym as a diy product, a home detailers kit like spray wax and other coatings. If I’m paying £600 I want a proper job as outlined above, even if this means paying a little more. The fact yours was thrown in tells me this is not the same level of professionalism.

I will be making a call tomorrow, should have done this sooner but been busy with work. Keep you posted!
I agree with your opinion for the generic Autoglym products that you can buy off-the-shelf, at their stores or website. When I looked into their website last year, my understanding was that the Lifeshine product can only be applied by dealers and is not available for DIY jobs.

Would be good to ask and see what they're using and get comfortable, especially when you're paying for it!

Here's the link for your reference: https://lifeshine.com/
Appreciate 1