BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion    My Buddy Drove His E46 M3 Off A Cliff - VIDEO!!!!

Closed Thread

06-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #111
E90Mario
Brigadier General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: ESS E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
Not cool.
How old are you and your friend?
If you are over 20 you should not be allowed to drive, you drove off a freakin cliff and you are laughing because you didn't get hurt.
Don't take anyone with you when you or your friend die one day because you haven't learnt anything.
You fool why are you coming at me?

I didn't drive off a cliff, my car is sitting in my garage right now.

Open your eyes and read before insulting the wrong person.
      06-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #112
sid21177
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i AW/ 2013 128i AW

Garage List
2013 128i AW  [0.00]
2011 328i AW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIO K View Post
Yup, Tortilla Flats..
have driven that road - in a honda civic i might add - lol
have to drive it in the E90 one day
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #113
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Hell of a crash. So glad your friend came out ok!

Beautiful road, btw.
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #114
GotE46M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Few M cars.

Damn, glad he's Ok though.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #115
E90Mario
Brigadier General
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid21177 View Post
have driven that road - in a honda civic i might add - lol
have to drive it in the E90 one day
lol are you in our Facebook group? We still have random cruises up there. Notice I said cruises, many people have calmed down (driving wise) after this incident..

PM me if you would like me to add you to our group!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01 View Post
Hell of a crash. So glad your friend came out ok!

Beautiful road, btw.
Thank you sir!
      06-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #116
RussRamz
M Slut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute View Post
And this is why you don't race on open roads.

Take it to the track where there are proper barricades and safety precautions
Absolutely yes. He's lucky.

David Brent
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #117
sid21177
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i AW/ 2013 128i AW

Garage List
2013 128i AW  [0.00]
2011 328i AW  [0.00]
Quote:
lol are you in our Facebook group? We still have random cruises up there. Notice I said cruises, many people have calmed down (driving wise) after this incident..

PM me if you would like me to add you to our group!
PM sent!

The BMW is the family car, got outvoted by my daughters on that topic (with my wife's tacit approval - I suspect)

So I can only cruise in it
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #118
CD2534
Private
Rep
Drives: N/A

This gave me the chills. Glad everyone could walk away! To everyone scolding his friend, yes it was stupid, im sure he realized that the second his airbag deployed. And id also assume being in an accident that bad and being able to walk away would change the way you drive completely.

I had a friend flip his car, ever since then hes driven very cautiously and doesn't attempt things like this anymore, lesson learned the hard way.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #119
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
I posted an old thread a little while back of my friend in his E46 M3 driving off a cliff:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=776954

Well today he made the video public.. Enjoy!!

Thank god he's ok! That is scarrrrry to watch. Lot of fast driving in the canyons with no guard rails.
      06-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #120
kihun
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92

all i gotta say is.. what a turd..
      06-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #121
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That side air impact bag was up INSTANTLY. Almost as if it predicted the accident. Impressive.

From the comments above it seems like your friend is alright (neither the video or the original post actually say that). Thank god for that, and for the safety systems in place. Looking at the car from the outside it looks crumpled, but from the interior, the passenger zone is impressively intact.
Thats what I noticed too.

To OP - Has your friend ever driven this road before? HEe should have known to slow down on that corner. You don't go all out the first time you drive a road esp when there are cliffs. lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #122
E90Mario
Brigadier General
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gom3rPile View Post
This gave me the chills. Glad everyone could walk away! To everyone scolding his friend, yes it was stupid, im sure he realized that the second his airbag deployed. And id also assume being in an accident that bad and being able to walk away would change the way you drive completely.

I had a friend flip his car, ever since then hes driven very cautiously and doesn't attempt things like this anymore, lesson learned the hard way.
Thank you, and well said! Glad your friend is okay aswell..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
Thank god he's ok! That is scarrrrry to watch. Lot of fast driving in the canyons with no guard rails.
Thank you for your post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Thats what I noticed too.

To OP - Has your friend ever driven this road before? HEe should have known to slow down on that corner. You don't go all out the first time you drive a road esp when there are cliffs. lol.
From my understanding yes, multiple times. It is a long road though..

I completely agree about going all out on an unknown road!
      06-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #123
Endless619
DHS
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
I hope they made it out ok and by reading the forum they did. Thank goodness.

Wow this brings back memories of a violent crash I had in 1992. Ours was much much worse and I cringed when I saw this video. We went off a 40 foot cliff and rolled 7 times down a mountain and luckily we bounced off a huge rock and slammed into the ground just short of a 100 ft drop.

Things happen so fast when you drive off the cliff and all the BS you say as a teen that I can jump out of the car before it happens is false. You have no time to react and your life can be taken in a second.

I do remember my friend at the time yelling as we kept flipping and bouncing to make it stop and I couldnt do jack shit. The car rolled over my right wrist 7 times at over 2000 pounds each time and totally shattered my wrist in 7 places. A pen went through my knee just under my patella. Other than that I was shaken up pretty bad buy my friend who was the driver had to go to the ER due to his head being split wide open, loss of blood and shock.

I was wearing stonewash jeans that evening and when my friends head hit the windshield it shattered and as his head flipped back, blood blanketed my left leg like someone dumping hot water on my leg. Talk about right out of a movie.

Luckily, our friends were following behind us and saw the entire thing. To this day I remember a white Jetta that saw the entire crash, didnt lift a finger to help us. Such a shame.

The last thing I might add is moments before we went off the cliff I told my buddy to slow down and to put our seat belts on. Usually we never wore them in HS. Low and behold they saved our lives. I had a ball cap on at the time and it was 100 yards from the crash site and I remember the Sheriff saying "see that cap? That's where your body would have been if you would have not had your seatbelt on.":

Anyway sorry for rambling on but this brought back 1992 so fast.

Last edited by Endless619; 06-10-2013 at 06:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #124
melloww22
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

if this was on an open road - his accident is inexcusable... if he posted this video on YouTube, I hope it is after an insurance settlement. Else this is another bad decision... EPIC FAIL

if it was on a close course, either he didn't drive the road/s before hand or he wasn't paying attention...

he is lucky the cliff wasn't taller, he is also lucky he only totalled his car and not his life.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #125
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
You fool why are you coming at me?

I didn't drive off a cliff, my car is sitting in my garage right now.

Open your eyes and read before insulting the wrong person.
Ah.. never mind. Keep driving like an idiot.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 06:31 PM   #126
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Can't speak for anyone else, but on roads I don't know I'm more cautious... on roads I do know, that's when I'll get in to trouble, because that's when I'm likely to be pushing the hardest...
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #127
Endless619
DHS
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkanzky View Post
Just the opposite. He's understeering (the front tires have lost traction, so the car isn't turning despite his steering input). You want weight on the front to hook those tires up.

The textbook thing to do would be what we called the "line recovery technique" in racing school. You do a quick and complete lift off the throttle and then get right back into it so that the back end doesn't come around. Ideally, the front tires will hook up as the weight transitions forward and you can get back toward your line. The car will rotate a bit during all of this and that will scrub a bit of speed too.

He was going _way_ too fast though, so chances are any heroic efforts would have meant he'd go over backward instead of forward.
Exactly. We went over backwards... Plus in the pictures the tires look balled. Why on earth would you be driving like that with those condition tires?

Last edited by Endless619; 06-10-2013 at 06:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #128
E90Mario
Brigadier General
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619 View Post
I hope they made it out ok and by reading the forum they did. Thank goodness.

Wow this brings back memories of a violent crash I had in 1992. Ours was much much worse and I cringed when I saw this video. We went off a 40 foot cliff and rolled 7 times down a mountain and luckily we bounced off a huge rock and slammed into the ground just short of a 100 ft drop.

Things happen so fast when you drive off the cliff and all the BS you say as a teen that I can jump out of the car before it happens if false. You have no time to react and your life can be taken in a second.

I do remember my friend at the time yelling as we kept flipping and bouncing to make it stop and I couldnt do jack shit. The car rolled over my right wrist 7 times at over 2000 pounds each time and totally shattered my wrist in 7 places. A pen went through my knee just under my patella. Other than that I was shaken up pretty bad buy my friend who was the driver had to go to the ER due to his head being split wide open, loss of blood and shock.

I was wearing stonewash jeans that evening and when my friends head hit the windshield it shattered and as his head flipped back, blood blanketed my left leg like someone dumping hot water on my leg. Talk about right out of a movie.

Luckily, our friends were following behind us and saw the entire thing. To this day I remember a white Jetta that saw the entire crash, didnt lift a finger to help us. Such a shame.

The last thing I might add is moments before we went off the cliff I told my buddy to slow down and to put our seat belts on. Usually we never wore them in HS. Low and behold they saved our lives. I had a ball cap on at the time and it was 100 yards from the crash site and I remember the Sheriff saying "see that cap? That's where your body would have been if you would have not had your seatbelt on.":

Anyway sorry for rambling on but this brought back 1992 so fast.
This sent a chill down my spine, I read this and pictured this just as graphically as you described it. Hard to read as I do not wish that harm upon anyone. However I really do appreciate you sharing this story. It's definitely an eye opener. The part that gets me is that you couldn't do shit when the car was flipping to help your friend. Those kind of words hint that you're the type of guy who cares for the well being of friends in a situation like that and not just yourself; and I really respect that!

I hope you and your buddy have since then recovered fully
      06-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #129
Frosty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M240i - 2021 - 6MT -

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
It has a sensor that detects the amount of roll (not so much body roll as much as detecting if the car is flipping in the air) the car is experiencing and if it goes past a certain point it detonates the airbags. It measures other data as well though.
astounding... the tech that saw that side impact coming and deployed the side bag.. amazing..

that said... this is a public road as far as I can see...
Prelude (5MT) (1995)
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #130
manutdas11
EL JIMMY NEURON
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

What an idiot. Lucky to be alive. That's what he gets for driving like an ass all over the road as if he were on the track.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #131
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep
Drives: Purple People Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute View Post
And this is why you don't race on open roads.

Take it to the track where there are proper barricades and safety precautions
+1 They are lucky there weren't any other people on the road. Take it to the track.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #132
Parkanzky
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '10 SGM M3

Quote:
Why is your wife heading down a remotely deserted mountain backroad alone at 5am?
Seriously? It's a public road. His wife has every right to be driving down that road. My wife was driving to work on a twisty country road this morning at about that time.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread