BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion    BMW gets inspiration from...Ford?

06-29-2010, 07:10 PM   #1
fdsasdasdf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330Ci ZHP 6sp

BMW gets inspiration from...Ford?

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...rn-nav-in-cars

Quote:
"So much has changed over the last 10 years—over the last two years, let's face it," says Fran Dance, BMW's telematics services manager. "Ford's Sync changed the game." Before Sync arrived, Dance says that BMW primarily targeted OnStar's functionality. "We all have iPod integration, but Ford really brought telematics to the floor," Dance says. "They leveraged it. And I give [Ford CEO Alan] Mulally an incredible amount of credit for saying 'Look, this is the way that I can differentiate Ford.' It's caused us at BMW to say 'Wait a second, we've got the same bag of tricks.'"
And unrelated, but still freaking awesome:

Quote:
BMW is developing an ever-expanding online store of automotive apps—roadside assistance, for example, is already available. Another app lets drivers measure their car's g-forces and acceleration. Soon, BMW will have an app that can unlock your car's doors. Traffic jams can already be avoided thanks to the integration of traffic alerts and GPS navigation, and within two years, the navigation system will feature a Doppler radar overlay that will be able to route drivers around inclement weather.
Doppler radar overlay = badass. Seeing as the new 3er is predicted for 2012, it could potentially be an option. How cool of a feature would that be?

In my opinion, Ford makes it, but BMW does it better (I apologize for the fanboyism).
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Leave the apps to people who do it best. Why have redundant apps on my car and my phone? Offer a serious phone integration program, and let that do everything else. They should allow the phone to be displayed on the screen, offer a decent interface, and put the R&D money into fixing things like the damn HPFP issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 11:19 PM   #3
AZ135
REALTOR
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Jag XF Supercharged

Quote:
In my opinion, Ford makes it, but BMW does it better
Im not so sure about that. I'd take an ecoboost over an n54. More power and no hpfp issues.

Another example would be the mustang gt being faster aroud a track than an m3 and costing $20k less.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 09:24 AM   #4
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

As I tell anyone who will listen. I am really impressed with what Ford is doing these days. It is nice to have some American cars that we can be proud of...it has been a long time.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 10:19 AM   #5
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
As I tell anyone who will listen. I am really impressed with what Ford is doing these days. It is nice to have some American cars that we can be proud of...it has been a long time.
Agreed. They have solid cars which compete for, or achieve, best-in-class pretty much across the lineup now.

...now if they could just do something about the Lions...
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 10:57 AM   #6
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian325i View Post
BMW has defined the automotive business for decades. The only place where BMW seeks inspiration from is, well, BMW themselves. The best and brightest work at BMW. That's no secret at all.

Virtually all other carmakers out there do look to BMW for inspiration. That's a fact. Look for example at those overpriced Toyota's called Lexus which make use of the hoffmeister kink, a patented BMW trademark. What a shameless rip-off! BMW should sue Toyota for these blatant design infringements!
Drinking the kool-aid.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 10:59 AM   #7
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
BMW has defined the automotive business for decades. The only place where BMW seeks inspiration from is, well, BMW themselves. The best and brightest work at BMW. That's no secret at all.

Virtually all other carmakers out there do look to BMW for inspiration. That's a fact. Look for example at those overpriced Toyota's called Lexus which make use of the hoffmeister kink, a patented BMW trademark. What a shameless rip-off! BMW should sue Toyota for these blatant design infringements!
You're wrong.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 11:12 AM   #8
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

Quote:
BMW is a leader in the automotive world. They're the sort of company that innovates and then others jump on the same bandwagon. It's been like that since the day BMW was founded.
Get your facts straight.

"It was 1928 that made history in terms of the BMW car. Produced at the Eisenbach factory, the Dixi 3/15 PS marked the beginning of BMW automobile production. It was built under license from Austin and was essentially the same model as the US Bantam and the Japanese Datsun."

They had no part in the design of their first car.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 11:54 AM   #9
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
I think it's funny how Brian325i's comments are always erased. Her parents must be really proud of how she turned out.

As for the technology, I'm not sure if people should be messing around w/ so many programs while driving... people have a hard time driving automatics as it is already.