BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion    Reconfirmed: FWD coming to new smaller BMW entry-level models

03-18-2010, 03:24 PM   #111
AMOCHOSTO
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: IB BB E90 M3

I'd definitely consider a BMW "Hot Hatchback" I'm sure they could do better than the Ford Focus RS, which is supposed to be a blast to drive.

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 08:08 PM   #112
vgame64
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by noro View Post
Engine/tranny/diff are essentially one integral unit. No drive shaft really needed. You don't need to design the chassis to accommodate for the drive shaft to pass through from the front to the back.
Understood. Thanks!
Mods: (All OEM) | BMW Performance CF Splitters | BMW Blackline Taillights | BMW Rear Deck Spoiler | BMW Performance Auto Shift Knob and Alcantara Boot | BMW Black Dakota Leather Split Folding Armrest | BMW Euro Fog Light Switch | BMW Style 193M Wheels | BMW Performance Gloss Black Kidney Grills | BMW Front Clear Bra | BMW Performance Steering Wheel (non-elec)
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 01:34 AM   #113
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

I don't get it. FWD will only be offered for the really entry-models. So if you don't like it then don't buy it. What's the problem? Just because BMW is not running its business the way some of you would like doesn't mean they're doing it wrong. I'm just saying let them do what they need to do. If you don't like the cars then buy something else (like a 3 series that's RWD).
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 02:16 AM   #114
poggy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 318i SE

Just my two peneth but if anyone can do a good FWD it is BMW.

They have already succeeded making a FWD car feel like a BMW to drive in the MINI. I know beause i drove one for 130,000 miles and it actually felt like a more refined E30.

I used to think that BMW should only ever do RWD until they made the MINI.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 07:18 AM   #115
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

I would not buy a FWD car again. Made that mistake once...
      03-20-2010, 09:05 AM   #116
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post
takes away from any small exclusivity BMW has...so what, there is gonna be a 25 K bimmer now?

Every second person is going to be driving a car with the BMW badge...as if easy liquidity and low interest rates haven't done that already!
LOL, easy liquidity? WTF does that mean. If anything, people are LESS liquid due to seized housing market and high levels of personal debt.

Second, BMW lost exclusivity a long time ago. Drive through any major city - you will count numerous numbers of 3/5/6 series cars everywhere. Exclusive = Bentley, Maserati, Ferrari
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 07:48 PM   #117
Leo_328i
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Roadster, E39 E36 E34 E30

I'm quite disappointed that BMW has decided to do this.

BMW SAVs? Not a fan but not so bad.
BMW turbocharged engines? Awesome! Bring it on!
BMW M cars without the option of a manual transmission? Fail.
BMW M SAVs? Ultimate Fail.
BMW FWD? Fail.

I've got a Honda Prelude and the main reason why I drive it far less than my BMWs is because it is FWD!

At least the next 1 Series will still be RWD but perhaps it may be the last to be.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 02:10 AM   #118
Bunkei
Anti-Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

There's a saying that goes something like this: Car enthusiasts make lousy businessmen.

I find it a bit interesting that some scoff at a cheap(er) FWD BMW, because the brand would lose its "exclusivity". Does this mean that there is some of you who enjoy the fact that not everyone can afford a BMW? Is that an ego trip or what? I thought the average BMW owner on this board bought one because of its dynamics and performance?

Secondly, most of you who are complaining about these changes are happy BMW owners. Why would you frown on a company that is taking steps to make sure they stay profitable (or aka "keep their doors open")? It's apparent that building cars solely for enthusiasts is not enough.

I'd totally understand the frustration if BMW was trimming back or eliminating the performance in its cars that it's well-known for, but that's not the case. They're expanding their business for the simple fact that they're especially sensitive to the economic downturn that's happening throughout the world, being a premium automaker.

The fact that they're trying to expand their horizons, so they stay financially viable, is commendable and to be expected. I honestly think that it's a bit arrogant to thumb your nose at BMW simply because they break with "tradition". They are running a business, never forget that. If they only appeal to enthusiasts, then they won't be in business for long. If making a cheaper, FWD BMW keeps them in business, and keeps them making the cars you love, why are you complaining??

Makes absolutely no sense ..

</rant>
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 10:06 AM   #119
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkei View Post
There's a saying that goes something like this: Car enthusiasts make lousy businessmen.

>

There's also a saying hte industry that: Businessmen make lousy cars.

Take a look at what the bean counters did to GM over the last 30 years, and take a look at the position they've put Toyota in right now if you need further proof.

BMW is heading down a bad path, and it's being driven by greed. When short term profits come before building quality cars that fit the companies mission statement (Ultimate Driving Machine) it's a sure sign that things have changed.

BMW has always built the worlds best sports sedans. Right now they've got serious competition in nearly every class they're competing it, and it's my opinion that they've lost their competive advantage because they're going in too many directions at once, and doing none of it at the level they once were.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 12:29 PM   #120
Scorpion
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Nothing

I'm guessing the BMW Megacity they were talking about is going to be FWD as well?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 12:55 PM   #121
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

70 % of cars in Europe are FWD. The best FWD car ever build is MINI, and it is a BMW. What is the matter of putting a BMW badge on a MINI? Anyway all the other 1 Series, 3 Series, 5 Series and 7 Series will stay RWD, and AWD.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 12:57 PM   #122
Ron1n
Speed Demon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Garage List
2021 M5 Competition  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2011 335is  [0.00]
2009 E93 M3  [10.00]
2010 335d  [9.50]
What a bunch of drama queens...

That's all I have to say.

Current: '21 M5C, '15 X6 50i Previous: '18 M550i, '16 550i, '11 335is, '09 E93 M3 DCT, '10 E90 335d, '07 E90 328i
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 02:10 PM   #123
Bunkei
Anti-Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
There's also a saying hte industry that: Businessmen make lousy cars.

Take a look at what the bean counters did to GM over the last 30 years, and take a look at the position they've put Toyota in right now if you need further proof.

BMW is heading down a bad path, and it's being driven by greed. When short term profits come before building quality cars that fit the companies mission statement (Ultimate Driving Machine) it's a sure sign that things have changed.

BMW has always built the worlds best sports sedans. Right now they've got serious competition in nearly every class they're competing it, and it's my opinion that they've lost their competive advantage because they're going in too many directions at once, and doing none of it at the level they once were.
I don't see the connection between BMW and GM nor how expanding BMW's portfolio necessarily means building less-quality automobiles.

How did they lose their competitive advantage?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 10:47 AM   #124
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkei View Post
I don't see the connection between BMW and GM nor how expanding BMW's portfolio necessarily means building less-quality automobiles.

How did they lose their competitive advantage?

Look at the HPFP fiasco we're involved in right now. It effects a huge number of vehicles, has been going on for 4 years now, and even though there's no fix for it, they're still selling them left and right. The quality of the 1 Series is downright appalling. I've never owned a newer car with so many issues.

In every performance sedan comparision BMW used to win it hands down. Today they may still come out on top, but it's by a narrow margin. The competition has caught up. Audi and Cadillac are both nipping at their heels, and even outperforming them in some cases.

Buy hey, the consumer will vote with their wallet. If BMW wants to go from being "The Ultimate Driving Machine" to the ultimate diviersified automaker, more power to them, but I'll be taking my business elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 10:34 PM   #125
Leo_328i
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Roadster, E39 E36 E34 E30

Its not just the car enthusiast in me that says that this is a bad idea.

I study business as well and one of huge thing in marketing is the fact that "you cannot be all things to all people".

The strongest brands are the ones that make ONE type of product and do it extremely well, they hold a strong position in the customer's mind. The worst brands are the ones that dilute themselves and diversify too much, the customer can easily become confused as what the brand stands for.

BMW is at risk of damaging the brand. If they are going to make FWD cars at least do it under a different brand name! I have no problem with the Mini and other brands being FWD!

Read "The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing" by Jack Trout and Al Reiss and you will see the point.

Its almost like a politician saying one thing and then going back on their word - BMW has advertised the advantages of RWD so much, especially when the E87 1 Series launched in 2004 in Australian and European markets.

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 08:34 AM   #126
E in Phila
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_328i View Post
Its not just the car enthusiast in me that says that this is a bad idea.

I study business as well and one of huge thing in marketing is the fact that "you cannot be all things to all people".

The strongest brands are the ones that make ONE type of product and do it extremely well, they hold a strong position in the customer's mind. The worst brands are the ones that dilute themselves and diversify too much, the customer can easily become confused as what the brand stands for.

BMW is at risk of damaging the brand. If they are going to make FWD cars at least do it under a different brand name! I have no problem with the Mini and other brands being FWD!

Read "The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing" by Jack Trout and Al Reiss and you will see the point.

Its almost like a politician saying one thing and then going back on their word - BMW has advertised the advantages of RWD so much, especially when the E87 1 Series launched in 2004 in Australian and European markets.

OK business student, can you or someone else who thinks this is such a reprehensible idea explain what other approach BMW would be better off using to meet looming CAFE standards?

No one on the "brand purity" side of the argument seems to want to address the subject. If BMW can sell a bunch of highly efficient subcompacts, it lessens the pressure on them to trade performance for efficiency in the rest of the product line. BMW does not operate in a vacuum... they must consider the legislative climate, and the possibility of further fuel crunches down the road.

Maybe expanding their reach in the small market isn't such a crazy idea? Sometimes you've got to adjust your strategy to match reality, and the reality right now is that small and efficient is not only financially important, it's mandated.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #127
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E in Phila View Post
OK business student, can you or someone else who thinks this is such a reprehensible idea explain what other approach BMW would be better off using to meet looming CAFE standards?

No one on the "brand purity" side of the argument seems to want to address the subject. If BMW can sell a bunch of highly efficient subcompacts, it lessens the pressure on them to trade performance for efficiency in the rest of the product line. BMW does not operate in a vacuum... they must consider the legislative climate, and the possibility of further fuel crunches down the road.

Maybe expanding their reach in the small market isn't such a crazy idea? Sometimes you've got to adjust your strategy to match reality, and the reality right now is that small and efficient is not only financially important, it's mandated.

This is the whole purpose of Mini.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 12:12 PM   #128
E in Phila
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
This is the whole purpose of Mini.
The market for the Mini is not likely to be as large as the market for the Mini + a small BMW, although the development costs can be spread between both.

The more pissant cars they sell, the more power they can afford to put in the rest of the line. That is the legislative reality.

BMW has a history of being fined for failing to meet CAFE standards, and the standards are scheduled to get much tougher. And US and Canadian standards have historically been the lowest among first world nations.

They need to sell more small cars... it is what is it.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 01:52 PM   #129
MDS
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None

NUF SED!

"In a conference call with reporters and analysts, BMW CEO Norbert Reithofer revealed that 80 percent of BMW 1-Series drivers believed they were driving a front-wheel drive car."

LINK: http://www.worldcarfans.com/11003222...-a-front-wheel
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 02:03 PM   #130
MDS
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None

"In a conference call with reporters and analysts, BMW CEO Norbert Reithofer revealed that 80 percent of BMW 1-Series drivers believed they were driving a front-wheel drive car."

LINK: http://www.worldcarfans.com/11003222...-a-front-wheel
Appreciate 0