BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Official sneak peek at F90 M5 LCI restyled front end and new red color

05-29-2020, 01:54 AM   #45
Neptune7
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Cool video with Seungmo Lim, the guy who designed the F90:

https://www.bmw-m.com/en/topics/maga...-1-sketch.html
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 08:24 AM   #46
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

Color reminds me of that warm color that those newer scions are using... regardless, nice lil shot
      05-29-2020, 08:30 AM   #47
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Is this real or PS?
Attached Images

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 10:11 AM   #48
mbanck
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320ci, BMW F34 330dx

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixbmwlife View Post
Is this real or PS?
Photoshop.
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2020, 11:50 AM   #49
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

That is not real.
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 01:40 PM   #50
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky dj View Post
I don't know what the big deal is on these LCI headlights SMH... I was driving the other day and say a car coming up to, I thought "whoa is that a new 5 series??" NO, turns out to be a new Jaguar XJ (look them up) couldn't be more disappointed... that is was Jaguar B) that BMW had to copy a Jaguar headlight design 🙄
You've never seen G20 3 series? This design is a logical continuation of the G20 headlight design.
Yes and no. The design across all models are more angular than circular, but the "halo" on the G20 points back inwards vs the G30 where it's just a "L" shape.
This.

We've gone firm partial hexagon to just hockey stick.
      05-29-2020, 02:22 PM   #51
ice31
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x3 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMETREE View Post
Question to everyone, I'm going to order a 20' M5 comp,would it be better to wait for the LCI?
Depends on the deal you can get, if money is not of importance, then by all means, wait for it. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 06:14 PM   #52
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

I got my MY2021 production number today. Put the order together with my CA yesterday. There are couple new colors available and no more separation between std and Competition. You now just add competition package to your standard model.
      05-29-2020, 08:50 PM   #53
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
I got my MY2021 production number today. Put the order together with my CA yesterday. There are couple new colors available and no more separation between std and Competition. You now just add competition package to your standard model.
What week are you?

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 04:16 AM   #54
SFT33
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E28, E34, E60 & F10 M5s

What are the new colors?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 08:58 AM   #55
MikeStammer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C DG

Garage List
2021 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
are dealers able to start putting builds together already on the 21s?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 09:50 PM   #56
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
when are they expecting delivery? October?
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 10:21 PM   #57
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M850GC Tanzanite Blue Metallic

These pictures are very close to the real video/picture that was released!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greer View Post
That is not real.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 02:41 AM   #58
mjr24
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp GC, X7, AMG GT53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moopai View Post
These pictures are very close to the real video/picture that was released!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greer View Post
That is not real.
Seems BMW is doing away with the Comp being a separate model. Was it the X4 maybe where a thread was just posted on the home page a couple days ago where they said the same thing (that Comp was now an upgrade to the base model instead of being a separate car).
2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 09:27 AM   #59
dappercivility
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drj161 View Post
from this angle, it looks like a vw golf or a jetta!!!! or an Audi. damn BMW losing your identity
I have the same exact thoughts. Side view of those drl tubes reminds me of VW.
      06-04-2020, 10:20 AM   #60
mbanck
Captain
Rep

https://de.motor1.com/reviews/426692...chon-gefahren/ is a report of a journalist who joined an M5 LCI test drive along with Jörg Weidinger. He mentions they've carried over and adopted the updates from the 8 series, made the adaptive suspension more comfortable in comfort mode, but there are no power train changes.

Google translate:

BMW M5 (2020) facelift already done: That's why the E 63 opponent is better

Have you always wanted to know how M GmbH upgrades its cars? We were there ... and had to hold on very well

I am in the front seat of a camouflaged BMW saloon and my right hand clings to the door handle with everything it has. In the long history of the door handle, one specimen has rarely been squeezed more than this poor thing.

The combination of M chassis developer Jörg Weidinger and the prototype of a facelift M5 shown is absolute poison for any form of stomachs or serious facial expressions. If I were not reasonably familiar with the Nordschleife as a driver / co-driver, BMW could probably replace the seat covers after this trip. In other words, it's great.

Why am I telling you all this? Well, the gentlemen of M GmbH were kind enough to invite me to a so-called pre-departure with the M5 LCI. LCI (Life Cicle Impuls) is the marketing expression for model maintenance at Munich and since the M5 will now soon have three years under its belt, it is high time for a proper LCI according to the usual business mechanisms.

How it all looks superficial, we could already get an idea of it with the facelift of the normal 5 Series . Kidney, headlights and taillights will change slightly and the aprons will look a little different. To this end, a larger touchscreen (12.3 instead of 10.25 inches) will do its infotainment work in the future.

We are now flying down the fox tube (at a speed that fortunately I cannot see because the instruments are still covered so that only the driver can recognize them) and that we are not yet somewhere at a height of 10 meters between two trees before like a miracle.

Weidinger is not only a chassis developer and extremely likeable contemporary, but has also been a racing driver for ages, including in the VLN, the ADAC GT Masters and mountain races. How he throws this almost five meter long two-ton truck around is a little scary and completely virtuoso at the same time. The M5 does all the insanity surprisingly without complaints, looks incredibly stable and quite indestructible in terms of traction.

In addition, it also shows its excellent all-wheel drive balance here, the rear-emphasized, but confidence-inspiring driving behavior at the limit. You can do the thing in 4WD mode relatively safely with deactivated DSC, the five already regulates it.

Just to demonstrate what around 0.05 percent of customers do in real operation, Weidinger hits the 2WD mode before the next curve, which turns the M5 into a rear-wheel drive vehicle, and fires the fat man completely through the next bend. Um, sure ... why not ?! Sometimes the car really looks like a tank turning pirouettes and flipping somersaults.

At least as remarkable, however, is the completely barbaric thrust of the 4.4-liter biturbo V8, which cuts off your breath every now and then when you accelerate out on the track. In terms of performance, I was assured, everything remains as before. In other words: 600 PS for the M5, 625 PS for the M5 Competition .

Weidinger turns the tap on a few more times and after probably less than seven minutes we turn back onto Döttinger Höhe. My stomach is still wandering a bit, but during the slow photo tour we have time to chat a bit about the optimizations on the car.

Weidinger tells me that in this case a total of around 15 people are involved in the chassis. Surprisingly, such an M-car (at least it was the case with the M5) only drives around 50 laps on the ring during the facelift. The rest is a lot of country roads and a lot of freeway for a performance ship like the M5.
If you've always wanted to know what technical evolution looks like in the life of a model family, the M5 / M8 household is a prime example. As is known, the sedan and the coupé (including the convertible and grand coupé) share large parts of the technology. The M8s came later, however, according to Weidinger, you could already rely on press and customer feedback, for example with regard to the damper system, and incorporate corresponding improvements.

What has been learned is now also used in the lifted M5. "After a few attempts, we are now adopting the damper set-up from the M8 Gran Coupé," says Weidinger. "This also means that the rules for the adaptive dampers have to be readjusted." Is the hardware so different? "Yes, it is quite different. You always think about it during a model cycle."

The conflict of goals between comfort and sportiness is the big issue here. Many found the M5, especially as a competition, a little bit ... well ... ambitious, to put it subtly.

Weidinger says: "He was always sporty and fast, he always set the lap times in the class, but one point, for example, was always the back seat comfort. Or on the highway. The car is very stable, a bench, too if you drive 300, but can you do that with even better comfort? And if I can improve here without losing performance, I try to take it with me. "

But it was not just the dampers that were polished. "The M5 now also takes over the newer M8 wiring system. You have to check your systems anyway and take the opportunity to work on the all-wheel drive and the regulated rear axle lock and improve yourself."

The main goal from the suspension developer's point of view was definitely to increase driving comfort. With at least constant performance characteristics, of course.

And that's a point you'll actually notice while driving. At least that's what happened to me. After I apparently swore sufficiently to bring the prototype back in one piece, I was kindly allowed to move it a bit through the glorious Eifel curves.

Compared to the completely wild border area party, which the steering wheel god Weidinger celebrated earlier on the Nordschleife, the M5 looks about as demanding as at the bingo evening in the senior citizens' pen. He donates knowledge to me anyway. I think I feel that the steering feels a bit more natural and less like a hard-pressed eraser (pretty much the only thing I didn't like about the prefacelift-M5).

In addition - as long as my memories don't play a trick on me - it is more comfortable than before. It looks smoother and doesn't shine through so dry with short strokes. That was mind you the comfort mode (the driving mode switches were still taped) of the normal M5.

How it looks with the M5 Competition in Sport Plus is another question. Nevertheless, I think that in the future he will be more merciful with the butts, whirls and seals of his crew in everyday life. That would be in the general interest, after all, almost 70 percent of the customers have so far opted for the stronger, sharper and even tighter competition.

It remains to be seen how the approaching facelift will affect the epic duel of the BMW M5 and Mercedes-AMG E 63 business racing cars (which also happens to be receiving a lift). Both were at eye level like never before, the M5 maybe a tick better on the track. With the LCI measures, the Bayer will also gain a little in everyday life. This in turn creates space for an even more aggressive, extreme M5 CS , which will probably also be presented soon.

What you do not have to change / improve at all in Garching are the door handles - they are really stable. Everything else and photos without camouflage film on June 17th when the M5 officially celebrates its premiere.
Appreciate 2
      06-04-2020, 04:22 PM   #61
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanck View Post
https://de.motor1.com/reviews/426692...chon-gefahren/ is a report of a journalist who joined an M5 LCI test drive along with Jörg Weidinger. He mentions they've carried over and adopted the updates from the 8 series, made the adaptive suspension more comfortable in comfort mode, but there are no power train changes.

Google translate:

BMW M5 (2020) facelift already done: That's why the E 63 opponent is better

Have you always wanted to know how M GmbH upgrades its cars? We were there ... and had to hold on very well

I am in the front seat of a camouflaged BMW saloon and my right hand clings to the door handle with everything it has. In the long history of the door handle, one specimen has rarely been squeezed more than this poor thing.

The combination of M chassis developer Jörg Weidinger and the prototype of a facelift M5 shown is absolute poison for any form of stomachs or serious facial expressions. If I were not reasonably familiar with the Nordschleife as a driver / co-driver, BMW could probably replace the seat covers after this trip. In other words, it's great.

Why am I telling you all this? Well, the gentlemen of M GmbH were kind enough to invite me to a so-called pre-departure with the M5 LCI. LCI (Life Cicle Impuls) is the marketing expression for model maintenance at Munich and since the M5 will now soon have three years under its belt, it is high time for a proper LCI according to the usual business mechanisms.

How it all looks superficial, we could already get an idea of it with the facelift of the normal 5 Series . Kidney, headlights and taillights will change slightly and the aprons will look a little different. To this end, a larger touchscreen (12.3 instead of 10.25 inches) will do its infotainment work in the future.

We are now flying down the fox tube (at a speed that fortunately I cannot see because the instruments are still covered so that only the driver can recognize them) and that we are not yet somewhere at a height of 10 meters between two trees before like a miracle.

Weidinger is not only a chassis developer and extremely likeable contemporary, but has also been a racing driver for ages, including in the VLN, the ADAC GT Masters and mountain races. How he throws this almost five meter long two-ton truck around is a little scary and completely virtuoso at the same time. The M5 does all the insanity surprisingly without complaints, looks incredibly stable and quite indestructible in terms of traction.

In addition, it also shows its excellent all-wheel drive balance here, the rear-emphasized, but confidence-inspiring driving behavior at the limit. You can do the thing in 4WD mode relatively safely with deactivated DSC, the five already regulates it.

Just to demonstrate what around 0.05 percent of customers do in real operation, Weidinger hits the 2WD mode before the next curve, which turns the M5 into a rear-wheel drive vehicle, and fires the fat man completely through the next bend. Um, sure ... why not ?! Sometimes the car really looks like a tank turning pirouettes and flipping somersaults.

At least as remarkable, however, is the completely barbaric thrust of the 4.4-liter biturbo V8, which cuts off your breath every now and then when you accelerate out on the track. In terms of performance, I was assured, everything remains as before. In other words: 600 PS for the M5, 625 PS for the M5 Competition .

Weidinger turns the tap on a few more times and after probably less than seven minutes we turn back onto Döttinger Höhe. My stomach is still wandering a bit, but during the slow photo tour we have time to chat a bit about the optimizations on the car.

Weidinger tells me that in this case a total of around 15 people are involved in the chassis. Surprisingly, such an M-car (at least it was the case with the M5) only drives around 50 laps on the ring during the facelift. The rest is a lot of country roads and a lot of freeway for a performance ship like the M5.
If you've always wanted to know what technical evolution looks like in the life of a model family, the M5 / M8 household is a prime example. As is known, the sedan and the coupé (including the convertible and grand coupé) share large parts of the technology. The M8s came later, however, according to Weidinger, you could already rely on press and customer feedback, for example with regard to the damper system, and incorporate corresponding improvements.

What has been learned is now also used in the lifted M5. "After a few attempts, we are now adopting the damper set-up from the M8 Gran Coupé," says Weidinger. "This also means that the rules for the adaptive dampers have to be readjusted." Is the hardware so different? "Yes, it is quite different. You always think about it during a model cycle."

The conflict of goals between comfort and sportiness is the big issue here. Many found the M5, especially as a competition, a little bit ... well ... ambitious, to put it subtly.

Weidinger says: "He was always sporty and fast, he always set the lap times in the class, but one point, for example, was always the back seat comfort. Or on the highway. The car is very stable, a bench, too if you drive 300, but can you do that with even better comfort? And if I can improve here without losing performance, I try to take it with me. "

But it was not just the dampers that were polished. "The M5 now also takes over the newer M8 wiring system. You have to check your systems anyway and take the opportunity to work on the all-wheel drive and the regulated rear axle lock and improve yourself."

The main goal from the suspension developer's point of view was definitely to increase driving comfort. With at least constant performance characteristics, of course.

And that's a point you'll actually notice while driving. At least that's what happened to me. After I apparently swore sufficiently to bring the prototype back in one piece, I was kindly allowed to move it a bit through the glorious Eifel curves.

Compared to the completely wild border area party, which the steering wheel god Weidinger celebrated earlier on the Nordschleife, the M5 looks about as demanding as at the bingo evening in the senior citizens' pen. He donates knowledge to me anyway. I think I feel that the steering feels a bit more natural and less like a hard-pressed eraser (pretty much the only thing I didn't like about the prefacelift-M5).

In addition - as long as my memories don't play a trick on me - it is more comfortable than before. It looks smoother and doesn't shine through so dry with short strokes. That was mind you the comfort mode (the driving mode switches were still taped) of the normal M5.

How it looks with the M5 Competition in Sport Plus is another question. Nevertheless, I think that in the future he will be more merciful with the butts, whirls and seals of his crew in everyday life. That would be in the general interest, after all, almost 70 percent of the customers have so far opted for the stronger, sharper and even tighter competition.

It remains to be seen how the approaching facelift will affect the epic duel of the BMW M5 and Mercedes-AMG E 63 business racing cars (which also happens to be receiving a lift). Both were at eye level like never before, the M5 maybe a tick better on the track. With the LCI measures, the Bayer will also gain a little in everyday life. This in turn creates space for an even more aggressive, extreme M5 CS , which will probably also be presented soon.

What you do not have to change / improve at all in Garching are the door handles - they are really stable. Everything else and photos without camouflage film on June 17th when the M5 officially celebrates its premiere.
Awesome find

I wonder how much of things are coding vs parts... I don't find the comfort setting bad, but considering I came from an F80, I might be biased.

So June 17th is the reveal date....
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 11:40 PM   #62
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

Comfier comfort mode would be a great update.... anybody been in an 8GC and can speak to the damper setup?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 08:30 AM   #63
mbanck
Captain
Rep

There's now an official english translation: https://www.motor1.com/reviews/42721...pdate-an-icon/
Appreciate 1