BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    EVOLUTION RACEWERKS Downpipes install

04-03-2020, 06:36 PM   #23
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw.mozambique View Post
my Akroz are not lining up nicely. could it be installer issue? they've told me they did everything to get them to line perfectly.

I thought it was a bit dubious
My best bet is installer issue.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 06:46 PM   #24
ss_m5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Compitition

Thanks for everyone's help my shop was able to get these DP’s installed after 2 days and big fat bill for the extra time it took. So when making your decision on DP’s make sure you put the labor costs in your calculations. My shop told me ER was a pain in the ass to get right especially on the right driver side. The left side wasn’t too bad it still needed a little finessing. They had to take down the whole Comp exhaust system to get it to fit. These guys have installed hundred of DP’s they know what they are doing. Fingers crossed let's see how they hold up. Nothing against ER DP’s it looked and feels very solid but fitment is just not there. In fairness, the shop said once they hooked everything up it was buttoned up nicely with no rattles or leaks. I’m sure ER has their clients that don’t mind dealing with problems like this, I’m just not one of these guys. I still have a feeling I’ll be ripping these off and going with the more premium brand which I should have gone with from the start. My gut told me to go with MSR or Keller. Oh well it might be a 2k+ mistake ☹

I know there are more bad reviews out there about various products. Its unfortunate we just don’t hear more about them on these forums. I’m not here to make friends, I’m here to help myself and others keep these cars safe and make wise decisions.. It seems like we only get all good reviews on these forums. Let’s start hearing about what’s not so great out there. If you really want to wake up go check out the WhatsApp M5 group. Most guys will reconsider touching these motors after reading some of the shit that’s happening out there.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 07:56 PM   #25
JBA87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5

FWIW .. my ERS sound amazing run great and we're totallllllyyyyy worth the price .. fuck expensive Keller
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 08:19 PM   #26
ss_m5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBA87 View Post
FWIW .. my ERS sound amazing run great and we're totallllllyyyyy worth the price .. fuck expensive Keller
You are correct it sounds incredible. I'm definitely rethinking my exhaust mod. It's very loud in a good way. I don't think it's for me but I would still love to hear full DP's and full Remus Exhaust. I need to figure out how to get better looking tips because the stock tips look so weak.

I think all the DP's will preform equally once you get it fitted correctly. I think what you're getting with Keller and MSR is that peace of mind and that quick installation without any headache. Now the next guy will know that ER is a solid product but be prepared to put some time and muscle into the installation.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 09:20 PM   #27
Mcc420
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX

Garage List
2023 g80x  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_m5 View Post
You are correct it sounds incredible. I'm definitely rethinking my exhaust mod. It's very loud in a good way. I don't think it's for me but I would still love to hear full DP's and full Remus Exhaust. I need to figure out how to get better looking tips because the stock tips look so weak.

I think all the DP's will preform equally once you get it fitted correctly. I think what you're getting with Keller and MSR is that peace of mind and that quick installation without any headache. Now the next guy will know that ER is a solid product but be prepared to put some time and muscle into the installation.
FYI Keller and Msr are 3.5" compared to Er 3" so I'm not sure they all perform the same. The fastest car on this forum is running 3.5". That's why I got Keller dp's. Plus it'll hold a higher resale value 👍🏾. And the Kellers are coated which is around 300-400 depending on the coating. So Kellers are kinda the best bang for your buck (fitment, size 3.5", coating) if you have extra money to invest lol.

F90 Comp, Hcp custom e40 meth, 9.76@143, 174ml/h 1/2ml 60-130 5.53

F10 M5, HCP Tune ,BM3, 10:8@137, 166.05 1/2ml.
Ig @mcc420
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 09:50 PM   #28
ss_m5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcc420 View Post
Quote:

FYI Keller and Msr are 3.5" compared to Er 3" so I'm not sure they all perform the same. The fastest car on this forum is running 3.5". That's why I got Keller dp's. Plus it'll hold a higher resale value 👍🏾. And the Kellers are coated which is around 300-400 depending on the coating. So Kellers are kinda the best bang for your buck (fitment, size 3.5", coating) if you have extra money to invest lol.
You might be correct but I'm not trying to be the fastest. I'll leave to the guys that have bigger BALLS then me
Appreciate 1
Mcc420475.00
      04-04-2020, 08:34 AM   #29
Higgs Boson
In the Details
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2020 AMG GTR  [0.00]
2022 R8 Quattro Spyder  [0.00]
2023 X5M50  [0.00]
2023 718 Spyder  [0.00]
2024 Silverado  [0.00]
2024 Civic Type R  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for everyone's help my shop was able to get these DP’s installed after 2 days and big fat bill for the extra time it took. So when making your decision on DP’s make sure you put the labor costs in your calculations. My shop told me ER was a pain in the ass to get right especially on the right driver side. The left side wasn’t too bad it still needed a little finessing. They had to take down the whole Comp exhaust system to get it to fit. These guys have installed hundred of DP’s they know what they are doing. Fingers crossed let's see how they hold up. Nothing against ER DP’s it looked and feels very solid but fitment is just not there. In fairness, the shop said once they hooked everything up it was buttoned up nicely with no rattles or leaks. I’m sure ER has their clients that don’t mind dealing with problems like this, I’m just not one of these guys. I still have a feeling I’ll be ripping these off and going with the more premium brand which I should have gone with from the start. My gut told me to go with MSR or Keller. Oh well it might be a 2k+ mistake ☹

I know there are more bad reviews out there about various products. Its unfortunate we just don’t hear more about them on these forums. I’m not here to make friends, I’m here to help myself and others keep these cars safe and make wise decisions.. It seems like we only get all good reviews on these forums. Let’s start hearing about what’s not so great out there. If you really want to wake up go check out the WhatsApp M5 group. Most guys will reconsider touching these motors after reading some of the shit that’s happening out there.
I paid $180 to have my ER uppers installed.

Maybe you got a Monday or Friday build.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 10:13 AM   #30
ss_m5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
Quote:

I paid $180 to have my ER uppers installed.

Maybe you got a Monday or Friday build.
That's what happens when there's no competition around you. There aren't many good performance shops in my area. Most of these guys will not touch DP's so this drives up labor cost. I paid 850 for full DP's. Oh for anyone that's live in MD there's a new law for emission tests for new cars. It use to be every 2 years you would have to go get your emissions test. This has recently changed to every 3 years in MD for new cars. This is a big help for us guys that mod and lease our cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 10:16 AM   #31
Higgs Boson
In the Details
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2020 AMG GTR  [0.00]
2022 R8 Quattro Spyder  [0.00]
2023 X5M50  [0.00]
2023 718 Spyder  [0.00]
2024 Silverado  [0.00]
2024 Civic Type R  [0.00]
Quote:
That's what happens when there's no competition around you. There aren't many good performance shops in my area. Most of these guys will not touch DP's so this drives up labor cost. I paid 850 for full DP's. Oh for anyone that's live in MD there's a new law for emission tests for new cars. It use to be every 2 years you would have to go get your emissions test. This has recently changed to every 3 years in MD for new cars. This is a big help for us guys that mod and lease our cars.
I moved from TX to MD for 2.5 years and was like, WTF??? and I moved back to TX.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 05:06 PM   #32
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for everyone's help my shop was able to get these DP's installed after 2 days and big fat bill for the extra time it took. So when making your decision on DP's make sure you put the labor costs in your calculations. My shop told me ER was a pain in the ass to get right especially on the right driver side. The left side wasn't too bad it still needed a little finessing. They had to take down the whole Comp exhaust system to get it to fit. These guys have installed hundred of DP's they know what they are doing. Fingers crossed let's see how they hold up. Nothing against ER DP's it looked and feels very solid but fitment is just not there. In fairness, the shop said once they hooked everything up it was buttoned up nicely with no rattles or leaks. I'm sure ER has their clients that don't mind dealing with problems like this, I'm just not one of these guys. I still have a feeling I'll be ripping these off and going with the more premium brand which I should have gone with from the start. My gut told me to go with MSR or Keller. Oh well it might be a 2k+ mistake ☹

I know there are more bad reviews out there about various products. Its unfortunate we just don't hear more about them on these forums. I'm not here to make friends, I'm here to help myself and others keep these cars safe and make wise decisions.. It seems like we only get all good reviews on these forums. Let's start hearing about what's not so great out there. If you really want to wake up go check out the WhatsApp M5 group. Most guys will reconsider touching these motors after reading some of the shit that's happening out there.
Hmm, from this post. I do have full confidence saying that your shop not knowing what to do.

Yes they have installed a lot of downpipes, but that doesn't mean anything.

BMW tech sees and works on a lot of BMW, but they still screws up in doing their routin work.

Why they are finally have to take down the whole exhaust system? That is the first thing to do to work on downpipe, to create more room since downpipe is sitting in between the exhaust system and the engine.
So, based on what I understand from what you said, they have been fighting it to get the driver side in without removing the exhaust. Then blame the product.
It is like trying to write without opening up the ballpoint.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 05:22 PM   #33
ss_m5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Quote:
Thanks for everyone's help my shop was able to get these DP's installed after 2 days and big fat bill for the extra time it took. So when making your decision on DP's make sure you put the labor costs in your calculations. My shop told me ER was a pain in the ass to get right especially on the right driver side. The left side wasn't too bad it still needed a little finessing. They had to take down the whole Comp exhaust system to get it to fit. These guys have installed hundred of DP's they know what they are doing. Fingers crossed let's see how they hold up. Nothing against ER DP's it looked and feels very solid but fitment is just not there. In fairness, the shop said once they hooked everything up it was buttoned up nicely with no rattles or leaks. I'm sure ER has their clients that don't mind dealing with problems like this, I'm just not one of these guys. I still have a feeling I'll be ripping these off and going with the more premium brand which I should have gone with from the start. My gut told me to go with MSR or Keller. Oh well it might be a 2k+ mistake ☹

I know there are more bad reviews out there about various products. Its unfortunate we just don't hear more about them on these forums. I'm not here to make friends, I'm here to help myself and others keep these cars safe and make wise decisions.. It seems like we only get all good reviews on these forums. Let's start hearing about what's not so great out there. If you really want to wake up go check out the WhatsApp M5 group. Most guys will reconsider touching these motors after reading some of the shit that's happening out there.
Hmm, from this post. I do have full confidence saying that your shop not knowing what to do.

Yes they have installed a lot of downpipes, but that doesn't mean anything.

BMW tech sees and works on a lot of BMW, but they still screws up in doing their routin work.

Why they are finally have to take down the whole exhaust system? That is the first thing to do to work on downpipe, to create more room since downpipe is sitting in between the exhaust system and the engine.
So, based on what I understand from what you said, they have been fighting it to get the driver side in without removing the exhaust. Then blame the product.
It is like trying to write without opening up the ballpoint.
That's me not knowing anything about installing DP's not them. I got that wrong and after talking to them again the next day I asked them that same question about taking the exhaust off. The exhaust was removed the the whole time so yes they still had difficulties installing the DP's with the exhaust removed. That is Routine for them to take the whole exhaust off to install DP's. I have a lot of confidence in them and anybody in the DC metro area that needs downpipe's installed for their F90 go to GTpeace in Va.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 06:04 PM   #34
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's me not knowing anything about installing DP's not them. I got that wrong and after talking to them again the next day I asked them that same question about taking the exhaust off. The exhaust was removed the the whole time so yes they still had difficulties installing the DP's with the exhaust removed. That is Routine for them to take the whole exhaust off to install DP's. I have a lot of confidence in them and anybody in the DC metro area that needs downpipe's installed for their F90 go to GTpeace in Va.
Got it.

But I still have a feeling that it is installer issue.
Between me and a few other vendors in this forum, like AutoTalent and X-PH, I can say that we have sold at least 200 sets of ER downpipe to F90 community and I haven't heard any single issue on fitment.
Yes, it is a little harder to install, but there is no fitment issue.
As you mentioned.
"the shop said once they hooked everything up it was buttoned up nicely with no rattles or leaks."

That is not fitment issue. It is more of installer issue.
I bet you if you give him a MSR or Keller downpipe the first time, he will have the same issue.

Too bad I don't have pictures of product fit fitment issues. It is a nightmare. Nothings lining up even with a muscle-ing and the manufacturer said that it was installer issue until I show it to the customer how much off they were. From top to bottom, nothing lined up, even the clamp that was supplied, will cover up the O2 bung if it used. That is fitment issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 06:08 PM   #35
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My apology on the rant. I just hate hearing a shop calling a perfectly good product as bad product, just because they don't know how to do it properly.
The past week I got a few customers out of state that had issues with bad installer, so after hearing that and reading yours, pissed me off even more that those kind of shops should even be working on nice cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 07:14 PM   #36
ss_m5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
My apology on the rant. I just hate hearing a shop calling a perfectly good product as bad product, just because they don't know how to do it properly.
The past week I got a few customers out of state that had issues with bad installer, so after hearing that and reading yours, pissed me off even more that those kind of shops should even be working on nice cars.
Bro I'm over this. They never said it was a bad product and I never said it was a bad product. I can also say that if there are no rattles or leaks in the long run due to fitment issues, this will be a kick ass product at a great price that lights this car up.

It kind sucks these forums have become more of a marketplace instead of user forums. God forgive you say something negative about a product a vendor sells here. You better be ready because all the vendors will come out to try contradict what you are saying to make everything better. Maybe that's why we don't hear any of the bad reviews anymore.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 03:18 AM   #37
KBM5
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

If you guys read the thread in the beginning. I'm the guy with the 20K bill from BMW for a melted Intake manifold caused by poor fitting secondary downpipes. The story has just been solved, got my car back about a month ago or so. I can write a really detailed post and the full story on what happened with the picture proofs if people request it. Don't get me wrong I had a a 435i that had everything from ER ( charge pipes, intercooler, dowpipes ) but the fitment on the F90 Downpipes is absolute garbage. Take it from someone that just got his car back from BMW after melting the driver-side intake manifold on the car due to a poor fitment on a downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 03:22 AM   #38
KBM5
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Got it.

But I still have a feeling that it is installer issue.
Between me and a few other vendors in this forum, like AutoTalent and X-PH, I can say that we have sold at least 200 sets of ER downpipe to F90 community and I haven't heard any single issue on fitment.
Yes, it is a little harder to install, but there is no fitment issue.
As you mentioned.
"the shop said once they hooked everything up it was buttoned up nicely with no rattles or leaks."

That is not fitment issue. It is more of installer issue.
I bet you if you give him a MSR or Keller downpipe the first time, he will have the same issue.

Too bad I don't have pictures of product fit fitment issues. It is a nightmare. Nothings lining up even with a muscle-ing and the manufacturer said that it was installer issue until I show it to the customer how much off they were. From top to bottom, nothing lined up, even the clamp that was supplied, will cover up the O2 bung if it used. That is fitment issues.

There can't be these many installer issues from so many different shops. We all go to experienced shops all over the world and all face this notorious fitment issue. For me its pretty clear that ER screwed up. Can't be these many people around so many different shop experience the exact same issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 08:32 AM   #39
ss_m5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimbennis View Post
If you guys read the thread in the beginning. I'm the guy with the 20K bill from BMW for a melted Intake manifold caused by poor fitting secondary downpipes. The story has just been solved, got my car back about a month ago or so. I can write a really detailed post and the full story on what happened with the picture proofs if people request it. Don't get me wrong I had a a 435i that had everything from ER ( charge pipes, intercooler, dowpipes ) but the fitment on the F90 Downpipes is absolute garbage. Take it from someone that just got his car back from BMW after melting the driver-side intake manifold on the car due to a poor fitment on a downpipe.
Yes, I would like to know, please send me whatever you have. I might be changing mine to Keller or MSR but would still like to know what happened.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 08:59 AM   #40
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Interested to know more too.
Especially 3 post and directly to this thread.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 10:37 AM   #41
KBM5
Canada
Rep

Here is the story:

I ordered secondary downpipes from extreme power house under the brand of Evolution Racewerks. Once I have received them, I had them installed by my local BMW dealership. I insisted on doing it in my dealership to have qualified labour working on my car. Once the dealership installed the downpipes they told me it was extremely hard to make them fit as the part where the secondary downpipes hooks to the stock primary ones does not align very well as there was very little flex with the downpipes in the area where it was supposed to flex. They were very hard to clamp to the primary downpipes. After 6 hours of labour and a lot of fidgeting they got them to fit. As soon as they started the car up, and the car warmed up, a check engine light came on.

The mechanics were very confused as there was no O2 sensor after the primary downpipes, therefore there is no possible way for the car to sense that there are secondary downpipes installed on the car. They also have done this job previously with eisenmann seconday downpipes and they did not have any issues ( fit much better and were much easier to install ). They ran a scan on the car and saw there was an issue with the intake manifold. The dealership even opened a PUMA case with BMW Canada to try to find the issue. The car threw a check-engine code that advertised a low pressure on the driver side bank of the intake manifold. To confirm that the dealership proceeded with smoke test which helped them identify where the leak is. Using a tiny camera they were able to find where the leak was. After 12 hours of customer paid diagnosis, they found a part of the intake manifold that runs right next to the driver side downpipe, was melted due to the poor fitment and routing of the downpipe. The downpipe runs too close to the plastic part of the intake manifold which made a hole in the intake manifold.

The dealership confirmed it was the poor design or construction of this specific downpipe caused the damage and not an an installation issue. At this point in time I'm stuck with a MASSIVE bill to fix my car and replace the intake manifold of the car.

The downpipes are is defective and have VERY poor fitment and caused damages to my car as assessed by the BMW dealership. You can refer to the pictures attached for reference to this case.

You can see what the engineer wrote at the dealership. I took pictures of exactly what shows on the the screen of my service advisor.

I did get in contact with ER and Fred Su, we had lengthy conversations about 4 Months ago. Now that I got my car back and its working just fine. He said they would cover the expenses for repairing my car if I could prove their downpipe caused the damages to my car. This took some time because BMW needed to get parts from Germany to fix the car. Now that its all done and good to go. We'll see how it goes with ER.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
ss_m572.50
r33_RGSport12965.00
      05-07-2020, 10:46 AM   #42
KBM5
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It kind sucks these forums have become more of a marketplace instead of user forums. God forgive you say something negative about a product a vendor sells here. You better be ready because all the vendors will come out to try contradict what you are saying to make everything better. Maybe that's why we don't hear any of the bad reviews anymore.

There shouldn't be much debate after my previous reply. Happy yours fit even better than mine and did not cause damages to your car.

Safe to say I won't be working with ER for the F90 M5 anytime soon. Had a great experience with my 435 (even if they shipped the wrong charge pipe and caused an extra 4 hours of labour). The parts were high quality and did not have any fitment issues and the black coating was great.

On the F90 m5 on the other hand. Avoid ER at all costs.
Appreciate 1
ss_m572.50
      05-07-2020, 11:05 AM   #43
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
There shouldn't be much debate after my previous reply. Happy yours fit even better than mine and did not cause damages to your car.

Safe to say I won't be working with ER for the F90 M5 anytime soon. Had a great experience with my 435 (even if they shipped the wrong charge pipe and caused an extra 4 hours of labour). The parts were high quality and did not have any fitment issues and the black coating was great.

On the F90 m5 on the other hand. Avoid ER at all costs.
Sorry about your experience, but it sounds ER is trying to do the right thing here.

They offered to cover your expenses if it's proven that their part caused the damage. That's a fair and reasonable offer.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12965.00
      05-07-2020, 11:23 AM   #44
KBM5
Canada
Rep

100% ER and Fred have been extremely reasonable, friendly , and compassionate with the situation. I do recommend working with them. Just not the F90 M5 as per my experience.

They understood where I'm coming from and they are willing to work with me.

This post was in no way to trash their reputation, as again, I've had a lot of parts from ER, they were absolutely great. It would just suck to have another F90 M5 go through mess I've been.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12965.00