BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    AC intermittently not working

12-10-2019, 04:34 PM   #1
srttan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 Competition

AC intermittently not working

Ever since I took delivery of the car the AC has had intermittent cold warm issues. Would be driving on the highway and all sudden start blowing warm air like the compressor doesn't turn on. I start fidgeting with every setting I can then all sudden cold air starts blowing again.

Today drove the car for 15 minutes and the AC never really got cold. Turned the car off at stop light and turned back on and its cold again like normal. Anyone else experience this.

The engine start/stop at times effects the coldness of the air but as soon as the engine starts up it usually goes back to normal.

Thanks for the inputs.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 01:20 PM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I know its a M5 but worth asking anyway! You didn't happen to have it in Eco pro individual mode by any chance? (I'm only a 540 owner , so not sure if a M5 even has that mode?!)
Reason for asking is that that mode allows you to customize various fuel saving measures, one being the air conditioning where it will switch off the compressor for short periods of time to save fuel. The temperature will obvious rise a bit in those circumstances.
You can configure it to not do that if you wish.

If that's not the case, then that doesn't sound right to me from what you've described.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 01:30 PM   #3
Gassy
Soporificist
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5- Rhodonite/Aragon

Could it be that the upper vent temperature is set to warm? In the center console by the climate controls there is a menu button. One of the options is that for controlling the blended temperature of air blowing out of the upper vents. In summer I set mine all the way to cold, with a slight mix of warm for the passenger seat (occupied by my always cold wife). Yours could have a blend of warm mixed in that is affecting the temperature you are feeling. Worth a shot...
      05-31-2020, 01:47 PM   #4
davehsiao
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M5 Comp

Did you ever get this fixed? I just had the EXACT same problem on my 2020 brand new out of the dealership. Finally got it fixed.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 04:47 PM   #5
srttan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 Competition

Yes. Had to do software update and that solved the problem.
Appreciate 1