BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion    Things Dealerships Do That Piss You Off

09-27-2015, 08:33 PM   #23
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

I once negotiated a car deal that the salesman agreed to then when he went and spoke to the sales manager he could no longer honour the deal, just a piss poor salesman there.........he tried to recover but I lost all interest in dealing with this un-professional nonsense and walked out.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 10:57 AM   #24
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
I once negotiated a car deal that the salesman agreed to then when he went and spoke to the sales manager he could no longer honour the deal, just a piss poor salesman there.........he tried to recover but I lost all interest in dealing with this un-professional nonsense and walked out.
Same thing happened to me. It was an out of state deal and after I gave a down payment to hold the vehicle, manager comes back and says that his salesman screwed up.

Was so absolutely furious about that. Thankfully got the down payment back.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 12:53 PM   #25
pnastyFL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ..

I never get any attention at dealers because I'm 21 and usually in gym clothes when I stop by. I always park somewhere they can't see what I pull up in and its amazing how many people just ignore me or tell me they're busy when I'm looking at higher end cars(nothing crazy, used s4 and m3). Then they try to flag me down when they see me unlock my 335 to leave.
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2015, 04:37 PM   #26
CANGRKE70
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5

For me it's about doing things right the first time. When I need to come in 2, 3, 4 times for the same issue I get pissed.

I've had horrible experiences with Parkview BMW in Toronto. They have lost me as a customer for life. I brought my X3 in 4 times for a tire pressure light. The first 3 times they said it was possibly the sensor being "sensitive"...4th time after I demanded the Sr. mechanic to look at the wheels...A FUCKING HUGE NAIL in the tire...WTF...how do you miss that? Same thing happened with my rear passenger doors. They were not closing properly and I had to bring them in 3 times to get fixed right.

The service manager tried to "make things right" by offering me a car wash....ahahahahaha...I told him to keep it, and do your fucking jobs right the first time and stop wasting my time.

When I bought my 2012 X5, part of the deal was new brakes and tires all around. I got 2 new, one slightly used, and one with a nail in it. Worst service department ever. I called my sales rep who truly does a great job, and told him that he's unfortunately lost my business as I refuse to support Parkview BMW, the owners and leadership and the hacks they employ as mechanics.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 04:37 PM   #27
catchm3ifyoucann
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavychevy69 View Post
I never get any attention at dealers because I'm 21 and usually in gym clothes when I stop by. I always park somewhere they can't see what I pull up in and its amazing how many people just ignore me or tell me they're busy when I'm looking at higher end cars(nothing crazy, used s4 and m3). Then they try to flag me down when they see me unlock my 335 to leave.
Happens to me all the time mate. I never understood the business logic of judging whether a customer will purchase a vehicle or not based on their appearance.

Next to add onto the list:
- When purchasing a car, after you have agreed on a price you are taken into the F & I managers office where he tries to convince you to purchase products and insurance coverages that don't do anything. I have had this happen to me when I was helping a friend purchase a vehicle. I kindly stated I know what your job is and what you have to do, but I kindly decline everything you have to offer. After saying that the F & I manager became livid. Furthermore when doing a last final inspection of the vehicle I saw a large scratch going across the front bumper, I asked if that could be corrected, after much back and forth the dealer agree only on the condition I sign the purchase agreements, and finalize financing. I told him that was the most idiotic thing I have ever heard. Further more there was a pack of batteries and a tampon package in the trunk that their fabulous detailers apparently missed. The F & I manager began to scream at me and insult me. I told him his lack of professionalism cost him a sale. After leaving I received 3-5 calls from the Sales Manager begging me to buy the vehicle.

I despise all F & I managers. They waste your time, and when you decline they take it as an insult. Not only that but they are probably some of the most untrustworthy people I have ever met.

Exactly why I prefer the Tesla Model. I buy direct and don't have to deal with all the dealership nonsense.

Another to add to the list: Service Managers
- I have an acquaintance who is a service manager at a high volume dealership. Has told me multiple times that he will push brakes as much as he can regardless if the customer needs them or not. Has told me that breaks take less than an hour to do and they will charge you for 2 hours.
- The typical lie they say that they don't make much of parts is a complete lie.

I'm not saying all dealerships are bad. But there is a huge majority that don't give a dam if you buy a couple cars, they want your $$$$.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 09:17 PM   #28
Bumbleb
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92

I sell cars. I would love to start a thread about people who come into the dealership.

I also sell cars at a loss to the dealership 15 times a month. The reason we do that is so we have a chance to sell product in the finance office and to also get a service customer.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 12:01 AM   #29
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleb View Post
I sell cars. I would love to start a thread about people who come into the dealership.

I also sell cars at a loss to the dealership 15 times a month. The reason we do that is so we have a chance to sell product in the finance office and to also get a service customer.
Anyone who knows anything about car buying knows that most of the crap offered in the finance office is way over priced and crap.

With GPS, Lo-Jack is a joke, most professional detailers can do a better job than that "sealant" con job, and most after market warranties are a waste too.

The only ones that ever make sense (and only with certain manufactures) is the pre-paid service contracts, because they can actually save you some money (assuming you keep the car long enough).

The rest of it is fluff and insulting.

I get the service side of it and if I am treated well on the sales side, I will make a point to give them my business on the service side. The problem with that though is that the sales experience is usually such a hassle and leaves such a bad taste in my mouth, that I normally have no desire to give them by business after the sale.

Sales departments and service departments really should talk to each other more often to get the "bigger picture"
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 12:10 AM   #30
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Make me pay them
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2015, 10:21 AM   #31
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

Refusing to take my money.

I don't have a mortgage on my residence, so I'm right on the edge of itemizing my U.S. Federal income tax deductions or taking the standard deduction. In order to maximize my deductions over time, I alternate between "itemize years", in which I pay 2 years of property taxes (in January and December), and "standard deduction years." (Our property taxes are due on January 31.)

I also live in Texas, which does not have a state income tax, so I can deduct the sales tax I paid during the year on my Federal income tax. The IRS allows one to deduct the actual sales tax paid, which is an enormous amount of work to track, or to use an estimate based on income, number of people in the household, etc. Even when using the "estimate method," however, one is allowed to add on the actual sales tax on certain major purchases, including automobiles.

I ordered my F34 in late 2013, for 2014 delivery. 2013 was an "itemize year," so I very much wanted to pay for the car in 2013, so I could deduct the $3,400 of sales tax. One of our local dealers flat out refused to take my money before the car was delivered. Fortunately the dealer closer to my house was willing to do this. It took a few emails to explain that I wasn't crazy, but they finally just wrote up the order with a deposit amount equal to the full "out the door" price.

Last edited by ipilcher; 09-29-2015 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 01:51 PM   #32
jonze
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Sakhir M3, 2015 X5

"Accidentally" add on a charge or markup until I call them on it. "I'm not sure what happened...we'll fix it." I had one give my mom $x for the trade in, and then increase the price of the new vehicle by the same amount. Thanks for trying to steal the car, guys!
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2015, 05:38 PM   #33
Bumbleb
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Anyone who knows anything about car buying knows that most of the crap offered in the finance office is way over priced and crap.

With GPS, Lo-Jack is a joke, most professional detailers can do a better job than that "sealant" con job, and most after market warranties are a waste too.

The only ones that ever make sense (and only with certain manufactures) is the pre-paid service contracts, because they can actually save you some money (assuming you keep the car long enough).

The rest of it is fluff and insulting.

I get the service side of it and if I am treated well on the sales side, I will make a point to give them my business on the service side. The problem with that though is that the sales experience is usually such a hassle and leaves such a bad taste in my mouth, that I normally have no desire to give them by business after the sale.

Sales departments and service departments really should talk to each other more often to get the "bigger picture"
Exactly why my customers like me is what you guys are talking about. I have zero issues pulling out the invoice to show you the real deal you are getting.

I am the Internet Manager here and let my customers know what is ahead of them in the finance office and let them know what I recommend and what i would personally use in each situation (gap...)

I personally take you back and introduce you to the service department when we are waiting to see finance.

You are right the bigger picture means happier customers and since most of my pay is from Satisfaction Surveys I do my best to make sure you actually enjoy the experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 05:40 PM   #34
Bumbleb
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonze View Post
"Accidentally" add on a charge or markup until I call them on it. "I'm not sure what happened...we'll fix it." I had one give my mom $x for the trade in, and then increase the price of the new vehicle by the same amount. Thanks for trying to steal the car, guys!
That is not excusable this is the stereotype I fight against everyday
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2015, 11:58 AM   #35
oolas3
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

When they attempt to charge a "documentation fee." Hell no I'm not paying you $500 to draft a bill of sale.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 01:43 PM   #36
Slapshot9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 JzB 6MT

Asking for a perfect score in their Customer Satisfaction Survey.
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2015, 01:58 PM   #37
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
focused on their own sales to get their numbers in, rather than listening to what the clients want...

I've purchased 4 BMW's in the past 4 years (all brand new) from different dealerships. None of the sale reps ever had interest in capturing repeat business...each one of them that sold a car goes for good and never tried to keep with the client for an eventual future sale...(repeat business is always the easiest)...none of them had the skills or experience to make that happen...at least from the 4 different dealerships and 4 different sale reps that I've worked with...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 09:50 AM   #38
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot9 View Post
Asking for a perfect score in their Customer Satisfaction Survey.
I hate that but if it warrants a perfect score I'll do it. My CA when I bought my M4 was awesome and I gave him a perfect score.

Now 3 years ago when I bought my VW. I got a great deal but the salesguy was pushy so I pushed back. I fucking shat on him on the customer survey and even contacted VW corporate. The dealer's manager even called to make things right and I told him I really did appreciate his call but his sales team is a complete joke.

Had a similar experience with a different VW dealer after I got some routine service performed. Service department was horrible. I booked an appointment for 8am, granted I know that's not the actual time my car will be seen, but I wanted to get in there first thing. Got there and there was a line of Hondas and Kia's lined up for service. At least 10... like WTF. I assume they are the used cars they sold and the owner bought a 'service package'. I go in to turn in my keys and fill out paperwork etc... The service guy is chatting on G-chat with his GF or someone.... I stood over him while he was doing it. Took forever... he spelled my name wrong, got the vin number wrong and had to go out to the car and look bringing a note pad with him. The place smelt like shit and there was NO place to even sit down because all the Honda and Kia owners were there. After 4 fucking hours 2 of which I spent standing up or just sitting in a showroom Jetta I got my car back. No apology like "Sorry it took so long" just a "we'd appreciate a perfect score on the survey that you may be getting". I shit on them too and this time VW corporate called me. I let them have it over the phone and same day the service manager and general manager called. I told them they were they worst dealership I've ever dealt with and customer services goes a long way. They had none. For about 2 weeks I continued to get calls from VW corporate... I didnt have a problem talking to them but told them the same thing every time. I think they did lose their 4 star rating eventually and rightfully so.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 11:08 AM   #39
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleb View Post

I don't sell cars but guessing the list of things that people try to pull on the dealers is also long. I am extremely thankful that while in sales that it is business to business and I avoid some of it.

Difference is a "Dealer list of things that piss them off" wouldn't be popular with the masses.
      10-03-2015, 12:03 PM   #40
B.M.W.
Something Danger Zone
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E46 M3

Quote:
I'm not much older than you, heck I still get carded all the time for cigarettes or beer. I remember going to look for my e90 & no salesmen would give me the time of day. I'd ask them to help me out & they'd pretty much shew me away, until I walk over to my car then they change their mind.

Once I stopped by a BMW dealership to look at a Z4 35is after working in the yard. I was wearing a dirty white t-shirt & tan khakis that looked almost coffee colored. I asked four salesmen for help & after thirty minutes I walked back to my car, a 996 C4 Turbo body kit, then rolled the windows down & drove by a salesmen that I spoke to before who was showing a customer a '05 X3.

He basically ran away from her to ask what he could help me with. I told him I was interested in the Z4, but wanted to speak with the head of sales first. Three minutes later, I'm inside at his desk & tell him I'm never buying a car from the dealership after how rude his staff had treated me & the lady on the X3.

I found a small used car dealership that gave me more respect & an amazing deal on his personal e90. I've recommended his business to most people that ask me about buying any car.

He even bought 2015 WRX w/ 800 miles for one of my friends & sold it for $3,000 under the MMR value for it.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 12:19 PM   #41
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Quote:
Salesmen work on commission. If they waste their time on someone dressed like a bum and who is 21 years old who clearly looks like he has zero chance of affording the car than they miss out on the opportunity to sell one when a person who actually can afford the car comes in. If you want to test drive an M4 then look like you belong there.
Appreciate 4
      10-03-2015, 12:24 PM   #42
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

What annoys me at the dealer is I negotiate the price before I get to the dealer have financing line up and then I still have to listen to the spiel by the guy trying to sell me rip off things. Like GAP insurance, paint guard, wheel protection, LoJack. Even when I say I will not bey any of this under any circumstance they still make me say no to each one multiple times. And I tend to schedule my appt. an hour before closing so they will want to get out of there quickly. Still end up spending 2 hours at the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 01:37 PM   #43
sixburgh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6 MT BMW PE

Giving you a BMW loaner and the TPMS light shows a low tire.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 05:52 PM   #44
Bumbleb
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post
What annoys me at the dealer is I negotiate the price before I get to the dealer have financing line up and then I still have to listen to the spiel by the guy trying to sell me rip off things. Like GAP insurance, paint guard, wheel protection, LoJack. Even when I say I will not bey any of this under any circumstance they still make me say no to each one multiple times. And I tend to schedule my appt. an hour before closing so they will want to get out of there quickly. Still end up spending 2 hours at the dealer.
You do know that legally the finance guy has to go over that stuff right? A lot of what they do is covering the dealerships ass having you sign that you are declining the coverages.
Appreciate 2